• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Autofokus

Did I see this right? You can freely kick any player in every mode without a voting or anything?

Was in a 16p race, comfortably in 1st place then the second one behind tries to ram me but misses and drifts completely off track. A few seconds later he kicks me out of the race. Thats one way to win for sure.

Ridiculous.

Siegmeyer

So all these people complaining that there's no free aim online aren't even playing with free aim in single player?

No I used free aim in SP, but tried joining the BritGAF crew to play a couple of missions and had to change the aim method. I'd never used it in a multiplayer game before (I'm used it to it from many SP shooters though) and it's just awful.

Loomba

Hopefully though with this patch things become a little more stable. In two days and numerous tries I haven't even been able to get into the first race. Will try tonight because of the free gold weekend.

Hopefully though with this patch things become a little more stable. In two days and numerous tries I haven't even been able to get into the first race. Will try tonight because of the free gold weekend.

This should be totally fixed when patch becomes available.

They made those 2 tutorial missions offline so shouldnt even get to a matchmaking screen.

And for me, by far aspect of patch is it now always saves my character whereas before patch it would always be corrupted

Minyobi

So all these people complaining that there's no free aim online aren't even playing with free aim in single player?

I will admit to having no shame when it comes to killing the AI. Lock-on all day and night.
The second I have to deal with real people, I'd rather there be some skill involved.

But I haven't been complaining and know how to deal with it.

pringles

Anyone know what the limitations are on selling cars? Sold one for 9.5k, but can't sell any more now. Guessing there's a time limit?

Okay, the catchup thing in races is one of the dumbest fucking ideas I have seen in a game.

Edit: Every time I was in first it restricted my speed so much that 2nd and 3rd would overtake me, my speedwould then pick up again, but by then one of them had finished first

E92 M3

So... anyone can kick you out of a game, and that will give YOU bad karma points? C'mon!

What? That's so broken...I can't believe R* would implement something like that. Letting the community self-moderate (on the consoles) is a recipe for disaster.

Got my apartment. $205k. It has 2 floors, and looks a lot like Franklin's safe house from single player.

It has a pretty sweet view.

And, hey, you can even see the beach!

This 10-car garage it came with seems like it might take a while to fill up. Apparently garages automatically add locators, so maybe stealing supercars is viable if you take them to your garage? Also fitted my car with bulletproof tires since I hit rank 20. I'm broke now.

I think my favorite part is getting to spectate other players with the TV. Rockstar, don't you fucking dare delete this character!

First time PS3 game has worked flawlessly for me this morning, but its relatively low load so remains to be seen how well it does later today.

So far, by far the best aspect for me is that I have quit and rebooted many times and every time my character loads without problems. Before this patch I ALWAYS lost my character to corruption.

They fixed the first tutorial missions so you play them by yourselves, so from now on people should always be able to start games and get into the free roam portion of online. I imagine this also means that solo mode will always be playable even if servers are hammered (though would still need to retrieve character of course).

They added a lot of new tip screens now which should help novice players.

Sounds like what I saw last night but never received any patch. Was playing around 10:00pmCST.

Its probably there to prevent people immediately quitting in races once they get behind

I'd rather not race with people that quit when they fall behind, so them quitting is a good thing, eventually you end up in a lobby with decent racers. With it on, all the idiots hang around because they know they can catch you up and ram you off the road. I can't even filter races with this option on or off.

MAX PAYMENT

Got my apartment. $205k. It has 2 floors, and looks a lot like Franklin's safe house from single player.

It has a pretty sweet view.

And, hey, you can even see the beach!

This 10-car garage it came with seems like it might take a while to fill up. Apparently garages automatically add locators, so maybe stealing supercars is viable if you take them to your garage? Also fitted my car with bulletproof tires since I hit rank 20. I'm broke now.

I think my favorite part is getting to spectate other players with the TV. Rockstar, don't you fucking dare delete this character!

I hope the game lets you keep yours. I lost mine and all the money I put toward it.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
36MB or so patch out for PS3, not on 360 yet. I think more people have been on this morning since it went out.

Thank you Bunta just wanna keep the op as updated as possible. Hopefully soon this will turn into a better thread. Lol

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Okay, the catchup thing in races is one of the dumbest fucking ideas I have seen in a game.

Edit: Every time I was in first it restricted my speed so much that 2nd and 3rd would overtake me, my speedwould then pick up again, but by then one of them had finished first

It is annoying, it is annoying when single player games do it to, "rubber-banding" as it were can really get on my nerves in some games. I understand giving someone a helpful hand when behind, but they always take it too far, I don't think punishing someone who learns how to raceis ever a good idea, in Motostorm it wouldn't matter how skillfully you drove every other racer would catch up, and we all know how Mario Kart likes to kick the person who is first in the arse constantly.

Hystzen

Alligator-dosh, Clarence Beek good times rolling with other BGAF crew members.

Yeah rubberbanding is bit meh but goddamn I hate water races no idea why always never seem to gain speed but go slower

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Thank Christ it's optional then. Host your own races and turn it off.

harrytang

i believe it tells you before you join a mission that your aim mode will be switching. i just press b and back out of those missions. no problems since.

ironcreed

Banned
Did I see this right? You can freely kick any player in every mode without a voting or anything?

Was in a 16p race, comfortably in 1st place then the second one behind tries to ram me but misses and drifts completely off track. A few seconds later he kicks me out of the race. Thats one way to win for sure.

Ridiculous.

Pure horse shit if that is how it really works.

NeoGiff

Just had a fantastic in-game sequence of events.

A $7,000 bounty was placed on a guy's head in the lobby I was in. Naturally, myself and 3 others began chasing him (none of whom were GAFfers), and it was basically a free for all. At least two of us had 3 star wanted levels, so a whole host of cops were in the mix too, along with a couple of choppers. It was absolute chaos, and a huge 10 minute car chase ensued around the city. None of us were attempting to lose our heat, as we were desperate to claim the bounty. I was killed once, but managed to clip another guy in the process. Eventually another player managed to corner the guy with the bounty in an alleyway, after totaling his ride. The guy with the bounty managed to kill his attacker, but not before I put some lead in his exposed head with my SMG. Upon claiming the bounty, I checked my map, and sure enough there were a couple of white dots rapidly closing in, along with those dreaded cops. So I did what any desperate man would do; whipped out my phone, desperately logged into the Maze Bank site, and deposited the $7k as fast as I could. No sooner had I logged back out than I saw my respawned and vengeful prey sprinting full force down the alley towards me. Before I could even raise my weapon, he domed me with his sawed-off. I still win though, no loot for you, buddy.

It's completely unscripted moments like this that will make GTAO great once it eventually starts working properly.

tranciful

You don't think it's reasonable to have one standard when you're playing against AI (who have computer aiming) and another standard for when you're playing against other humans?

You don't think it's reasonable to have one standard when you're playing against AI (who have computer aiming) and another standard for when you're playing against other humans?

Exactly.

It automatically sets your online aim mode according to your SP aim mode.

So .. busted indeed.

I got switched to auto-aim on an online match once and forgot to switch it back. couldnt get online due to the massive population difference in people playing auto compared to free. Realized the problem, changed back to free aim and immediately got back online.

Autofokus

Nobody likes you...? I can't help with that. ;P

I assume not many use the random quick job function. And if they don't you will automatically have a very high fragmentation. I'm hosting job #182, how are the odds that many people try to join (and not host) this particular event?

I think this game is gonna be most fun for people with friends. Its way too easy for griefers, eg passive mode wont help you being shot if you are in a car. And you an get run over when on foot, not that being on foot is that desirable in such a big world.

The only way I would want to play on public would be if I can just jump between various jobs from my apartment (and go back to apartment soon as job over, which I think is an option already)

Fortunately I have both versions so will likely play 360 version when patch is out for friends, and PS3 for SP since I think the PS3 has much nicer lighting (that bloom effect on surfaces) and image quality.

I think this game is gonna be most fun for people with friends. Its way too easy for griefers, eg passive mode wont help you being shot if you are in a car. And you an get run over when on foot, not that being on foot is that desirable in such a big world.

The only way I would want to play on public would be if I can just jump between various jobs from my apartment (and go back to apartment soon as job over, which I think is an option already)

Fortunately I have both versions so will likely play 360 version when patch is out for friends, and PS3 for SP since I think the PS3 has much nicer lighting (that bloom effect on surfaces) and image quality.

Haha your name. It would be a clever idea for you to group with friends easily, but right now, it's not happening, and that angers me greatly.

I've already dealt with enough mouth breathing!

Top Bottom