• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

louiedog

Well I'm not saying that really. The free roam element of 5 is definitely better just because there's actually things to do in it. But they hamper some of that by locking so much behind an arbitrary COD leveling system that wasn't needed, and they didn't bother designing fun missions for people who feel like they HAVE to level to unlock all of the potential of free roam.

Everything being so expensive makes it obvious they want people to buy cash. F2P schemes becoming popular is going to end up being the worst thing that ever happened to gaming once it completely infests normal hardcore gaming. It completely changes design philosophy behind making money instead of making a good game.

The F2P model going on here really bothers me.

Because a small percentage of people will be willing to pay Rockstar $100, the rest of us will have to spend a few hours grinding before we can have fun.

so is there anyway to get some work done to fix my birthmark?

0_0.jpg

Disappointed to find out you can deposit cash you're holding directly to your account via your phone's internet browser, without the need for an ATM. Why do they allow this but not a party system? Makes ATMs rather useless doesnt it? One would think in many corcumstances it would be faster and safer just to hide or even go into passive mode and transfer your funds over rather than having to drive to an ATM and then deposit.

Darko

Their biggest issue with deathmatch is allowing lock-on in it. It takes away all the skill of aiming and just turns into who has the most powerful gun/reacts faster. So basically turns everything into a shotgun fest in any other game. Only with midrange weapons available now.

You only get matched with people that have your same aiming style (set in single player). And if you are joining an autoaim game/lobby it will warn you that the game has a different style and let you choose to join or not.

And autoaim or not it always turns into a shotgun/melee fest every game :(

GavinGT

Banned
You want to go to the airport with buddies, steal a plane and fly around? Can't do that until you hit level [blank] or have 300,000 to spare to buy a plane.

Want to do the same with jetskis, bicycles? Either wait till you reach the required level or pray to god your server spawned them.

Right now I'm disliking the car spawning in GTAO. The singleplayer is fine but basically the first 3-4 cars you see in your server will now appear everywhere. Just like in old GTA games. So if you wanted a particular car you better wait or do a mission and hope that when you come back to free roam there are different cars.

So I'm not crazy and air vehicles don't actually spawn until you reach a certain level? They just started showing up for me around level 8 or 10 or something.

tranciful

The F2P model going on here really bothers me.

Because a small percentage of people will be willing to pay Rockstar $100, the rest of us will have to spend a few hours grinding before we can have fun.

The grind isn't bad at all. People were getting the most expensive penthouse faster than you'd be able to complete the singleplayer campaign. It'd be stupid to give you everything up front.

Trigger

Disappointed to find out you can deposit cash you're holding directly to your account via your phone's internet browser, without the need for an ATM. Why do they allow this but not a party system? Makes ATMs rather useless doesnt it? One would think in many corcumstances it would be faster and safer just to hide or even go into passive mode and transfer your funds over rather than having to drive to an ATM and then deposit.

What? You can deposit funds anytime
(as long as someone's not trying to kill you, lol)
, by visitng the bank site on your phone.

I misread. Carry on! lol

Darko

Their biggest issue with deathmatch is allowing lock-on in it. It takes away all the skill of aiming and just turns into who has the most powerful gun/reacts faster. So basically turns everything into a shotgun fest in any other game. Only with midrange weapons available now.

As to the slow progression, I get what they were trying to do but it still is stupid imho. Here is this beautiful city where there could be utter chaos and some of the cooler shit is unlocked.

You want to go to the airport with buddies, steal a plane and fly around? Can't do that until you hit level [blank] or have 300,000 to spare to buy a plane.

you can find planes and helicopters on the map without buying them... i was flying a heli at level 4.. and riding a jetski even before that.

Well shit. Lost my level 13 character, garage, vehicles, etc. Even the Social Club shows that it isn't there (however, my banked cash of 38k is) - this is a damn shame, as it was the first GTA game I've truly enjoyed in a LONG time.

I lost a garage "twice" to the cloud, along with vehicles purchased, but they sure as hell didn't refund my cash...makes me wonder how many people will be losing their purchased GTA$ to cloud save failures if it's this easy to lose in game currency already? Man, I wish the character info was saved client side, at least in that case I could backup my saves before playing online like I was forced into doing with the SP campaign.

0_0.jpg

Also, what's the point of Passive mode? You can still die by being struck by vehicles, shot from vehicles, or shot while driving. At that point the player is paying money to have no ability to defend themselves (and upon dying, are still charged for being "wasted"), it might as well not be in the game at all. Either you give users 100% safety for a PRICE, or don't give them the option.

Gonna shelve this game for a bit, and wait until Rockstar finally gets their shit together. Maybe by then it'll be working AND enjoyable (well, aside from using that horrendous character creation tool; that shit is an outright JOKE compared to any of it's contemporaries). :D

This is exactly what I'm doing. I got largely upset and said fuck it. My character is gone even after it showed up in the character screen. I clicked her to continue and it brought me straight back to character creation. When I exited, I looked back and she was completely deleted. Only my money is still there. I checked social club, she's gone from there too and so is all my stats. I'm just over it and letting it go for a while....This screw up should be just as loud as the Simcity issues.

Imm0rt4l

If I buy a luxury car and it's destroyed, I don't have to buy another one so long as it's insured right? Also I've only ever had to steal my car back from the impound lot once, I'm guessing if it was destroyed there, I'd just have to pay right?

Eusis

LOL! Job invites saved my ass many times))
I actually had the inverse happen once: I took a job invite, job was full, came back to my character killed by some driveby jackass. I immediately enabled passive mode because FUCK YOU KILLING ME WHILE I COULDN'T DO SHIT.

Then I had to disable it to rob stores. Ah well.

you can find planes and helicopters on the map without buying them... i was flying a heli at level 4.. and riding a jetski even before that.

We've started to find helicopters but boats/jet skis and planes have yet to appear. My friend and I are around level 18 so hopefully they start appearing soon.

iddqd

All of this is should make some people a bit more hesitant when it comes to all the glory XBox One is supposed to bring.

Cloud services are not ready for the amount of people, or in a way, everyone with an Xbox One is going to be a somewhat frustrated beta tester for the first 12 months.

tranciful

Yeah they come up with cool mechanics like having to go to an ATM and even give you shortcuts in the select menu's GPS selector... and then make it entirely redundant by letting you do it on your phone.

And is it just me, or does only $100 drop from players no matter how much they have? You lose $2k in hospital bills (which I think should be lowered or be relative to your wallet instead of your bank account), so $100 isn't really consequential. It also means to be profitable killing people randomly, you need a 20:1 K:D ratio. I guess you can dump all your cash into a steady stock before going into a free mode battle, but that's just an annoying workaround.

GTAV has a ton of potential but they have so many bad decisions.

Derrick01

Banned
The grind isn't bad at all. People were getting the most expensive penthouse faster than you'd be able to complete the singleplayer campaign. It'd be stupid to give you everything up front.

It's pretty bad so far. I'm level 12 and I only have 26k in the bank because I purchased a single weapon mod for my uzi that cost $9000. I think the most I've made on a job so far is $5000 but most have been giving 1-2k. I went in to the tattoo place just to look and there was one that cost over 6k I believe. 6k for a fucking tattoo. They're not even trying to hide the fact that this is essentially a F2P system where they can say "ohhh but you don't have to buy anything you can get everything by playing", only they forget to mention it takes 400 hours to make significant progress.

Seems my only option is to grind a few of the known exploits right now. I didn't want to do that since I like to play the game the right way but they're not leaving me with much of a choice. I don't want to have to play the game for 4 months just to afford a decent garage, let alone an apartment with a decent garage.

tranciful

I actually had the inverse happen once: I took a job invite, job was full, came back to my character killed by some driveby jackass. I immediately enabled passive mode because FUCK YOU KILLING ME WHILE I COULDN'T DO SHIT.

Then I had to disable it to rob stores. Ah well.

Why not just go hunt down the guy for a revenge kill and kill him a few more times to teach him a lesson? Or put a bounty on him.

Passive mode is so redundant.

Friday my charecter was deleted, I did the race with some random. While getting the drugs I figured I'd pick him up and we could go together. When the guy runs dude chases him on foot I go and get the car to pick him up...here's where things go pear shapped. He gets in my car punches me in the face and speeds off, he kills the guy but I get the drugs and deliver them. We spawn in free roam he pulls his pistol and shoots me in the face...it's now on...except I have to watch kiffloms monologue about pointless passive mode. I go change my clothes, and mark dude with my phone I watch the map for a bit, steal a schyster I can tell dude is one foot I close in and NAILED him! Smearing blood all over my hood. My gf exploded into cheers and thouhgt it was the coolest thing ever.

Ding-Ding

Agree entirely. I quite like the "pressure" of being poor and I'm enjoying the races (land, sea, air), parachute jumps and some of the missions immensely, regardless of the payout.

My two biggest annoyances so far (beyond the obvious, server resilience) have been pretty minor:

- Passive mode - I'd prefer an ghost tourist/journalist type option;
- Checkpoint colour during some parachuting missions - blue on blue over the ocean sucks for the visually/colour impaired (pet peeve, grrr, UI sign-off guy, grrr).

I dont really like the idea of a ghost option but I think one way to solve the issue, is if a passive playing gets killed or kills, the offending party has to foot the medical bills.

That should stop those finding ways of abusing the system

k0ji-wd

We've started to find helicopters but boats/jet skis and planes have yet to appear. My friend and I are around level 18 so hopefully they start appearing soon.

Go to the beach, there's always a bunch of jetskis near the pier. My friends and I were stealing them to get away from cops at level 3.

Planes? Go to the military base and steal the fighter jet.

Gorillaz

unlocked survival feels good man
If I buy a luxury car and it's destroyed, I don't have to buy another one so long as it's insured right? Also I've only ever had to steal my car back from the impound lot once, I'm guessing if it was destroyed there, I'd just have to pay right?
Yep, just pay the fee and as long as its insured they will resend you a new one.

EekTheKat

LTTP, but I found this line to be interesting in the 1.02 patch notes :

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...ew-title-update-available-today-and-more.html

Fixes an issue where temporary characters were overwriting main characters.
Fixes an issue where players were losing apartments and the money they spent on them.

Judging by the outbreak of lost/deleted characters from earlier today, Rockstar didn't catch all possible causes that would cause temp characters to overwrite main ones. It may take them another few patches to iron this out.

At this point, I'd rather just not be able to play online knowing that there's no chance that my data would be overwritten instead of being able to play offline with a useless temp character that would never be saved.

UrbanRats

It's pretty bad so far. I'm level 12 and I only have 26k in the bank because I purchased a single weapon mod for my uzi that cost $9000. I think the most I've made on a job so far is $5000 but most have been giving 1-2k. I went in to the tattoo place just to look and there was one that cost over 6k I believe. 6k for a fucking tattoo. They're not even trying to hide the fact that this is essentially a F2P system where they can say "ohhh but you don't have to buy anything you can get everything by playing", only they forget to mention it takes 400 hours to make significant progress.

Seems my only option is to grind a few of the known exploits right now. I didn't want to do that since I like to play the game the right way but they're not leaving me with much of a choice. I don't want to have to play the game for 4 months just to afford a decent garage, let alone an apartment with a decent garage.

Consider that they plan to keep this thing going for much longer than normal GTAV multiplayer experience, they want it to go "forever" so it'll connect with GTAVI, most likely.

Derrick01

Banned
Another gripe I have is it seems like they took away my group of friends' favorite thing from GTA 4, the ability to launch almost everything by hitting it with helicopter blades. My friend was trying it on my car last night and the times he was able to hit it correctly my car moved like 4 inches. That was immensely disappointing for us, even more than a lot of the core problems with the Online mode.

Manic D

I still have not been able to start a single mission or connect online in any way on PS3. Took the intro Lamar ride multiple times and it never connects or loads the race.

Taking the time to replay story again.

tranciful

I had $30k before hitting level 8 and I was playing normally (bought a 2 car garage). Missions, robbing stores, selling vehicles. Cash comes quickly. I didn't buy any guns or tattoos because I'm poor and wanted to save up. I know I'll naturally have extra money later when I'm not trying to save up for nice property so I guess I'm not too worried about not being able to afford everything after a few days. This is an online game and I hope to be playing it for months -- it'd be lame if I was done with it after a week.

Have you never played an MMO?

Imm0rt4l

Another gripe I have is it seems like they took away my group of friends' favorite thing from GTA 4, the ability to launch almost everything by hitting it with helicopter blades. My friend was trying it on my car last night and the times he was able to hit it correctly my car moved like 4 inches. That was immensely disappointing for us, even more than a lot of the core problems with the Online mode.

That's a rather strange complaint to make. I did see some guys having fun biking off a halfpipe into the propeller blades though.

I dont really like the idea of a ghost option but I think one way to solve the issue, is if a passive playing gets killed or kills, the offending party has to foot the medical bills.

That should stop those finding ways of abusing the system

We should all email Rockstar about this!

Top Bottom