• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Ploid 3.0

So did the patch fix things? People no longer having characters deleted?

For first time ever I could reload my character without it corrupting

My first slot character is still not there. The new second slot caught up already though.

It sucks that they nerfed replaying good money missions. I could have made it there if my characters didn't keep vanishing.

duckroll

IMO people need to look at the game as a long term prospect - the stuff that costs hundreds of thousand, that's very very high level players. The kind of high level that most of us will be in a few months.

I think you're mistaking what is currently available in the game for "long term prospect" when it's not. A few months for hundreds of thousands? No way. Playing properly right now you'll probably make that in a week if you're playing the game regularly. The reason people are spamming 9k paying jobs is because it helps elevate the feeling of grind from losing 2k every time you die anywhere. As you increase in rank and get more options the missions start to pay more and more. Grinding 9k missions where you have to kill tons of dudes and risk dying is no different from grinding races. So "celebrating" that they disable one but not the other is stupid. Have you considered that some people also like playing co-op missions more than competitive ones?

Anything that is in GTAO right now is meant to be attainable very quickly. Anything that is "long term" for months ahead is not in the game yet, because Rockstar will be adding them. Once they add Heists in, it'll probably throw the entire economy out of wack immediately. :p

cormack12

Gold Member
Actually got let in last night. Got up to Cypress Flats 'Last Man Standing' then couldn't join a session. Really annoying.

I hope they do a reset of stats and stuff as I don't want to be a 'bad sport' when it finally starts working.

E92 M3

I don't care what anyone thinks of me, but I'll definitely be getting the cash packs...at this point time is more valuable than money to me. And also I don't have any friends that play this game, except one guy.

Everything is disabled until the game actually runs properly for everyone. Currently you can't even buy stocks in multiplayer. The content creator hasn't launched either. They're probably not going to enable buying cash until things actually work as planned.

Yeah they need to fix game saving.

If I spend money on a card to buy a 400k apartment and I loose it as well as having the money debited from my account I'd be pissed.

For me at least I had no problem making money. before my character got deleted I had about $60,000 just from doing deathmatches and races alone. Money came in steady for me since the payouts from winning were pretty decent.

MNC

So, tell me this. How is the playing with friends? How does playing with other people work in general? you join the world and get put in a 16 player server? Is there anything to do in the overworld? If you want to do some mission or whatever, does it connect to the overworld or do you end up in a seperate mission bubble or whatever? Deatchmatch and racing sounds so.... Dull. What else is there to do?

Also how is transitioning between sp to mp and vicd versa?

Imm0rt4l

Downloaded patch. My character still gone. My buddy says he'll throw some money my way when I create a new character though.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Downloaded patch. My character still gone. My buddy says he'll throw some money my way when I create a new character though.

If your money was in the bank, it should still be there when you make a new character, it doesn't always display your bank balance correctly on the character screen.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Ah ok, i see, thanks for the info. I hope that they will add some quick-join thing for co-op missions :)

There is, isn't there? On the phone, second row down on the left. The Quick menu. Races, deathmatch and... missions? Not at home right now so can't check but sure it's there.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think you're mistaking what is currently available in the game for "long term prospect" when it's not. A few months for hundreds of thousands? No way. Playing properly right now you'll probably make that in a week if you're playing the game regularly. The reason people are spamming 9k paying jobs is because it helps elevate the feeling of grind from losing 2k every time you die anywhere. As you increase in rank and get more options the missions start to pay more and more. Grinding 9k missions where you have to kill tons of dudes and risk dying is no different from grinding races. So "celebrating" that they disable one but not the other is stupid. Have you considered that some people also like playing co-op missions more than competitive ones?

Anything that is in GTAO right now is meant to be attainable very quickly. Anything that is "long term" for months ahead is not in the game yet, because Rockstar will be adding them. Once they add Heists in, it'll probably throw the entire economy out of wack immediately. :p

Car mods are incredibly expensive and are level locked. The high end apts are really pricey, I don't anticipate being able to buy them for weeks. I base my timing estimates on the usual, grown-up idea of being able to play maaaayyybe an hour a night every couple of days. Folks who are level 25 already... I try not to think about those weirdos :p

All I know is that if I went into a server and everyone was spamming the same mode and would not play in a natural manner, I would get annoyed fairly quickly. I also love the co-op missions and play them whenever possible. I just don't like grinding the same content repeatedly. To do that just to get an arbitrary currency is pointless when you'll earn it eventually.

I do however agree that the death penalties are too high - there should be no death penalty in missions IMO.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
It might be annoying having to create the character and go through the introduction like 5 times, but Lemars reaction to my lady walking out and trying to hit on her never stops being amusing.

There is, isn't there? On the phone, second row down on the left. The Quick menu. Races, deathmatch and... missions? Not at home right now so can't check but sure it's there.
Missions aren't necessarily missions. There's stuff like Last Team Standing and some other competitive games mixed in there. Confusing, I know.

PS3 version working flawlessly for me now, although its still early in the day so the real test is later as load increases

Did they bring back GTA$ at all? I didnt see an option to buy in the online menu.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
So is online still a disaster zone?

Yes, but less so. They patched PS3. Xbox still waiting, as far as I know.

So, tell me this. How is the playing with friends? How does playing with other people work in general? you join the world and get put in a 16 player server? Is there anything to do in the overworld? If you want to do some mission or whatever, does it connect to the overworld or do you end up in a seperate mission bubble or whatever? Deatchmatch and racing sounds so.... Dull. What else is there to do?

Oh, mate, besides co-op and survival there are some hilarious modes: parachuting (with guns!), fighter jets vs dirt bikes, protect the VIP, tank death match, GTA race, CTF (with cops on)... There's loads.

Siegmeyer

Haven't managed to join one race where the host had rubberbanding turned off. It's the racing equivalent of auto aim and it sucks.

Rembrandt

Banned
Coke Run or whatever is a lot of fun. The game modes are so much better than IV; I've had so many great, cinematic moments. My only complaint is that it's still kinda hard to get a full game for missions. I think it's because I'm hitting auto-invite instead of skilled players, since auto-invite invites people I played with and skilled brings in all new people.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Haven't managed to join one race where the host had rubberbanding turned off. It's the racing equivalent of auto aim and it sucks.

Wow, I haven't noticed that setting yet. Is it really called Rubberbanding?

although to be fair, I used to hate it in GTA4 where you'd make one mistake and may as well quit since there was no chance of even placing. I like how you get something even if you place far down now.

erawsd

IMO, there should be no death penalty at all. It really hurts some of the fun of just dicking around and having fun in the free roam world. It should only apply if you have undeposited cash and, even then, I think it should only be a percentage of what you have on you.

People are actively avoiding any confrontation in the free roam world which boils everything down to missions that, while fun, aren't really what I want in a multiplayer Grand Theft Auto.

slash3584

I played to level 5 with a new character yesterday, logged off (start > quit GTA Online) to connect a mic and my character was gone, even my money on the bank was gone.

Hope this is some kind of database access issue

Gawge

Downloaded the patch earlier, and played a good few games.

I'm not sure whether my first character has returned, but my second has gone beyond it now anyway. Just throws me straight in as this character,

I have played a few games around this time on previous days though, then run into problems going into late-afternoon and evening. Though, I didn't get stuck in aerial view once, or lose my character - so that is good.

It still sucked trying to get into a decent lobby though. The first random one which I went into had a lot of people, but one guy just said "joining", so the game couldn't be started. People started to leave, and the host migrated to me. Finally we started 2v2 - and played a few games with 4 and 3 people. It seems impossible to get people into your games though, I have tried every option, but other than if people on your friends list want to join - that seems about it.

I was running with someone last night, walked into a gas station together and tried to rob it. Well, what I do is fire at the bottles and stuff behind him, this always gets the money faster and makes them intimidated.

Instead of firing though, I turn around and pistol whip the dude with me lol. Yeah, wasn't expecting that.

I found a secret I think too. I tried a new character last night and could not get in. Then realized my setting was changed to aim-assist during one of the jobs i did before on a previous online game. Well, I changed my setting back to free aim and bam, im playing again.

I think the population in the free aim servers are MUCH lower then those of the aim assist.

I just got my first bad sport warning. During a mission I accidentally caused a chain reaction of explosions (by shooting a car's gas tank) that ended up destroying my teammate's personal vehicle. Whoops.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Coke Run or whatever is a lot of fun. The game modes are so much better than IV; I've had so many great, cinematic moments. My only complaint is that it's still kinda hard to get a full game for missions. I think it's because I'm hitting auto-invite instead of skilled players, since auto-invite invites people I played with and skilled brings in all new people.

Still loads who can't get on too. When it's fixed, I'm sure more folks will be playing.

Siegmeyer

Wow, I haven't noticed that setting yet. Is it really called Rubberbanding?

although to be fair, I used to hate it in GTA4 where you'd make one mistake and may as well quit since there was no chance of even placing. I like how you get something even if you place far down now.

No, it's called 'Catchup'. I'm fine with coming in last if I make a mistake, makes them more intense.

Imm0rt4l

If your money was in the bank, it should still be there when you make a new character, it doesn't always display your bank balance correctly on the character screen.
Yea, I think he just wants to incenivize me to play since I dont really want to since losing my character.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Yea, I think he just wants to incenivize me to play since I dont really want to since losing my character.

Ay, it is annoying as hell, on my 5th one now, I think If I kept losing all my money I would have given up by now. Not getting on I can deal with generally, but constantly losing progress every day is starting to get me down.

EekTheKat

So this is the character I've been using since my old one vanished and hasn't returned.

67rBqFC.jpg

Worked out pretty well I think compared to my old attempt, which went overboard with the makeup and the crazy haircut.

Signing off for the night, hopefully this one stays longer than the old one.

Can somebody give a brief rundown of what the patch does? I'm really afraid of playing this seriously because my characters keep disappearing

Chucker

That is good news then. But it surely is there to tempt players who want to buy other things early. That is why they are selling the virtual money to begin with.

Well sure. Somebody level 4 in a chopper came at me and I riddled him with my SMG (Level 5 unlock I think) and stole his stuff.

I say let them waste money.

Also, this makes me laugh more than it should.
Pre-game Taunting

p3tran

Banned
so, everyday in gta online is like groundhog day...
until now, I get to start the next day with less money, less guns and equipment, and less garage than what I had when I left it off.
will this be fixed -like soon?

gal-groundhog-day-murray2.jpg

Rembrandt

Banned
Can somebody give a brief rundown of what the patch does? I'm really afraid of playing this seriously because my characters keep disappearing

First time PS3 game has worked flawlessly for me this morning, but its relatively low load so remains to be seen how well it does later today.

So far, by far the best aspect for me is that I have quit and rebooted many times and every time my character loads without problems. Before this patch I ALWAYS lost my character to corruption.

They fixed the first tutorial missions so you play them by yourselves, so from now on people should always be able to start games and get into the free roam portion of online. I imagine this also means that solo mode will always be playable even if servers are hammered (though would still need to retrieve character of course).

They added a lot of new tip screens now which should help novice players.

shield

So all these people complaining that there's no free aim online aren't even playing with free aim in single player?

Top Bottom