• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I thought I'd land my jet on a roof. Well, I skidded off and was pointed up on another roof with my tail on the ground. I tried to take off, kinda went and ended up losing my left wing to a telephone pole. I got airborne and began barrel rolling towards the mountains. While I was upside down I ejected (close to the ground so no chute) and survived. The jet exploded about 50 yards past me.

MrWhitefolks

Neo Member
Well shit. Lost my level 13 character, garage, vehicles, etc. Even the Social Club shows that it isn't there (however, my banked cash of 38k is) - this is a damn shame, as it was the first GTA game I've truly enjoyed in a LONG time.

I lost a garage "twice" to the cloud, along with vehicles purchased, but they sure as hell didn't refund my cash...makes me wonder how many people will be losing their purchased GTA$ to cloud save failures if it's this easy to lose in game currency already? Man, I wish the character info was saved client side, at least in that case I could backup my saves before playing online like I was forced into doing with the SP campaign.

0_0.jpg

Also, what's the point of Passive mode? You can still die by being struck by vehicles, shot from vehicles, or shot while driving. At that point the player is paying money to have no ability to defend themselves (and upon dying, are still charged for being "wasted"), it might as well not be in the game at all. Either you give users 100% safety for a PRICE, or don't give them the option.

Gonna shelve this game for a bit, and wait until Rockstar finally gets their shit together. Maybe by then it'll be working AND enjoyable (well, aside from using that horrendous character creation tool; that shit is an outright JOKE compared to any of it's contemporaries). :D

it's perfectly sensible to have to pay money when dying (seeing how little effect snacks have, you'd need to spend quite a lot of them to heal that half hp back, making it virtually the same price as the medical costs)

Some people are focusing too much on the start of a game that revolves around being a no-one that job by job gets to be a "big one".

"I want this now" is not the way to play this.

About the passive mode thing, I completely agree that it doesn't feel coherent with the design.

Pre-nerf? I'm still able to abuse the shit out of it...

Also for trucks, how many players can fit in? Me and a few friends are planning on getting a Truck, SUV or Van and going around causing mayhem in it but we're having trouble which one to use. Preferably the one that can fit the most.

Sandking XL can fit 4, not sure which one fits the most though.

medze

Well my character is gone. Only level 14 but it is still pretty annoying. Worried about making a new one, would rather just have mine restored... Still no word from Rockstar about this?

Jomtos

Neo Member
Well my character is gone. Only level 14 but it is still pretty annoying. Worried about making a new one, would rather just have mine restored... Still no word from Rockstar about this?

Updated 10/6/13: We are continuing to investigate the causes of the lost progress and what can be done to minimize the impact until a permanent fix is in place. Also, we have not forgotten about the requests for restoration. We are in the process of determining the options for addressing the issues for those players who have been affected. Please stay tuned for further updates here.

Yup

My progress was deleted again. The game reverted back to when I was level 3 for the second time, though I exit the game as per Rockstar's instructions (switch to SP, quit game in menu, etc).

I deleted the character, created a new character and am hoping for the best. Please don't make me have to do this again Rockstar!

I recommend everyone play survival on that junkyard, meth hillbilly area. If you clear all 10 waves, you get $20,000 and you get to keep the weapons to pick up, though you can't purchase ammo for ones you haven't leveled up to yet. Had a minigun which was nice.

Unicorn

Finally got in. Got a semi with a trailer and was barreling down one of the wider roads. Heading for a white blip on the map, the scene finally comes into view. a lone gunman, staked out behind an SUV is taking potshots at a handful of cop cars.

Nothing stops this train.

I slam through the cop cars, flinging corpses and cruisers into the air, losing little momentum. In a wave of twisted carnage, that single gunman didn't stand a chance. I think his own SUV crushed him.

KuGsj.gif

I then went down into the canal systems because I saw someone else down there and wanted to reenact Terminator, but by the time I got my semi down there he was gone. :c

MrWhitefolks

Neo Member
I recommend everyone play survival on that junkyard, meth hillbilly area. If you clear all 10 waves, you get $20,000 and you get to keep the weapons to pick up, though you can't purchase ammo for ones you haven't leveled up to yet. Had a minigun which was nice.

Does the payout change depending on difficulty played? Could be a fun alternative to mix up the grind of Violent Duct over and over.

Jeez, the Titan must be made of paper or something. Tried to crash into a player helicopter and I'm the one who explodes. As far as I can tell he was just fine lol

Cartman86

Banned
Other than a rebalance of the cash and experience you get from all missions (losers should really get something and a boost to deathmatch and other modes needs to happen) This thing really needs the ability to access all important menus (pause menu I guess) at any time. Having to watch a loading screen just because you want to change a mission or accept an invite is terrible.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Rockstar needs to add some damn fault-tolerant code to this game. Shit keeps locking up when loading, when losing connection, etc. So bad. (The singeplayer campaign has never locked up on me.)

Arcteryx

Rockstar needs to add some damn fault-tolerant code to this game. Shit keeps locking up when loading, when losing connection, etc. So bad. (The singeplayer campaign has never locked up on me.)

Yep. You have to sign-out of PSN sometimes when it gives the "time out" error, even though it has a "Push X" prompt. Lots of testing that was overlooked.

Ted

Some people are focusing too much on the start of a game that revolves around being a no-one that job by job gets to be a "big one".

Agree entirely. I quite like the "pressure" of being poor and I'm enjoying the races (land, sea, air), parachute jumps and some of the missions immensely, regardless of the payout.

My two biggest annoyances so far (beyond the obvious, server resilience) have been pretty minor:

- Passive mode - I'd prefer an ghost tourist/journalist type option;
- Checkpoint colour during some parachuting missions - blue on blue over the ocean sucks for the visually/colour impaired (pet peeve, grrr, UI sign-off guy, grrr).

valeo

They game-ified something that didn't need all these dumb overused gamey elements. XP! LEVELING! GRADUAL UNLOCKS OF THINGS THAT ARE ALREADY IN SINGLE PLAYER!

The worst part is they don't even have fun or deep missions in place of all this BS. It's as boring as a mmorpg right now.

Agreed. GTA Online will be dead in a month. GTA IV online was far funner, and that's a damning indictment.

biRdy

I am getting sick of doing this tutorial already, sad to see that the over whelming hype for this game is hiding how broken gta online is.

Future

Agreed. GTA Online will be dead in a month. GTA IV online was far funner, and that's a damning indictment.

People keep saying this. I played a little gta4 online back in the day and I barely remember anything much better. Had only 3 missions or so, and I remember the controls being too sluggish to enjoy myself fighting other players. I don't remember anything interesting to do in the open world

eival

anyone found a map showing all the gang hideouts? i unlocked them, but they only show when you're in the vicinity. i know theres one up by Trevor

anyone found a map showing all the gang hideouts? i unlocked them, but they only show when you're in the vicinity. i know theres one up by Trevor

I don't have a map but there is one in construction zone (the huge crane) and the one in the docks where you stole the sub in SP.

AReed

Question:

Do you only gain stats through missions and races or can you gain them from free roam?

Like, if I were to drive around for an hour in free roam, would I see my Driving stat increase, or would I need to do a lot of races?

Trigger

Question:

Do you only gain stats through missions and races or can you gain them from free roam?

Like, if I were to drive around for an hour in free roam, would I see my Driving stat increase, or would I need to do a lot of races?

You can get stats in free roam. My shooting skill randomly increased while I was in a shoot out with some cops.

Derrick01

Banned

Well I'm not saying that really. The free roam element of 5 is definitely better just because there's actually things to do in it. But they hamper some of that by locking so much behind an arbitrary COD leveling system that wasn't needed, and they didn't bother designing fun missions for people who feel like they HAVE to level to unlock all of the potential of free roam.

Everything being so expensive makes it obvious they want people to buy cash. F2P schemes becoming popular is going to end up being the worst thing that ever happened to gaming once it completely infests normal hardcore gaming. It completely changes design philosophy behind making money instead of making a good game.

Arcteryx

Question:

Both work. Driving laps around the airport in a fast car seems to be best for speed-leveling driving and doing the Kifflom trick(rubber banding your controller) works for missions and stamina(better in missions since no players will shoot you).

GTA Online was designed to be played for years. Thats why the progression is slow. Its quite jarring for people because single player let them drive the fastest cars and have a cool house right near the start.

And when I say years I mean to remain viable, not that people would literally play it every day for years. But certainly 100+ hours minimum I would think before you naturally unlock the best apartments, clothes, cars etc.

They made over 500 missions for it. Unfortunately most people want to the play just a tiny subset (high paying missions). So most of their races and deathmatches and sports games etc are unused.

Thats my situation, I like racing now and then and the odd deathmatch but no where near as much as the proper missions. Unfortunately you are at the mercy of who you end up playing with (all my friends are on 360, but I play on PS3 as the better version). So I had an amazing night yesterday with cool players, then today I had bad luck and people were either incompetent or just plain griefing (eg co-op mission where 1 guy just tried running everybody on the team over)

I went back to playing single player and appreciate it even more how detailed the world is and how populated with people it is. Having special abilities makes you feel insanely powerful too (having played a bunch of hard GTAO missions solo).

dhMeAzK

Bravo R* 4th character wiped out by the cloud just checked the social club not there nor the money despite being there a few hours ago fucking bravo

Their biggest issue with deathmatch is allowing lock-on in it. It takes away all the skill of aiming and just turns into who has the most powerful gun/reacts faster. So basically turns everything into a shotgun fest in any other game. Only with midrange weapons available now.

As to the slow progression, I get what they were trying to do but it still is stupid imho. Here is this beautiful city where there could be utter chaos and some of the cooler shit is unlocked.

You want to go to the airport with buddies, steal a plane and fly around? Can't do that until you hit level [blank] or have 300,000 to spare to buy a plane.

Want to do the same with jetskis, bicycles? Either wait till you reach the required level or pray to god your server spawned them.

Right now I'm disliking the car spawning in GTAO. The singleplayer is fine but basically the first 3-4 cars you see in your server will now appear everywhere. Just like in old GTA games. So if you wanted a particular car you better wait or do a mission and hope that when you come back to free roam there are different cars.

EekTheKat

West Coast US, Just logged in on PS3, and my character was still there thank god.

Logged in, put on a mask and robbed a convenience store, and the money shows up in Social Club.

Tried to join a job, the job failed to download, then I started getting cloud errors. My character's hair color promptly changed back to her old color which caused me to freak out a bit so I just logged out.

Character is still showing up on social club as of this post however, with the proper level, hair, and money.

Top Bottom