• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Haha your name. It would be a clever idea for you to group with friends easily, but right now, it's not happening, and that angers me greatly.

I've already dealt with enough mouth breathing!

Wait what! I havent tried playing with friends yet due to the unreliable corruption only now fixed with patch (not on 360 yet), I thought you just launched in friends mode and it only would get users from your friends list on there.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
So all these people complaining that there's no free aim online aren't even playing with free aim in single player?

I used the soft lock. The cops and enemies have pinpoint accurate laser aim so I'm not gonna gimp myself like that.

PvP is completely different so there's no point in having auto-aim.

tranciful

Exactly.

It automatically sets your online aim mode according to your SP aim mode.

So .. busted indeed.

I got switched to auto-aim on an online match once and forgot to switch it back. couldnt get online due to the massive population difference in people playing auto compared to free. Realized the problem, changed back to free aim and immediately got back online.

My point is, wanting auto aim for SP and free aim for MP is not hypocritical or otherwise worth being 'busted' over -- it's a perfectly reasonable view and there's no double standard. Computer opponents aren't the same as human opponents.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I assume not many use the random quick job function. And if they don't you will automatically have a very high fragmentation. I'm hosting job #182, how are the odds that many people try to join (and not host) this particular event?

Well, I use the random quick job function.

There are Crews, Friend Lists, Skill matching and local lobby invites, for starters. Plus, once everyone can get on, you'll have even more luck.

Chipotle

I finally got on last night and really enjoyed it. My favourite modes are the team capture the flag type ones but I can see GTA races being great once we can design our own courses. Thinking about getting a mic for this, pity I'm skint

Wait what! I havent tried playing with friends yet due to the unreliable corruption only now fixed with patch (not on 360 yet), I thought you just launched in friends mode and it only would get users from your friends list on there.

I've had people join me in a closed Invite Session, and the Friend one. Fucking hell Rockstar!

And once a mission is complete, for some reason, it boots my friends out and they have to find me again. Arggh.

Tawpgun

Game needs a better notification and feedback system. Bunch of cops killed me when I had a bounty on me so I thought it was gone. I'm just going about my day when all of a sudden like 3 players descend upon me to murderate me. Turns out I still had my bounty.

The highlighting players and having a SUPER thin outline of blue or crew color for friends and crew members is barely noticeable and its still impossible to tell who is talking on their mic during the game.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Well, I use the random quick job function.

There are Crews, Friend Lists, Skill matching and local lobby invites, for starters. Plus, once everyone can get on, you'll have even more luck.

Same way I've been joining missions, too. Most reliable way to get multiple people in on a job right now.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Haven't played since launch morning is it more fixed now? Any word on the kicking players.

Is there a reason why the airport and army base are locked down in multiplayer? Can you only access them when you reach a certain level?

I think if you purchase a plane then the airport might be available. In story mode every time I visited the runway I got cops on me but after purchasing a plane with Michael it stopped.

w2000

Just got stuck trying to get back to free roam. Hoping it doesn't mess up the character.

Edit: It worked. I wonder if they changed when it saves to the cloud.

Haven't played since launch morning is it more fixed now? Any word on the kicking players.

PS3 is patched, but not 360 version yet (hopefully later today)

Since patch, PS3 version no longer corrupts my character it also lets people get through the first tutorial missions without problem (wont even try to match with players)

shield

You don't think it's reasonable to have one standard when you're playing against AI (who have computer aiming) and another standard for when you're playing against other humans?

I just thought it was interesting to point out, I use soft lock myself anyway.

My point is, wanting auto aim for SP and free aim for MP is not hypocritical or otherwise worth being 'busted' over -- it's a perfectly reasonable view and there's no double standard. Computer opponents aren't the same as human opponents.

True, but all you have to do is change the mode in SP to free aim before going online. But people are actively complaining about not being able to get into free aim mode in MP, without mentioning ... oh yeah ive always been playing auto aim mode even in SP.

I think if you purchase a plane then the airport might be available. In story mode every time I visited the runway I got cops on me but after purchasing a plane with Michael it stopped.

Yeah that worked for me in single player but, in multiplayer the gates are all closed at the airport and army base. Only way I can get in is using jumps. Also, do I need to be a certain level in multiplayer to fly planes and choppers?

Autofokus

Did I see this right? You can freely kick any player in every mode without a voting or anything?

Was in a 16p race, comfortably in 1st place then the second one behind tries to ram me but misses and drifts completely off track. A few seconds later he kicks me out of the race. Thats one way to win for sure.

Ridiculous.

Tried it myself, didn't work. So that I got kicked was probably a wrong alert message? It definitely said I got kicked by a local player.

Arcteryx

uggggggggggggggggggggggh

Did the title update on PS3, load up MP, character is still gone, rank gone, and money gone.

Even if they "fix" this, I've got no faith in them anymore.

The highlighting players and having a SUPER thin outline of blue or crew color for friends and crew members is barely noticeable and its still impossible to tell who is talking on their mic during the game.

It's not the fastest way, but if you pause, go to the online tab, then select Players, it will give you a list of the players in your game, along with a sound icon that lights up when someone speaks. You can mute, rate, and report players from the same menu, so it's handy for identifying and blocking micspammers.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
True, but all you have to do is change the mode in SP to free aim before going online. But people are actively complaining about not being able to get into free aim mode in MP, without mentioning ... oh yeah ive always been playing auto aim mode even in SP.

Well they don't mention how it works at all, unless it's on a tip in loading or something.

Day 4 and I still can't do anything online. I haven't even completed the first race.

I deleted the update and the cache and installed the update again. No dice. 360 version here.

I know me. Once I start playing another game I won't return to GTA 5/Online.

Oni Jazar

How do you see your reputation "Good Sport" score?

This game is very fun and taking time away from me doing the single player missions. A few observations:

It's disheartening to see how fractured the community is already. You have PS3 and 360 off the bat. Then you have the Lock On and Free Aim sessions. I would love to get the whole QT3 crew together but a shame we can't.

AI is very poor and there's warping all over the place. If they are not using dedicated servers then it's a damn shame.

Race rubber banding is too strong I think. I'm 3 and 0 with racing (one on one) and it's been me making a horrible mistake on the first lap then catching up and passing my opponent by the final lap.

There needs to be a better way to find matches with actual players. It may be because I'm playing on PS3 with free aim but when I try the quick job option I'm usually hosting a match alone.

I really like my created character. I need a better tie though. Can you switch ties or are they matched with shirts?

XzDSpO3.jpg

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Welp, still broke as ever. Managed to get in some lobbies and solo sessions then once I tried to join a crew invite it started timing out. Now I'm sitting at a black screen waiting for certain character annihilation and deletion.

ironcreed

Banned
uggggggggggggggggggggggh

Did the title update on PS3, load up MP, character is still gone, rank gone, and money gone.

Even if they "fix" this, I've got no faith in them anymore.

Thanks for the heads up. Still not even going to try for awhile. I can fully enjoy this world in the single player when the mood takes me.

meep!

Neo Member
Anyone higher level know if there is more content in the free roam mode? Playing minigame races and deathmatch isn't really what GTA is about to me so it would be nice if more stuff opens up. And hopefully moving forward that's where new content is going to appear.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Solo sessions are really the only way I can play consistently and we'll that isn't much fun. Guess I'll keep stacking paper and hope things are sorted out once millions just give up on playing.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Have I been staring at empty lobbies because I have my aim set to free aim?

I'm free aim and have no problem getting into quick missions. I did just get randomly kicked off the game while loading and then told if I do this frequently I'll become a bad sport...

tranciful

Do you think Rockstar made the bolded obvious to users?

duckroll

Anyone higher level know if there is more content in the free roam mode? Playing minigame races and deathmatch isn't really what GTA is about to me so it would be nice if more stuff opens up. And hopefully moving forward that's where new content is going to appear.

Here's the content I've seen so far, off the top of my head, in order of appearance:

- Races
- Deathmatch
- Team Deathmatch (Last Men Standing)
- Simeon Co-op Missions (Repo a car, sometimes involves killing gangbangers)
- Gerald Co-op Missions (Recover/steal drugs, generally involves killing gangbangers, sometimes also involves specifically killing gangbangers)
- Steal a car for Simeon in Free Roam mode (Requires stealing target car, repainting it, then delivering it to the docks)
- Team vs Team Stuff (Jets vs Bikers, Teams going after a crooked cop, etc)
- Tennis, Golf, Arm Wrestling, etc (recreational stuff, no money rewards unless you bet)
- Parachute races
- Trevor Co-Op Missions (Go fuck the Lost up, etc)
- Survival (horde mode)

Still have never been able to get in/do the first race. I bet GTA Online is awesome, but it's looking like by the time I can actually use it, I'll be too deep in another game to care.

Day 4 and I still can't do anything online. I haven't even completed the first race.

I deleted the update and the cache and installed the update again. No dice. 360 version here.

I know me. Once I start playing another game I won't return to GTA 5/Online.

Wait for the patch for 360, PS3 with patch working flawless for me all morning. Before patch, ALWAYS corrupted my character

Do you think Rockstar made the bolded obvious to users?

They don't seem to make anything obvious to users online.

It still blows my mind that the tutorial that people still can't manage to get through is basically made up of basic missions teaching us things we already know and have been doing in single player for the past two weeks. Meanwhile the online specific things that we don't know about are left up for us to figure out on our own.

Once again, great work R*. It's clear that GTA Online is basically just the
cracked and broken
foundation for what they have planned for GTA6 or the separate MMO equivalent next gen. There doesn't seem to be much thought put into the experience, they just threw all of their ideas into the game and didn't bother figuring out how it would affect the player. I'm sure they'll just make it up as they go until GTA Online 2.0 launches in 4-5 years.

Tawpgun

Is there a reason why the airport and army base are locked down in multiplayer? Can you only access them when you reach a certain level?

Not sure about the airport being accessed at a higher level, but there's a stunt jump on the left side of the airport entrance to get on to the tarmac. There's a helicopter there too.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Not sure about the airport being accessed at a higher level, but there's a stunt jump on the left side of the airport entrance to get on to the tarmac. There's a helicopter there too.

There's also 2 helicopters near the docks.

Top Bottom