• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

eival

great so my 80k of cash i spent to buy my apartment is gone and i only own my original garage and since neither Ron nor Trevor are in my contacts that means that mission didnt save either, even tho i saw a million yellow circles before quiting to make sure the servers were auto-saving

and i dont see any prompt for TU

DogMeat77

This is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, but I'm not seeing as many people having this issue...

Managed to make it through the 1st night, got the free tracker and insurance, headed to the deathmatch tutorial. Walked in the circle, waited for 12 minutes, gave up and went back to 360 dashboard.

Went back online, no car, no icon for car on the map/server. No insurance contact on phone. The icon for the car as owned property IS lit up. I also can technically mod the vehicle on the iFruit app - just can't find the damn thing anywhere.

Has anyone discovered a fix for this that I've missed? Whenever I try Goooooooooogle'ing I just get results for the SP disappearing car issue that was patched.

Thanks!

The police can impound your car but if you follow your car icon you should see it in their police lot. That is about the only thing I can think of.

tehPete

Banned
Still no patch on 360?

Thanks a fucking lot, MS. They've really been grating on me lately. I wasn't planning on going next gen for another year but I almost want to pre-order a PS4 out of spite.

You're not missing anything; they'll never pass the patch, all they've gotta do is check any gaming forum to find it hasn't worked.

Meanwhile, at MS's patch testing office:

auto-office-thoughts-lazy-asian-worker-gunman-344840.jpeg

Fergie

Banned
My character from last night was saved thankfully.

UK PS3.

Currently can't access online, rockstar cloud services are down. Worked just 2mins ago.

The police can impound your car but if you follow your car icon you should see it in their police lot. That is about the only thing I can think of.

Yeah, that car icon just isn't on any server/map I join. I don't have the impound lot on my map either as far as I can tell. Is that something that opens up after I complete the deathmatch tutorial (which I'm also not completing in a hurry because I suck at deathmatch and don't really feel like losing a bunch of money I don't have)?

I realized last night you can actually scroll on the quick job menu and there is a "Playlist" mode at the bottom that has stuff like all air races and it goes faster because there is no voting between rounds. I'm not sure if this got unlocked at some point or was there all along and I never noticed but its pretty cool and not many people are in those lobbies so check it out!

Yerolo

Gave up last night after sitting on the 'waiting for other players' screen for about 2hrs

Tried again, still no patch (xbox) and still cannot progress past this screen

This shit sucks, this is why I prefer SP

I saw a notification the other day that "Player X has just robbed an armored truck." How do you do this? I haven't seen any of those in my experience, and Player X was low ranked. Same goes for Gang Warfare. Is that just rolling into a bad neighborhood and shooting mean looking dudes until you have 30 enemies on you?

SnakeEyes

Banned
Yeah, that car icon just isn't on any server/map I join. I don't have the impound lot on my map either as far as I can tell. Is that something that opens up after I complete the deathmatch tutorial (which I'm also not completing in a hurry because I suck at deathmatch and don't really feel like losing a bunch of money I don't have)?
There is also the chance you left your vehicle in the police Impound too long, after which time they then destroy the car.

Speaking of in-game money charges, here's one take from IGN I found while looking up the various in-game charges:

...The way that money works right now makes it difficult to earn much – for me the sum total of a day’s work yesterday was about 7k, and I got curious enough about where on earth all my money was going to examine the Maze Bank transaction log for evidence. You’re charged anything from $600 to $1000 for medical expenses every time you die (I couldn’t quite figure out whether that applied just to the open world or to Jobs too, but I presume it’s the former), and there are hidden entry fees for jobs that range from $200 to $300. Ammo, meanwhile, costs $60 per box of rounds, and you get through it quickly.

It might not sound like much, but when you’re typically earning $500-1500 per Job it adds up fast to erase most of your profits. The cheapest garage in Lost Santos is $25,000 and property values are upwards of $125,000 for a small apartment – new guns, cars and especially boats and planes are as expensive as you’d expect, too. I don’t mind working hard for expensive stuff, but I resent being charged for dying. That surely discourages messing around and experimenting in San Andreas, and grants impromptu police chases or gang wars potentially ruinous financial implications.

In other words, it impugns exactly the kind of chaotic fun that GTA’s open world encourages. Now that I know our little adventure earlier cost us about $4,000 in medical and bail fees, not to mention my wrecked car, it’s tainted the experience.

It also makes me feel like I’m being pushed towards paying real money for GTA dollars, which rankles me. Rockstar has temporarily suspended microtransactions, presumably because large sums of money and indeed entire characters are regularly disappearing from their servers at the moment, but they’ll be back. Rockstar is correct in its claims that you can’t pay to win, but given that you can use GTA dollars to buy yourself car and weapon modifications after you’ve ranked up enough to unlock them, you can definitely pay to give yourself a small advantage.
(ign gtao online review-in-progress)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This might be the least balanced game I've ever played. The entire thing, from top to bottom, doesn't even attempt to balance anything. It actually encourages the opposite.

And seriously, what a gankfest. This right here is going to be a pretty toxic community if it has any legs.

ruttyboy

After having to do the tutorial four times, I discovered that you can go to the deathmatch, enter the circle so it brings up the lobby and then just quit out of the lobby back to the map. You don't have to actually do the deathmatch.

Yerolo

Is there any trick to actually getting this tutorial race to even start ? I have now wasted about 2.5hrs staring at a 'waiting for other players' loading screen

Do I just leave it or keep quitting out and relaunching it. Im almost at the point of giving up

There is also the chance you left your vehicle in the police Impound too long, after which time they then destroy the car.

It was the time it takes to go to the 360 Dashboard and then relaunch a game online, so like...5 minutes real time? I mean, the online has only been "available" for 3.5 days...

Honestly, if that guy is making only 7k, he isn't very good or isn't doing very useful things. I can get double that in one race.
That kindof makes the point though, doesn't it? You'll have to spend at least a sizable chunk of your GTAO time doing "useful things".

From that same article:

We also found a stunt jump that took us over the fence and into the airport, where we stole two helicopters and used them to make a dramatic getaway after robbing a convenience store. Mike killed me during said robbery by accidentally clubbing me with the butt of his gun instead of shooting at the ground to intimidate the guy behind the counter, but he shared the loot afterwards, so all was forgiven. You may be starting to notice a pattern with Mike.

This is the stuff GTA Online was made for. Deathmatches and racing are entertaining, but they don’t allow for this kind of self-directed fun.

ruttyboy

It was the time it takes to go to the 360 Dashboard and then relaunch a game online, so like...5 minutes real time? I mean, the online has only been "available" for 3.5 days...

Something similar happened to my friend. It might have kicked you back a few missions in the tutorial so you techinically haven't got a personal vehicle yet. Just drive around for a while and see if Simeon (I think it is) calls you.

After having to do the tutorial four times, I discovered that you can go to the deathmatch, enter the circle so it brings up the lobby and then just quit out of the lobby back to the map. You don't have to actually do the deathmatch.

Maybe I'll just give this a try and see if my car magically appears once that last tutorial mission is complete. Fingers shall be crossed!

equil

So the cloud went down. And i tried getting back in. Its now putting me at a the character selection screen with 2 empty slots...I'm hoping its still down cause i really hope my level 21 character isnt gone.

Pajamas

my car was impounded and I apparently need to steal it back from the police. I can't find any towtrucks and i can't seem to drive it out of the impound lot. Any ideas?

Cartman86

Banned
Other than random bugs the worst thing about this game right now is how the missions are labeled and the confusing friend and matchmaking systems. Trying to start a golf game with just your friends is infuriating.

Other than random bugs the worst thing about this game right now is the mission structures and the confusing friend and matchmaking systems. Trying to start a golf game with just your friends is infuriating.
How does it work?

Sorry if I'm asking so many questions, but am honestly curious and have gotten nowhere in my own attempts.

ruttyboy

my car was impounded and I apparently need to steal it back from the police. I can't find any towtrucks and i can't seem to drive it out of the impound lot. Any ideas?

That also happened to me. The first time the gates wouldn't open. Got killed by the cops as I was stuck in there (-$2k...). Went back to try again and this time the gates opened no problem.

Can you show me on the map where the impound lot touched you?

I can't find my vehicle and I'm going to check there to see, but it's not even on my map.

I saw a notification the other day that "Player X has just robbed an armored truck." How do you do this? I haven't seen any of those in my experience, and Player X was low ranked. Same goes for Gang Warfare. Is that just rolling into a bad neighborhood and shooting mean looking dudes until you have 30 enemies on you?

Gang Warfare= Level 18 unlock
Armored Trucks= Level 19 unlock

Cartman86

Banned
How does it work?

Sorry if I'm asking so many questions, but am honestly curious and have gotten nowhere in my own attempts.

Hmm apparently this is another glitch. It's supposed to give you the option to host matches (and either invite friends, crew, or randoms) but it's just putting me in with random people.

ZimbAdam

My character finally got saved. So fucking happy, the game is brilliant when it actually works. Best of luck to everyone who's still trying to get in, it's worth it in the end.

aro52

Speaking of in-game money charges, here's one take from IGN I found while looking up the various in-game charges:

(ign gtao online review-in-progress)

I can understand the "respawn tax" in story mode, but there's no place for it in an online multiplayer environment. Like the writer noted, it hinders the brilliance of the wild west sandbox.

On top of that, talk of utility bills and charging for phone calls?!?! R* needs to back away from the "being in a living, breathing world" a bit.

Aenima

it takes money off you for dying in missions too

Not after patch.

Im on PS3 with patch on, and died some times during missions and didnt lost any money. i checked bank and no more hospital fees there. in free roam if you die you pay 1000-2000k depending how much money u have.

So for the ppl that already have the patch is charaters still desappearing?

TheMan

i was really hoping the issues would have been worked out for the weekend, but apparently that ain't happening. are the servers really getting hammered this consistently? To me, it seems more likely that the online mode is just a buggy piece of shit that was rushed out for some reason...i mean it was already 2 weeks late. Another 2 weeks in the oven wouldn't have been that big of a deal.

Top Bottom