• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

malfcn

I am around lvl 10, but that's because I was only robbing stores. When I went back to missions I couldn't progress (Gerald wanted to see my gun skills). For some reason everyone dropped and I was the only player on the server and it required at least one other player for dm.

Popparoks

There's this Gerald mission that unlocks at lvl15 called Violent Duct. You gotta kill about 10-14 thugs and steal a drug package. The whole mission takes about 5 minutes to complete because it takes place like a block away for Gerald's house. You get 9000$ and +1000 RP for completing it once on Hard. I made 200k in an hour or so today.

Haha, me and my friends did that yesterday we were living it up. Made about 300k, bought an apartment. Caught some levels....

My friend bought the same apartment i did and i wanted to buy another one. Heads up. You can only have one apartment, and me and my 3 friends all bought apartments in the 200k - 300k range all in different locations, and they were all the exact same fucking thing. i was pissed.

tookhster

So the PS3 version is actually working now and I managed to complete the tutorial.

Is there really no free mode or private lobby I can play with my friends? I hate how I was doing a solo session, and just when I was about to start the drug mission, the game REWINDED me to the cutscene I just watched and put me in a lobby with a bunch of jerks.

Branson

Sounds ok so far. Played a few hours last night on ps3 after losing my character. Which was weird. Had to do the tutorial again with a new character but it kept my old ones stats and money. Hopefully I keep this one I was rank 8 or so.

Also the races are amazingly fun. Holy shit. With 8-16 people it was insane.

Evil Beaver

There's this Gerald mission that unlocks at lvl15 called Violent Duct. You gotta kill about 10-14 thugs and steal a drug package. The whole mission takes about 5 minutes to complete because it takes place like a block away for Gerald's house. You get 9000$ and +1000 RP for completing it once on Hard. I made 200k in an hour or so today.

I heard the new title update prevents you from replaying missions. Can anyone confirm?

Why do I keep getting dumped into free roam servers that are practically empty? Why do I get a message about a job, go to join in and get told its full?

Why do I try and join a playlist, end up as host with the description telling me I'm not a required rank?

Arcteryx

So ps3 duders, how's the patch? Does it help?

Nope. Character from yesterday is still gone and I tried to make another in the second slot...it got deleted after I re-loaded.

About all it helped with is the initial tutorial race; characters still seem screwed.

Tawpgun

Just killed someone from GAF with a bounty because the red dot eliminates the crew color on the map. I gave them half the bounty I got, though.

Same thing happened when I was playing with a friend, but intentional.

Someone put a 7000 bounty on him, so he came to me, and I killed him, then split the cash.

EZ money

tehPete

Banned
My PS3 hard crashed while installing GTA V 1.02 patch; it tried to restore the filesystem, but failed and requires a complete format. Not sure if related (I've not seen a filesystem restore dialog on this system for over a year, and GTA V's been the only game to crash on me for a while), but that's it for me - I'm done with GTA V, and R*.

Plasmid

My PS3 hard crashed while installing GTA V 1.02 patch; it tried to restore the filesystem, but failed and requires a complete format. Not sure if related (I've not seen a filesystem restore dialog on this system for over a year, and GTA V's been the only game to crash on me for a while), but that's it for me - I'm done with GTA V, and R*.

Whenever i get that error i just hit circle and it doesn't do it. Problem solved? :x

Class until 2, TItle update better be up.

Do we know if it fixes the ability to play or if it only gets everyone past the race tutorial?

It's worked fine for me (PS3) since the patch. Was unplayable prior to that. Not really loving it yet anyway, much prefer the single player.

ron_bato

Nope. Character from yesterday is still gone and I tried to make another in the second slot...it got deleted after I re-loaded.

About all it helped with is the initial tutorial race; characters still seem screwed.

Sucks to hear that it is still messed up for some. I had a good two hour session in just a while ago. Match-making was better and indidn't get kicked out of anything. Hopefully things get even better from here.

Does anyone want to grind a mission for the next hour where you get $9000 every 2-3 minutes? I'm on PS3 my PSN is "Eyemus". They blocked it off with the latest patch but there is still a way to repeat the mission and earn quick money.

Jezus fuck says more about R* aint gonna get my real life money.

Played a bit of it last night.

Too many load times. I think maybe I shouldnt care, but theres so much loading it gets on my nerves.

Also, I was lvl 3 or 4 and had only pistols but others had uzi and shotguns. So I guess what they bought on free-roam came with them. Is that right?

If so, interesting concept but really bad for beginners.

For now I just want to lvl up and unlock some stuff. Hoepfully will get to play with some gaffers.

I joined the Third Crew and will be online tonight (in about 6-7 hours).

Hope to see you guys there!

Gawge

Often i'll join a lobby, and there will be 8+ people in there, which is great. But it slowly dwindles and then hardly anybody ever joins.

When I end up as host - how do I get people to join, other than organising for someone to join me, or hoping that someone on my friends list happens to be free, and wants to join? Because nothing else seems to really work. I don't know what that matched rank thing is, because it never seems to invite anybody. Nor does quick invite, or anything like that.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Played a bit of it last night.

Too many load times. I think maybe I shouldnt care, but theres so much loading it gets on my nerves.

Also, I was lvl 3 or 4 and had only pistols but others had uzi and shotguns. So I guess what they bought on free-roam came with them. Is that right?

If so, interesting concept but really bad for beginners.

For now I just want to lvl up and unlock some stuff. Hoepfully will get to play with some gaffers.

I joined the Third Crew and will be online tonight (in about 6-7 hours).

Hope to see you guys there!

shotguns are free at the gun store and uzis are really cheap

DukeBobby

Well, my character never came back, and I can't be bothered spending 6 hours to get a new character back to the same level.

Oh well, it was decent enough while it lasted. Nothing special, though.

duckroll

shotguns are free at the gun store and uzis are really cheap

It's also worth noting that after unlocking a weapon type, you can simply kill an enemy who is using that weapon (usually gangbangers in Gerald's missions) and pick it up. After that you just need to top up ammo whenever you're low. Of course this probably doesn't apply to higher end weapons since its less likely random thugs will be carrying them.

Afro

They fixed it in the patch. However, apparently you can hit R2(or whatever button voted to replay) on PS3 and it will replay the mission again.

Was doing this earlier with a Gaffer (after latest patch). Economy still broken. 5K every 5 minutes.

tehPete

Banned
Whenever i get that error i just hit circle and it doesn't do it. Problem solved? :x

Not an option, sadly; turning on the console forces it into the restore dialog (no option to press circle), and at 21% it throws up the format dialog. Selecting 'No' returns the PS3 equivilent of the 'System Disc not found' error message. Have tried using the PS3 debug menu options, no success there either.

All the menus are really obtrusive and terrible to navigate. Its hard to find what you're looking for. Hopefully they streamline it a bit in the coming months, its kind of a mess right now.

Grimsen

Fuck, I didn't know the social club gives a free garage and car online as well.

Gonna have to do that tonight.

Both are available through the game's interwebs.

IMACOMPUTA

Not an option, sadly; turning on the console forces it into the restore dialog (no option to press circle), and at 21% it throws up the format dialog. Selecting 'No' returns the PS3 equivilent of the 'System Disc not found' error message. Have tried using the PS3 debug menu options, no success there either.
I doubt it's GTA/r*'s fault.
Good chance it's only coincidental.

njean777

Is there any way to level up without having to play with other people? I have noticed that in the 4 matches or so with other people most of them have machine guns and such while I am stuck with a pistol. Pretty unfair is you ask me....

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Is there any way to level up without having to play with other people? I have noticed that in the 4 matches or so with other people most of them have machine guns and such while I am stuck with a pistol. Pretty unfair is you ask me....

It'll be a real slow grind but sticking up stores then escaping the police gives you RP little by little and raises your level. Catching wanted stars in any way and avoiding them also does. The big RP payoffs are in online missions though.

If you don't like deathmatch modes (i don't) then stick to races and jumps, those reward with RP too and don't have the utterly retarded die in missions and get taxed money system.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
It'll be a real slow grind but sticking up stores then escaping the police gives you RP little by little and raises your level. Catching wanted stars in any way and avoiding them also does. The big RP payoffs are in online missions though.

Stick up too many in a row and you get 4 stars for robbing one.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Man me and this random guy robbed like 4 places around the city together. We were bros, even sharing cash. Then I drove up to a gaffer and he gunned my friend down like a two-bit thug just like that. :(

tehPete

Banned
I doubt it's GTA/r*'s fault.
Good chance it's only coincidental.

The corroborating evidence suggests a link; I've worked with tech too long to ignore the chance that it's just a coincidence though. My PS3 external backup is only 6 months old so I've only really lost the PS+ games for that period, thankfully - it could have been much worse.

besada

Banned

Leveling up to level 5 is pretty easy on our own. Rob stuff, run from cops, repeat. Once there, you can buy an Uzi. You can also host races and then start play when you're the only one there. It gives decreased RP, but you still get them.

aro52

All the menus are really obtrusive and terrible to navigate. Its hard to find what you're looking for. Hopefully they streamline it a bit in the coming months, its kind of a mess right now.

Rockstar has never been very good at menus and interfaces. They should really hire a true UI/UX designer for their next game.

You can do races by yourself. At the lower levels, you'll jump half a level after each "win".

Top Bottom