• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Gaz_RB

Holy shit I can't join it. It says the session is for "Bad Sports Only"- what the fuck!

Man that is insane! Sucks man, was hoping to do someone nocturnal racing tonight. Can't believe you can't even play with friends. I feel like I'm a child and Rockstar put me in the corner lmao...

I think the bad sport system should be exclusive to quitting games early, not blowing up cars.

Arcteryx

dreamfall

Man that is insane! Sucks man, was hoping to do someone nocturnal racing tonight. Can't believe you can't even play with friends. I feel like I'm a child and Rockstar put me in the corner lmao...

Wait- what if I become a bad sport also? Is it a ghost town out there? We could race!

Gorillaz

So I'm gonna assume when you get a high profile vehicle that Simeon wants that it appears for all players. I had one such vehicle after losing the sops. I than resprayed it and was ambushed for it by another player.

We went back and forth a kill or 2 until finally I booked it down to Simeon's garage, waited and ambushed the other guy and quickly delivered the vehicle.

I'm gonna assume this is how it works and he wasn't just some asshole gunning for me.

In the midst of all this someone destroyed my personal vehicle...

*EDIT* Can anyone confirm/deny this???
I can confirm it because I ambushed and took the car from someone else and he called a bounty on me for it lol

FUME5

Is there a way to repeat missions after you've surpassed its level? Me and 3 buds were able to grind 600k in about 3 hours from the level 15 mission "Violent Duct". Bought the 400k apt and a Corquette.

Yes, if you hit the right trigger instead of pushing A (on 360) you will be able to replay missions you have successfully completed. The update just removed the tooltip as opposed to disabling the ability to replay the mission.

Gaz_RB

Wait- what if I become a bad sport also? Is it a ghost town out there? We could race!

It's a ghost town. Right now I'm just sitting in a lobby with two other people talking about how bullshit the system is. Tried finding a new game or job and there is just nothing there. Don't do it!

Simo

Looks like I lost my level 25 character I created at launch along with the $200K apartment. Fucking wonderful. =/

I've got no desire to create a new character and restart after all that so unless Rockstar fixes it so that lost characters return, fuck this game I'm out.

Haines

Banned
Looks like I lost my level 25 character I created at launch along with the $200K apartment. Fucking wonderful. =/

I've got no desire to create a new character and restart after all that so unless Rockstar fixes it so that lost characters return, fuck this game I'm out.

Is this on PS3? I havent started playing Online yet, but it would be a good idea for me to wait even longer it sounds?

railGUN

Banned
When collecting cars for the exotics guy, are they marked in any way, or do have to know what they look like and just spot them in the wild?

When collecting cars for the exotics guy, are they marked in any way, or do have to know what they look like and just spot them in the wild?

Both, He sends you a text with models to look out for.

2nd he also tells you he wants a specific vehicle and it is marked on the map

Simo

Is this on PS3? I havent started playing Online yet, but it would be a good idea for me to wait even longer it sounds?

Me and my friends were playing earlier today with no problems, everything ran smooth. I quit the game via the start menu and then tonight I go to log on and I'm hit with "Service not available" and now when I try to launch online it just takes me to the character creator with no cash. Social Club is even showing my character is gone.

The sad fucking thing is one of my buddies who I was playing online with earlier lost his too.

DogMeat77

It just depends on how pissed you will be when you lose your character. I've gone through 5 or so on PS3. I don't really care because my goal is just to stockpile money in my bank account for when everything is fixed. I should have all the money I need at that point.

I can pretty much guarantee you that you will lose your progress at least once if you start playing. If that sounds frustrating to you, you might want to avoid.

I'm enjoying playing the game and I am not focused on leveling my characters so the loss doesn't really phase me. I knew well in advance that people were losing their apartments, characters, cars, etc. so I'm not spending a dime except for on ammo and a few weapons.

Haines

Banned
It just depends on how pissed you will be when you lose your character. I've gone through 5 or so on PS3. I don't really care because my goal is just to stockpile money in my bank account for when everything is fixed. I should have all the money I need at that point.

I can pretty much guarantee you that you will lose your progress at least once if you start playing. If that sounds frustrating to you, you might want to avoid.

I'm enjoying playing the game and I am not focused on leveling my characters so the lose doesn't really phase me. I knew well in advance that people were losing their apartments, characters, cars, etc. so I'm not spending a dime except for on ammo and a few weapons.

I actually dont really know exactly how the online works and what I really will lose/keep.

I just finished the Single Player. Would I get just as much fun out of messing around in it, or is the Online a whole different beast?

Another question that has single player spoilers
Is there a way to get micheal back after i killed him at the end? Just say yes if so, ill figure it out.

Gaz_RB

I actually dont really know exactly how the online works and what I really will lose/keep.

I just finished the Single Player. Would I get just as much fun out of messing around in it, or is the Online a whole different beast?

Is there a way to get micheal back after i killed him at the end? Just say yes if so, ill figure it out.

No to your end game spoiler

DogMeat77

I'm having fun with it... I enjoy the racing a lot. However, I totally get why people are pissed about losing their apartments and stuff that they grinded for. I'd be salty too if I hadn't just been banking the money for later.

To your spoiler question: No. Not unless you have a save prior to said event.

Ploid 3.0

Hey what's the deal with the expensive cars you buy, and having to rebuy full coverage?

If my car explode will I lose it forever if I don't reapply full coverage?

I spent 30k on it 2 times and it never got destroyed before. Does it get removed if you add a new car to your garage or something?

That whole "bad sport" system needs to go.

It has no place in a game like GTA, this is ridiculous.

I don't think the idea itself is bad, but how it's implemented is terrible. You shouldn't get bad sport for blowing up someone's car. You should get it for spawn camping someone in the free roam. You should get it for picking on much lower ranked players repeatedly. You should get it for quitting early/sabotaging your team on missions. Bad Sport for blowing up someone's vehicle is disproportionate and stupid in a GTA game, especially when you can blow up a car by accident just shooting its gas tank enough times.

jediyoshi

I agree. I haven't been marked as a bad sport but I am infinitely puzzled how one could be considered a bad sport by killing/blowing things up.

Is this confirmed? Indiscriminately killing players/stealing their vehicles/blowing them up hasn't dinged me like leaving a job early has. There are straight up badges tied to doing drive bys in freemode, so killing definitely isn't one.

Simo

Well, I guess I finally found something I dont like about GTAV. That is lame as all hell.

EDIT: thanks Possum. so my understanding is that if i play and just bank my money ill pretty much be ok. cool.

No because some folks are losing all their banked money too. I had over $50K banked this morning thats all gone now.

jediyoshi

No because some folks are losing all their banked money too. I had over $50K banked this morning thats all gone now.

Was your character intact and money gone or was the entirety of your progress gone? If it's the latter, it's an error with connecting to Rockstar.

Simo

Was your character intact and money gone or was the entirety of your progress gone? If it's the latter, it's an error with connecting to Rockstar.

Looks like the latter as in all progression, character and money is gone and social club is just showing a level 0 citizen with no cash or bank. Really hoping it's the servers fucked and my character is still intact.

Ploid 3.0

0_0.jpg

Yep all but 2 of these cars are the Land Rovers. 9k each, I will not have to look for them when I'm able to trade in a car. Just when I happen to see the streets full of them I fill the garage.

GavinGT

Banned
Bah, so close to the Bounty achievement! Sniped while diving off into the furthest coast!

I just took a helicopter and flew up to the top of the tallest building. Then I sat there for like 35 minutes as white circles swarmed around at ground level looking for me. At one point a plane tried to crash into me, but missed and blew himself up.

EDIT: I think I might rely too much on the .50 Cal Pistol from the SE, I've been using it way too much but it's just so good at killing people at a long distance and I have a silencer on it just for "fun". I also need to dump the standard handgun and maybe the other weaker weapons because it seems like your weapons (at least in my experience) will revert to weapon number one for the category and it's annoying as fuck. Oh and if I have a flash light on it, it's on by default, turn it off and it'll come back on along with this issue. Don't need there's any benefit of having the light on a gun other than making it easier for others to see you and not blinding them like I'd hope it would.

That whole "bad sport" system needs to go.

It has no place in a game like GTA, this is ridiculous.

It needs tweaks I think there's a fine line between what is "expected" GTA play and being a dick/bad sport and it does need adjusting.

Looks like the latter as in all progression, character and money is gone and social club is just showing a level 0 citizen with no cash or bank. Really hoping it's the servers fucked and my character is still intact.

Your character is still there, just not available, don't create another character it'll come back up eventually. I've had that happen to me repeatedly over the last few days and my character was never actually deleted.

Simo

Your character is still there, just not available, don't create another character it'll come back up eventually. I've had that happen to me repeatedly over the last few days and my character was never actually deleted.

Really?! Even if they don't show up on the social club site? I hope that's the case then!

DogMeat77

Is this confirmed? Indiscriminately killing players/stealing their vehicles/blowing them up hasn't dinged me like leaving a job early has. There are straight up badges tied to doing drive bys in freemode, so killing definitely isn't one.

Killing isn't but blowing up personal vehicles is.

dreamfall

I just took a helicopter and flew up to the top of the tallest building. Then I sat there for like 35 minutes as white circles swarmed around at ground level looking for me. At one point a plane tried to crash into me, but missed and blew himself up.

I did that too! But it was a helicopter from Lester that self destructed after 12 hours and I was making my escape to the boat. Some guy followed with the stunt plane and waited for me to surface!

Really?! Even if they don't show up on the social club site? I hope that's the case then!

Yup, that's also happened in my experience.

And of course always make sure to quit the game by going to single player first because GTAO for whatever reason seemingly breaks for that character if you quit the game, even if the cloud save thing worked and finished.

EDIT: And yeah, I did that with my secondary "joke" character quit the game while in LS Customs to get the free insurance and tracker that Simeon gives you for your first car. When I came back to the character I wasn't able to do any jobs with it and was basically broken.

Threw a grenade at a cop car wich proceeded to crash in to a vehicle that apparently was owned by someone.
Both explode and i get the "Bad Sport" message.

First off, how can i recognize if a car is owned by somene without trying to get in to it?

Secondly, Why is everyone trying to kill everyone?

I was trying to help out this guy by removing some of his police chasers, only to be mowed down in the end by him self as a thank you. Thats not gangster!

I've created a crew (SmokinWithTheBandits) and i'm looking for members that are willing to help eachother out in missions, when low on money or when chased by cops, or simply hang out in a apartement smoke a bong or two, or go cruisin on the road or sea.
United against the system!

XBOX 360 handle : dj Ren78

Hope to grind some money for fancy apartment this Wednesday. The Tinsel Tower one seems convenient in the middle of Los Santos. And need to make an mission car some huge ass pimped out SUV all armored up to wreck the town with.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I'm making a new guy to go around free mode and take people out. I won't be doing many missions or try to build his wealth until the servers run smoothly.

My 4th guy. I'm already trying to choose what first car I will take to the garage.

Oh and another thing I learned tonight that's incredibly cheap.

In a semi you can shoot behind you at impossible angles and not get hit at all by those you're shooting at since there's no back window to shoot through. I know what my second vehicle will be if I can mod one.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So I just got spawn killed so I took the guy's car, killed him, then drove it into the ocean. I then got labeled as bad sport for the next 2 days. I now have an unchangeable dunce cap on...

I understand getting it for quitting games(which I never do) but for blowing someone's car? It just doesn't make sense.

I really hate that system. Idk if I even want to play this game for the next couple days...

Actually I quite like it as a system, I like griefing-esque behaviour to be punished with a childish and embarrassing punishment.

I'm not saying you're a troll and it sounds to me that spawnkilling (and garage camping) should also be added to the bad sport column too, but if someone is going around destroying cars then fuck them. Yes I know it's GTA, but some people are utter dicks in this game. At the end of the day, lots of us are playing and trying to get stuff done, if it was a total lawless wild west of wankery it would be unbearable.

I have to read a novel, write a paper and make a presentation within the next 9 hours (then go to 6 hours of class) but I must log on for an hour or two

Top Bottom