• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

LegoDad

Yeah, they've definitely changed the times for the Mission Races. They eliminated a very big cushion that they once gave you

Mission Race B-5 (1.00) - 2:24.500

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-7umXerhzM

Mission Race B-5 (1.01) - 2:20.800

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzjH4iQXfTI

Basically anyone that got the game before 1.01 had a really easy time with Mission Races.

You have to be kidding me.. my best time on B-5 is 2:21.203. So I am screwed because I downloaded the update...

What's the "stockyard." I was in my garage updating my car images, and saw there was a "move selected cars to Stockyard" option.

I want to try it, but I'm afraid I won't know how to undo what I did, lol.

Skunkers

The AI is better but now it rubberbands. Keep having faster lap times but the CPU will keep up unlike the past lap, and then when I slow down for a corner they run into me, which counts as a disqualification... I'm glad I get penalized because of rubberbanding.

That's a pretty bold statement right there. Since I can take a car with no acceleration advantage and walk the computer by running a faster racing line (putting 10-15+ seconds on them in a race), I feel confident in saying there is no rubberbanding. You were probably getting drafted or just underestimated how well the AI was doing.

What's the "stockyard." I was in my garage updating my car images, and saw there was a "move selected cars to Stockyard" option.

I want to try it, but I'm afraid I won't know how to undo what I did, lol.

Pretty sure it's cloud storage for your cars. I put one in it and it gave me a progress bar like it was uploading, then the car disappeared from my car list. Went back into it and sent the car back to my garage, same deal. Not 100% sure, but that's what it seemed like.

Just started the game and bought the Caterham 7 as soon as I could; it's like falling in love all over again. If it weren't for the non-functional gauges and hilariously low-res hood emblem, I would think it was a premium car.

This is why GT6 is so awesome. The sheer number of cars is so ridiculous that basically everyone has their own personal set of favorites.

LegoDad

That's a pretty bold statement right there. Since I can take a car with no acceleration advantage and walk the computer by running a faster racing line (putting 10-15+ seconds on them in a race), I feel confident in saying there is no rubberbanding. You were probably getting drafted or just underestimated how well the AI was doing.

When I improve my time by 5 seconds, but the CPU still finishes right behind me, there is rubberbanding. It's not in races, it's in certain missions, it's there to push you harder than your ghost so you can get the best time.

Pretty sure it's cloud storage for your cars. I put one in it and it gave me a progress bar like it was uploading, then the car disappeared from my car list. Went back into it and sent the car back to my garage, same deal. Not 100% sure, but that's what it seemed like.
Hmm, that's interesting.

spwolf

Yeah, they've definitely changed the times for the Mission Races. They eliminated a very big cushion that they once gave you

Basically anyone that got the game before 1.01 had a really easy time with Mission Races.

so far i have logged in 2 times in past 16 hours, and there were 2 small updates each time, so maybe they are adjusting things as they go.

Skunkers

When I improve my time by 5 seconds, but the CPU still finishes right behind me, there is rubberbanding. It's not in races, it's in certain missions, it's there to push you harder than your ghost so you can get the best time.

Ah, thought you meant in races. Haven't done any missions yet.

LegoDad

Ah, thought you meant in races. Haven't done any missions yet.

Then add in the CPU ramming you from behind when you are on a good run, and getting spun out or DQ'd for collision and that mission/ the game starts to get annoying. That's crappy AI.

Dead Man

So you could just not update right?

What purpose does that serve? Is there a garage limit, or is it just so you can remove them from your garage so they don't clutter it up?

Pvax

Neo Member
It's my understanding that the stockyard is just another layer of sorting for the garage. It let's you take cars that you want to keep but don't think you'll drive a lot and hide them away so it's quicker to find the car you want to race with.

With 1200 cars, the list is bound to get pretty big after awhile.

Dead Man

It's my understanding that the stockyard is just another layer of sorting for the garage. It let's you take cars that you want to keep but don't think you'll drive a lot and hide them away so it's quicker to find the car you want to race with.

With 1200 cars, the list is bound to get pretty big after awhile.

Hmm... I would rather better sorting options. Speaking of which, how are the sorting options?

You have to be kidding me.. my best time on B-5 is 2:21.203. So I am screwed because I downloaded the update...

It's not too bad, I managed it last night with 0.5s~ spare. I turn my ghost into a line on the track and make sure I am always ahead of it, really helps.

I like with the licenses your can see your friends lines. Makes it really handy that if you beat them, you've got gold (assuming you know they have gold etc :) )

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any consensus yet on performance differences between 720/1080 and cockpit/bumper? I'd like to drive in 1080/cockpit but if performance is much better in 720p I'll switch down.

Skunkers

What purpose does that serve? Is there a garage limit, or is it just so you can remove them from your garage so they don't clutter it up?

No idea. That's just what it seemed like to me. Maybe to share cars with friends? Does the in game manual cover it? I'm not at my ps3 to check.

Pvax

Neo Member
Hmm... I would rather better sorting options. Speaking of which, how are the sorting options?

In your main Garage you can choose between:
All Cars, Favorites Cars, Pull up a list of Manufacturers, or select a Filter.

If you select Filter - these are your options:
Filter By PP, Power, Drivetrain, Weight, Region/Country, Year

Once that is selected, you can sort the actual list on the right by
Date Used, Date Acquired, PP. Power, Weight, and Year,

Stockyard is listed separately below and has the exact same options.

Haven't been too bothered by performance issues at 1080P in cockpit mode but there absolutely is still screen-tearing. It's not too bad but I notice it for a few seconds in pretty much every race.

The Jason

Looks like most of you are enjoying GT6.

I wish I could play it but my package got left at the sort facility by mistake. Damn you UPS!

But its ok I have monday off so I will recieve it and enjoy it then.

Any consensus yet on performance differences between 720/1080 and cockpit/bumper? I'd like to drive in 1080/cockpit but if performance is much better in 720p I'll switch down.
I drive almost exclusively on the bumper view (tradition and personal preference). After one day/night of playing through all the N and nA events with side stuff I can't think of a single time enough frames dropped to where I felt like it detracted from the experience, which is more than I can say about GT5. The result is I feel more focused on my driving since I'm playing from scratch with zero assists. Sort of regretting that decision as I go over 550PP. Ugh.

That isn't to say there are absolutely zero drops, of course but haven't felt any shock from any kind of jolt or multiple lost frames. Playing on an original fatty chassis, not that it should matter much.

From what others have said the general consensus is that things are smooth at 720p in cockpit view but that has its obvious downsides. Picking a zoomed-view for the cockpit would help. It's in the options ... somewhere. If you want the immersion you can probably go for the 720p but you might want to swap back if some trials/missions are giving you trouble. Much easier to nail kerbing, spot brake points and the like.

Anybody get the NSX Concept '13 yet? I'm interested in hearing how it performs.
The version they threw into GT5 (a free DLC, I think?) was extremely underwhelming, so yeah I'm also a but curious about this.
Please don't hurt me if I'm somehow confusing this for a different concept car they added on top of the C7 Corvette.

Dead Man

I guess so. But i've already made the plunge so i'm just going to have to figure out how to shave my time down.
LOL, my slow arse will need to do them then update if I do cave and get the game :)
No idea. That's just what it seemed like to me. Maybe to share cars with friends? Does the in game manual cover it? I'm not at my ps3 to check.
Sharing cars would be good, I was hoping they expanded that from 5. I want to be able to tune a car then have friends drive it to compare to their tunes, without having to post all the details of the setup.
In your main Garage you can choose between:
All Cars, Favorites Cars, Pull up a list of Manufacturers, or select a Filter.

If you select Filter - these are your options:
Filter By PP, Power, Drivetrain, Weight, Region/Country, Year

Once that is selected, you can sort the actual list on the right by
Date Used, Date Acquired, PP. Power, Weight, and Year,

Stockyard is listed separately below and has the exact same options.

Better than previous by the sounds of it, I'd still like to see the ability to set ranges for values.

Caved in and bought this.

I'm mostly positive so far. The Vision GT stuff is just awesome. I cannot wait to see some of these insane concepts. The fact that Guigario is designing a car just for GT is so cool.

It's so frustrating how outdated the car list is, though. This was a problem with GT5 too. Why is there a crummy '98 Mercedes A Class in the dealership instead of this?

Mercedes-Benz-A-Class-W.jpg

No Alfa 4C or La Ferrari either. :( Of course there are some unexpected additions that I love. Like that random 70's Mazda concept :lol only Kaz, man.

Can I no longer adjust the force feedback strength for my G27? It seems like those wheel settings are locked to those driving force wheels?

cormack12

Gold Member
Cross post from older GT post that went unanswered. Need some solid GAF advice. I'm waiting for driveclub at the moment, but just wondering if I could get into GT this late?

I need GAF to help me like GT :/ So my history isn't really that great with the GT franchise, I'm not a hardcore and I don't think I picked up a release prior to GT5 on PS3. Coming from the likes of PGR etc. I was kinda like 'WTF is this?!' when doing the license tests. I threw it by the wayside.

Anyway fast forward about a year ago I bought it again for like £4 from local blockbuster and to be honest I can see the appeal now but some things bug me and I just want to know if they are staples of the franchise or GT5 was just not the best showcase. GT6 looks amazing.

My main problems with GT5 were:

AI: Admittedly I'm still only on the second level up on C License but I have no desire to sort of complete the C class. The AI driving is just boring, it's just like a small snake chain and I have no problem breezing past them on corners, with little collision.

Speed: Everything feels like I'm crawling.

I tried the GT6 academy/demo and it was actually a lot better but I'm not sure if the full game will still be as above........thoughts? Maybe it's just not for me?

Also I'm not sure about the whole race/unlock thing. I think I need to win races to buy cars. Buying cars allows to enter class specific races right? Is that it though?

EGOMON

Caved in and bought this.

I'm mostly positive so far. The Vision GT stuff is just awesome. I cannot wait to see some of these insane concepts. The fact that Guigario is designing a car just for GT is so cool.

It's so frustrating how outdated the car list is, though. This was a problem with GT5 too. Why is there a crummy '98 Mercedes A Class in the dealership instead of this?

Mercedes-Benz-A-Class-W.jpg

No Alfa 4C or La Ferrari either. :( Of course there are some unexpected additions that I love. Like that random 70's Mazda concept :lol only Kaz, man.

I think we will see a lot of new cars through DLC but yeah there are many obvious missing cars

OK, this is really starting to grow on me, but I just couldn't hack 720p. Playing at that setting on my TV is just.... wrong. Can't do it and can't stand the visual noise that comes from it.

So the framerate does take a hit (I play cockpit views exclusively) but just about every other aspect of the game is improved. I'm loving the enhanced lighting and skyboxes. Still getting a handle on the physics changes but thats most of the fun right there ;P

Just completed all the B license tests so I'm still in the early going but I was able to take the car they give you for getting gold to Ascari and the Nordschleiffe for a shakedown, and both tracks are wonderful. Ascari is technical but fun and the Nordschleiffe at dawn with the visual upgrades is even more stunning than I remembered it.

Menus are quick, and you almost always have all the game's basic options just a button press away. Tracks also load very quickly so I don't understand the complaints that have come up in some of the reviews.

The first two races, in 720p with their flat lighting and lull-you-to-sleep engine drone didnt get things off on the right foot. Neither did the game defaulting to face buttons for accelerate and brake, nor did the lack of basic control options short of remapping every last button yourself - which is nice, but still, you'd think there would be a decent set of default schemes to choose from.

So yeah, once you settle in there's a lot to like here, and I *am* seeing the refinements over GT5 and thats all I wanted. As long as the framerate drops don't affect me more than they have things should be fine.

Cross post from older GT post that went unanswered. Need some solid GAF advice. I'm waiting for driveclub at the moment, but just wondering if I could get into GT this late?

I need GAF to help me like GT :/ So my history isn't really that great with the GT franchise, I'm not a hardcore and I don't think I picked up a release prior to GT5 on PS3. Coming from the likes of PGR etc. I was kinda like 'WTF is this?!' when doing the license tests. I threw it by the wayside.

Anyway fast forward about a year ago I bought it again for like £4 from local blockbuster and to be honest I can see the appeal now but some things bug me and I just want to know if they are staples of the franchise or GT5 was just not the best showcase. GT6 looks amazing.

My main problems with GT5 were:

AI: Admittedly I'm still only on the second level up on C License but I have no desire to sort of complete the C class. The AI driving is just boring, it's just like a small snake chain and I have no problem breezing past them on corners, with little collision.

Speed: Everything feels like I'm crawling.

I tried the GT6 academy/demo and it was actually a lot better but I'm not sure if the full game will still be as above........thoughts? Maybe it's just not for me?

Also I'm not sure about the whole race/unlock thing. I think I need to win races to buy cars. Buying cars allows to enter class specific races right? Is that it though?

The sense of achievement comes from personal improvement and mastery rather than beating the AI. You need to spend some time with the game and let it sink its teeth into you. You won't "get" the game right away.

Go through the dealerships and find a car you like (nothing too extravagant to start off). Set that as your goal. Win some races. Save up. Buy and upgrade/customize the car and race with it. If you're still not enjoying yourself then the game isn't for you.

I think we will see a lot of new cars through DLC but yeah there are many obvious missing cars

Yeah, I think I read the BMW M4 is coming through an update soon? I hope most of them are free.

The replays having motion blur really makes the replays absolutely beautiful and really improves the look of the game. I was too busy watching the 3rd person "TV camera man" view in replays that the other views are cut down to 30fps as well to add some IQ improvements and motion blur.

It looks fucking amazing.

Speaking of things that are fucking amazing. Bathurst on the hardest settings possible (but with ABS at 1).

I let my PS3 download the game over night, hoping it would be done by morning, only to wake up and realize that the ps3 lost the WiFi signal in around 70%. Now I'm at 75%, got 3 GB left and the download is crawling. That is so annoying.

Take it OFF. You needed ABS in GT5, but not in GT6. Its beautiful to go into a corner a little too hot and lock up the inside front only. Or go in way too hot and feel the steering go unresponsive when both wheels lock.

I will, don't worry. Though I like how ABS set to 1 is no longer super powerful (just like how it set to 0 was too prone to lock UPS.)

EGOMON

I was planning to get PS4 this next week but after playing GT6 am going to delay it until February when DriveCluB is released, GT6 is so good i want to spend more time playing it yeah the car sounds sucks and there is some issues need to be fixed but still the game has a lot of value and content to enjoy

EGOMON

I let my PS3 download the game over night, hoping it would be done by morning, only to wake up and realize that the ps3 lost the WiFi signal in around 70%. Now I'm at 75%, got 3 GB left and the download is crawling. That is so annoying.

I feel ya, for me it was even worse i started the download then i went to sleep only to wake up and find the download somehow paused! not even 1 MB was downloaded lol

cormack12

Gold Member
The sense of achievement comes from personal improvement and mastery rather than beating the AI. You need to spend some time with the game and let it sink its teeth into you. You won't "get" the game right away.

Go through the dealerships and find a car you like (nothing too extravagant to start off). Set that as your goal. Win some races. Save up. Buy and upgrade/customize the car and race with it. If you're still not enjoying yourself then the game isn't for you.

Cheers for that. might give it a rental for a week and follow your first suggestion of just picking a nice car I want and earning enough CR to get it. Much obliged.

Niago

Neo Member
Just to chime in on the purpose of the stockyard.

There is a 500 car limit on the garage, so if you want to buy them all you'll have to put some of them in the stockyard to make space. Presumably for technical reasons as otherwise it's a stupid system.

Pvax

Neo Member
LOL, my slow arse will need to do them then update if I do cave and get the game :)

Sharing cars would be good, I was hoping they expanded that from 5. I want to be able to tune a car then have friends drive it to compare to their tunes, without having to post all the details of the setup.

Better than previous by the sounds of it, I'd still like to see the ability to set ranges for values.

Actually - didn't mention in the post - but the filters allow you to do just that. You can specify a range from a series of choices. Like 300-399 PP etc.

Calabi

My car sounds like its screaming at me when I brake.

Is it a good idea to have abs off completely when your just using a controller?(all other assists are off but that)because I think its going to be really difficult to get the fine braking control.

Melfice7

Assetto uses the same kinda camera of iRacing, where it's not glued to the car, that's a insta win for me, it's not noticeable on the X-Bow in GT6 but on other cars.. while breaking hard or turning its like theres an earthquake, it's disgusting

Can I no longer adjust the force feedback strength for my G27? It seems like those wheel settings are locked to those driving force wheels?

You can adjust FFB strength with the G27 but the dirt/snow tracks and Formula cars for some dumb reason still have a locked FFB setting that overrides your selection.

Buying the Senna suit doesn't unlock shit :(

granturismo678uwi.png

granturismo6_1ghumx.png

granturismo6_2sluzl.png

Every other special suit in the list has a car to go with it so the McLaren must be in the game?

Lotus suit?

Top Bottom