• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

erawsd

This is my biggest problem with (console) multiplayer games; waiting in lobbies, waiting for all the votes etc. Future games/consoles really have to improve on this. They should patch it and take 30 seconds off the countdown timer too.

Although I think atm the slow lobbies/voting have also got to do with connection issues. Sometimes the voting screen doesn't even show up until 10 seconds later for me.

Yeah, I wish it would be more like an MMO where you're free to continue doing what you want while the matchmaking happens in the background.

pringles

The matchmaking system for this just take you away of the immersion all the time. I don't understand why they designed everything in the game around this. This is GTA, not CoD or something where sitting in a lobby to find a match is fine. I don't want to go over to a mission, get thrown out of the game, and wait for 10 minutes for a match to fill up.
Is noone really having any issue with this? Well I've seen a few people do, but are the majority of people actually finding this design fun in an open world game?
I understand what you're saying and I agree to some extent. I'm not sure I can think of a different system that would work much better though.
Imo there just needs to be a few more objectives/missions to do in free-roam, things such as fetching the cars for simeon. It would mean you don't have to always go do jobs to level up and earn cash at a decent pace.

So I've avoided the Online part of the game since the launch to avoid any undue heartbreak. Is it safe to try it out now, or are there still problems?

Tawpgun

2 questions for higher level people.

1. Do you ever unlock a personal plane/chopper/boat? I'm assuming it happens down the line with the hardware unlock thing.

2. Do the missions pay scale correctly? You have shit like Violent Duct and other drug busts that pay handsomely, and are super easy and fast to complete. Then you have some of Simeons car shit that take a while to complete and the pay is shit. Then you have these CRAZY fucking random missions, like Lesters "blow up LSPD shit" That are pretty difficult and only give you 2 grand. Wtf! I feel like I'm not getting rewarded for my work. Stealing a car and selling to to the mod shops is probably the best way of getting money. You just can't repeat it more than once a game day

Still people losing characters but hasn't happened to me touch wood. So a hesitant maybe lol

That's what I like to see, definitive answers! Only kidding, thanks mate.

Think I'll try and play some tonight - from the sounds of it it seems best to just run with some friends.

So, finally got into Violent Ducts got an invite text and got in, for some reason the person apparently wanted RP so he had it on hard... It didn't go all that well. Did it a couple times and then instead of continuing it went to voting and I left, leaving I get kicked immediately from whatever free roam I was coming into, go back to the single player and get back online. Called Gerald and he finally gave me it as a mission. Wish I got it earlier because it's too damn late and I'm too damn tired to grind it out much, still I did it for a couple hours though and it wasn't all that fast (I need to learn how to speed it up) but I went up a few levels and made 80K profit after buying weapons/ammo and other stuff. Finally got a sniper rifle and was suicide myself into near the coke holder, messed it up a few times, one time after I re-spawned he ran out by me which made the mission last about a minute. I learned that with the sniper rifle you can shoot over the barricade and they can't hit you, the lighting behind my character showed that while standing against it the weapon is still up but I could still shoot as normal, made things a bit easier.

Decided to stop after hitting 22, come back and I quickly bank what I needed to still bank (I did it a few times during the mission grind) and thankfully got it off just before some asshat ran up and killed me. He got to taste my new sniper rifle afterwards. After getting that out of the way I do the quick change back to SP and YAY! My game freezes while switching from online to offline. Doesn't look like it affected anything though, I just checked the Social Club and my character is properly updated.

What with the kicking players from the lobby, it's bullshit. I had two douche bags just following me around abusing me over the mic and trying to kill me just before. But because I kept killing them before they could get me they kicked me from the match. Which is crap.
Yeah, plenty of mic d-bags, glad my headset has a volume control for it, I also think I have my settings set to only hear Crew and Friends.

Speaking of crews and friends, Rockstar needs to treat people you go into a mission with as parties, it's annoying that you can't get into someone's car if they have their locks set to not allow random people into it even as a passenger. That's caused a fair share of headaches.

EDIT: I see how that 30 second pass thing works now.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
In DM I thought you only showed up on Radar when making noise or firing a weapon?

...and at the start of matches or if you're running. I'm not sure but think you can change this in the settings. It might also depend on if you play AA or FA. Played a FA DM yesterday and the radar worked as you said. I hadn't altered any settings. I also remember playing a LTS where everyone was on radar at all times. Must investigate...

w2000

So I got started on a character in slot 2 yesterday since I figure that maybe the character in slot 1 will come back. I had originally did a temp character, but quit through the menu and stopped playing GTAV for a couple of hours. I went back on and started the character. That character stuck, but on the social club it shows a portrait of the temp character instead of the one that saved. My character that I created is a male, but the temp one was female lol.

4m8NARV.jpg

Cc23830

My personal favourite is replaying the first 3 missions, 1 race, 1 drug deal and 1 death match every evening. Cheers Rockstar

red731

Anyone willing to get invited to closed session in like one and half hours? PS3 gaf street

My personal favourite is replaying the first 3 missions, 1 race, 1 drug deal and 1 death match every evening. Cheers Rockstar

I was like" :) good on you", but then I was like "
KuGsj.gif
I am sorry for you." - after I got it.

Alienous

Have they really not returned the characters yet, or given a definitive statement that they are gone?

Ugh, well, the waiting continues.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
The matchmaking system for this just take you away of the immersion all the time. I don't understand why they designed everything in the game around this. This is GTA, not CoD or something where sitting in a lobby to find a match is fine. I don't want to go over to a mission, get thrown out of the game, and wait for 10 minutes for a match to fill up.
Is noone really having any issue with this? Well I've seen a few people do, but are the majority of people actually finding this design fun in an open world game?

I understand what you're saying and I agree to some extent. I'm not sure I can think of a different system that would work much better though.

An idea that would be better suited is that you continue your free roaming play and when you accept a little text box appears in the top left with say 2/16 or 3/8 telling you how many have accepted (or a list of players) and only the host is actually sitting in a lobby screen. When either the timer has expired/room is full/host chooses to continue as is then all players who accepted are put into the lobby screen and you go from there. Wouldn't break up the game as much.

Gaz_RB

you mean like... it should be fine that people quit on anything that goes wrong for them?

He's mainly talking about how killing and spawn killing mercilessly is fine, but blowing up someone's personal vehicle rewards you with an unchangeable dunce hat and takes away the ability to play with your friends for two days.

I'm level 38 and am still a good sport. Just don't be an idiot and sticky bomb everyone. I only use them when I absolutely know they're not in their vehicle.
No sympathy here.

Alienous

He's mainly talking about how killing and spawn killing mercilessly is fine, but blowing up someone's personal vehicle rewards you with an unchangeable dunce hat and takes away the ability to play with your friends for two days.

No need.

Shoot the tires and make the bastard leak gas. (though, admittedly, I haven't been able to try that latter out online, yet, but in theory it should work).

He wouldn't get very far, and you can give him a swift blow to the back of his head with a baseball bat when his car stops working.

I have an issue with this as well, but the connection issues have overshadowed it.

What doesn't make sense is having these "mission spawn points" all over the map, the big blue circles you can walk into to launch a game from that area, but all of them just pull you out of the open world and then drop you into an isolated game. I think that this is the technical limitation here... And thankfully, they've made it much easier to just launch this from a menu (Online -> Jobs -> Create/Host -> pick locale/match)... because it would have been a real pain to have to drive to some remote location to launch a specific battle.

But, given the format of the game... as a sort of fake MMO, I think it's their only way to get around the 16-player limit and still make it feel like a connected world.

Ensirius

Spending far too much time waiting on lobbies and loading screens is putting me off online... it's ridiculous. If I'm sitting in front of my tv for an hour I'm actually going to get like 20 minutes of actual game play.

Gaz_RB

I'm level 38 and am still a good sport. Just don't be an idiot and sticky bomb everyone. I only use them when I absolutely know they're not in their vehicle.
No sympathy here.

Now that I understand the system, I won't do it. But it just seems like such an odd thing to label a player as a bad sport for, when there are far worse things a player can do that won't net them any bad sport points. It's obviously not to stop players from cheaply using explosives, because you can blow them up in any other car. And the penalty for death is far more than the penalty for getting a new car

But the fact that you can't invite friends to a private game because you're a bad sport is just taking away features of the game that I paid 60 dollars for.

The online is fundamentally broken. Why the fuck did they put crews in the game if you can't ever join them in-game? WHY THE FUCK does rockstar not fucking fix this error "failed to find compatible session". Do they truly not give a damn? I'm done.

Seriously, nobody has an answer as to why I can never join my crew games. Why? Because it doesnt fucking work.

Alienous

Now that I understand the system, I won't do it. But it just seems like such an odd thing to label a player as a bad sport for, when there are far worse things a player can do that won't net them any bad sport points. It's obviously not to stop players from cheaply using explosives, because you can blow them up in any other car. And the penalty for death is far more than the penalty for getting a new car

But the fact that you can't invite friends to a private game because you're a bad sport is just taking away features of the game that I paid 60 dollars for.

You do inconvenience a player by blowing up their personal vehicle. That's certainly part of the game, for them.

I will agree that the punishment is a little bit extreme.

I'm sure tweaks will come, but generally you can get away with quite a bit.

The online is fundamentally broken. Why the fuck did they put crews in the game if you can't ever join them in-game? WHY THE FUCK does rockstar not fucking fix this error "failed to find compatible session". Do they truly not give a damn? I'm done.

Seriously, nobody has an answer as to why I can never join my crew games. Why? Because it doesnt fucking work.

Sessions are full already?

Spazznid

Just pop their tires, completely, and then ram the front of their car till the axle bends inwards. Makes it a nightmare to drive, so start a gun fight with them, and then run, so they have to outrun the police in thiere pos car.

On a related note, I decided to get some vengance on a guy who was spamming the mic. He'd received a bounty status, and taken refuge on top of a building. I went there with Passive mode on, and he felt safe, so he tried to hit me with a bat, and shoot me. He even tried a car, but I was smart and stood behind a rail. Then, when he'd given up and was walking away, I disabled Passive Mode, and after a 10 second countdown, I pulled out my SMG and shot him from behind. Fuck the system. Then he got mad, and I killed him about 5 times each time he would come after me, but for some reason people in this game generally don't know how to play well.

harrytang

not taking away from the problems of online, but Ive had a lot of trouble joining games in the past in COD and Halo due to my NAT being MODERATE or STRICT and not OPEN. I'm only taking about xbox. I had to go into my router and set ports and profiles and other BS using FIOS. just throwing out ideas.

daffy

Banned

I get in crew games more often than not. But it seems like the higher their rank the harder it gets to join games in my experience.

Now that I understand the system, I won't do it. But it just seems like such an odd thing to label a player as a bad sport for, when there are far worse things a player can do that won't net them any bad sport points. It's obviously not to stop players from cheaply using explosives, because you can blow them up in any other car. And the penalty for death is far more than the penalty for getting a new car.
When you get kicked out of a game you get the bad sport warning as well. It doesn't make sense when jerks are just kicking indiscriminately.

How is Rockstar going to address gamers leaving sessions to avoid being killed if they have bounties on their head? In the span of a half hour I have had four people leave after a bounty was placed on them. I think the best way to avoid that is to provide more incentive to stay in one session. What are some ideas we can come up with, to email to Rockstar, that will make that happen? I can think of one: implement a party system, and if you seitch sessions your whole party has to too. Can't believe a party system doesn't exist.

Make them pay their own bounty?

Not a good solution, could be really abused just to grief people. For instance, if you have $500,000 because you've been grinding on a high paying mission,a nd I have $40,000, it'd really suck to just put $8000 bounties on my head.

Possible solutions:
- Bounty lasts for a specific amount of time, let's say, 10 minutes. If the person with the bounty on their head can survive for 10 minutes in the server, the bounty clears and they get the reward
- If they die, whoever kills them collects the bounty
- If they leave the server, the person who put the bounty on their head gets their money back

Arguably, the bounties are placed because some guy was griefing you. If he leaves the server, you've done your job to get him to leave you alone. But if you're just going around putting bounties on random people, then you deserve a dunce cap.

taylor910

How are people feeling about losing 5% of income when someone else kills you in freeroam?

Personally I think its bs, and I have seen people mention the killer should be the one that pays the medical bill. I really liked this idea.

Similar to blowing up someones car, the offender pays correct?

This way if people want to waste their money going around being assholes, they have to pay the price.

I only had one instance where a bounty was put on me and I didn't find a decent hiding spot quick enough so I was only able to kill 2 people before a third gunned me down.

As to the bad sport system it needs a lot of work. Out of the 10 tennis matches I've attempted to play, only ONE person has finished the whole thing with me. I don't mean to brag but I'm pretty decent at tennis. So when I've won 3 games in a row the fuckers tend to quit on me.

Does Tennis even up your stamina online? Seems to me like they should make shit like tennis or golf raise your stamina/'health bar faster as to give an incentive for players to play it.

It really seems like they're intentionally making it harder for you to play with friends.

No party system raises the first WTF flag, then after missions you don't always return to the same room as your friends, and then of course you have the connection issues which will hopefully be worked out soon.

todahawk

Its hard as hell to fill some missions. I wish they gave you some ai to help or something.

Jesus, I know!
I sat with a friend in a lobby for 5 minutes because we really wanted to try the vehicular deathmatch with tanks but no one would joint. Tried everyone in session, the whole GAF crew, friends list, skill match, everything. NADA.

Does anyone know if you get wasted by a player if you still have to pay the medical fee? I finished a survival match and got killed a few times by a camper before I chased his ass off and noticed I was short $10k. I had zero cash on me, all was in the bank. I was killed by cops at least once because as I defended myself I must have nicked a squad car and had cops all over me.

Top Bottom