• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kittonwy

Banned
Himuro said:
I appreciate and admire what was done in SA but I wasn't completely for the huge environments at all times.

Still, I ended up playing 100 hours plus of that game.

But for the console 3d GTA's it is by far my least favorite and least replayable. I've played GTAIII from beginning to end in a speed run playthrough every single time a new trailer for IV has been announced. That's three times in the past year. Vice City, I'm going through that for the second time in a year. San Andreas? I tried to replay it on multiple occasions but I just can't into the mood.

I found GTASA to be the most playable among the three console GTAs.

Run into a fence? Jump and climb over it.
Run into a body of water? Swim.
You can literally run and swim and climb from one corner of the map to the other, and everything is more intuitive.
The only problem is that it's huge, it's just too big to play through over and over again.

Teknoman

"- the multiplayer will be activated via the cell phone. they dont know anything about the multiplayer modes but there will be up to 16 players possible. yet you should not expect a gta iv world of warcraft."

That sounds intresting still....wonder how this is going to play out. Team Deathmatch style or something?

Kittonwy said:
I found GTASA to be the most playable among the three console GTAs.

Run into a fence? Jump and climb over it.
Run into a body of water? Swim.
You can literally run and swim and climb from one corner of the map to the other, and everything is more intuitive.
The only problem is that it's huge, it's just too big to play through over and over again.

I agree to that. But man im really getting hyped up for GTAIV. Any word on Dual Shock 3 compatibility yet? Im thinking about getting the PS3 version (own the rest on PS2, so yeah).

dejay

Banned
Himuro said:
Eh. Its a physics engine, not a graphics engine. :p
Actually it's not a physics engine but rather a character animation engine. From Natural Motion's FAQ on the subject:
Q: Is euphoria a physics engine?
A: No, euphoria is not a physics engine. euphoria simulates the human (or animal) motor nervous system on Xbox 360, PLAYSTATION 3 and PC. One can think of it as biology meeting robot control theory. euphoria integrates with a game's existing physics engine, which provides the basic body physics (commonly known as 'ragdoll physics'). euphoria adds life to the dead physics simulation. In short, ragdolls are dead, floppy bodies. euphoria characters instead are alive and adaptive.
So it's entirely possible there will be both Havok and Euphoria in GTA IV.

Euphoria is the tech I'm most looking forward to in GTA IV and hopefully it will be applied to every NPC in the game. That's gonna take up a lot of computing power, so I'm wondering if they'll be able to pull that off or if Euphoria will be limited to a certain amount of NPCa at a time.

newsguy

Himuro said:

So I saw the credits. Is this a few guys doing a mock up of what they think it will be like? If the final game uses the tech fully I'm not sure I will believe my eyes. That second part where the guy breaks the stick on the guy's head and kicks him on the ground looks so simple, yet brutal. The kick to the face shows the character's weight and makes the scene look vicious.

newsguy

Topher said:
So uh, why no planes? Is it because the of disc reading speed?

I'm bummed about this. Although the trailer shows a pretty badass military chopper so I think that may bring a smile to my face.

It's always been a hope of mine that one day there will be a sandbox game that allows the player access into nearly every single building interior, even if there isn't always something inside. It just adds to the atmosphere, I think. I'd love to duck into an apartment or office building and go up to a high floor and just peer out at the rest of the city. Hopefully GTAIV will pull through with this.

Artadius

One of my favorite past times in SA was getting on the freeway which went around the country area and then randomly shooting at other vehicles going the same direction as me. This always caused them to speed up and drive wildly trying to get away from me.

I'd then pursue them all the while continuing to shoot at every other car we were passing. Eventually, I'd have a big pack of freaked out drivers barreling recklessly down the freeway tearing through so much shit causing so many deaths and explosions.

I wasted so many more hours doing this than worrying about the actual storyline.

Also one of the few games my wife will actually sit down and watch me play... and in fact will actually request that I do so. Score.

Artadius said:
One of my favorite past times in SA was getting on the freeway which went around the country area and then randomly shooting at other vehicles going the same direction as me. This always caused them to speed up and drive wildly trying to get away from me.

I'd then pursue them all the while continuing to shoot at every other car we were passing. Eventually, I'd have a big pack of freaked out drivers barreling recklessly down the freeway tearing through so much shit causing so many deaths and explosions.

Have you ever tried Crackdown? You can do the same thing but it's much funnier.

I've spent hours on the side of the freeway, popping tires of speeders. They flip and roll all over the place. And with Keys to the City, you can spawn ramp trucks anywhere. Place one in a speedy area near a cliff then just sit back and watch the mayhem.

Artadius

Grimm Fandango said:
Have you ever tried Crackdown? You can do the same thing but it's much funnier.

I've spent hours on the side of the freeway, popping tires of speeders. They flip and roll all over the place. And with Keys to the City, you can spawn ramp trucks anywhere. Place one in a speedy area near a cliff then just sit back and watch the mayhem.

:D That game's been in my backlog for a while... you just gave me a big reason to move it to the top. Thanks!

newsguy said:
Are we still predicting a Q1 release? I was hoping around april but now IGN's latest release list shows a Q2 release.
That might be a confusion of normal years and TTWO's fiscal year.

TTWO has stated it will ship in Q2 of Fiscal year 2008. However, their FY ends at the end of October so Q1=Nov+Dec+Jan and Q2=Feb+March+April.

Thus, if they stay on schedule, the latest it will be is the end of April. (Which it probably will be.)

Edit: Ooops! I said 'end of August' earlier. I meant April as per the lines above that.

McLovin

Why was GTA IV pushed to March in the first place? Are they adding some kind of feature? Online maybe? More playground?

bud

Himuro said:
49337163nr4.jpg

i like this shot so much.

dmshaposv

I loved San Andreas and I hope that the more realistic and "raw" feeling from those trailers extends to the actual gameplay too.

I'd love some "raw" hand-to-hand combat...

Takuan

speculawyer said:
TTWO has stated it will ship in Q2 of Fiscal year 2008. However, their FY ends at the end of October so Q1=Nov+Dec+Jan and Q2=Feb+March+April.
Oops, missed this post.

TTWO stock safe!

Dr_Cogent

Banned
- Rockstar will use the Euphoria Engine, known from "Star Wars: The Force unleashed". Result: Every Explosion looks different.

FUCKING AWESOME. All games should use Euphoria or something similar in nature.

Tr4nce

newsguy said:
I'm bummed about this. Although the trailer shows a pretty badass military chopper so I think that may bring a smile to my face.

Yeah, I'm also disappointed that the game will have no airplanes. It has been said that there will be helicopters though, but it's not the same. Airplanes are a nice way to examine the map and get a good overview of the game world.

Don't wanna be a hater (I'm buying this thay done), but I still think it's a shame that GTAIV will not contain rural area's like the ones San Andreas had. Nothing as relaxing as riding through forrest and hillroads on your chopper :D

Edit: when was the next trailer due again?

evil ways

Himuro said:
Since this is pretty much the only GTA topic I figure I'd ask. I'm playing through Vice City now and I've played through this game a few times and I STILL don't understand what happen to the money. Who took it and why? Was it Lance? Did he set his brother up?

Sonny, his men took both the coke and the money. Watch the scene where Tommy calls Sonny up and Sonny's sitting on a table, with both briefcases of coke & money.

Why? cause he's scum, plus it makes perfect sense, have Tommy, who's the Forelli scapegoat take the fall. Lance is just another greedy prick, play Vice City Stories to find out.

Tr4nce

Himuro said:
Why does Rockstar have better music taste than anyone in the industry?

I hope there will be some kind of underground Trance/Dance channel like the one in GTAIII. No offense but all the Urban music in GTA:SA was way too much for me. Please Rockstar, also put in some radio station like the good old FlashBack FM, with 80's hits :D

Tr4nce

Oh, snap I totally forgot that GTAIV will have a multiplayer mode! This has so effin'much potential! Let's hope Rockstar realizes this as well, and that they will execute it very well.

By the way, did I already say that I love this thread?

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom