• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

can you take a pic with snapmatic to show us?

i saw a shipping container thats open on the survival with the huge tower, looks like you could hide in there and as the guys climb up you could kill them before they get a shot off

Take A picture of what? It's a mission you unlock around lvl 15 or you can be invited. I don't think I can take pictures of my reward screen

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Take A picture of what? It's a mission you unlock around lvl 15 or you can be invited. I don't think I can take pictures of my reward screen

I assume the 14k payout is only when you finish the whole mission? How long does it take you to get to wave 9?

Plasmid

From where? Merryweather drop? Or do those crates just show up randomly?

I was driving around and saw a huge green circle, went to investigate and had to kill 5-6 gangsters, a crate appeared after.

It also had a yellow trail of smoke coming from the location.

haha and now i get kicked out of a session and lose my character. Fuckin A.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I was driving around and saw a huge green circle, went to investigate and had to kill 5-6 gangsters, a crate appeared after.

It also had a yellow trail of smoke coming from the location.

haha and now i get kicked out of a session and lose my character. Fuckin A.

Damn, hope I happen upon one of these soon.

Mononoke

Banned
Wow online is so broken. Me and my buddy played 10 hours yesterday together. When he woke up this morning, he wen from rank 15 all the way back to his original rank. He lost all his money. Basically all 10 hours we did yesterday weren't saved. He wasted an entire day. However, for some reason when I booted up this morning, my character kept the rank, and I ended up with MORE money then when I quit. It makes no fuckin sense.

What sucks is, my muscle cars I made my personal cars, are no longer there. And the first vehicle I made mine (which I sold for $10k) - is now my car again. This is making me scared to even play, how do I know what saves and what doesn't save.

eival

So how was RDR online?

I'm a bit surprised how terrible GTAO is considering RDR sold 13 million units and was fine online correct?

i think the problem is, at least for me(probably alot tho), when GTA 4 and RDR came out i was more interested in the SP and didnt touch MP for weeks, so they probably were able to iron out alot of these issues by the time i hopped on.

would of been the same case this time around cause i only just finished the story a few days prior to tuesday but still had (and still have) other stuff i wanted to find/unlock.

but to their credit they basically fixed the server issues within 24 hours and now they already got a patch out fixing the actual development bugs like disappearing property within 2 days after that. thats alot faster than even first party 360 games like Gears of War which had to wait months for patches

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
So how was RDR online?

I'm a bit surprised how terrible GTAO is considering RDR sold 13 million units and was fine online correct?

You;d think making 1 billion in 3 days would make you actually care about getting the game working and communicating with your customers eg

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/51512/grand-theft-auto-online-launch-updates.html

has no comment on 360 being patched

but meh, over $1 billion in sales, you already paid. who cares about you until GTA$ is ready to sell you

Come on, man, don't you think it's a little immature and somewhat sulky to think "they don't care"? I'd hate to be working at R* right now. I imagine they are running about desperately trying to fix the problems. The last thing they want is to sell a broken product, right? This isn't an order fulfillment deal like Colonial Marines, this is the company's flagship title, and this fuck up is very bad for business.

Qwell

Well I maxed my Stealth in a solo session hoping it would give me some RP or something, but nothing working on lung capacity still, but it goes up so slow.

aristotle

So I got the super-duper expensive edition. It says you can recreate characters from previous GTAs. When I went to create my first online character only the father could be changed to Niko or Marsten.

What gives? Did I completely misread what the online bonuses were or what?

Arcteryx

i think the problem is, at least for me(probably alot tho), when GTA 4 and RDR came out i was more interested in the SP and didnt touch MP for weeks, so they probably were able to iron out alot of these issues by the time i hopped on.

would of been the same case this time around cause i only just finished the story a few days prior to tuesday but still had (and still have) other stuff i wanted to find/unlock.

but to their credit they basically fixed the server issues within 24 hours and now they already got a patch out fixing the actual development bugs like disappearing property within 2 days after that. thats alot faster than even first party 360 games like Gears of War which had to wait months for patches

I came to the same conclusion this morning too: if they had launched it on day one, pretty much everyone would have been doing SP and the MP server-load would have been much lower. Waiting 2 weeks basically allowed for everyone to finish SP and swamp the MP once it went live.

Is there any sort of consistency to losing money when you die? It all seems horribly random. But I generally think the amount of money taken from death is way too damn high for a game like this. Death is going to happen, a lot.

Come on, man, don't you think it's a little immature and somewhat sulky to think "they don't care"? I'd hate to be working at R* right now. I imagine they are running about desperately trying to fix the problems. The last thing they want is to sell a broken product, right? This isn't an order fulfillment deal like Colonial Marines, this is the company's flagship title, and this fuck up is very bad for business.

Well yeah they definitely want to get the game working, they'd love to sell GTA$ after all.

I dont get their strategy since now they end up upsetting both PS3 and xbox 360 versions.

yesterday ps3 version worked fine, today its totally broken.

360 version seems to work after this patch, but now given ps3 owners only had 1 day of working access, is it just a matter of days until they too lose access

the thing with RDR is that it sold 13 million, GTAO sold 20 million so far. its not such a huge gap that I would expect such problems

Well I got into my apartment but I can't leave to start a mission.

How do I invite people over? If it's down we need to get all the Ps3 player in my crib drinking whiskey.

So from yesterday where I could play the PS3 version

Every single time, people quit out once a mission was complete and there was that
pick 6' screen.

Pick 6 only shows races and deathmatch. From my experience of 8 hours of PS3, maybe 1% of people cared about racing and deathmatch. They either chose to quit or use the free roam choice so they could quick mission to do a mission (vs racing and deathmatch)

Logged on here in Ohio no problem. Finally finished the tutorial missions and driving around.

First taste? I like it. People driving by and just killing you will get old quick I feel like.

ZenVolta

Got the Chevo for staying alive 1 game day with a bounty on my head while hanging out in my Apt. Weird cuz I didnt know I had a bounty on me but whatever. FREE POINTS!

Also why do people keep wanting me to buzz them in. Oh yeah sure Im just going to let any old gang member walk into my house. Yeahh, no. One guy went so far as to try and grenade me out of my house

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
I guess I'm wrong. I don't see the option to hit RT for restart at the job completion screen and assumed they took it out. I know for sure that you can't do replay from the mission vote menu though.

first players vote if they liked the mission or not. after that you proceed, leave or hit r2/rt to restart the mission.
replay from the mission vote menu is afaik available when the mission was lost.

Well I got into my apartment but I can't leave to start a mission.

How do I invite people over? If it's down we need to get all the Ps3 player in my crib drinking whiskey.

They have to be in your session, then they have to buzz your door which allows you to buzz them into the apartment.

So from yesterday where I could play the PS3 version

Every single time, people quit out once a mission was complete and there was that
pick 6' screen.

Pick 6 only shows races and deathmatch. From my experience of 8 hours of PS3, maybe 1% of people cared about racing and deathmatch. They either chose to quit or use the free roam choice so they could quick mission to do a mission (vs racing and deathmatch)
If that's all it shows then that's all you probably have unlocked.

I'm at lvl 22 and I have DM, mission, races, parachuting, survivals and more showing up on my pick 6

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
So what kind of cars can I use as my personal one? I stole a Coil Voltic, but it said that I can't use it because it is already being tracked.

The loss of money in free roam or death matches will be less of a problem when BAWSAQ works online I think. Invest all your money into a stable stock and lose nothing upon death.

Salvatron

Salt. how dare you blame rockstar for them not having working servers when they took your $60.

GTAO is free. well until the design forces you to buy GTA$ due to artificially inflated in-game prices

GTAO is not free. 60 clams yo. I'm not entitled, I'm a disappointed consumer. Don't act like they're advertising showcased anything but seamless online gameplay. Its not playable right now, so of course I'm salty. I was hoping to spend the weekend online in san andreas.

Call me salty all you want... my crew name is Salty Scrubs. ALWAYS BET ON WAIFU.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Well yeah they definitely want to get the game working, they'd love to sell GTA$ after all.

I dont get their strategy since now they end up upsetting both PS3 and xbox 360 versions.

yesterday ps3 version worked fine, today its totally broken.

360 version seems to work after this patch, but now given ps3 owners only had 1 day of working access, is it just a matter of days until they too lose access

the thing with RDR is that it sold 13 million, GTAO sold 20 million so far. its not such a huge gap that I would expect such problems

I don't think anyone expected it. There is a lot more going on between social club and the game, the maps much bigger and full of different, more complex objects (the train actually works, for instance). I dunno. Games are complex things, you fix one bug and invariably create another thirty! XD

Question, how did you access the tutorial? Are you on 360?

While the game was loading I just pressed A when it said start online in the bottom right corner, it loaded online and the first race started, going through the process of it telling me where to go, its showing me the ropes so to speak.

Yes I'm on 360

If that's all it shows then that's all you probably have unlocked.

I'm at lvl 22 and I have DM, mission, races, parachuting, survivals and more showing up on my pick 6

yeah hopefully you dont lose all your progress like I did

sounds like they slowed people down to gradually unlock cool stuff over 100 levels

GTAO is not free. 60 clams yo. I'm not entitled, I'm a disappointed consumer. Don't act like they're advertising showcased anything but seamless online gameplay. Its not playable right now, so of course I'm salty. I was hoping to spend the weekend online in san andreas.

Call me salty all you want... my crew name is Salty Scrubs. ALWAYS BET ON WAIFU.

They said it was free with game

Anyway, once it works I have no issue paying for GTA$ since I got over 40 hours in SP and plan on doing another playthrough so I imagine I get 100+ hours eventually.

great game

SP is amazing, MP is broken

Ted

Matchmaking still seems flaky but when you can play some of the modes are great.

Briefly got to play with some of BritGAF but got a nice view of the clouds after a single quality race. Carried on playing with random folk and even that was a laugh though I don't appear to be progressing much.

Level 10 with 30 odd K (after expenditure).

0_0.jpg

So how was RDR online?

You;d think making 1 billion in 3 days would make you actually care about getting the game working and communicating with your customers eg

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/51512/grand-theft-auto-online-launch-updates.html

has no comment on 360 being patched

but meh, over $1 billion in sales, you already paid. who cares about you until GTA$ is ready to sell you

THey've had regular communication on Twitter and through the blog... I mean, they've had three or four blog posts over the past 48 hours so I wouldn't consider that bad communication. They had a more recent one than the one you linked to, posted at like midnight.

RDR's online mostly worked for me... but to be fair, I didn't try it for a couple of weeks. The game sold 13m, but did not sell 13m in one week, and there wasn't as big of a draw to the RDR online. RDR's online was fun, but all you could really do were deathmatch style gameplay or the open world hideouts. It was really fun at the time, but GTAOnline is a lot more than that.

Top Bottom