• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

I'm really surprised I haven't gotten killed more in free roam. Granted, I'm in passive mode most of the time but I've left myself open to attack plenty of times.

After like 20 hours of gameplay I've been killed in free roam 4 times. People do try to steal my tricked out car a lot, which of course they can't get into and that's always pretty funny.

Future

Well finally lost some progress. Last night I had made over 100k and bought sunglasses and shit. It remembers none of that to tonight

It does remember my rank though. Social club remembers i made that 100k total too even though its not in my bank. So clearly sometimes shit doesn't save, and you never really know if it did or not. Yes I quit out to single player first as recommended. Didnt help. No errors either last night

Since the stats show I made the money, the proof is right there. Rockstar could fix it if they wanted. Probably wont

pringles

Bulletproof windows is my #1 wish for this game.

Way too fucking easy for assholes to spray a hs when I'm just driving around.

Also the respawning needs to be changed. Don't respawn me 10 meters from where I died, where the dude that killed me can just turn around and shoot me again (because he's a douchebag). Give a choice to respawn somewhere else, make passive mode automatic (and free) upon death for a set time, have my blip invisible on map for a minute after respawning, or something.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.

Also the respawning needs to be changed. Don't respawn me 10 meters from where I died, where the dude that killed me can just turn around and shoot me again (because he's a douchebag). Give a choice to respawn somewhere else, make passive mode automatic (and free) upon death for a set time, have my blip invisible on map for a minute after respawning, or something.

What do you expect from grand theft auto online ?

A peace protest ? Invite a few homies into the game and ride with them if you can't defend yourself.

twisted89

Fully agree with this but even more so they need to remove the radar in deathmatches, it just turns into a camp fest as everyone knows where each other are.

pringles

A peace protest ? Invite a few homies into the game and ride with them if you can't defend yourself.
There's not a lot to gain from killing a player over and over. So yeah I wouldn't expect people to do it as much as they do. Leads to everyone being paranoid and keeping away from eachother and only riding in crews. That's what I do too mostly as it's too dangerous (on some servers) to play alone. Some of my best moments so far though have been going around by myself and helping other randoms run from cops or get into the military base or so on. Such a great experience on servers where all of Los Santos isn't a deathmatch.

KAP151

I love sniping from rooftops.

Especially considering my shitty ping, it is satisfying one shotting some poor bastard speeding around. They never know whats coming.

What with the kicking players from the lobby, it's bullshit. I had two douche bags just following me around abusing me over the mic and trying to kill me just before. But because I kept killing them before they could get me they kicked me from the match. Which is crap.

KAP151

What with the kicking players from the lobby, it's bullshit. I had two douche bags just following me around abusing me over the mic and trying to kill me just before. But because I kept killing them before they could get me they kicked me from the match. Which is crap.

Most of it comes down the piss poor party system Rockstar has implemented. It needs to be fixed.

Carcetti

How about adding consequences to actually killing someone. If I kill a griefer he

a) spawns so near he can spray me with an SMG withing 3 seconds of me killing him
b) kill me and then immediately switch servers to avoid further combat
c) vote me off the server

Can't see how 'homies' help there.

Basic random pvp combat is so bad in this game because of badly thought out mechanisms.

my god. my friends and I finally got the online to work flawlessly tonight and, well, I never expected to be more impressed with the online than I was with the single player but holy shit after 6 solid hours of races through the skies, through a country club in golf carts, flying through the air after crashes, after hectic insane deathmatches and awesome team missions... this shit is solid as fuck

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Anyone notice the horrible mini spawns all over the place during the find a car tutorial. Its by far the most horrible car in the game.

Got my self a nice convertible for my robbery spree and i will kill and rob every player I see.

bjb

Banned
Every time I try and buy a truck for Trevor it never actually gets delivered to my garage. Is this still bugged or something?

red731

Every time I try and buy a truck for Trevor it never actually gets delivered to my garage. Is this still bugged or something?

image.php

This is for online, bro
KuGsj.gif

Static Jak

2 days later, my character is still gone.

The server issues at launch didn't annoy me too much, it's the risk of loosing all progress made at any time. I can't think of any other MP game or MMO that I've played where loosing you character forever was a possible issue.

dreamfall

Some epic GAF times tonight with Rogue. We tried to go for the bounty achievement by placing them on each other. And then scores of other players came to kill us. Would've escaped too, if not for flying into a missile. Stealing a jet from the base was wild- it is so hard to get outta there without getting gunned down! I flew about for a good 30 minutes, happy to have done it!

This game, my goodness. When it works properly, there is a ton of fun to be had. And the abilities that open up later on are awesome- having a mechanic deliver your car to you in the middle of the desert, calling Lester to locate a helicopter, calling for backup- there are some great abilities!

red731

I can't wait for some racing today.
When people are on their mics and you will coundown to "everyone press X to jerk" it is so damn funny.

It is like game inside a game. Metagames if you want.

I have a question. When you guys load up your singleplayer game, and hit down on the dpad, does your character show up? I ask because mine never shows until I go into multiplayer once. (360)

Threw a grenade at a cop car wich proceeded to crash in to a vehicle that apparently was owned by someone.
Both explode and i get the "Bad Sport" message.

First off, how can i recognize if a car is owned by somene without trying to get in to it?

Secondly, Why is everyone trying to kill everyone?

I was trying to help out this guy by removing some of his police chasers, only to be mowed down in the end by him self as a thank you. Thats not gangster!

I've created a crew (SmokinWithTheBandits) and i'm looking for members that are willing to help eachother out in missions, when low on money or when chased by cops, or simply hang out in a apartement smoke a bong or two, or go cruisin on the road or sea.
United against the system!

XBOX 360 handle : dj Ren78

The whole personal car thing of the bad sport system needs to go, unless they mark player cars for people which would be worse, but its the only two ways i see that improving

as for the whole players treating the game as an every man for himself death match...its annoying as hell! i've helped players out before when cops were chasing them and a few times they've jsut been good sports and i've dropped them off, or left them with the ride, but a few times i've helped people out and as a thankyou been shot in the face!
thats is being a bad sport!

Toothpick

Went and bought a 335k apartment today. It's in Weazel tower or something like that, right across the vinewood movie studios. I think every apartment greater than 200k is the same and the only thing different is the view. If it's the same price tier, the higher price is for a higher floor. So I basically paid 35k to have the top floor haha. 10 car garage is nice

I really like this location though, view is nice. ammunation, haircuts, golf course, clothes and pay and spray aren't too far off and the drive to the helicopters by the docks is pretty straightforward.

Bollocks

Let me be the first to say this, the boobs on the female characters are way too low.
Even age 21 the boobs are saggy as fuck. Fix this shit Guerilla

Toothpick

Funny story: drove out of my garage and not one minute later i see a cluster of 5 players on the mini map coming in my direction. I'm curious and i want to see the mayhem so i stop and expect them to pass by chasing someone. 5 cars turn into my street and i realize i've made a huge mistake lol. I try to take off in my car but these guys were on my ass in a matter of seconds crashing into me and unloading their smg's, never stood a chance haha.

They came after me again 5 minutes later but i went out with a sticky bomb and took 3 of them out with their cars. I got bad sport warnings but they left me alone after that lol.

worth it.

iratA

Well finally lost some progress. Last night I had made over 100k and bought sunglasses and shit. It remembers none of that to tonight

It does remember my rank though. Social club remembers i made that 100k total too even though its not in my bank. So clearly sometimes shit doesn't save, and you never really know if it did or not. Yes I quit out to single player first as recommended. Didnt help. No errors either last night

Since the stats show I made the money, the proof is right there. Rockstar could fix it if they wanted. Probably wont

My experience has been pretty much identical.

I dropped 4 levels and about 30k between logins. Exited safely to the single-player before quitting to the cross-media bar. So who knows whats causing the loss of data?

So after working like a mad dog to recover my lost progress, next log-in and it had all gone! Great stuff.

red731

If white dots are heading your way, sticky bomb the street.

Thank you Toothpick. This will be hilarious. I kinda want to put bounty on my head to attract more heat.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
To quote myself from yesterday.

I really don't know what is going on with my character.

I've played most of the day, was 8 and ended near 11 this afternoon, Rockstar Social Club shows me as level 8 with what I was wearing at level 11. I loaded up the game now and I am level 3 but wearing what I was wearing at level 8 with my garage and cars that I didn't get till level 6. Also lost about 50k from level 10 to now level 3.

Really getting bored of this, it isn't the progress that is annoying, it is the hours lost across all 6 characters I've had to go through, and I've been turning it off from SP since thursday just incase.

Seems my character has now come back at level 8 from mid day Sunday, which means I lost half of the days gaming progress and about 50k, but at least she wasn't actually reset all the way back to 3, because I'd actually like to unlock some of the later races and stuff.

KoyukiNL

Neo Member
Fully agree with this but even more so they need to remove the radar in deathmatches, it just turns into a camp fest as everyone knows where each other are.

How does that radar work anyway? Do you only see it when people are running? I get your point btw, but on the other hand I kind of like it, waiting in cover for someone to come out (with that amazing music) etc. The deathmatches areas are small enough too, I haven't seen too much camping up until now.

The problem I have, and this is my problem with most cover based games, is that my character sometimes sticks to the wrong cover.

I have a little question about matching up with your friends, the system keeps telling me that I'm unable to do so because of some reason. Anyone know any reason to do this ?

Astery

There's not a lot to gain from killing a player over and over. So yeah I wouldn't expect people to do it as much as they do. Leads to everyone being paranoid and keeping away from eachother and only riding in crews. That's what I do too mostly as it's too dangerous (on some servers) to play alone. Some of my best moments so far though have been going around by myself and helping other randoms run from cops or get into the military base or so on. Such a great experience on servers where all of Los Santos isn't a deathmatch.

I agree. I found it kinda sad that in every public random server I have to avoid every other blips in the map since 99% of the time when someone gets close to me they are trying to kill me. And I'm just sitting in my own car. Helping randoms is much more fun than hunting them imo.

twisted89

How does that radar work anyway? Do you only see it when people are running? I get your point btw, but on the other hand I kind of like it, waiting in cover for someone to come out (with that amazing music) etc. The deathmatches areas are small enough too, I haven't seen too much camping up until now.

The problem I have, and this is my problem with most cover based games, is that my character sometimes sticks to the wrong cover.

Well I haven't played many as I just don't enjoy them but it seems everyone can see each other the whole time on the radar. It just ends up with people waiting on corners for the other person to pop out.

meep!

Neo Member
The matchmaking system for this just take you away of the immersion all the time. I don't understand why they designed everything in the game around this. This is GTA, not CoD or something where sitting in a lobby to find a match is fine. I don't want to go over to a mission, get thrown out of the game, and wait for 10 minutes for a match to fill up.
Is noone really having any issue with this? Well I've seen a few people do, but are the majority of people actually finding this design fun in an open world game?

CookTrain

Well I haven't played many as I just don't enjoy them but it seems everyone can see each other the whole time on the radar. It just ends up with people waiting on corners for the other person to pop out.

Players definitely fade in and out at times on the radar, but it's really difficult to tell if it's sprint-noise like in the single player (sometimes the echo from your steps shows on the radar) or if it's firing your gun... for all the banal stuff they explained in the tutorial, almost none of the online side nuance is explained.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I have a little question about matching up with your friends, the system keeps telling me that I'm unable to do so because of some reason. Anyone know any reason to do this ?

You will need to give some clues as to the reason there fella! It could be one of many right now. Servers down, cloud down, not having completed the tutorial, general server oddness, full lobbies etc

newsguy

I've had to leave 2 missions early because my baby woke up and was crying. How many times can I do this before I'm a bad sport?? I am actually a nice guy. I almost ran over a guy in free roam and rolled my car to avoid him. Asshole shoots me thru the glass instead of thanking me lol.

plasmasd

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

My Comet after 30 minutes of me and some other guys just ramming each other at full speed over and over. After this we got out and started beating our cars with bats over and over. good times.

Though, all my friends have lost their characters...

Some guy shot up one of the unique cars I was taking to Simeon, so I tailed him to a barbershop, waited for him to get his hair done, then walked in and beat him to death. Good times.

red731

Some guy shot up one of the unique cars I was taking to Simeon, so I tailed him to a barbershop, waited for him to get his hair done, then walked in and beat him to death. Good times.

Everytime you post something it totally corresponds with your username.
I can hear the Dick Justice theme I made up too!

KoyukiNL

Neo Member
The matchmaking system for this just take you away of the immersion all the time. I don't understand why they designed everything in the game around this. This is GTA, not CoD or something where sitting in a lobby to find a match is fine. I don't want to go over to a mission, get thrown out of the game, and wait for 10 minutes for a match to fill up.
Is noone really having any issue with this? Well I've seen a few people do, but are the majority of people actually finding this design fun in an open world game?
This is my biggest problem with (console) multiplayer games; waiting in lobbies, waiting for all the votes etc. Future games/consoles really have to improve on this. They should patch it and take 30 seconds off the countdown timer too.

Although I think atm the slow lobbies/voting have also got to do with connection issues. Sometimes the voting screen doesn't even show up until 10 seconds later for me.

Top Bottom