• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Plasmid

Look for all the blue icons on the map?

If they are there you're connected if they aren't you're not? That's been my experience.

Cloud server, not jobs etc.

If you dont have a character made and you DO get past the server message, does it take you to the tutorial?

HenryHSH

I'd like to play online with PS3 gaf. I dont have much free time these days.. weekends and about an hour or two on weekdays if I'm not exhausted.

Psn is the same as my username. Im not opposed to grinding since that seems like the easiest way to make good money but im still level 6 (assuming i kept my character).

MrCow

so yeah i just lost my character on PS3 ...

seriously WTF?! after nearly a week this shit still keeps happening?

deim0s

Just a question to those losing their characters: Do you hard save when you quit playing? (Using the start menu and go back to SP)

Either way I won't bother logging in right now when most of you are having problems.

Look for all the blue icons on the map?

If they are there you're connected if they aren't you're not? That's been my experience.

Still doesn't change the fact that they should be implimenting some sort of indicator to save people the trouble of waiting just to find out that it's down.

duckroll

Yep, I dont know why they didn't shut it down right away. It's not like they would be losing money since the micro transactions are disable.

They're not shutting it down because only by running it can they iron out all these problems. This is an open beta whether we like it or not.

Lima

That way they cold not sell the money cards... and for them thats all that matters.

?

They are not available until they have fixed the issue with money disappearing. In fact the money packs have not been available at all since launch.

MrCow

Just a question to those losing their characters: Do you hard save when you quit playing? (Using the start menu and go back to SP)

Either way I won't bother logging in right now when most of you are having problems.

i went to singleplayer via the character change (holding down on d-pad) before i turned off the system

Aenima

I have been "hard saving" for last 2 days. but today i was making a mission in co-op and looks like the servers whent down during that time cuz when mission finished the game froze on the "clouds" view. I had to force quit to XMB, when i try to go online again in solo mode, it took me to character creation. The only way to avoid your carachter to not be deleted, is not playing the game.

I do not created a new chareter, i left the character creation screen but when i left i noticed the orange circle spining (saving) so my hopes of getting my lv20 chaters with my 391k appartment is now 1% as in social club it got erased too. the 1% left is because stats of single layer charecter are also wiped out in social club.

Fruitster

My level 35 character has gone missing too. Guessing the R* cloud is on the blink again. Not making a new character and i'll be less than pleased if my character doesn't return.

When I lost my lvl 37 yesterday, I just kept loading up the Character Select until she showed up again. It was clearly a cloud issue.

Does time in GTA Online pass when I'm not playing?
Yes. If you sell a car just before you log off and come back an hour later, you can sell again immediately because 48 mins have passed.
Doesn't work for bounties though.

They're not shutting it down because only by running it can they iron out all these problems. This is an open beta whether we like it or not.
They really should have marketed it as such.

They had to know in advance that they were going to run into some pretty big bugs and issues rolling this out.

There'd still be plenty of frustration, but by setting the right initial expectations they'd have given themselves more breathing room to make the fixes they need.

I have been "hard saving" for last 2 days. but today i was making a mission in co-op and looks like the servers whent down during that time cuz when mission finished the game froze on the "clouds" view. I had to force quit to XMB, when i try to go online again in solo mode, it took me to character creation. The only way to avoid your carachter to not be deleted, is not playing the game.

Yeah I do that everytime. I go back to SP and then exit the game from there.

If I go back to SP and then return to online, the character is there, but I dunno ... seems when I exit the game, quit for the night, go to work and then come home, character be gone.

Max character so far has been Rank 10 due to this. Created ...... 6 characters so far?

I can only play maybe an hour a day if that, so yeah this type of thing is annoying. I have no idea how they are losing all character data from their servers though. That is perplexing, and should be easily remedied.

louiedog

So I join multiplayer and drive around a bit. I get a mission prompt from Simeon. 10 seconds into his cutscene I get kicked by the other players in the session. I didn't ignore or decline any invites. I didn't encounter another player in that time. I didn't have a mic turned on blasting static. I didn't ignore requests that I leave to make room for someone's friend.

Maybe they were typical online dicks. Maybe they just wanted a free spot for a friend. No idea. Unfortunately when I reconnected to a new session I was greeted with a warning that if I continued to leave in the middle of missions I'd be penalized. That's messed up and the system shouldn't let griefers reduce the reputation of people who do nothing wrong.

MYeager

?

They are not available until they have fixed the issue with money disappearing. In fact the money packs have not been available at all since launch.

I was going to say the same thing. The money cards matter so much that they're not available for purchase at this time.

Jhoan

Speaking of Tennis - how close would you say is it to Virtua Tennis on the Dreamcast (never tried playing it yet)? That game was tons of fun.

I've never played Virtua Tennis so I can't really say. The closest tennis games I can compare them to since I bought them are Sega Superstar Tennis and Rockstar Table Tennis. It's definitely more like the latter sans focus shots and with rackets. It seems that Rockstar''s past experience did help.

However, I will say that there is lag every now and then as my opponent was able to a score a point several times because it lagged so while it isn't buttery smooth, it performs pretty decently overall.

The one thing that I'll say in R*'s defense is that obviously they couldn't have ran some sort of large scale beta for this game since it would have inherently spoiled the single player portion before the game was released.

I do understand that there are growing pains as with any large online release. It does say something that I'm actually quite pissed that it's not reliable right now. Normally I don't care enough about online in games to even bother posting my opinion. I had so much fun yesterday that I was truly bummed when I couldn't get my leveled character back last night.

Derrick01

Banned
Speaking of Tennis - how close would you say is it to Virtua Tennis on the Dreamcast (never tried playing it yet)? That game was tons of fun.

It's not a very deep mode. On ps3 square is backspin and circle is topspin but I honestly can't tell the difference between the two when I use them in this game. They don't appear to move any differently, it's just the way your character hits it that appears a bit different. It's pretty janky too, there's a lot of times where you'll swing and your character will wait until it's past him/her to swing (and miss obviously).

It's still fun for what it is though, it's not like this is a dedicated tennis game. I played my friend last night and we had some fun. I even managed to hit a drop shot right over his head when he was crowding the net which made him rage pretty hard :lol

Aenima

When I lost my lvl 37 yesterday, I just kept loading up the Character Select until she showed up again. It was clearly a cloud issue.

Yes. If you sell a car just before you log off and come back an hour later, you can sell immediately.

Did it took you to the character creation when u tryed to join online? And then u just kept trying to enter by "Choose a Character" option?

If thats the case ill try that when things are up and running. If not, i guess i will just farm money by selling cars and robbying stores and leave it in the bank untill they patch this.

Yeah it is pretty pathetic releasing a game like this, surprised you're not loosing your shit over it.

And somehow Rockstar isn't catching alot of flak from the media either.

E92 M3

I've never played Virtua Tennis so I can't really say. The closest tennis games I can compare them to since I bought them are Sega Superstar Tennis and Rockstar Table Tennis. It's definitely more like the latter sans focus shots and with rackets. It seems that Rockstar''s past experience did help.

However, I will say that there is lag every now and then as my opponent was able to a score a point several times because it lagged so while it isn't buttery smooth, it performs pretty decently overall.

It's not a very deep mode. On ps3 square is backspin and circle is topspin but I honestly can't tell the difference between the two when I use them in this game. They don't appear to move any differently, it's just the way your character hits it that appears a bit different. It's pretty janky too, there's a lot of times where you'll swing and your character will wait until it's past him/her to swing (and miss obviously).

It's still fun for what it is though, it's not like this is a dedicated tennis game. I played my friend last night and we had some fun. I even managed to hit a drop shot right over his head when he was crowding the net which made him rage pretty hard :lol

Thanks guys - will definitely try playing it once I can actually get on. Or I might stop ignoring it in sp, lol.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Still doesn't change the fact that they should be implimenting some sort of indicator to save people the trouble of waiting just to find out that it's down.

Yea I agree with having an indicator I was suggesting a way to make that happen on your own.

Also some of the design choices in this really leave you scratching the head.

*Join Friends*
"Getting online session details"
*Are you sure you wish to Join, you'll leave the current session"´
*camera zooms out*
"Joining session"
"Sorry session is full"
*Huge load time back to the game*

Well then why the hell did the game the session details in the first place anyway?

Did it took you to the character creation when u tryed to join online? And then u just kept trying to enter by "Choose a Character" option?

If thats the case ill try that when things are up and running. If not, i guess i will just farm money by selling cars and robbying stores and leave it in the bank untill they patch this.
I never just jump in; I always go to choose character to ensure that the character is there before playing, so the game never had the chance to go straight to the creator.

Salvatron

PS3...man... what am i doing wrong?
character got deleted AGAIN.. this is about the 15th time ive had to recreate a character and the 4th time ive lost a character ive put a decent chunk of hours in.

character got deleted AGAIN.. this is about the 15th time ive had to recreate a character and the 4th time ive lost a character ive put a decent chunk of hours in.

Don't recreate it. It could just be the characters are still not available, by recreating them you might be deleting them.

I hope.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

Stop recreating them. The reason they are being deleted is because once the cloud servers come back your new character is overwriting your old one.

Mononoke

Banned
I already played Violent Duct without knowing about the farming. Can I never play it again? I know if you call Gerald he will give you the same missions. But from my experience, it's usually the last mission you've done. Is there any other way to play older missions?

So everyone says to not recreate lost characters, but has anyone here actually had a character reappear?

I have. Lost first one third time when signing on, created a new one, lost connection, logged back in and my first character was back. That was all in one day. No problems since.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I already played Violent Duct without knowing about the farming. Can I never play it again? I know if you call Gerald he will give you the same missions. But from my experience, it's usually the last mission you've done. Is there any other way to play older missions?

You just have to keep calling Gerald until he gives you the mission.

Gorillaz

Do
Not
Respray
A
Sanchez

It doesn't hardlock but your stuck there and can only leave by joining a new session through the menu

Top Bottom