• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Granblue Fantasy |OT| English Translation available as of 2016/04/11!

Rainy

Banned
So like a month ago I rerolled a few times to get a SSR and never really played the game after that since I was waiting for the English release. Just booted it back up. I should probably start by doing some story quests and stuff right? What exactly are Fate Episodes, should I do those as well?

garath

So like a month ago I rerolled a few times to get a SSR and never really played the game after that since I was waiting for the English release. Just booted it back up. I should probably start by doing some story quests and stuff right? What exactly are Fate Episodes, should I do those as well?

Doing story initially is great. That'll get you some ranks and some characters. Feel free to do any and all fates episodes. Those are freebie story quests for individual characters. Free crystals. The AP ones that give skills you can wait on until you need that skill for that character.

Story quests are a great start.

occelinho

Just want to say thank you for helping out. Got my account without any issues and definitely helped my frustration with re-rolling.

Thanks!

Yep, just got my account from him too.
Must be really bothersome with all the requests you are propably getting. :)

So thank you so much!

Hrmmm yeah looks like the game no longer allows you to create an account more than 10 times. Which means no more infinite rolling as it looks like the block doesn't expire.

Moonlight

Banned
This game is actually a lot more engaging than I initially gave it credit for. These early quests aren't giving me much trouble at all, but actual battles seem reasonably involved with all the skills to keep track of and elemental interactions. It's pretty fun.

It was pretty laggy at the default settings. I took it all the way down to minimum settings for the smoothest experience.

That is all on LTE though, I have yet to try it on Wifi. I'd imagine a lot of the problems I was having had to do with bandwidth and not processing, so it could be totally fine on max settings if you have a good connection.
Ah, good to know! Was worried that it'd be close to unplayable on my phone.

Caim

Been playing this on iOS and now that I can read everything I realized I don't think I have a mobage account. How do I go about making one once the game redirects you to the site?

MiTYH

Been playing this on iOS and now that I can read everything I realized I don't think I have a mobage account. How do I go about making one once the game redirects you to the site?

I'm in the same boat as you. If you find out let me know!!

AZYG4LYFE

Neo Member
Alright, so I've gotten the game setup via chrome app with english translation (at last). I don't really plan to reroll at all, I'll just take it as it comes.

Thanks for the info and tips guys and OT!

MSMrRound

Are there any tips for getting the Chrome app to work? I keep on getting redirected to the main splash page with that airship image and I'm not too sure if I'm supposed to login or whatsoever.

Are there any tips for getting the Chrome app to work? I keep on getting redirected to the main splash page with that airship image and I'm not too sure if I'm supposed to login or whatsoever.

are you logged into your gmail account
im logged into mine and its supposed to sync with it
youll have to redownload the app after i think though

For the current player base, yes of course. But I'd like to think when someone says a "huge chunk of the "western playerbase" it means that the total population in the western world that might be interested in playing the game instead of people who are already playing the game.

When I say huge chunck of the western playerbase, I'm talking about the western people who play the game.

I don't really know why you're thinking that "a chunk = everyone" and that "playerbase" also includes people who don't even play.

Whatever though, we could squabble over defintions but I don't think it would add much.

The rest I'm going to say isn't really directed at you btw.
--------

To keep it simplistic.

A complete different server for English players is dumb because:

A. English players who are already invested in the current version won't make the jump.

B. People who aren't playing right now will just follow the English community, which is based in the original version.

There aren't that much people who play mobage in the west, I mean there's a reason why a lot of English versions die after a while.

It's an interesting thing to discuss, "would a complete different server of GBF survive, and between my experience playing these kind of games, the fact that GBF isn't really based on a popular franchise and what I said above, my answer would be a big: Nah.

The only thing this means is that there's no real reason to not start playing right.

An English server isn't announced and I can probably say with 99% confidence that it won't ever come, and if CyGames makes it, it's not going to be worth waiting for since it'll die or will always be in the shadow of the current version (which is perfectly playable for everyone!).

The only things CyGames needs to sort out are:

- English Costumer Support (the news message seemed to imply that they've at least entertained the thought of English people needing support for JP version, we'll see it soon I'd reckon).

- An easy way for all western players to pay without jumping through any hoops.

- Bonus (but not requires): An app in the western stores that's just the Japanese server, mainly because it'll stop people asking question regarding the western app store.

I don't really know why I bothered typing so much about something that won't be relevant for everyone here.

MSMrRound

It just keep on showing me this when I tried launching the Chrome app. Can't even drag past the image to the other side.

6d3525a.jpg

Ranmo

It just keep on showing me this when I tried launching the Chrome app. Can't even drag past the image to the other side.

How odd. That's the site when you aren't in mobile mode...yet you are in the chrome app. That's fascinatingly weird.

Have you tried reinstalling the chrome app?

Totakeke

When I say huge chunck of the western playerbase, I'm talking about the western people who play the game.

I don't really know why you're thinking that "a chunk = everyone" and that "playerbase" also includes people who don't even play.

Whatever though, we could squabble over defintions but I don't think it would add much.

So if you're just saying "people who are playing the game right now have no incentive to switch", then sure, no arguments there. It seemed like you were trying to imply that if they did release a separate version it would be a ghost town because they've already captured most of the english-speaking players population out there... that's definitely possible, but I don't think anyone can prove that one way or another.

MSMrRound

but I don't think anyone can prove that one way or another.

I think the question also boils down to..if there's a official English version, who will be the one managing it? Will it have the same rates? Will we get all the cross-over events and what's not?

Too often, quite a few apps suffered the shutdown due to mismanagement and other factors e.g Gumi's handling of Chain Chronicles, which started bright but burned right off towards the end.

Gizuko

i have like 14 100 ap pots from finishing the tutorial in other apps lol
alltogether 1450 ap worth of pots

Don't! Those are elixirs and their main use is reviving the party, whilst 1/2p potions only give you 50ap and have no other uses. I mean, you can use those elixirs, but is a waste.

Totakeke

I think the question also boils down to..if there's a official English version, who will be the one managing it? Will it have the same rates? Will we get all the cross-over events and what's not?

Too often, quite a few apps suffered the shutdown due to mismanagement and other factors e.g Gumi's handling of Chain Chronicles, which started bright but burned right off towards the end.

Yeah, I don't disagree with the notion that a separate english release may not be worth it at all, just picking out one comment that didn't read quite right. :p

Gizuko

would i rlly need em with a full SSR team?

Wouldn't this game be a really shitty one if you didn't?

Ssr weapons >>>> ssr characters, and then again weapons should have matching skill type with your team for them to be really useful (I.e. Water attack up would not affect fire units), else they are only statsticks.

So you'll eventually die, and sometimes will just retry from scratch (you get your ap back if you haven't completed the quest before) but you'll want to res once you mess an important quest due to a mistake or whatever.

ONe or two menu titles seemed to be untranslated but I cant remember where. Otherwise seems solid overall.

Chrome app keeps giving me weird bugs (images of the character in the background not loading so I get just a white background on the home menu page), getting stuck on the loading screen so I keep having to close and reopen. I guess this is "normal"?

Playing this game for the first time, and it is GORGEOUS. If only other mobile games would use a single cohesive artstyle like this. Akihiko Yoshida has the cutest way of drawing people. Backgrounds are amazing too.

Edit: Hideo Minaba, not Akihiko Yoshida

arevin01

Judging from how Dragon Blaze and Seven Knights ENG version is handled, every patch is bugged and mistranslated, ppl exploiting bugs and glitches, CS support almost nonexistant, so I wouldn't be too eager for the official GranBlue ENG version.

Ranmo

Hmm, is there any way to hide the address bar in chrome on an android phone?

I just scroll down a tad. The browser will stick the top portion of the game perfectly to the top of the screen.

Only works in battles though, haven't found any other way around it. Luckily I use the PC app more then I do the browser on my phone.

It seemed like you were trying to imply that if they did release a separate version it would be a ghost town because they've already captured most of the english-speaking players population out there...

I am partially implying this I guess? I believe that most new players will hear about GBF from someone else. And the "someone else" (news site/forum/friends) will probably guide a big part of them to the Japanese version rather than the English version

but I don't think anyone can prove that one way or another.

Well, it's speculation, we're all just a bunch dudes on the internet after all. Obviously nobody has proof since we can't look into the future.

Is the only way to play this game if I'm from NA is through the chrome app?

Cause I just went through the tutorial and it was a mess. Unresponsive, constant loading, pop up messages all over the place and by the time I went to a draw a character it crashed on me.

I was on mobile btw.

Dragoshi1

Playing on iPad Mini 2, and DANG, the game looks fantastic, and mostly fully voice acted!

And is that Rie Kugimiya as the little dragon whelp?

kiryogi

Banned
Whoops, you're right. Was thinking they looked a lot like Bravely Default's characters, so I just thought it was him. Super cute nonetheless!

That's the thing though, you're not necessarily wrong. Minaba has worked alongside with Yoshida on all his Square works and beyond. He did indeed work on BD/FFT. In fact, he's been around since FF6, but he also did 9, 12, Tactics, BD, BS, and XIV as either art director or background design. :D

Playing on iPad Mini 2, and DANG, the game looks fantastic, and mostly fully voice acted!

And is that Rie Kugimiya as the little dragon whelp?

Yup! And even more famous voices await in the game. The main female knight is Miyuki Sawashiro. :D

The rest I'm going to say isn't really directed at you btw.
--------

To keep it simplistic.

A complete different server for English players is dumb because:

A. English players who are already invested in the current version won't make the jump.

B. People who aren't playing right now will just follow the English community, which is based in the original version.

There aren't that much people who play mobage in the west, I mean there's a reason why a lot of English versions die after a while.

It's an interesting thing to discuss, "would a complete different server of GBF survive, and between my experience playing these kind of games, the fact that GBF isn't really based on a popular franchise and what I said above, my answer would be a big: Nah.

The only thing this means is that there's no real reason to not start playing right.

An English server isn't announced and I can probably say with 99% confidence that it won't ever come, and if CyGames makes it, it's not going to be worth waiting for since it'll die or will always be in the shadow of the current version (which is perfectly playable for everyone!).

The only things CyGames needs to sort out are:

- English Costumer Support (the news message seemed to imply that they've at least entertained the thought of English people needing support for JP version, we'll see it soon I'd reckon).

- An easy way for all western players to pay without jumping through any hoops.

- Bonus (but not requires): An app in the western stores that's just the Japanese server, mainly because it'll stop people asking question regarding the western app store.

I don't really know why I bothered typing so much about something that won't be relevant for everyone here.
so many people need to read this
Is the only way to play this game if I'm from NA is through the chrome app?

Cause I just went through the tutorial and it was a mess. Unresponsive, constant loading, pop up messages all over the place and by the time I went to a draw a character it crashed on me.

I was on mobile btw.
there's also a apk but I have no idea if it has been updated to allow the new English option.

kiryogi

Banned
so many people need to read this

there's also a apk but I have no idea if it has been updated to allow the new English option.

It's just accessing the website so, if you have it set for english on ChromeApp, it will automatically be in english when you access the phone app and log in.

Top Bottom