• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

is there something wrong with french people on GTAO? twice i've been on a server with very loudly talking french speaking people, and when i've used the auto invite when atempting to do a mission, i've been kicked from the server by the other players......for inviting them to actually play the game! I'd understand if the text message popup filled the screen but its not intrusive

i jsut cannot understand why people would kick you for inviting them on missions....kind of getting sick of the game due to all the idiots who just ramapge the map and the constant bugs

...and auto invite and play is neither quick nor well implemented.

Just match me up with people playing missions!

Fuck, online is ridiculously frustrating at present.

The marina? Ah cool, I was looking at the airport where usually two spawn.

It's from that helipad / tour base thing that Michael can buy in single player. Seems like there's 3 choppers there every time I visit, though usually one is taking off (as a "Los Santos Tour" thing).

taylor910

^ Both of these.

I emailed the GTA Online email address requesting that this be tuned down. Losing 5% of your income is way too significant for a death in free roam... the penalty is way too high, especially because mission payouts are generally pretty low.

5% of your overall cash encourages you to not explore the world, not test the limits of the game, and to actively avoid every player in the game. It should be 5% of your cash on hand with a minimum of $100, not your overall cash. So, let's say you're carrying $2,000 and someone kills you, it should cost $100 for medical bills only taken out of your cash on hand... And if you have $0 cash on hand, then you don't pay out... Think of it like Medicare :D

But, 5% of your overall cash means that every worthless death (like getting griefed) just potentially undid an hour of missions in the game... If you get $2,000 as a reward for doing a PvE mission and you die ONCE in free roam, well that whole mission is now meaningless.

This happened to me yesterday. I did a Simeon or Gerald mission and as soon as I came back to the free world, a guy took a car and drove into me the second I spawned. And then backed up and hit me again, causing me to die. I have about $40,000 in the bank, and so that mission I did was undone in about 1 second and I couldn't have done anything about it.

If it's 5% of your cash on hand, it would not make the death penalty so steep.

I don't think they'll tune it though. And that's a shame.

Been thinking about options,

What do you all think about no penalty (or very small) for getting killed in freeroam, however if you enter into a 1v1 duel, that is where you can lose the 5% or whatever the larger penalty would be.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'd really like to enjoy some of these missions and matches, but god damn, when all you have is a pistol on some of them you get totally and royally fucked by anyone with something automatic, to the point I just became cannon fodder for that whole crooked cops level.

Acorn

...and auto invite and play is neither quick nor well implemented.

Just match me up with people playing missions!

Fuck, online is ridiculously frustrating at present.
Are you on 360 cause missions are all I want to do but it's hell getting people to do them.

And to top it all off, I was just kicked from a session.

Wasn't doing anything to other players, just cruising and escaping from the police on my own.

That's frowned upon apparently.

Been thinking about options,

What do you all think about no penalty (or very small) for getting killed in freeroam, however if you enter into a 1v1 duel, that is where you can lose the 5% or whatever the larger penalty would be.

Yeah, I think that'd be a fine idea... as long as the free roam death penalty is reduced. 5% of your overall money is way too high. It's too much of a disincentive to explore or do anything. I went to parachute off of Mt. Chiliad and accidentally fell to my death, whcih was hilarious, and then when I spawned I spawned on the side of a cliff and -- again -- fell to my death... similarly hilarious. But then I realized.. "Oh shit, I just lost an hour of mission gameplay in 30 seconds."

Have you lost your character yet? You seem to have been super fortunate so far. I tried to get on last night and everything was gone; 3rd time for me.

Nope. I logged on once and he was gone. But I just waited and logged on at a later time and everything was back. *knock on wood*

Radec

Restarted my character and the introduction is beyond awful. 90% popins.

Edit: and now it froze on me while the music is still playing. Fucking gtav:eek:

Arcteryx

Somehow I keep getting dupes of one of my cars(Felon GT - $10750 resale) in my garage. Woke up today to a garage with 7 copies...wtf

meep!

Neo Member
I have an issue with this as well, but the connection issues have overshadowed it.

What doesn't make sense is having these "mission spawn points" all over the map, the big blue circles you can walk into to launch a game from that area, but all of them just pull you out of the open world and then drop you into an isolated game. I think that this is the technical limitation here... And thankfully, they've made it much easier to just launch this from a menu (Online -> Jobs -> Create/Host -> pick locale/match)... because it would have been a real pain to have to drive to some remote location to launch a specific battle.

But, given the format of the game... as a sort of fake MMO, I think it's their only way to get around the 16-player limit and still make it feel like a connected world.

Even if it is a technical limitation on current gen platforms I think matchmaking could be much more streamlined. And while I understand certain missions also would work better instanced with a few amount of players it all could be handled more in the background as some people already just mentioned. Queuing up for missions should just be a little window, where you still can run around in free roam doing whatever you want while it gather players.
I think they should remove the ability for someone being a host, and let players vote on settings for the match upon entering it. It should work similar to how a dungeon finder works in many MMOs, there is noone being a host there and if you want to play with certain players you party up prior to queuing up for it.

In regards to the actual open world, as I have mentioned before I feel it's really lacking in terms of content. There is so much things that could be added to free roam that would make it far more interesting than just a lobby for matches. A few things on top of my head

-First of all, random missions similar to those found in SP. People looking for a ride, people robbing other NPCs you can hunt down and so on. It could be expanded upon, adding stuff like seeing NPC criminals robbing a bank you could stop where you have the option of either helping the police catching the crimials and their loot or take it yourself.

-More small activities or jobs you can undertake in the open world, even legal ones. For example doing things similar to what Trevor is doing in a mission in SP down at the harbor, stuff like moving cargo and so on. Why not being able to undertake a cleaning job, the animation is already there (lol). Taking on jobs to move cargo like the cars around the lumbermill areas moving trees. Perhaps help the firedepartment putting out fires. Just small things like this to do to add some variation for anyone who want to do it

-To further expand upon random events happening. You could have a certain player in on the server getting a call or text to assasinate a certain player(s). They would be notified someone is out for them, but perhaps don't know who.
Another thing could be some securityvan driving to drop off money somewhere which would be notified to all players who then would rush to get it ending up in some pretty fun shootouts and chaos.

-Why not being able to help the police catching other players? Take on missions for the police to catch people with stars, the more stars they have the better reward. And add an extra reward for capturing them alive with a stungun or something.

There is so much that they could do with the open world, but it seems like they have put all their focus on what I see as minigames that take you out of everything, It's fine to have stuff like that but I don't think it should be the main game when GTA always have been an open world sandbox game.

Just my ideas of how I kinda imagine a GTA Online game.

breakfuss

So, what's the word? Seems today's update already went out. I'm assuming that if my character hasn't returned by now, he's gone for good? Damn.

So, what's the word? Seems today's update already went out. I'm assuming that if my character hasn't returned by now, he's gone for good? Damn.

Another update?

I haven't booted up my PS3 today but the Rockstar Support page doesn't mention an update going out. Last information update on the Loss of Characters/Items/Stats was:

Updated 10/6/13: We are continuing to investigate the causes of the lost progress and what can be done to minimize the impact until a permanent fix is in place. Also, we have not forgotten about the requests for restoration. We are in the process of determining the options for addressing the issues for those players who have been affected. Please stay tuned for further updates here

breakfuss

Another update?

I haven't booted up my PS3 today but the Rockstar Support page doesn't mention an update going out. Last information update on the Loss of Characters/Items/Stats was:

Just checked on my PS3. No update here and I haven't heard any news on a new one.

What update? No TU on xbox although i think they're trying to prep one to fix the cloud server problem.

Sorry, guys, I assumed the latest post on their support site was from today. Published on the 5th. Again, sorry for the misinformation.

Are you on 360 cause missions are all I want to do but it's hell getting people to do them.

I'm on PS3.

Just stopped playing for today, finding the whole implementation of this online mode to be nothing short of insanely frustrating right now.

Get thrust into sparsely populated rooms, every time I decide to do a random mission/deathmatch/whatever I'm stuck in a lobby by myself.

The matchmaking system is HORRIFIC. Players should be matched by what they want to do rather than receiving numerous phone alerts from random players - which leads to a lot of rejections and waiting rather than a lobby filling up.

Most of the missions so far (that I've been able to play) are too simplistic and consist of rushing to point B, collecting a vehicle/item and rushing back again - very little reason to even join in with others due to this design.

When I have got into a co-op mission, often the player in my server (who I had to wait ages to join) ignores the objective, presumably because each player gets given the same cut of the pay regardless of their actions.

Urgh, I don't even think it's server issues at this point. Such a shame considering how fantastic the SP is.

Lucky; social club is showing my competitve stats but not cash earned however my "bank" money is showing up. Makes no sense...

That's a good sign that all your shit is still there. The server it is on just may be down or they are moving it to another server.

This "cloud powered" future is looking awesome isn't it??????

.hacked

Is there a way to mute while in a match? Tired of hearing these people.

I would like to know this as well. Just got online on the ps3 version and was greeted with the sounds of muffled stereo music, people yelling at their kids and I think a man masterbating.

Can I mute everyone on ps3?

RotBot

I would like to know this as well. Just got online on the ps3 version and was greeted with the sounds of muffled stereo music, people yelling at their kids and I think a man masterbating.

Hold Select, change Chat from Everyone to anything else.

metzger203

i jsut cannot understand why people would kick you for inviting them on missions...
I think this may just be a glitch or connection issue. Tried playing with a buddy of mine yesterday and he kept getting "kicked by other players" even though he had literally just gotten in the game and had no interaction with them whatsoever...

My personal favourite is replaying the first 3 missions, 1 race, 1 drug deal and 1 death match every evening. Cheers Rockstar
Done this 3 or 4 times now. Making a new character wouldn't be so annoying if you could just jump into the game without the extended intro / tutorial thing. Makes me think of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. At least give me the option to skip it.

disappointed how quickly pistol is outclassed online.
Basically yeah you have to find an automatic. That Desert Eagle from the collector's edition is deadly too. Kept trying to kill this guy that had one and I couldn't even get close; he would just snipe me with it before I could even see him.

First of all, random missions similar to those found in SP. People looking for a ride, people robbing other NPCs you can hunt down and so on. It could be expanded upon, adding stuff like seeing NPC criminals robbing a bank you could stop where you have the option of either helping the police catching the crimials and their loot or take it yourself.
This would be great.

jacobs34

I can't believe they'd reset everyone's character, especially those who have invested real money into theirs. That would take some balls.

Bring up the interaction menu by holding the back/select button. From there you can scroll down to chat options and set it to whatever you want. Everyone, friends, friends+crew, or mute all.

Top Bottom