• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

DireStr8s

So I started a new character, did the tutorial up to the deathmatch. I could not get a match so i just screwed around for a bit. I got a player invite to do the deathmatch & played it thinking i would be cool. Nope. Now I get no missions from any character in the game ever. Can't call them either. Guess this character is fucked.

So I started a new character, did the tutorial up to the deathmatch. I could not get a match so i just screwed around for a bit. I got a player invite to do the deathmatch & played it thinking i would be cool. Nope. Now I get no missions from any character in the game ever. Can't call them either. Guess this character is fucked.

Can you use phone and do quick mission?

Right now they seem to have made PS3 offline and patched 360, so now its 360 owners chance to play the game. Until its down again and all their time is wasted.

So to get GTAO working 100%:

Use a time machine and go forward a few weeks.

PS3 was working fine. Until now where for hours it just plain doesnt work.

360 owners have a patch so now they can play, until the servers are down and they roll a dice on whether their characters are saved.

In the meantime, rockstar need to make missions actually choosable that dont suck. 100% of the time PS3 players would always quite after doing a proper mission and "choosing 6" since regular racing and deathmatch sucks.

eival

i never got the appeal of ranking up fast in Red Dead or now in V, i like the fact i now have a game that can be a "time filler" as other games like Beyond come out next week an ill be playing, then i can come back to GTA, but unlike in IV, i actually have stuff to do other than just screw around.

also im sure most of those people probably sat there for hours doing the replay exploit, i see it as fun, not a grind and if it was a grind or had any purpose (like FPS MP) i just dont even play those.

i never got the appeal of ranking up fast in Red Dead or now in V, i like the fact i now have a game that can be a "time filler" as other games like Beyond come out next week an ill be playing, then i can come back to GTA, but unlike in IV, i actually have stuff to do other than just screw around.

also im sure most of those people probably sat there for hours doing the replay exploit, i see it as fun, not a grind and if it was a grind or had any purpose (like FPS MP) i just dont even play those.

thats nuts you have to rank up to access weapons that dont suck and things like real estate

eival

thats nuts you have to rank up to access weapons that dont suck and things like real estate

im doin fine with the MP5 (bottom far left SMG) and the pistol.

havent had any issue finishing missions, solo and on hard 1.5xp

as for real estate, nothing about them is appealing to me.

GTA V. Grand theft all your time. Create characters that randomly get deleted!

Want to get online? Buy both PS3 and xbox versions to ensure that the 1 platform currently playable is available to you!

djm

Has anyone ever had success hosting a mission/race/etc and people joining in via what I assume is Quick Job matchmaking? I can join jobs that way just fine, but never host. Auto-Invite seems to kind of work but it never fills up a game completely. I'm on 360.

I can't tell if it's the game or on my end. It hasn't popped up telling me about NAT or anything.

e: ran the Xbox connection test, turns out I do have moderate NAT. Oh well!

Has anyone ever had success hosting a mission/race/etc and people joining in via what I assume is Quick Job matchmaking? I can join jobs that way just fine, but never host. Auto-Invite seems to kind of work but it never fills up a game completely. I'm on 360.

I can't tell if it's the game or on my end. It hasn't popped up telling me about NAT or anything.

Nope. I considered it a victory just being able to play myself as 1 player. Course thats crazy talk, right now PS3 version is unplayable. I wish I could play as 1 character.

HOT TIP

If you haven't already - Sandy Shores Survival

Play 1 player
Hide behind the dumpster in the garage - it's the only defensive position.

I've only made it to wave 9

14K each run

I'm sure they will nerf this so get on it.

5. Hopefully everything is tied to levels & not dependent on the story. it's just whether I want to grind to find out i guess.

Yeah lester was level 10 I believe

yeah its all tied to level

rockstar need GTA V insurance. Insurance that when you character gets randomly deleted, they actually give you back what you paid for.

Qwell

PS3 here, at least I can play solo online, just building up some stats and RP by sneaking on the beach, silent kills, and then hiding from the cops. Almost maxed my stealth, but lung capacity seems to not move (I hid from the cops in the ocean after I kill a few people stealth)

PS3 here, at least I can play solo online, just building up some stats and RP by sneaking on the beach, silent kills, and then hiding from the cops. Almost maxed my stealth, but lung capacity seems to not move (I hid from the cops in the ocean after I kill a few people stealth)

Man I hope you didn't waste your time. I didn't progress in solo mode since i feared my character wouldn't have its new levels saved.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
HOT TIP

Play 1 player

14K each run

Sweet, when it's up I'll do this for sure. Thanks.

Do you get paid after you finish each wave or the whole thing?

Qwell

Man I hope you didn't waste your time. I didn't progress in solo mode since i feared my character wouldn't have its new levels saved.

I've exited and come back a few times without issue so far, and its been updating my character on the rockstar social site so I think I'm safe. But yah it would suck a little if it reverts my char.

Trigger

So what's the best way to get cash? I keep seeing mention of a mission that pays 9K, but I haven't seen anything like that. I'm only level 7 tho.

So how was RDR online?

I'm a bit surprised how terrible GTAO is considering RDR sold 13 million units and was fine online correct?

You;d think making 1 billion in 3 days would make you actually care about getting the game working and communicating with your customers eg

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/51512/grand-theft-auto-online-launch-updates.html

has no comment on 360 being patched

but meh, over $1 billion in sales, you already paid. who cares about you until GTA$ is ready to sell you

So what's the best way to get cash? I keep seeing mention of a mission that pays 9K, but I haven't seen anything like that. I'm only level 7 tho.

The best way to keep cash is to have rockstar servers not randomly delete your data

How you do this is a mystery

Salvatron

My PS3 GTAO Timeline:

OCT 1st: Can't connect. Hangs on loading. Recreate my character 4-5 times. Unplayable.

OCT 2nd: Get to the race. Hangs on waiting for players. Recreate my character twice. Unplayable.

OCT 3rd: Get to the race. RACE!... but only against Lamar. Every game I join, typically only 4-5 players. Eventually they all leave and no new players join. Semi-playable. Get to level 6! 15k in the bank!

OCT 4th: Patch drops. Character deleted again. BUT Online works! Joining full games! Full TDM games. So much fun. Still have issues trying to play with my friend, but suspect it's TWCs fault as we've always had issues trying to play together lag free. (I'm in WeHo, he's in the Valley). -1 for no "mute all" option. Playable! (just not with friends)

Today, OCT 5th: Constant timeouts. Unplayable.

My PS3 GTAO Timeline:

OCT 1st: Can't connect. Hangs on loading. Recreate my character 4-5 times. Unplayable.

OCT 2nd: Get to the race. Hangs on waiting for players. Recreate my character twice. Unplayable.

OCT 3rd: Get to the race. RACE!... but only against Lamar. Every game I join, typically only 4-5 players. Eventually they all leave and no new players join. Semi-playable. Get to level 6! 15k in the bank!

OCT 4th: Patch drops. Character deleted again. BUT Online works! Joining full games! Full TDM games. So much fun. Still have issues trying to play with my friend, but suspect it's TWCs fault as we've always had issues trying to play together lag free. (I'm in WeHo, he's in the Valley). -1 for no "mute all" option. Playable! (just not with friends)

Today, OCT 5th: Constant timeouts. Unplayable.

Salt. how dare you blame rockstar for them not having working servers when they took your $60.

GTAO is free. well until the design forces you to buy GTA$ due to artificially inflated in-game prices

eival

HOT TIP

Play 1 player

14K each run

can you take a pic with snapmatic to show us?

i saw a shipping container thats open on the survival with the huge tower, looks like you could hide in there and as the guys climb up you could kill them before they get a shot off

Revven

So how was RDR online?

I'm a bit surprised how terrible GTAO is considering RDR sold 13 million units and was fine online correct?

Well... RDR didn't crap itself because the online MP was available day 1, so no one was waiting and anticipating to play it. They could play it before the story, during, or after. I don't remember there being any connection issues or server issues to speak of but RDR definitely didn't sell as well as GTA V. So I'm inclined to think it's the amount of people that bought GTA V within the 2 week period until the online launched that makes the servers basically overloaded and dead.

But then RDR didn't use cloud servers, your character and leveling info was stored on your console. RDR also had way less missions and activities you could do, so most people fucked around in the free roam, which as you see in GTA:O works just fine. But Missions and anything related to the cloud or player information seems to crap out.

Top Bottom