• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Cobra84

Top Fun is damn near impossible if you're assigned the role of hunter (the jet). Every match I've played that team never wins. It's fun as hell, though.

The cannons are the only way to get a kill. The missiles will never hit a moving bike and are only good for locating the bikes.

Mononoke

Banned
The constant heart breaks with this game. Lol I got a Sabre Turbo, and completely pimped it out. Then it didn't save it today. YET it saved the fact that I had spent the money on it. I don't understand ho wit can save the money that I spent, but not the car.

The cannons are the only way to get a kill. The missiles will never hit a moving bike and are only good for locating the bikes.

I've gotten kills with the missiles. But yes, the cannons are easier to use.

Just be sure to remembers your in a jet and not a VTOL. You have to give yourself room to do a proper attack run.

This game gets better and better, was goofing around with a friend, placing 9000 dollar bounties on each other, and taking out any and all who came for us, and each other a bunch. I unlocked sticky bombs and gave him a ride to the impound lot, but we never made it, I jumped whilst moving at about 80 mph and detonated killing us both. We also had a grenade fest with a bunch of chain reacting cars, followed by him robbing a store with me rigging his car to blow and triggering it right after he evaded the cops, which was followed by him hit and running me like three times in a row. And you can see other players from an apartment with a view, he stood on top of a yellow hummer and started jerking it, all seen from my telescope, this game is awesome.

The constant heart breaks with this game. Lol I got a Sabre Turbo, and completely pimped it out. Then it didn't save it today. YET it saved the fact that I had spent the money on it. I don't understand ho wit can save the money that I spent, but not the car.
Did you put a tracker on it and did you exit the game properly?

Oh I thought it was 5. They could charge $25,000 or something for it.
Cosmetic Surgeon DLC will happen in the future I'd imagine.

elseanio

So I was just the n a mission where I needed to get an RV. It was me and another person, who had a little head start on me. We both race towards the objective, which took a long while as it was from the south all the way to the north. He gets the RV first, and then some enemies show up. It instructs me to help get the RV back safe, so I take out the guys and drive next to the player in the RV. He then gets out and blasts me with a shotgun. What the hell? Is there a way of knowing what missions are co-op and what are just free for all? Did I just run into a bad player? His icon was a blueish dot.

I'm enjoying the free roam a lot more than the waiting around in lobbies. I think I will hold off on missions until I do them with friends, or at least when it's more stable

Here's an idea to make bounties make more sense: You should not be able to claim a bounty if the hunted person kills you. That way, you don't have the situation where the bounty has killed their pursuers over and over again but finally gets taken out due to attrition, and if the bounty can kill everyone else on the map at least once without getting killed by them, it can end the bounty prematurely.

Acrylic7

It appears my character had slept in the car, I have come to this conclusion because both my car and my character have been deleted.

Hungry hungry garages and random raptures. Fuck this, putting the trade in cash towards Pokemon X :s

GQman2121

Banned
So I was just the n a mission where I needed to get an RV. It was me and another person, who had a little head start on me. We both race towards the objective, which took a long while as it was from the south all the way to the north. He gets the RV first, and then some enemies show up. It instructs me to help get the RV back safe, so I take out the guys and drive next to the player in the RV. He then gets out and blasts me with a shotgun. What the hell? Is there a way of knowing what missions are co-op and what are just free for all? Did I just run into a bad player? His icon was a blueish dot.

I'm enjoying the free roam a lot more than the waiting around in lobbies. I think I will hold off on missions until I do them with friends, or at least when it's more stable

All the missions that are not team death match are co-op.

Mononoke

Banned
Did you put a tracker on it and did you exit the game properly?

Cosmetic Surgeon DLC will happen in the future I'd imagine.

This time it was my fault. Yes I did put a tracker and I did full coverage. BUT I then left GTA online by using the pause screen (I used the official way to quit through the tab in game). I think if I would have done a mission, or something that triggered an auto-save, it would have saved it.

I just thought there would be an auto-save after I bought the car. I still don't understand why it saves the fact that I spent the money, but not the car.

vehn

People's characters that were deleted: did they always get restored if you just wait and don't make new characters?

It appears my character had slept in the car, I have come to this conclusion because both my car and my character have been deleted.

Hungry hungry garages and random raptures. Fuck this, putting the trade in cash towards Pokemon X :s

PS3 servers are down right now. DON'T ASSUME YOUR CHARACTER HAS BEEN DELETED. Mine disappeared for a few hours yesterday while the servers were down but I didn't make any new character and eventually it reappeared.

Chances are even if your character goes missing, as long as you don't make a new one, R* still has it somewhere.

Mononoke

Banned
Okay, I just found the car I lost! Because the servers are down, is there a way to force or trigger a save after I put a tracker in this car? I can't do missions, so I can't make the game save that way.

Has anyone had this duplicate car issue? It only happens to my car that's actually mine (insured and everything).

I'll be driving, stop and get out to do something, and then walk back to my car and the doors will be locked. Then I look at my mini map and a clone of my car is sitting parked across the street...

I'm staying in free roam the whole time, not doing any missions or leaving the car for extended periods of time. Earlier I got out, decked someone in the face 10ft away and then walked back to my car and the doors were locked. Look at the map and the same car is parked by the curb next to me.

It's kind of handy because I never have to get my car repaired as I always end up having a spare on hand but it's a strange glitch.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Finally beat the second tutorial mission, but now it seems like the game has crapped out on me. I'm just seeing an endless cycle of "online tip" messages now. The game won't progress. Guess I'll have to kill the game, and I'll probably lose my character too judging by what I've read here. What a fucking shitfest.

Acrylic7

PS3 servers are down right now. DON'T ASSUME YOUR CHARACTER HAS BEEN DELETED. Mine disappeared for a few hours yesterday while the servers were down but I didn't make any new character and eventually it reappeared.

Chances are even if your character goes missing, as long as you don't make a new one, R* still has it somewhere.

thanks man for the heads up.

Has anyone had this duplicate car issue? It only happens to my car that's actually mine (insured and everything).

I'll be driving, stop and get out to do something, and then walk back to my car and the doors will be locked. Then I look at my mini map and a clone of my car is sitting parked across the street...

I'm staying in free roam the whole time, not doing any missions or leaving the car for extended periods of time. Earlier I got out, decked someone in the face 10ft away and then walked back to my car and the doors were locked. Look at the map and the same car is parked by the curb next to me.

It's kind of handy because I never have to get my car repaired as I always end up having a spare on hand but it's a strange glitch.

I was playing with a friend and he had invited me to a mission. Through miscommunication I had started one up as well. We both come out of the games and he said my car was next to him. However, my car was right in front of me with the icon. I get in and he says "whoa your car just disappeared".

Kind of cool how 'live' the world is.

EekTheKat

uh oh. Remade my slot 1 character since my 2nd slot character disappeared and now on the social club it shows my old character's looks but has my new character's stats.

It looks like I may have been rolled back during the outage. Again.

Feels bad really, since I actually won the first race vs. a bunch of other live players and also won the last man standing match as well with my new character.

Losing the car associated with the character I've been driving feels worse than losing the character actually, I've lost a black converible (what looks like a Jag) that was a hell of a workhorse. My new character is driving an matte black Ocelot which looks pretty boss in game.

Sucks that it's down again but I'm starting to see the team stats on the Social site. I'm ranked 10th! Apparently, our kicks major ass at tenis.

When it's back up we need a crew session and play some Vehicle deathmatch.

Aleph

PS3 is down, I think, which is strange since 1 hour ago I played for 10 minutes just fine.

Edit: it appears to be working, but veeery slowly.

thanks man for the heads up.

No prob. Someone should update the OP with info on deleted characters. Repeat: If your character goes missing, DO NOT ASSUME IT IS LOST FOREVER AND DO NOT MAKE A NEW ONE. Wait for a while, follow this thread, chances are it's just a temporary server issue and your character will be back. That said, you may lose a car or apartment/garage and things like that. I lost a 25k garage earlier.

Upgraded to the 391k apt. Now that's a view! Nice southeastern exposure for a full view of the city, whereas the 400k has a northwestern exposure for a view of the rich homes.

So there appears to be 2 types of fail happening, on PS3 edition here

1. Rockstar cloud servers being down
2. "Online Matchmaking" failed

The former means you are not gonna see your character or do anything.

The 2nd (which seems to be the case now) means you can log in to solo mode and do stuff like rob stores and buy stuff including an apartment. But no missions will start even in solo mode.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How the fuck can a company like Rockstar make such an incompetent online mode? Ok that their servers can't handle this shit (although that's sort of inexcusable too, given that we're almost a week into the online mode being available now), but why is there absolutely zero fault-tolerant code in this piece of shit? As soon as something goes wrong the game simply stops progressing, and you're left with killing and restarting it to get anywhere. The game should recognize that the servers are shit, and handle the error gracefully. But it doesn't. It just stops doing anything at all. So damn pathetic.

Top Bottom