• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

This isn't growing pains. This is stillbirth.

The game 'GTA Online' works. Not reliably or as intended, but it does work. I was playing for a good two hours today. It is not 'stillborn,' that is serious hyperbole. Give them some credit! Its a huge undertaking and the potential, once stabalized, is enormous.

Ploid 3.0

Nope, PS3 here and i'm playing my character from yesterday right now.

Anyone think it's safe to buy a garage yet?

The message is that cloud is down and progress won't be saved. I just exit out and try again after seeing that. Progress not being saved is probably how my characters vanished. Screw that.

I suppose the cloud is what saves data for the persistent character stuff. They should just let us save it client side. Too bad that would probably be a bad idea due to modders.

Mononoke

Banned
I can't really get the quick job thing to work. If someone invites me to a job or deathmatch, it works. Also, if I go UP to the icon where the mission/race/deathmatch is, it will take me to the lobby. The problem is, I have no clue what the majority of the room is doing. The only way in the past was doing quick job from the phone, which would put me in something with the others.

So basically, I really can't do anything. Unless I get lucky and find an icon where everyone just happens to be doing it. Quick job always ends up having connection issues.

You mean Los Santos Rock Radio

My man.

39568904_0_xlarge.jpeg

jtrov

I've gotten pretty lucky so far. After repeated attempts of clearing the tutorial race on the night of the MP's release, I was finally able to get in and I've had no issues since. Both today and yesterday have been smooth for the most part. However, I did run into some type of glitch yesterday where it would immediately fail a job right after loading it in.

Once you're in though the game is just addictive as the SP, except now it's cooperatively, competitively, or just lone wolfing. And the freedom that comes with that is pretty damn fun.

For instance, after loading into a session I was just looking to scrounge some money and RP before calling up Simeon or Gerald for some missions, by robbing a few stores. Well after robbing the first store another player in the game rolls up along side the entrance. My guard is up because by nature I'm assuming this guy is just going to blast me the second I walk out of the store. Instead he blows the horn, lets me hop in and helps me evade the cops. We somehow find ourselves well into the desert where he stops the car, gets out, and then runs away like a crazy person. Having no idea what just happened, I thought about just using his car to get back into the city as I didn't feel like finding a car. But instead the car starts making this weird ass beeping sound, so without taking any chances I just decide to leave the vehicle. Well I maybe get five yards from the vehicle before the damn thing just explodes.. I had no idea what just happened, or if that guy was plotting that the entire time, but damn was it awesome.

Also, I don't know what is up with "Good Sport" / "Bad Sport". Earlier I was trying to evade the police and during the chase they flipped my car over. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but after the car was destroyed it notified me of being a "Bad Sport". Even though the car wasn't marked green on the map like Simeon's requests normally are.

Oh well... I don't understand it, but other than that I'm enjoying my time with GTA:O.

The message is that cloud is down and progress won't be saved. I just exit out and try again after seeing that. Progress not being saved is probably how my characters vanished. Screw that.

I suppose the cloud is what saves data for the persistent character stuff. They should just let us save it client side. Too bad that would probably be a bad idea due to modders.

Red Dead had your progress saved client side (I recall backing up my save which had my character status), and I never had problems with it. Meanwhile, Max Payne 3 and now GTA Online save it server side, and I've experienced loss of progress in both games. In MP3, I've lost a level or two occassionally.

Gawge

Give them some credit! Its a huge undertaking and the potential, once stabalized, is enormous.

This launch has been absolutely terrible. Seriously awful.

From managing to play a couple of hours here and there (before having characters deleted) - there is definite potential for fun. But - that being said - this isn't anything mindblowing. Between GTAIV, NFS:MW and other online games, it has mostly been done before. This could definitely be incredibly fun, and a very enjoyable online experience (which is why I am so eager for it to be remotely stable). I'm not sure any amount of 'revolution' in an online game could justify this poor of a release, but this game certainly doesn't.

dandoolan

I gave up trying to get into the first race after two hours. Hope my characters there when I get back to try again. Not that he has achieved anything.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Officially like "What the fuck"

Spent an hour looking for a coquette
evaded cops, asshole players for 20 or so minutes
roll up to LScustoms
"This vehicle is too hot to modify! Purchase high end vehicles online!"

So what you're fucking telling me is that I can't steal 'better' after earning a high enough rank to see them in the world, I have to purchase them like a law abiding citizen?

Isn't the name of this game "Grand Theft Auto"... as in "I just stole this fucking car"?

Ah well, it was a fun ride while it lasted. Too bad I sold my tricked out car in hopes of getting a 'better' one.

This launch has been absolutely terrible. Seriously awful.

From managing to play a couple of hours here and there (before having characters deleted) - there is definite potential for fun. But - that being said - this isn't anything mindblowing. Between GTAIV, NFS:MW and other online games, it has mostly been done before. This could definitely be incredibly fun, and a very enjoyable online experience (which is why I am so eager for it to be remotely stable). I'm not sure any amount of 'revolution' in an online game could justify this poor of a release, but this game certainly doesn't.

Well the original point of my post was for people to direct any issues to Rockstar as they come up. I have. I want the issues to be resolved as much as anyone else.

Mononoke

Banned
By the way, for those of you that have characters deleted, I've realized that they WILL eventually come back. However, if you make two characters in that time, it will shift them over, and it will delete them. So if you can't get on, just don't get on. Wait till later. Don't keep creating characters, as it will delete the one you made. At least that is my experience. They aren't actually deleted (at least that's my understanding), the cloud servers that host them just aren't up. Hence they aren't loading.

Can anyone tell me where it's supposed to show if you're a Bad Sport or what not?

Thanks.

ps. Not that I have been lol!

edit: I've noticed I can't shoot the fuel tank on vehicles like in single player, anyone else?

Sanic

Looks like everyone is still having issues. Are characters being wiped still? I'd like to try this (for the first time) later tonight but I won't bother if characters are getting destroyed.

360 here.

karasu

Why did my character randomly change from a black dude with dreads to bald white guy with lipstick? What is going on here?

Walshicus

The game 'GTA Online' works. Not reliably or as intended, but it does work. I was playing for a good two hours today. It is not 'stillborn,' that is serious hyperbole. Give them some credit! Its a huge undertaking and the potential, once stabalized, is enormous.

Launch intact or not at all. If this were a beta it'd be forgivable.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I make another character, do that race for the millionth time, sit through a few more slighty-amusing-the-first-time cutscenes... game decided to just give me tip screen after rip screen. And endless loop.

Great... I think I'm done with this.

Saganator

By the way, for those of you that have characters deleted, I've realized that they WILL eventually come back. However, if you make two characters in that time, it will shift them over, and it will delete them. So if you can't get on, just don't get on. Wait till later. Don't keep creating characters, as it will delete the one you made. At least that is my experience. They aren't actually deleted (at least that's my understanding), the cloud servers that host them just aren't up. Hence they aren't loading.

This makes sense, but it doesn't explain why my 2nd slot character hasn't ever come back. Only time I used the 2nd slot up was on Tuesday and she's been long gone.

I've yet to be able to do Cypress Flats LTS - seems like I need to do this to progress forward. Ugh, I don't know why I keep trying. I've lost two-three characters in the meantime, but each had little to no progress...

One all the bugs are ironed out, and issues resolved, this will be a lot of fun.

Evolved1

It must be pretty easy for you to have such an enlightened, understanding position... since you have admitted the game works for you.

Good for you dude. Good for you.

Ploid 3.0

Officially like "What the fuck"

Spent an hour looking for a coquette
evaded cops, asshole players for 20 or so minutes
roll up to LScustoms
"This vehicle is too hot to modify! Purchase high end vehicles online!"

So what you're fucking telling me is that I can't steal 'better' after earning a high enough rank to see them in the world, I have to purchase them like a law abiding citizen?

Isn't the name of this game "Grand Theft Auto"... as in "I just stole this fucking car"?

Ah well, it was a fun ride while it lasted. Too bad I sold my tricked out car in hopes of getting a 'better' one.

You can see and drive any car at level 1. Too hot to moddify is just a level limit. They don't do a good job at identifying which cars are limited to which level though.

Ploid 3.0

so i played online without gold mem
is this a free trail
how long it will last

Ooh thief? Stealing xbox live gold without paying. I hope MS don't bann your account. Now that people see your post expect others to abuse this exploit!

Serious
That's interesting, very weird.

Evolved1

So are there no real beards in this game?

Was pretty disappointed from the customization when I finally started poking around in the various stores.

Mononoke

Banned
This makes sense, but it doesn't explain why my 2nd slot character hasn't ever come back. Only time I used the 2nd slot up was on Tuesday and she's been long gone.

That's crazy. Both of mine came back eventually. I hope to hell that these wipes aren't permanent. My character at level 10 just got wiped (but I'm also getting the error message telling me the cloud servers are down. So it at least tells me I can't access the character). If the character isn't back, I'm done with this.

sqwarlock

Got in and got past all the intro missions. Once I was back in the world I guess voice chat was enabled or something cause I heard 3-4 players chatting. First things I heard were "faggot-ass nigga" and "why'd you shoot me, faggot". Call me overly sensitive, but I quit after that. Either I'm just going to play Online solo in a private session, or not at all cause I don't have many friends on PS3.

Evolved1

Got in and got past all the intro missions. Once I was back in the world I guess voice chat was enabled or something cause I heard 3-4 players chatting. First things I heard were "faggot-ass nigga" and "why'd you shoot me, faggot". Call me overly sensitive, but I quit after that. Either I'm just going to play Online solo in a private session, or not at all cause I don't have many friends on PS3.

You can mute everyone. Hold select, it's in that menu.

Gorillaz

Your character will most likely come back as long as you don't keep trying to save over your original slot. I mean if you were a low level then fuck it and keep trying but for the guys that were 7,8,9 and higher I would just try to wait it out.

Part of me thinks they will do a complete wipe down of the cloud server when they fix it tho

Riggs

Banned
Played for 6 hrs last night, had a level 8. Now he is gone, and I made a new dude in same slot. Man this sucks .... all my cash is still in the bank too lol.

Friends Menu seems to be completely broken for me at the moment. Shows all my friends as though they've never played GTAO and I can't join or invite. -_-

Plasmid

Your character will most likely come back as long as you don't keep trying to save over your original slot. I mean if you were a low level then fuck it and keep trying but for the guys that were 7,8,9 and higher I would just try to wait it out.

Part of me thinks they will do a complete wipe down of the cloud server when they fix it tho

I think they're already doing it. Abnormally large amounts of people losing their accounts than the last few days.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Top Bottom