• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

My friend is getting really frustrated with the game right now. Everytime he joins he's in this walking mode where he can't run or shoot. Anyone see this before?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm finally up to $150,000. Not sure if I want to purchase a cheap apartment now, or keep going and get the best I can get. So addicting!

I really want to purchase a Motorbike online, but need a garage to do so... might just purchase a house right now.

Apartment is worth it IMO.

Safe place to spawn online, garage storage, car delivery (sometimes), buy cars online no real negatives from having one.

Yeah, because GAF Street has 300 people, plus all your friends, plus everyone in your session, plus skill matched players... Haha "Auto Invite and Play" gets pressed a lot.

Well, I'm not into GAF Bay yet or have any friends in game, but I hope to see everyone Online.

Those invites are from when people choose Auto-Invite. The game then tries to populate the game with your Crew, your Friends list, everyone in your Free Roam instance and people who chose to "Join" the mission you're doing.

Players aren't spamming you, the Auto Invite system is.

So it's an auto invite system eh? Good to know!

pushBAK

Is there a way to repeat missions after you've surpassed its level? Me and 3 buds were able to grind 600k in about 3 hours from the level 15 mission "Violent Duct". Bought the 400k apt and a Corquette.

DietRob

Oh, cool so now I have gang areas unlocked. Do they show up like the weed missions in SP? Do I need to call somebody to initiate it?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Oh, cool so now I have gang areas unlocked. Do they show up like the weed missions in SP? Do I need to call somebody to initiate it?

No, they'll just show up as a red area on your minimap when you drive by them. Just need to go in and start shooting gang members to start the mission.

Tevious

So I'm gonna assume when you get a high profile vehicle that Simeon wants that it appears for all players. I had one such vehicle after losing the sops. I than resprayed it and was ambushed for it by another player.

We went back and forth a kill or 2 until finally I booked it down to Simeon's garage, waited and ambushed the other guy and quickly delivered the vehicle.

I'm gonna assume this is how it works and he wasn't just some asshole gunning for me.

In the midst of all this someone destroyed my personal vehicle...

*EDIT* Can anyone confirm/deny this???

You are correct. Everyone can see it. I had some assholes gun me down and blow up the car before. I also was fighting two guys over another one and they ended up kicking me cause I was kicking their asses. Pissed me off, cause I paid for the respray. People keep abusing the kick system.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Is there a way to repeat missions after you've surpassed its level? Me and 3 buds were able to grind 600k in about 3 hours from the level 15 mission "Violent Duct". Bought the 400k apt and a Corquette.

You can. For that particular mission you just need to keep calling Gerald and request a mission from him until he gives you the one you want.

So yeah.. I spent way too long on this, but here ya go :D

tumblr_mua512jE8u1riirq5o1_500.gif

Mother of god this is gold fellow gaffer

They really need to overhaul their passive system. The whole server should be either passive or not, it's lame you have to pick between getting griefed by a hundred random assholes just to be able to pull out your weapon or shoot cops, or not be able to do almost literally anything fun in the world.

I can make a private online game with friends right? Maybe I'll just do that.

Arcteryx

hahaha it's hilarious having a bounty and just chilling in your apartment. I had 6 people swarming it tonight ringing the doorbell and blowing shit up outside. I couldn't leave it, but I just did missions/switched lobbies whenever they got too obnoxious.

Gaz_RB

They really need to overhaul their passive system. The whole server should be either passive or not, it's lame you have to pick between getting griefed by a hundred random assholes just to be able to pull out your weapon or shoot cops, or not be able to do almost literally anything fun in the world.

Agreed. Passive mode is a really half assed concept. They needed to either go all the way with it (servers) or get rid of it completely

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
hahaha it's hilarious having a bounty and just chilling in your apartment. I had 6 people swarming it tonight ringing the doorbell and blowing shit up outside. I couldn't leave it, but I just did missions/switched lobbies whenever they got too obnoxious.

Makes me want to do it just so I can watch with my security camera or if I can see them, the window, lol.

Tawpgun

Won a game of golf on the last hole by one stroke.

Did some fucking CRAZY ass mission for Lester and only got 2k for it. WTF!

And got like 15k in bounties collected in free roam hahaha. There was one dude clearly in it for a challenge and was putting a bounty on himself... if thats possible, or having someone else do it. And then he would use sticky bombs as traps or suicide bombs. But I still managed to kill him twice hehhhee

I love this game.

Good work Rogue, on Violent Duct- I just needed a break after grinding! Felt like racing :)

I think people should grind races in small groups as opposed to just doing Violent Duct all the time. That way, not only are you getting paid, you're also raising your driving skill and unlocking engine upgrades. Plus there's some variety thank god.

Did some fucking CRAZY ass mission for Lester and only got 2k for it. WTF!

Cash rewards for missions seem almost random. R* definitely needs to rebalance what pays out what and what gets unlocked when.

That whats we've been doing.

I start up GTAOnline from single player, making sure its a friends only lobby. I send out some invites and do basic upkeep while people trickle in. We might free roam for a bit but then we'll start launching missions, and depending upon the mission we may open it up to matchmaking. As long as you're doing missions this is fine. When you want to go back to free roam, everybody quits out of voting, cancels, and then I send the invites out again. Rinse, repeat.

And like I mentioned, races have been a great time, along with chases and evading the cops. Its the shooting focused missions that are really getting me down.

And yeah, a part of me really wants to play some golf. I can't fucking stand the reality of golf, but I loves me the hell out of golf videogames.

dreamfall

I think people should grind races in small groups as opposed to just doing Violent Duct all the time. That way, not only are you getting paid, you're also raising your driving skill and unlocking engine upgrades. Plus there's some variety thank god.

Oh, I love races- Catch up always off! We had some great GAF racing crew late nights, I'll probably host (360) if anyone wants in. It's also important to win races to get the best upgrades for your vehicles!

SnakeEyes

Banned
So can you sell your apartment? I was considering getting one but whats the point if I can just save up for a better one?
Your properties are sold when you buy a new one. I bought the 400k apartment today, and when you buy it you get half the value of your previous property back in cash.

iratA

Question regarding online. My online character is gone when I check the social club but it says I still have 70k in the bank. Does that mean if I create another character in the same or separate slot I'll get access to that money?

Gaz_RB

So I just got spawn killed so I took the guy's car, killed him, then drove it into the ocean. I then got labeled as bad sport for the next 2 days. I now have an unchangeable dunce cap on...

I understand getting it for quitting games(which I never do) but for blowing someone's car? It just doesn't make sense.

I really hate that system. Idk if I even want to play this game for the next couple days...

So I played a game of tennis with someone, completely dominated them 6 to 1 and of course right after the game finished they ran up to me with a shotgun and blew my head off. Talk about a bad sport... I then killed them a couple times, they requested a one on one death match, killed them five more times (I think they got me three times) and that should've been the end of it but nope. They come and kill me again so I ended up killing them a couple more times again. >_>

I then got the fuck out of there. Also noticed people are using bounties to bait people.

On another note for all that time spent playing tennis my strength stat went up zero. 1600 or so RP but by the time that game was finished I could have done five races. >_>

Man I've been grinding Duct for about an hour. Starting to get bored TBH but dat money.
Rob you lucky GAFfer.

You can. For that particular mission you just need to keep calling Gerald and request a mission from him until he gives you the one you want.

GTAO once I got to level 15 I kept calling him and failing that switched games to call him again, gave in and did a mission of his called some more and so on for a good six hours and nothing. I did get the one where Gerald wants you to steal the drugs and then after delivering it go destory some Vagos vehicles but that takes too damn long, especially solo which I did most missions because too many people just want to zerg and while they take awhile they're stupid easy if you just use a little strategy.

On the other hand that Lester mission where you blow up police vehicles is annoying. Though TBH I'm still just very annoyed how they spawned me IN the goddamn prison area after the cops shot me as I was tossing a grenade at the bus. So I was trapped and killed again without any real chance to get away.

EDIT: Oh another annoyance, got a phone call at the start of a shootout and couldn't get out of the phone shit fast enough so I could switch weapons, it was the call I'm guessing with
Brucie
offering to Bull Shark Testosterone, no idea what he said though because I hung up it as fast as I could..

Gaz_RB

Oh, I love races- Catch up always off! We had some great GAF racing crew late nights, I'll probably host (360) if anyone wants in. It's also important to win races to get the best upgrades for your vehicles!

Just tried to join your race, but I can't because it says "the game you are trying to join is for people who are not bad sports or cheaters-you are a bad sport" wtf? I can even join friend's games because I blew up other players cars? All they have to do is pay a couple hundred and drive to the parking lot.. Infuriating system.

So I just got spawn killed so I took the guy's car, killed him, then drove it into the ocean. I then got labeled as bad sport for the next 2 days. I now have an unchangeable dunce cap on...

I understand getting it for quitting games(which I never do) but for blowing someone's car? It just doesn't make sense.

I really hate that system. Idk if I even want to play this game for the next couple days...

If they gave you a dunce cap you had to have known that dumping his car could get you in trouble. That said, I don't think it makes sense to call someone a bad sport for blowing up someone's car with them inside it. I've done that a few times. I was just trying to kill him, I swear

How do you go about splitting the take from robbing liquor stores and the like in free roam? I couldn't find an option to share cash.

Hold down select, go to inventory, then Cash.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just tried to join your race, but I can't because it says "the game you are trying to join is for people who are not bad sports or cheaters-you are a bad sport" wtf? I can even join friend's games because I blew up other players cars? All they have to do is pay a couple hundred and drive to the parking lot.. Infuriating system.
They did threaten to put all the "bad players" together in the same pool.

DietRob

Holy shit. I've been driving around robbing all the liquor stores and I was on a long journey to the next store north of Mt. Chilaid. So I'm flying down the road and WTF a red cement truck pulls right into oncoming traffic. BAM hit the mother fucker lost half my health, while I'm sitting there trying to shake it off the driver comes barreling out of his truck and yanks me out of the car. He delivers 2 haymakers I stumble into the next lane of traffic then SMACK hit by a truck. Laughing like hell until I pull up my transaction log and see that this interaction has cost me 2k.

dreamfall

Oh my goodness... WHAT. Let me invite you post lobby! SHEEESH!

That's so strange- I see the Bad Sport tag on your guy :/

Gaz_RB

They did threaten to put all the "bad players" together in the same pool.

And I'm fine with that. I don't go around murdering people randomly. What I don't understand is why it's not being a bad sport to spawn kill people and do nothing but cause trouble, but the second you blow up a car, you're a bad sport.

It's telling that everyone in the bad sport lobbies I've had to join are higher levels... Once you give a player explosives, why wouldn't they use them. Stupid system.

Races have thus far been my favorite thing to do in GTAO. Which is surprising to me, given how much I hated racing (and everything else about) the online in GTA4.

I haven't been grinding so I'm finding making money to be a bit slow, but I get enough to buy the shit I wanna buy. Mostly car stuff.

dreamfall

And I'm fine with that. I don't go around murdering people randomly. What I don't understand is why it's not being a bad sport to spawn kill people and do nothing but cause trouble, but the second you blow up a car, you're a bad sport.

It's telling that everyone in the bad sport lobbies I've had to join are higher levels... Once you give a player explosives, why wouldn't they use them. Stupid system.

That is ridiculous. I do enjoy blowing up people's vehicles, specifically if they've gone around murdering me in Free roam.

Gaz_RB

If they gave you a dunce cap you had to have known that dumping his car could get you in trouble. That said, I don't think it makes sense to call someone a bad sport for blowing up someone's car with them inside it. I've done that a few times. I was just trying to kill him, I swear.

I have too. A few times too many I guess. Like... What's the difference between killing someone ( costing them a bunch of hospital bills) and blowing up their at ( a few hundred and a trip to the parking lot)? I don't even mind paying insurance, but stopping me from playing with my friends because of blowing up cars of people who attack me first is ridiculous, and I love almost every other aspect of this game.

Ok so the same friend can now run, but he can't drive cars fast. They only go at a slow pace. Wtf.

Had to restart my Xbox to fix that glitch.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
How do you go about splitting the take from robbing liquor stores and the like in free roam? I couldn't find an option to share cash.
Go to your inventory and select the cash option.

I guess it's because a player could technically buy the pacifism thing and turn off PK but their cars are still vulnerable? I dunno. But this is a mode that feels half-baked at the moment anyway. :p

Haines

Banned
Is the PS3 version still down. I checked earlier today and it said "cloud is down"

It takes me changing a few cables around to get on and check , so easier to ask here

dreamfall

I'll check and send you and invite. Might see if creating a character works too.

Shouldn't have to though...

I 100% agree. It almost breaks the game at higher levels, I swear.

Holy shit I can't join it. It says the session is for "Bad Sports Only"- what the fuck!

Tevious

From what I hear it's exactly the same as some of the other expensive apartments with 10 car garages...just in a different spot with a better view.

Are all 10 car garage apartments the same then?

I heard there is one in downtown that's the same and many people prefer the view to the 400k one. Anyone know which one is that?

BraXzy

I wish the game made buying stuff more informative and fun. I mean, I can't decide on an apartment, why can't I have a tour of a place? I don't know what car to invest in.. why can't I look in a dealership and test drive some?

bidguy

Banned
wow what the fuck is wrong with random people in this game ? dipshits go out of their way just to kill you

some darwinistic bullshit here

DogMeat77

That whole "bad sport" system needs to go.

It has no place in a game like GTA, this is ridiculous.

I agree. I haven't been marked as a bad sport but I am infinitely puzzled how one could be considered a bad sport by killing/blowing things up. I get it if you are quitting races/missions/etc before they finish as that truly is just being a sore loser... but c'mon... the same game known for killing hookers to get your money back decides to place a moral compass on MP. Silly silly silly.

duckroll

I wish the game made buying stuff more informative and fun. I mean, I can't decide on an apartment, why can't I have a tour of a place? I don't know what car to invest in.. why can't I look in a dealership and test drive some?

All that would require more intelligent design, better implementation, and proper resource allocation into the right things. Those are things which Rockstar seems incapable of in GTA Online right now. Lolololol.

Top Bottom