• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Plasmid

After patch played the fabled tutorial, came 4 out of 8 should have been 3rd but 2nd place and I had a car battle that I foolishly spun myself backwards trying to be too agressive.

Then this piece of shit game crapped it's pants again and I stared at a 'tips' screen for 15 minutes until my vacation began and I left the house.

Oh well hope it's working in a week, tutorial wasn't a bad race

How did you access the tutorial? :/

Ryuuga

Banned
I like the wealth of modes to play online, but I don't really like the structure. I don't know why I was under the impression that most of the activities would be more dynamic. I suppose the way it is now you're given the opportunity to hop in any activity while still staying within the game world as oppose to just picking them from a server browser. Still I haven't had quite as much fun online, but I suppose it's because most people I've encountered would rather go off and kill people in free roam than to do missions. The racing is quite fun though

Damn it!!!

I spent like 1 hour making my emblem to match my cities crest, which actually ended up pretty close:

untitledk4si5.png

But now all I get is this:

loletah8.png

-.-

Managed to have a good hour or so after the patch and my dude was still there.
Was a right asshole when i woke up and just decided to greif people going to buy their new clothes mission muhahaha.
The went 1vs1 and the spawning was hilariously bad not to mention other plays cant be shot, but can run you over and kill you..

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
After the Title Update are you required to do any of the tutorial?

My problem is i can't get any free insurance or clothes or any of the tutorial stuff and have no clue how to after the update.

Should i even attempt to play? I can't do anything past attempting to get in since the cloud servers are down.

This is frustrating.

When you first join and the cloud is down, you should get an option to retry. Mash it and you should eventually reconnect.

For the other stuff, if you're past the race tutorial, get a car and go to the garage, you'll still get the insurance for free and it should carry on. Happened to me a few days ago. If that doesn't work, try exiting it and going back in.

Hope that helps, man.

Plasmid

When you first join and the cloud is down, you should get an option to retry. Mash it and you should eventually reconnect.

For the other stuff, if you're past the race tutorial, get a car and go to the garage, you'll still get the insurance for free and it should carry on. Happened to me a few days ago. If that doesn't work, try exiting it and going back in.

Hope that helps, man.

So i have to basically slam the x button to hope it connects to the server so i can do the tutorial? I loaded up a temp character.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
So i have to basically slam the x button to hope it connects to the server so i can do the tutorial? I loaded up a temp character.

Sorry, I mean just keep trying. Happens to me a lot and doesn't take long. You got past the race, right?

Temp characters have been known to overwrite your other one, so be careful!

Plasmid

Sorry, I mean just keep trying. Happens to me a lot and doesn't take long. You got past the race, right?

Temp characters have been known to overwrite your other one, so be careful!

I don't have any old characters that were ever saved and i've never done the tutorial and saved a character, so this temp character was loaded into a game with jobs etc already and i can't do anything. it's so frustrating that rockstar STILL doesn't have this shit 100%

vehn

If you buy a really good car for like 300k, are you guaranteed to never lose it when you insure it? Some cars cost 1 million, would be terrible if you lost it somehow

Played 4 hours with my friend today who just started Online. He got through the tutorial with no problems and everything went smooth until I created us a Crew and we had to log out. I went back and thank god my lvl16 character was still there but my friend's one got deleted. Fuckin' fix this shit already R*!

On XO with the latest update.

jediyoshi

Finally dug into the ifruit app. Scooped up the NEOGAF license plate
(spelled with a 0)

3yOWG0a.jpg

Did my first Vehicle Deathmatch match. 7 tanks blasting each other on the country side. So glorious.

Ryuuga

Banned
Also the load times for doing anything makes me dream of the PC version now more than ever. Here's hoping for some heavy optimization between now and then.

Can't decide which house to buy with my 240k. too many to pick. After bfast I may go and look at some. House hunting on GTA with a chance of death. Going to be a good morning.

DukeSucks

Finally got in a game with a buddy last night. Started off just robbing stores and trying to make a getaway. Five hours later it devolved into just getting as many stars as we could and trying to stay alive. Was a lot of fun.

Hit a bug where I couldn't take off my mask. Fixed it by buying a hat and removing it, but then I was bald, and my starting haircut was still locked at the barbershop :(

One gripe I wish they would change is show who was talking (like in CoD). Unless it does somewhere and I'm missing it...

Omni

I think I'm going to purchase the money DLC whenever it's available again. Played for several hours and have got next to nothing in regards to money.

Do we know if the stores will have all the weapons and whatnot unlocked if we go out and purchase money? Would be pretty awful to not have anything to buy things with (I'm currently rank 9... there are like 3 weapons available).

skynidas

Banned
I think I'm going to purchase the money DLC whenever it's available again. Played for several hours and have got next to nothing in regards to money.

Do we know if the stores will have all the weapons and whatnot unlocked if we go out and purchase money? Would be pretty awful to not have anything to buy things with (I'm currently rank 9... there are like 3 weapons available).

They have rank requirements so they will unlock once you hit said ranks.And if you are rank 9 you haven't been playing too much so i think it's normal that you have no cash.

Epcott

Tempted to pick this up next week, instead of waiting for a future mythical PS4 version.

But I'm hesitant due to characters being deleted and money disappearing. Is this a random problem, or is major money loss and character deletion triggered by some task in game?

I guess no one is willing to respond. *shrugs*

don't do it. Weapons are locked by rank no matter how much cash you have

zsswimmer

Hope that helps, man.

This is what's been working for me. I usually can't join on the first try but when I choose the retry button I've gotten in like 90% of the time

harrytang

just beat a guy on the firing range but i think he DC before the final screen. now im stuck hovering over the city for the last 10 min. so afraid to DC myself. Been playing all morning and I do not want to lose my character. Goddamn it.

The GAFmobile!

0_0.jpg

Believe!

(Car emblems dont show up in Garage, boourns)
I picked that car too. It has quite a punch when necessary. Mine is ice white though! it was the best car I could find at the time that wasn't premium. Obviously that's on purpose !

A lot of the activities opened up for me last night randomly. Arm wrestling is in the online portion, had no idea. I really want some money so I can get an apartment. When does Simeon start offering money for random cars ?

clockpunk

The Online portion alternates far too much between 'Hey, this is rather fun' and 'GRRRRR, no way - that is absolute *** *** ***** ** ***** ****'. On the whole: disappointing; especially when compared to the single player game. I hope not too many resources were spent on GTA: O, and that single player DLC will be seen down the line, rather than just online packs.

Omni

They have rank requirements so they will unlock once you hit said ranks.And if you are rank 9 you haven't been playing too much so i think it's normal that you have no cash.

don't do it. Weapons are locked by rank no matter how much cash you have

Ahh okay, cheers guys.

I dunno what I'll do yet. I'm not sure if I want to invest too much time trying to rake up cash just so I can enjoy the game. Plus I'm not really seeing much progression... I've only played for like 5 hours, but are all the missions so fragmented? I don't particularly care about races or deathmatches. I thought Online was going to consist of heists and stuff. So far it's just "hijack this" or "steal that meth" that.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Ahh okay, cheers guys.

I dunno what I'll do yet. I'm not sure if I want to invest too much time trying to rake up cash just so I can enjoy the game. Plus I'm not really seeing much progression... I've only played for like 5 hours, but are all the missions so fragmented? I don't particularly care about races or deathmatches. I thought Online was going to consist of heists and stuff. So far it's just "hijack this" or "steal that meth" that.

Heists are coming later.

Replay button doesn't work. R2 (right trigger for 360?) during the screen where you vote like or not should work.

You only get the choice for quick restart if you fail a job. If you successfully complete a job you cannot repeat it at all.

To clarify. You can repeat a job if it's given to you again via your in-game cell phone. But you can't finish a job and then replay the same job over and over again. You must go back to free roam and get another job from your cell phone. So if you have a favorite, you can do it, finish it and then go back to free roam and call the mission giver and hope he gives you the same job again. If he doesn't, you can erase the message and call back the Job giver a call again until you get the one you want a few minutes after deleting his job request.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
You only get the choice for quick restart if you fail a mission. If successfully do a mission you cannot repeat it at all.

Unless they patched the PS3 version again yesterday, you can still do it. There's no option shown to you.

Unless they've patched it over night for PS3 me and a friend was able to R2 restart it last night around 12-1am.

Beaten, even more recent.

erawsd

Finally decided to dip my toe in. So far I like it and I'll stick with it to see if it'll grow on me. The controls for some of the added multiplayer stuff is a bit convoluted and unclear. I also much prefer push to talk and or proximity based chat over having the mic open to the whole room. Way too many people singing/commenting on every little thing they've done; it gets incredibly annoying; I changed it to only allow crew/friends.

I really hope that if they bring out a next gen version and they focus the extra horsepower toward beefing up the amount of players and NPCs in the world -- there are times where it suddenly feels more like "The Last of Us"and all of humanity is wiped out.

Metalmarc

I'm unable to update to versión 1.2 on my PS3. It goes to a black screen and freezes my console.

Anyone with the same issue?

I had to repatch it two times. It froze on me, i had no choice but to pull lead as it was frozen for an hour, went into game data, delted the patch (NOT save file, leave that, what u want its in game data and a small file, like 33mb-55mb, do not delete game install either) remove that, and restart the disk and let it patch there for a second time then it worked for me.

Top Bottom