• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

SHarris78

Is it best to leave online until you've finished the main game?

I haven't put as much time as i'd have liked into the single player mode, if online is going to spoil it then i'll wait until i've completed the game.

NeoGiff

Going to the PS Store from pause menu seems like a safe bet. People have been spamming it to make money, and they don't seem to be losing progress. While the people who get booted randomly to SP seem to have their character disappeared.

Thanks, I'll try this.

Jachaos

So I have yet to get the first race loaded after days of attempts. I tried deleting and redownloading the patch. I tried entering the online mode from story mode by selecting "solo" as well as "invite only", it gets to the part where the dude gets out of his car then it switches to a blurry background with just "loading" at the bottom and plays techno music in the background forever and never moves on.

I don't know what else to do. I'm on PS3 BTW. Are there others who still have yet to ever get into this game even once?

Many like myself

So I managed to get on and rank up a bit..now my character is gone lol. So I have to do the turotial bullshit again and pray it loads. This is absolutely garbage rockstar.

So I have yet to get the first race loaded after days of attempts. I tried deleting and redownloading the patch. I tried entering the online mode from story mode by selecting "solo" as well as "invite only", it gets to the part where the dude gets out of his car then it switches to a blurry background with just "loading" at the bottom and plays techno music in the background forever and never moves on.

I don't know what else to do. I'm on PS3 BTW. Are there others who still have yet to ever get into this game even once?

This is my exact experience. Xbox 360 though.

I've put in about 16 hours in the last two days. It's a ton of fun just messing around with your buddies. Jump out of choppers and see who can go the longest without pulling your parachute, impromptu races, robbing stores back to back until Noose comes, just so much variety.

Mononoke

Banned
So I finally had some progress last night. Was able to play with my character, finally. After I got past the first mission, I got my character up to level 5 just doing robberies, and messing around. However, I wasn't able to do any of the missions/deathmatches/races etc. The server would always say it couldn't connect.

So I get into my account this morning. And I play a solo session again, but now all the blue icons are missing from the map. =/

It's actually worked better on day one for me. I don't get the "servers are unavailable" as often, but that doesn't really help much.
via imgur
Id66vOw.jpg

Thats pretty much as far as I've gotten.
It's like some horrible repeating nightmare. You try and try to walk in another direction, but it is futile, you will enter the techno limbo. :(

Trying to be patient but fuuuuuck this is irritating. I'm having a wait it out contest with a black dude and a white guy in a wolly hat. There is 4 of us waiting in this parking lot, how many before this bullshit tutorial starts?

I haven't gotten the staring contest in so long. You lucky bastard.

CzarTim

Playing tennis is awful online. Every time I get a lead the other person either stops trying or just quits. So weak.

I played and won a set with someone last night only to discover you get no cash or job points for it, just rep. There goes my dream of becoming a pro tennis player :(

This is my exact experience. Xbox 360 though.

My friend was having the theses same issues. The whole loading shit for the race with Lamar. I did figure out a sure-fire fix but it may not be an option for some of you.

If you have a friend, a person you can physically go over to their house, recover your account on their system and create and finish the first 3 tutorial missions. You can then recover your GT on your original 360 and should have no problems. My buddy could'nt get it working for the first day, then we did that and it worked for him. I guess if you trust someone enough, you could give them your account info and they could do it without you having to go to their system.

Chucker

Sounds like they are inserting incentive to sway the impatient and easily angered into buying dem GTA dollars in order to gain the upper hand.

Just stop. The dollars don't magically make you be able to obtain level 20 weapons. Keep talking about stuff you don't know about though.

Also, if you bought a mask, you can put on and take off masks through this menu. If you rob a store with a mask and then take it off while hiding you will lose a wanted star. (in most cases. sometimes it didn't work when I was with multiple people).

*mask swapping is also kind of glitchy. I lost my hair taking it off once and my girlfriend had it stuck on even when she toggled it off. Only way to get rid of it if it is stuck on is to go to a store and switch to a hat.

Does anyone know of a quicker way to take the masks off than having to pull up and go through the inventory menu?

Sounds like they are inserting incentive to sway the impatient and easily angered into buying dem GTA dollars in order to gain the upper hand.

Yeah, they should just give us the best cars, and apartments and weapons from the get go. No need for a sense of accomplishment or progress.

Truth be told, it's not really that bad. Once you hit lvl. 10 money comes very quickly.

Dead

well not really...yet
Sigh another day and another load of failed attempts to get past the intro race.

I've cleared my cache, deleted and remade character, etc. How the fuck are people getting in? I don't get it.

Arcteryx

hmm so it looks like the hacking mini-game is in online too(just did a mission with it). Hopefully it's part of heists: like we could have a hacker, driver, bagmen, etc.

Also got to drive a Stinger GT(hardtop Stinger variant); glad to see it's in MP...for $875,000 lol.

hmm so it looks like the hacking mini-game is in online too(just did a mission with it). Hopefully it's part of heists: like we could have a hacker, driver, bagmen, etc.

Also got to drive a Stinger GT(hardtop Stinger variant); glad to see it's in MP...for $875,000 lol.

Yeah. I did this cool job last night with another person where we had to hack a gate keypad to a mansion and sneak in and repo these high end cars.

Ploid 3.0

I'm so used to being able to record gameplay or take gameplay screen shots that it's like a cruel joke that I can't do it for the rare funny/impossible stuff that happens in online.

Tawpgun

Sounds like more of a mess than what we are seeing on the technical side of things. "Buy dem GTA dollars for the ultimate experience!"

Fortunately, the money isn't a big deal and won't give anyone TOO big of an advantage until maybe the higher levels.

Imm0rt4l

Tried to log on to play this game Beta my character got deleted. The game switches back to Michael playing a videogame with his son. He throws his controller on the ground. "FUCK THIS SHIT, AHH SERIOUSLY"

My sentiments exactly mike.

That meta commentary doe

ironcreed

Banned
Just stop. The dollars don't magically make you be able to obtain level 20 weapons. Keep talking about stuff you don't know about though.

That is good news then. But it surely is there to tempt players who want to buy other things early. That is why they are selling the virtual money to begin with.

Korezo

You was through, you just had to wait the redicolous 10-15min load times. The problem is only if you get an error and get booted once the car pulls up, but if a loading screen pops you just had to wait the long load time for the launcher.

Dysun

4 of my buddies are online playing, so I decided to try it out for the first time.

20 mins later 'Launching session' lol, now I know what it feels like

Clegg

The BAWSAQ has been down for the last few days in my SP game.

Would this be due to the problems with GTA online?

Gerbs

Neo Member
You was through, you just had to wait the redicolous 10-15min load times. The problem is only if you get an error and get booted once the car pulls up, but if a loading screen pops you just had to wait the long load time for the launcher.

Is there a specific message I should be looking for? I've a bunch of different waits that I always dashboard out of:

"Loading..."
"Waiting for players"
"Launching Session"
Or just a blurry screen of the city after I choose a car.

Rembrandt

Banned
Really hard for me to have a full or anything close to it lobby for a mission, which is a shame because these missions seem like they would be really fun with more people.

ironcreed

Banned
Fortunately, the money isn't a big deal and won't give anyone TOO big of an advantage until maybe the higher levels.

Alright then. I'll just have to give it a spin whenever it is all ironed out in order to see for myself. It was just coming off as kind of free to play-ish. But if it is balanced, then good deal.

CaptNink

Wtf at this tutorial mission fucking hell rock star.

My experience, car pulls up, guy gets out and show it to me and car disappears, my fucking guy stands there like the cunt he is, then about 4 people appear beside him and one promptly walks off, the rst of us stand there like assholes.

I must be over-tired today, but your post made me laugh out loud like a crazy person. My co-workers think I'm nuts.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Looks like the servers have exploded again, better not have erased my character this time, which would be the 4th time.

So I checked to see if my character had been restored, and now my banked money has gone too. What the fuck, Rockstar.

If you are talking about seeing the bank account from the character screen, it wont show your bank money after a character has disappeared, but it will be in your bank when you create a new character and play again.

doby

Really hard for me to have a full or anything close to it lobby for a mission.

Same, anything I've got to actually play has only had 1 or 2 other people. If the lobby is fuller it always times out, stalls, fails to connect, blah blah blah

Tawpgun

Alright then. I'll just have to give it a spin whenever it is all ironed out in order to see for myself. It was just coming off as kind of free to play-ish. But if it is balanced, then good deal.

Well, it's balanced by rank unlocks.

So someone with a billion dollars can't do shit unless they are ranked high enough.

The big advantage they get is the ability to buy garages and apartments sooner than everyone? Being rich might give you a bigger advantage once you unlock calling in air strikes and all that.

Arcteryx

haha I just saw a good idea on the subReddit for saving hospital bills: put your money into BAWSAQ(once it's working again). Apparently if your bank balance is 0 the game can't withdraw any money for dying lol.

Looks like the servers have exploded again, better not have erased my character this time, which would be the 4th time.

If you are talking about seeing the bank account from the character screen, it wont show your bank money after a character has disappeared, but it will be in your bank when you create a new character and play again.

So does that mean my character's been permanently deleted?

RS4-

What a load of shit. I finally get through the race and stuff, now I'm doing the car insurance thing. Too bad the same 5 cars are spawning for me

Really hard for me to have a full or anything close to it lobby for a mission.

Make sure that in the mission settings your matchmaking is set to "open" and you you click auto-find players at the top. Pretty sure this will make it so you just don't invite the players that are only currently playing in the world you are in. Should also bring other people looking for matches from other games.

Rembrandt

Banned
Make sure that in the mission settings your matchmaking is set to "open" and you you click auto-find players at the top. Pretty sure this will make it so you just don't invite the players that are only currently playing in the world you are in. Should also bring other people looking for matches from other games.

Yeah, I've been doing that. I can get 2-3, sometimes more, but most of the time it's just me and another person. I wanna get a full game for that Crooked Cop mission.

Top Bottom