• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

KoyukiNL

Neo Member
Please Odin say it isn't so my character has gone and so has all my money...??

Upon joining I got the popup message "rockstar cloud servers are having a wank and are unreachable at this moment in time" then mere seconds later the connection was restored and I was asked would I like to try and reconnect...I said yes.....and nothing.

I aint gonna make another fucking character this is like 5th one in 3 days.
Having the exact same problem right now. Hope they come back in a couple of hours.

Nope. All the "story" character missions are 1-2 players or 1-4 players. You can play alone, but they can be challenging. I did one mission with wonzo earlier where we kept failing, and on the third try, after he died near the start of the mission and we were out of lives again, I drove to Ammunation, stocked up on bullets and more armor, and managed to finish the mission solo while playing reaaaaaaaally carefully. We got 9k each, so it covered the death penalty expenses at least. Lol.

Try playing some missions on Hard... Holy crap. I got shot in the head by the AI while driving 80 mph down a road....and he was behind my vehicle.

Finally got in and past the first race! :3

Now you just need to..

-do a drug mission
-get clothes
-get a vehicle insured to you
-rob a liquor store
-play TDM

then you are done with the tutorial.

aro52

The presentation in the game is really crappy and there's a lack of explanation for a lot of simple rules and progression in Online, so I'm not surprised if you're really confused, so lemme help clear some things up.

- As long as you play GTA Online in Free Roam mode, you will occasionally get missions offered by story characters which are similar to single player missions, except with co-op options often up to 4 players (hopefully more in the future). These are the missions you're probably looking for, and they'll always be there. You can also call characters like Gerald and Simeon, and request for jobs, and they'll send an invitation to such missions which you can accept and then invite friends into.

- The "Missions" you see as stars on the map are not really the same thing, although they have the same job category (mission). Those are either Last Men Standing (aka: Team Deathmatch) or Team vs Teams activities which are capture the flag style, or other sort of challenges which pits one side against another.

Rockstar really likes to throw crap out completely undocumented. Lol.

Thanks. I'll give those guys a call tonight. (if the game lets me back in!)

Nemic77

Wow. Had so much fun this afternoon. I bought a Pegassi Bati 800 and spent the afternoon chasing bounties and escaping thugs. You drive by so fast, most can't hit you at all.

Still I feel like players tend to hassle you more when they see you ride a bike.

One thing I don't like is the engine/turbo unlock requirements, but they make sense, I guess...

kris.

Banned
Am I right in thinking the first race is the bottleneck and that once I'm passed that the experience smooths out?

I think so. I just switched back to single player after finishing the first real mission in GTAO and back and it seems to be working. Hoping that my character doesn't disappear after I shut the game down or something. :/

Arcteryx

Am I right in thinking the first race is the bottleneck and that once I'm passed that the experience smooths out?

Yep. The intro is what seems to be fucking up for most people; once you're past that it's working pretty well.

It seems to really open up once you reach lvl 10+.

This is what happened to me as well, but with an ugly character... When the game prompted to me teh possibility to change my appearance once, i was happy like a baby

Characters got deleted again.

"Go to the race trigger." I'd love to. I'd really love to, but it doesn't exist.

Edit: If the race trigger isn't appearing, it seems like you just have to restart your game.

You can't take selfies in any flying vehicles. You can take a regular shot of the window though.

As for rubberbanding, I believe you can turn it off in the race menu along with traffic and setting time of day.

I was doing the missions solo. Also since I could look after myself I got the no death bonuses. It was slower but it was fun, tougher than SP missions and more creative in how you approach them.

Nope. All the "story" character missions are 1-2 players or 1-4 players. You can play alone, but they can be challenging. I did one mission with wonzo earlier where we kept failing, and on the third try, after he died near the start of the mission and we were out of lives again, I drove to Ammunation, stocked up on bullets and more armor, and managed to finish the mission solo while playing reaaaaaaaally carefully. We got 9k each, so it covered the death penalty expenses at least. Lol.

NIce to hear that ..i can be a team player but i don't like being forced to be a team player ..i kinda like the fact that i can do things on my own.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Please Odin say it isn't so my character has gone and so has all my money...??

Upon joining I got the popup message "rockstar cloud servers are having a wank and are unreachable at this moment in time" then mere seconds later the connection was restored and I was asked would I like to try and reconnect...I said yes.....and nothing.

I aint gonna make another fucking character this is like 5th one in 3 days.

Hold out. You should get him back when you reconnect to the cloud. In the meantime, you can use the 2nd character slot.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
So yesterday, a guy had a full $9000 bounty on his head. The whole lobby of free-roamers were chasing after him as well as the cops. For some reason I was driving a big rig with trailer attached.

He says, "help me man, I'll give you some money". I say OK and honk my horn and switch the radio to Rebel Radio to set the mood. Players keep smashing into us, police helis keep us in their spotlights. The song "Convoy" starts to play.

I lost the players when I swerved and detached my trailer super tacticooly. The cops stopped tailing us when I drove into the empty subway tunnels. I take him to a secluded area, and he says "that was close, where we going now?" from the passenger seat.

BOUNTY COLLECTED BY PENNYBAGS

I sent him some of the money to him and flew airplanes with him a bit later because I felt a little bad
YOU MONSTER!!!

The missions in general are shit.

I like a lot of them.

Go here, get this, come back.
Go here, get this, come back, go here, blow this up, kill that guy.
Go here, get this car, get rid of the cops, come here.
Go here, get this car, respray, come back.
Go here, kill these dudes, steal this money.

...Can't wait for heists.

Pennybags

Rockstar apparently say character disappearances are related to the installation of new servers. At some point they are supposed to reappear.

YOU MONSTER!!!

I like a lot of them.

Go here, get this, come back.
Go here, get this, come back, go here, blow this up, kill that guy.
Go here, get this car, get rid of the cops, come here.
Go here, get this car, respray, come back.
Go here, kill these dudes, steal this money.

...Can't wait for heists.

Some of the multiplayer missions/deathmatches really shine.

Fighter jets vs dirt bikes
Fighter jet deathmatch
Tank deathmatch
Protect the bodyguard

Off the top of my head, those can be pretty cool.

dandoolan

Still haven't been able to launch the first race, although if I'm being honest wondering if it's worth it at the rate people are loosing characters.

Staab

Hey BritGAF, man up !
I've been inviting like 5 of you to missions and you all decline yo, what's up with that ?!
WHERE MY CREW AT NIGGAS ?

Ploid 3.0

Well now I have my character permanently saved to note pad. It got deleted again as I was trying to get past the race this time.

0/100
0/100
M
0/100

sleep 100

Hey BritGAF, man up !
I've been inviting like 5 of you to missions and you all decline yo, what's up with that ?!
WHERE MY CREW AT NIGGAS ?

It's too easy to not notice the invites. They show up as little blip texts, you almost think it's the story progression. If they are just messing around they will tune it out.

So I'm back on. got connected right away, had my character and money. Got right into a mission and the invites were working this time. I finally just had the experience I expected. PS3

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Rockstar apparently say character disappearances are related to the installation of new servers. At some point they are supposed to reappear.

Some of the multiplayer missions/deathmatches really shine.

Fighter jets vs dirt bikes
Fighter jet deathmatch
Tank deathmatch
Protect the bodyguard

Off the top of my head, those can be pretty cool.

Ho shit!

And like I posted yesterday, Rally Races are freaking AWESOME.

Driver has no minimap and can't see checkpoints.
Passenger frantically tries to explain wtf to do... cuzz, ya know, not a single gamer in the world knows how the fuck to do a rally race

eival

robbing stores with a helicopter as the getaway vehicle is OP, i also like how the cops in MP all of a sudden act like GTA 4, spawning in your way, knowing the general area you are and leaving the initial area where the crime took place and following you...such BS

As I said before, in the absence of my favorite mode, cops and robbers, lots of the missions are similar and great.

I just had a 2 on 2 where we had to race to the stash and get it to the base. With only 2 people on a team it was the insanity and fun I remember.

Oscar worthy perhaps :p

Skidd

I wait one day and now I'm finally able to see the starting credits. But then tutorial race.

I take it I'm not supposed to be "Waiting for other players" for more than 5 minutes?

Steroyd

I can finally do the initial race, and I've started doing missions yay, although some missions aren't loading for me still, I can at least free roam now. \o/

dandoolan

I wait one day and now I'm finally able to see the starting credits. But then tutorial race.

I take it I'm not supposed to be "Waiting for other players" for more than 5 minutes?

Unfortunately not. I've been restarting for nearly an hour trying to get into the first race.

Arcteryx

robbing stores with a helicopter as the getaway vehicle is OP

Being the getaway driver in passive mode is OP lol. I was doing that earlier and the cops weren't shooting at us for some reason(presumably because I was in passive mode I guess); seems like a pretty big exploit potentially for heists.

So is there anyway to change what my character looks like or should I start a new one?

Around level 6 you get the chance to reset it.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So is there anyway to change what my character looks like or should I start a new one?

Before level 6 you can change the design of your character by going to the select a character screen when launching into solo mode.

After level 6 you are given a prompt and locked into whatever look you choose.

I have waited that long before and then it connected, but not normally. It's still busted but getting better.

Try playing some missions on Hard... Holy crap. I got shot in the head by the AI while driving 80 mph down a road....and he was behind my vehicle.

Now you just need to..

-do a drug mission
-get clothes
-rob a liquor store
-play TDM

I'd just love to make it past TDM!!!

Ya no

What level do you unlock automatic weapons at? I've only gotten to level 5, twice now, before my characters get deleted and have only gotten a sawed off shotgun and the first hand gun.

Arcteryx

What level do you unlock automatic weapons at? I've only gotten to level 5, twice now, before my characters get deleted and have only gotten a sawed off shotgun and the first hand gun.

Mini Uzi is like ~lvl 5 and SMG is around ~lvl 10 or so.

I've just been using pistol/shotgun for the most part. No real reason so far to have automatics(and waste all that money on ammo). Body armor is about the only thing I spend cash on atm.

Tevious

I'm finding it quite hilarious to block the doors with a heavy vehicle as someone robs a store. Either they get trapped inside or it slows them down enough that the cops have the building surrounded.

Autofokus

Now you just need to..

-do a drug mission
-get clothes
-rob a liquor store
-play TDM

You can quit out with 'Circle' (or 'B') in the lobby for the last one (Last Team Standing) - still counts.

Played a 2p co-op mission (retrieve some car) with some random. About to get into the car, my random friend shoots me dead from behind to get it..I don't think he knew that we were supposed working together, more clear in-game descriptions would be wise.

Top Bottom