• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

I got say that while it's a simple additional, I really like seeing the driving lines of people on my friends list during License Tests. Even if you're having issues with the test you can simply watch their lines to get an idea of what to do.

Anyone else find it strange the Stig racing suits are super cheap? 500 Cr for the helmet and 2,300 Cr for the suit. All the other outfits are 20,000+ Cr.

benzy

Got my anniversary edition and hopped into the HSV. The handling physics in this game, phew. So much better than GT5's.

LegoDad

This game just plays so much better than GT5, and the menus aren't a hassle, loading into races could be a little faster but aren't like GT5 bad, just wish i didn't have to scroll to go to exit, let me move to the left and get out quicker, or let me click next event like a cup if I don't need to back out.

TTG

The Anniversary Alpine's dash/dials are sort of amazing. Anni C2 Vette is a boring as wall paper paste, understeering bundle of underwhelment.

So, is the general consensus to adjust to 720p if you're playing in cockpit view and, if so, can you do it in the game settings or do you have to drop out to the XMB?

So, is the general consensus to adjust to 720p if you're playing in cockpit view and, if so, can you do it in the game settings or do you have to drop out to the XMB?
Thats the recommended but I wouldn't recommend it. Jaggy city.

So there's the choice: major framerate drops in cockpit view at 1080p or jaggies and a PS3 system wide setting of 720p.

My first impressions from playing this are anything but positive. This series is truly showing its age. At this early stage I would've preferred map pack DLC for GT5 to this.

Custom soundtracks are iffy and the game may just decide to play its own tracks instead. And did they ditch practice mode in A-spec? Can't find it so I stuck to time trials in Arcade mode which seems to be the same thing.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
- If you want a solid frame rate, switch to 720p (see Digital Foundry).
- AI has been improved, it just isn't overly aggressive like some other racers.
- The loading and UI in general is considerably faster. The first time you load anything it installs while it loads, which could explain why some people are mentioning slow loads.

There are standing starts in career mode, I just did one!
In a Go-kart...

Also, the short loading time has been one of the highlights so far. Mind you how much of that is down to my new SSD I don't know, but some races go from main menu to starting the race in like 10-15 seconds, it's insane!

I think Metalmurphy was going to set up the NRL again, but he got banned for something so...

Well, I've just opened it, it's downloading a 1GB+ patch already?! Doubt I'll play it any tho, it's 6AM here :p
Tomorrow I'll definitely run this baby a whole lot

This game just plays so much better than GT5, and the menus aren't a hassle, loading into races could be a little faster but aren't like GT5 bad, just wish i didn't have to scroll to go to exit, let me move to the left and get out quicker, or let me click next event like a cup if I don't need to back out.
It's the worst with license tests because they're so short usually. Just give me the option to go to the next one!
What settings are people with Fanatec wheels using? For some reason, sometimes my acceleration will randomly begin to drop as if my foot isn't on the pedal.
Long shot, but do you have any assists on?

Arklite

This game simultaneously looks better and worse than GT5, the new anti-aliasing method is really taking a toll. Cars in the distance shift and shimmer like they're made out of 500 polygons.

Man, those
moon missions
are a surprising amount of fun. This game is fantastic.

Rally trials in the name of humanity. A true accomplishment compared to all that geological nonsense they were doing.

you can press the back button (O button) to be taken to the exit option with one press

Are they going to be patching in an interior for the benz concept car? seems kinda strange to make such a big deal about the VGT and not have full cockpits

LegoDad

you can press the back button (O button) to be taken to the exit option with one press

Are they going to be patching in an interior for the benz concept car? seems kinda strange to make such a big deal about the VGT and not have full cockpits

That's how it used to be, but with GT5 not doing it, I didn't even try that. Thanks, will do this, saves a good 10-15 seconds each time.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Thats the recommended but I wouldn't recommend it. Jaggy city.

So there's the choice: major framerate drops in cockpit view at 1080p or jaggies and a PS3 system wide setting of 720p.

My first impressions from playing this are anything but positive. This series is truly showing its age. At this early stage I would've preferred map pack DLC for GT5 to this.

Custom soundtracks are iffy and the game may just decide to play its own tracks instead. And did they ditch practice mode in A-spec? Can't find it so I stuck to time trials in Arcade mode which seems to be the same thing.

What? I thought lowering it to 720p added more AA like with GT5. Not so here?

How is your opinion on the IQ of GT6 compared to GT5, is it as bad as the videos have shown or is it not that noticeable.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Is this a title best suited for physical, like GTAV, or is the digital version up to par? Also what's the download size?

Midnight and no daily login bonus
revEvvO.gif

frogg609

Long shot, but do you have any assists on?

I do not. I used the settings I had for GT5 and it was fine in that game. I'm really not sure what's going on, so it's kind of frustrating. Hopefully someone will have some decent Fanatec settings that work for it, because using this game with the DS3 is not nearly as fun.

Overall, I think 6 is a much better game than 5. Just form the menus alone, it's easier to find what I'm looking for, and to go to the things I want to go.

I think it looks decent. Sure there's some graphical things that I'm sure wouldn't look so rough if it were on the PS4, but it doesn't bother me that much (play with the cam that is from the front of the hood perspective).

The custom soundtracks is cool, I like being able to pick my own music, I just wish it wouldn't get stuck on picking the same song every time I restart due to failing. That's aggravating.

Driver AI still doesn't care that you are there. It'll just run its line and bump you. I'm used to it, but I was hoping/expecting better.

I'm pretty tired now, but will be playing more tomorrow, even with a controller. I hope we get patches and updates like we did for 5 to fix the small annoyances.

supersaw

I haven't noticed much significant framerate drops so far, and I've played on a variety of tracks in 1080p.

Some tracks its fine like London for eg and that has a fair bit of geometry etc., the worst one for me has been Mt Panorama which is a shame because it's a nice track. At times it feels like its dipping to 20fps and trees have really nasty dithering on them, tried it in freerun with just the one car it seemed a bit better but still massive drops in parts.

I hope they address some of these frame-rate issues. Was there much improvement to GT5 in terms of frame rate over the course of its lifespan? I only got it in 2012 and had to download a few gig of patches initially, there was some tearing in a few tracks but framerate seemed fairly stable in that.

Did PD change some of the Mission Race times in 1.01? I was having issues on Mission Race B-3 and went to see the route someone used on Youtube and noticed that the Gold time on his game was 36s while mine is 35s.

I've noticed with the jaggies it depends on the curcuit. Race circuits like Silverstone with lots of lines, barriers and what not tend to show them up worse than other circuits that are more organic and less suffused with straight lines etc. Whether or not they're worse than GT5 I can not tell (have'nt played GT5 in months). But they are there.

So far I'm happy with the game. But it is straining under the hardware of the PS3. I was genuinely surprised when GT6 was announced. I could'nt believe they could eek out any more performance from under the hood. In some repects they have in others they have not. Still, I am getting back into a GT game quite happily.

Eusis

Decided to Redbox this, and so far it feels a lot easier to get into than prior GTs. Probably because I'd get myself stuck in trying to immediately ace licenses rather than just race at first THEN worry about that. Also helps I actually got all golds on my first set this time.

supersaw

But it is straining under the hardware of the PS3.

Thing is I'm sure more people would have been perfectly happy if they just fixed the UI added some cars and tracks and cleaned up the standard cars. A steady framerate should always be more important in a racing game than graphics. I don't really care about new lighting models if they drop the frames down to a slideshow.

nded

Just started the game and bought the Caterham 7 as soon as I could; it's like falling in love all over again. If it weren't for the non-functional gauges and hilariously low-res hood emblem, I would think it was a premium car.

Go to your garage, then free run. It's kinda silly you have to the garage though.

I think it's much better than navigating Garage > Main Menu > Practice forwards and backwards for every car you wanted to try out in GT5.

LegoDad

The AI is better but now it rubberbands. Keep having faster lap times but the CPU will keep up unlike the past lap, and then when I slow down for a corner they run into me, which counts as a disqualification... I'm glad I get penalized because of rubberbanding.

spwolf

if you notice drops, then drop to 720p... i didnt notice any. I dont play in cockpit, but i did check how it looks in every car i played so far (about 15).

Jaggies are less than GT5. It is PS3 game, it has same amount of jaggies on distant lines as for instance COD4 on XB1. It is noticeable only on some tracks.

Overall, game looks a clear step above GT5. From tracks, to standard cars and their shadows.

GT5 had screan tearing on some tracks in 1080p. I never noticed a drop on any track in 1080p so far, although i am not sensitive of it, but anyone could notice drops and tearing in GT5.

So it performs better than GT5 thats for sure.

spwolf

Decided to Redbox this, and so far it feels a lot easier to get into than prior GTs. Probably because I'd get myself stuck in trying to immediately ace licenses rather than just race at first THEN worry about that. Also helps I actually got all golds on my first set this time.

it is definetly better paced than before for sure... i never cared about career in GT, but here I am playing it still and its fun. Usually I do time trials for 600-700 hours first.

Now it is time to connect the G25.

I've mainly been playing arcade races rather than the career. I really LOVE racing in the snow and at night. Charmonix looks insane, I like taking photos of that track.

Also I feel bad for redeeming the anniversary cars already, I'm gonna keep all of them in the stock yard and forget that I can even use them. Not liking the livery helps with that though.

Top Bottom