• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

tehPete

Banned
R* said there would be problems... we are basically beta testers right now it seems.

Saying that there are 'problems' is a bit of an understatement. They knew it wasn't ready, but put it live anyway and wasted a lot of peoples time, effort and goodwill in the process. At this point they may as well close the servers, issue an apology, and re-launch in a weeks time - or perhaps when the service is actually ready. I know from my perspective, this would earn back some of the respect they've P*d up the wall during this debacle.

360 has been running great for me this morning, but it was running great yesterday until about 11:30 EST and then it went to shit ... so I'm completely expecting that to happen again today.

Also I don't really get why they lock the good activities... like people complaining saying how there's nothing to do at level 14... I'm feeling that at level 10. There's nothing to do in the overworld, there are no PvE missions to do...

So... why the hell would they lock the fun activities? What sense does that make? They said they had some 700 missions ready for when the game came out...

Also I think that the 360 version just went down. In a 16 person world and 13 people just left at 11:23 am.. hahaha

Also whe you go to Jobs -> Join Job, why are all of them greyed out except for "Join Mission." I don't get that... Like, why cant I join a deathmatch right now? why do I have to start with a Mission and THEN play a deathmatch? R* made a lot of decisions that don't make sense.

Edit-
Oh I see you can do Quick Job from your phone. I was doing it from the pause menu.

360 has been running great for me this morning, but it was running great yesterday until about 11:30 EST and then it went to shit ... so I'm completely expecting that to happen again today.

Also I don't really get why they lock the good activities... like people complaining saying how there's nothing to do at level 14... I'm feeling that at level 10. There's nothing to do in the overworld, there are no PvE missions to do...

So... why the hell would they lock the fun activities? What sense does that make? They said they had some 700 missions ready for when the game came out...

Also I think that the 360 version just went down. In a 16 person world and 13 people just left at 11:23 am.. hahaha

Bad design choice after bad design choice.

Arcteryx

Yea the amount of activities is really quite bad at lower levels(anything lower than 15). It sounds like once you get to 25+ that you get access to some more varied/rewarding activities.

I still don't understand why they gated stuff like armored trucks or gangwars to a specific level(you can see them happen on the map if a higher-level is participating in them though).

annnnd it goes down again on PS3; well at least I got my cars modded/saved before it died.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Damn, I'm currently grinding Violent Duct. Hope when I get out it doesn't delete my shit. :(

Bank your money. I got to grind it a bit last night with a fellow crew member but I ended up getting booted twice at seemingly random intervals. I did make sure to bank my money though so that's still there per the social club.

I feel like the key to not losing characters is not creating new ones. If shit goes sideways just walk away for a while and wait for R* to get their shit together again. Don't keep creating.

Ding-Ding

This is now beyond a joke. I'll tell you what, at least the trophies/achievements for the online will actually mean something...

Get to level 20 despite the crappy servers is one hell of an accompaniment.

Still getting a infinite loading screen while trying to join online on PS3.
LLShC.gif

Reule

My character is still there on the Social Club, thankfully. Should I be seeing a silhouette on there or like an actual image of my character?

I hope this all gets sorted out by Monday. It is pretty fun when it works but absolutely hate this constant fear of losing my character. I wonder if one of the reasons for everything backed on "the cloud" is to prevent altering multiplayer data. RDR was stored locally, wasn't it? I think I remember some people editing their multiplayer save to have access to everything.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Bank your money. I got to grind it a bit last night with a fellow crew member but I ended up getting booted twice at seemingly random intervals. I did make sure to bank my money though so that's still there per the social club.

I feel like the key to not losing characters is not creating new ones. If shit goes sideways just walk away for a while and wait for R* to get their shit together again. Don't keep creating.
Thanks for the tip.

I've only got a level 9 character 70k in the bank 100k plus in a car and I'm scared of losing him.

May stop playing until the main issues are resolved.

Saying that there are 'problems' is a bit of an understatement. They knew it wasn't ready, but put it live anyway and wasted a lot of peoples time, effort and goodwill in the process. At this point they may as well close the servers, issue an apology, and re-launch in a weeks time - or perhaps when the service is actually ready. I know from my perspective, this would earn back some of the respect they've P*d up the wall during this debacle.

Agreed with you, but I think they couldn't anticipate a lot of these problems with a limited amount of players in the private, controlled beta.

I actually think they should have done a tiered release.

I think that they should have let people "opt in" to play, on the social club actually call it a beta and say that they're going to experience issues. Take the approach that a lot of services have done lately, for instance, like Mailbox on the iPhone. Make people request that they want to be able to use the service and put them on a waiting list. Slowly introduce players to it over a month, and then have an "official" release date something like late October. Sure, it'd suck if your buddy got in and you couldn't, but it's basically the same as it's been for now.

They are clearly taking the "long view" with GTA Online, so I don't know why they didn't take that approach. They've lost a lot of good will with many players.. I know that if a lot of my friends had these issues they'd just never play again. My friends and I like to play games but we're mostly casual with our dedication to gaming now, and if a game just doesn't work, or you lose your progress, or something else, then we only have so much tolerance for that.

GQman2121

Banned
I've only got a level 9 character 70k in the bank 100k plus in a car and I'm scared of losing him.

May stop playing until the main issues are resolved.

I doubt that will help anything. If your character is going to go, it's going to go. The only thing you can do is hope it reappears at some point. I do think it's a good idea to refrain from creating new accounts though.

Arcteryx

Rockstar said that was only for temporary characters that were overwriting legit online ones. I(and many other people) have waited X number of days without overwriting a slot and they still never come back, whereas some people get them back right away.

There is someone who is lvl120+ already; I've come to the conclusion that the servers just hate me(lost 3 lvl15+ so far, plus a handful of lower levels).

Lisker

The funny part about this whole "cloud saving" issue is the fact they made a commercial in game that patronizes the whole "cloud". I wish they took their own damn advice haha.

Agreed with you, but I think they couldn't anticipate a lot of these problems with a limited amount of players in the private, controlled beta.

I actually think they should have done a tiered release.

I think that they should have let people "opt in" to play, on the social club actually call it a beta and say that they're going to experience issues. Take the approach that a lot of services have done lately, for instance, like Mailbox on the iPhone. Make people request that they want to be able to use the service and put them on a waiting list. Slowly introduce players to it over a month, and then have an "official" release date something like late October. Sure, it'd suck if your buddy got in and you couldn't, but it's basically the same as it's been for now.

They are clearly taking the "long view" with GTA Online, so I don't know why they didn't take that approach. They've lost a lot of good will with many players.. I know that if a lot of my friends had these issues they'd just never play again. My friends and I like to play games but we're mostly casual with our dedication to gaming now, and if a game just doesn't work, or you lose your progress, or something else, then we only have so much tolerance for that.

Totally agree it does suck that some players already lost the good will when it comes to online. For instance I got some friends who play cod( ps I quit playing it blops1 was the last one I played) and convinced them to buy gta long story short they love it but seem to give up already on the online and reverted to cod. R* had a golden opportunity to capitalize on that market

Ding-Ding

The funny part about this whole "cloud saving" issue is the fact they made a commercial in game that patronizes the whole "cloud". I wish they took their own damn advice haha.

It would be a brave developer to come out now and try to promote "the cloud" after this shit show.

In a game like this the cloud makes sense to them they don't want people hacking accounts and putting millions into characters, they would rather charge for it.

Which is fine by me, bring on the cards!

I lost my character and progress yesterday. I started anew today and the servers are down again, so the cycle will probably begin again!

This shit is worse than NeoGAF during E3.

Totally agree it does suck that some players already lost the good will when it comes to online. For instance I got some friends who play cod( ps I quit playing it blops1 was the last one I played) and convinced them to buy gta long story short they love it but seem to give up already on the online and reverted to cod. R* had a golden opportunity to capitalize on that market

Yeah, I've got a couple friends who loves GTA but they're the kind of people who if something doesn't work when they put time into it, they'll just assume it'll never work ever. With GTAIV, I remember we all jumped into one of those team missions, like "Hangmans Noose" or whatever, and because nobody knew what to do or how to play, a few of the guys just dismissed it as not being fun...

It's frustrating, but it's the reality for a lot of people.

When they run a beta or do some system of self-selecting, you make sure you don't get people that will dismiss it.

Fireflu

I think i'm done with this now, finally got on yesterday and played for a good long stretch with some friends. Got to rank 20 and made about 50k then I went into a friends garage and left which caused the game to crash on a black screen forcing me to dashboard it. When I got back to the game my character was still there but I had lost all my money and rank... So just a warning, do not enter a friends garage or you may lose all your progress or even your character.

But this is no way near as bad as what happened to my friend earlier today, he got stuck in a loading screen, dashboarded, got back on and his character/rank/money was all gone and he had amassed millions, several apartments/houses, was a really high rank and even (foolishly) spent his own real money for in game currency.

There is no way i'm going back into the online game until we receive another patch/fix for these issues. So disheartened by the whole experience now, has the potential to be great but its not there yet...

J4g3r

Just loaded up my character in solo mode and I've been dropped back down to level 17 with about 250k cash missing.

All my grinding I did this morning was for nothing.

Fuck Rockstar.

Ding-Ding

On 360, still cannot connect to rockstar cloud servers. Why do I feel like I am the only one with this problem now?

Whenever I see that message, I have wishful thinking that they have turned of the servers to reinstate lost character data.

Reality though makes me think a fresh bunch of characters have just been marked for execution

Top Bottom