• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Plasmid

Well, I don't mean to imply that it is perfect but once I got past the race, I played for 6 hours straight last night and had a blast. All my stuff was still there this morning. I do expect to run into issues where my character doesn't save or even have to start over. I hope it gets fixed soon.

LUCKY! I read that if you press X long enough (30-45 minutes) on the "rockstar cloud server down" message it may eventually gather your character etc.

I have class until 6 today so hopefully it'll be better. As long as it's fixed by friday / saturday i'll be happy.

Tawpgun

this is tdm right? why can you bring your own weapons into PvP modes?

Just how it is. I don't mind it now that I have a viable weapon, but when I was stuck with a pistol while everyone else had SMG's it was brutal.

This rich get richer, higher ranking players get an advanage game design shit has got to go. It's getting put into every multiplayer experience

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Trying to be patient but fuuuuuck this is irritating. I'm having a wait it out contest with a black dude and a white guy in a wolly hat. There is 4 of us waiting in this parking lot, how many before this bullshit tutorial starts?

ironcreed

Banned
Just how it is. I don't mind it now that I have a viable weapon, but when I was stuck with a pistol while everyone else had SMG's it was brutal.

This rich get richer, higher ranking players get an advanage game design shit has got to go. It's getting put into every multiplayer experience

Sounds like more of a mess than what we are seeing on the technical side of things. "Buy dem GTA dollars for the ultimate experience!"

Plasmid

Trying to be patient but fuuuuuck this is irritating. I'm having a wait it out contest with a black dude and a white guy in a wolly hat. There is 4 of us waiting in this parking lot, how many before this bullshit tutorial starts?

Your best hope is that everyone quits out. If all quit out it just puts you in with lamar by yourself (after waiting almost an hour this is what worked for me).

akaoni

Banned
Sounds like more of a mess than what we are seeing on the technical side of things.

That's pretty much my impresson.

Unnecessary bloat with loading screens, wait times, levelling systems letter others spawn with full automatics, auto aim online, and the free roam thing getting in the way of just enjoying the game like I would want to.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Had to create a new character because it deleted my level 10 and now it won't even load the shitty tutorial race

Revven

I'd recommend restarting the console and entering online via Solo until you finish all of the tutorial missions. That's how most people get through because the online/servers seriously can't seem to handle connecting so many people to the same first forced mission.

Laughing_Man__

Neo Member
I have never had an issue connecting. The load times are a little long but that is about it.

When I start my game and it starts to load into solo play I right away hit the "A" button to enter online. I have never cleared my cache and never lost my character.

Ted

I'm still get the issue listed as bullet point two below even after re-installing 1.01 and trying every different way of accessing online (i.e. through the char wheel, through the pause menu, during initial story mode load):

R* said:
Issues getting past the first Tutorial Race

10/2/13 Note: Some players have reported being able to get into the Tutorial race by re-downloading the Title Update, which can be deleted from Xbox Home or the PS3 XMB (Game Data Utility, NOT save data). Others reported having luck by selecting "Swap Character" from the Online tab within the pause menu, deleting the character that was unable to get into the tutorial, and then creating a new character. Some who were experience this issue have been able to get in just by trying again later.

o Freezing while loading into first race in GTAO with "waiting for other players" on the screen
o Seeing the same cut-scene twice in a row and then getting stuck on a load screen
o Getting stuck transitioning into the lobby or race while other players are joining/leaving
o Race Corona (start area, marker) not showing up for first race

It takes so long to quit back to the OS and re-load the game after hanging on the blurry city scape load screen I've only tried a few times and I'm still bored to tears.

And the wife will be home in a bit!

Lashley

I have never had an issue connecting. The load times are a little long but that is about it.

When I start my game and it starts to load into solo play I right away hit the "A" button to enter online. I have never cleared my cache and never lost my character.

lucky sob

Was able to complete the tutorial race, store holdup and one other mission(retrieve package) after I launched a solo session. No connection errors and didn't lose my character so maybe things are improving.

It was working so well on PS3 last night. Waking up and reading about all these problems people are still having makes me scared to log in this morning.

Same here. Finished the single player story last night around 11pm central and decided to give online a shot for the hell of it and it worked flawlessly. Got right into the race against Lamar and got into a free roam lobby and played for about 2 hours just messing around the city and other players. Even had 2 or 3 GAF crew members in the lobby so I figured things were starting to work, but reading the thread now I see that's not the case. Hopefully everything will be like last night when I'm done with work in a few hours. PS3 btw.

ironcreed

Banned
That's pretty much my impresson.

Unnecessary bloat with loading screens, wait times, levelling systems letter others spawn with full automatics, auto aim online, and the free roam thing getting in the way of just enjoying the game like I would want to.

It's looking like I will stick to Red Dead Redemption whenever I am in the mood for some online Rockstar free roam. I will of course give this a proper try if and when it ever gets fixed, but I am not liking what I am hearing from those who are able to play. Hell, the character creator was enough to sour me, lol.

I've been playing free aim all afternoon and... I might have to go to soft lock, this shit is too hard! Seems the cloud servers are down for me right now too.

Not that i have a problem with auto aim but it gives a lot of advantage vs people in free mode it should be an death match lobby option not an individual player option.

wanders

So yesterday, a guy had a full $9000 bounty on his head. The whole lobby of free-roamers were chasing after him as well as the cops. For some reason I was driving a big rig with trailer attached.

He says, "help me man, I'll give you some money". I say OK and honk my horn and switch the radio to Rebel Radio to set the mood. Players keep smashing into us, police helis keep us in their spotlights. The song "Convoy" starts to play.

I lost the players when I swerved and detached my trailer super tacticooly. The cops stopped tailing us when I drove into the empty subway tunnels. I take him to a secluded area, and he says "that was close, where we going now?" from the passenger seat.

BOUNTY COLLECTED BY PENNYBAGS

I sent him some of the money to him and flew airplanes with him a bit later because I felt a little bad

Lol I can't wait for more stories like this

Anybody wanna do private sessions free roam ? I wanna goof around/rob stores/do stuff without being shot at by everyone in the game. I'm not interested in any other mode than free roam.

Here's my PSN ID : DarnellTurner

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'd recommend restarting the console and entering online via Solo until you finish all of the tutorial missions. That's how most people get through because the online/servers seriously can't seem to handle connecting so many people to the same first forced mission.
Thanks I'll test this now and report back

Baby Milo

via imgur
Id66vOw.jpg

Thats pretty much as far as I've gotten.

same here shit sucks man : (

My sane experience, have like 12 hours logged on already

jacobs34

Played a ton last night. Got up to level 10 and around $20,000. Had to deal with my character being terribly deformed thanks to the game deleting my first character, hopefully they put in some way to edit your character eventually. No way in hell I'm going to play again until I know the cloud servers are up. I don't want to lose my progress for a third time.

Saganator

Same here. Finished the single player story last night around 11pm central and decided to give online a shot for the hell of it and it worked flawlessly. Got right into the race against Lamar and got into a free roam lobby and played for about 2 hours just messing around the city and other players. Even had 2 or 3 GAF crew members in the lobby so I figured things were starting to work, but reading the thread now I see that's not the case. Hopefully everything will be like last night when I'm done with work in a few hours. PS3 btw.

Yeah last night, upon finishing the Lamar race of uncertainty, it even put me into lobby with a couple of my friends with no effort or issues. We then went on for 3-4 hours doing missions and jobs together. It was glorious. (PS3)

For the record: I also have the best luck pushing X/A when first loading the game.

NeoGiff

Is there any safe way to exit GTAO without losing your character? I'm on my second guy and hes at rank 10...don't think I could stand to lose all my progress again!

Ardenyal

Lvl 7 character gone, lvl 10 character gone, got back in and completed the tutorials... gone aswell..

motherfucking fuck why do i keep going back :(

Plasmid

Is there any safe way to exit GTAO without losing your character? I'm on my second guy and hes at rank 10...don't think I could stand to lose all my progress again!

At this point, no. With the rockstar cloud servers down (which tell the game where to spawn you, what your char looks like etc) old saves are not loading after being kicked out / consoles being turned off. We don't know if they'll all be back when the cloud comes back. But for now there is no sure fire way to make sure you dont lose your character.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Are the cloud servers down? Because this is pointless trying if so...... Solo mode doesn't work for me either

jbortz78

So glad i this thread exists!

Then I dont have to keep getting %&¤#& for getting in to the game.
Will just stick to SP until shit is more stable.

Lashley

Deleting my TU worked. on 2nd character came 2nd in race outta 8 people, neck for neck majority of race

where do i go for survival?

Saganator

Going to the PS Store from pause menu seems like a safe bet. People have been spamming it to make money, and they don't seem to be losing progress. While the people who get booted randomly to SP seem to have their character disappeared.

Laughing_Man__

Neo Member
Yes please !

So being stupid I was swimming around some dock. Drove a bike into the water and was like "Fuck it swim time!" I heard the putter of a heli and looked over. It landed RIGHT next to the docks and I ran over snatching it.

After a few near misses I went to land under a Amunation and for some reason a car spawned just as I was landing. There was the twisting crunch of metal and glass. I was sure something would blow and I would die.

To my surprise I was tossed maybe 5 feet in the air with the car more or less merged with the frame of the copter. Happily I flew around fora bout 10 mins until my tail roater clipped a building and coptercar met its end face down in some park.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm having more fun with the online than I did with the SP. Just wish you didn't lose so much money when you die.

Sounds like they are inserting incentive to sway the impatient and easily angered into buying dem GTA dollars in order to gain the upper hand.

Future

Probably because the models look a bit weird with some grandparents, so you choose the nicest looking ones and they all look similar, I tried to make something different when they kept erasing my characters but they just look off. I find it is the same for a lot of character creators when it comes to female characters, they end up looking pretty similar because they also have a habit of looking the most odd in games.

Also because 90% of the female faces look horrible. Everyone keeps the same half decent looking one
which is still terrible

wanders

So being stupid I was swimming around some dock. Drove a bike into the water and was like "Fuck it swim time!" I heard the putter of a heli and looked over. It landed RIGHT next to the docks and I ran over snatching it.

After a few near misses I went to land under a Amunation and for some reason a car spawned just as I was landing. There was the twisting crunch of metal and glass. I was sure something would blow and I would die.

To my surprise I was tossed maybe 5 feet in the air with the car more or less merged with the frame of the copter. Happily I flew around fora bout 10 mins until my tail roater clipped a building and coptercar met its end face down in some park.

lol some glitches make the game

Thanks for sharing!

BigDug13

So I have yet to get the first race loaded after days of attempts. I tried deleting and redownloading the patch. I tried entering the online mode from story mode by selecting "solo" as well as "invite only", it gets to the part where the dude gets out of his car then it switches to a blurry background with just "loading" at the bottom and plays techno music in the background forever and never moves on.

I don't know what else to do. I'm on PS3 BTW. Are there others who still have yet to ever get into this game even once?

Top Bottom