• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Why the hell do people not want tov play missions? Jesus

I've been hesitant to accept missions from people I don't recognize--had a few instances of getting a random invite and then having the host close the lobby. We all spawned in the same spot and he killed everyone he'd invited in free roam right after we loaded in.

Marleyman

Banned
I can just see it now; the lucky ones will be insanely overpowered with sticky bombs, etc, dope rides, guns and the people who have been screwed over numerous times will finally get in to only be fodder for the higher level folks. What a mess.

MaxiLive

Same problem! Tried to play 3-4 different times now and end up in sessions with 3-4 people and I can never get anyone to join in on missions so it is soooooooooooooooo boring :p

I'm guessing everyone either wants to grief or just grind the high exp/cash reward missions?

I've been hesitant to accept missions from people I don't recognize--had a few instances of getting a random invite and then having the host close the lobby. We all spawned in the same spot and he killed everyone he'd invited in free roam right after we loaded in.
yea, the percentage of ass hats playing this game online far out weighs the percentage of good players.
and god, listening to people on their headsets... stfu. the world (real world) is really going to shit..........

Ryhian

mine too. shows stats for racing and dm. my bank money is there. i hope my character comes back.

Mine shows my competitive stats, cash earned, and my bank balance. My character still isnt showing up. Really hope my character appears soon.

xJavonta

Banned
Rockstar shouldn't have said shit about the online and just released it after the game came out instead so people wouldn't bitch and moan at them for it being broken. That way you wouldn't have to hear the numerous "I didn't pay for a beta" and "fuck this I'm trading it in" comments over and over again.

I mean I get it's frustrating but fuck, reiterating the same thing won't fix it. Just wait until they get their shit together

Alienous

I can just see it now; the lucky ones will be insanely overpowered with sticky bombs, etc, dope rides, guns and the people who have been screwed over numerous times will finally get in to only be fodder for the higher level folks. What a mess.

Exactly.

Part of the appeal of playing week one is growing with other players. Being the first guy on your friends list to get an apartment, or seeing someone with a assault rifle. Pimping out your car before others do.

Which is why, if Rockstar can't restore the lost characters, they should at least upgrade players to their previous rank, or a rank (such as 20) that will boost some players, and reduce the rank of others.

That said, it won't bring back world records, and all of those stats from your competitive matches. My matches, kill ratios, accuracy percentages would all be lost to the ether. That alone is enough for me to skip GTA Online, and wait for whatever iteration comes with GTA VI.

Rockstar shouldn't have said shit about the online and just released it after the game came out instead so people wouldn't bitch and moan at them for it being broken. That way you wouldn't have to hear the numerous "I didn't pay for a beta" and "fuck this I'm trading it in" comments over and over again.

I mean I get it's frustrating but fuck, reiterating the same thing won't fix it. Just wait until they get their shit together

Well yeah, if Rockstar didn't try to sell GTA V on the premise of it coming with a working GTA Online, I wouldn't have a problem. Heck, if they said that GTA V came with a GTA Online Beta, and eventually GTA Online itself, I wouldn't have any complaints. But the bitching and moaning is justified. Perhaps you aren't looking at this from the perspective of someone who has lost a character, and is now behind their friends, or have friends behind them. Had their stats wiped away, and progression entirely stopped by the lack of a definitive statement from Rockstar?

Reule

I don't think I've ever seen my actual character on the Social Club, I mean like an avatar of him. All I see is a black silhouette, hope that's not a problem. Level and other stats are all still there...for now.

I got your back yo, nobody messing with pittsburgh players. i'll bring the sticky bombs.

Acorn

Argh, bloody twats ruining it for everyone :(

Taker34

Banned

And accepting a broken multiplayer after almost a week won't help us either. We have every right to complain after paying an x amount of money and waiting for 3 weeks straight to play the multiplayer part which Rockstar promised us a long time ago.

dreamfall

As far as Base Invaders being a quick 25K, I'm calling bullshit on that video. Even on easy, the pattern that the guy must've ran in didn't trigger half the enemies we encountered when attempting it. Destroying the Lazers is never the problem. It's getting Cargobob- there are so many guys with LMGs defending it.

So at the end of playing last night, was was LVL 7, with about $12,000 in cash.
This morning when i check the social club, my online character was listed with the correct LVL & cash
I have not played at all today...
I check the social club at lunch, and my online character still has the correct LVL, but all my cash is gone...

Will it come back?

Gorillaz

For you guys losing data on characters how do you leave MP?

Do you dashboard or go through xmb? Cause your character doesn't auto save. Usually I switch over to SP from the character wheel so thati get the message of my stuff being saved.

Idk if that would help yall.

Marleyman

Banned

Do you dashboard or go through xmb? Cause your character doesn't auto save. Usually I switch over to SP from the character wheel so thati get the message of my stuff being saved.

Idk if thst wkuld help yall.

I always exit through SP.

Taker34

Banned

It does, becuz R* said so.

When exiting GTA Online, please pause the game and choose to return to Single Player. This will trigger a save and ensure that progress since the last auto-save is recorded. If you purchase items and immediately power the console off or exit through console system menus, those items may not be saved.

Acorn

I'd love to. Unfortunately I'm unable to join missions because shit's still broken.

Same problem! Tried to play 3-4 different times now and end up in sessions with 3-4 people and I can never get anyone to join in on missions so it is soooooooooooooooo boring :p

I'm guessing everyone either wants to grief or just grind the high exp/cash reward missions?
If you guys are on 360 add me (Ant26587), my mic is broken but I'll be getting a new one this week I need mission people lol yeah I'm disappointed how people seem to not like the missions when they are the best thing.

Marleyman

Banned
Exactly.

Part of the appeal of playing week one is growing with other players. Being the first guy on your friends list to get an apartment, or seeing someone with a assault rifle. Pimping out your car before others do.

Which is why, if Rockstar can't restore the lost characters, they should at least upgrade players to their previous rank, or a rank (such as 20) that will boost some players, and reduce the rank of others.

That said, it won't bring back world records, and all of those stats from your competitive matches. My matches, kill ratios, accuracy percentages would all be lost to the ether. That alone is enough for me to skip GTA Online, and wait for whatever iteration comes with GTA VI.

It is inevitably going to occur once this thing is smoothed out. The people, like myself, who don't have hours daily to dump into this world are going to be easy pickings for those that somehow haven't been affected, farm missions over and over and put in tons of work.

Alienous

I switched between SP and MP several times (to change aiming settings), so my character would have been saved several times.

When my character disappeared, I have signed out while online in the previous session, because I got stuck in a loading screen. Unlike a lot of players, my character remained on the Social Club page (albeit with a reduced rank) for a while after, until he finally disappeared.

So unless 'dash-boarding' has the risk of wiping your character, I doubt that's the issue.

My theory is to do with the patch Rockstar released at around the time characters started disappearing. It was meant to stop temporary characters from overwriting permanent ones. This is making me think the deleted characters, such as my own, were registered on Rockstar's servers as temporary characters (perhaps because of the servers constantly swapping between up and down), and the patch removed them in and effort to give people back the permanent characters that might have been replaced by temporary ones.

Anybody who lost their characters yesterday got them back today ? I lost mine yesterday night (GMT so I don't know for you America or Asia folks) and I still haven't got it back.
I hope I will though, don't wanna start another character, I might just ditch GTA:O until an eventual PC version comes out if it's lost for good.

Forget a house, spend your first stash on gun and ammo.

As soon as I got the assault rifle, I was able to fight off people and a few helicopters that came to rob me or get a bounty. The guy in the copter never saw it coming. I killed the piloe right away and the other two guys bailed out to die.

Alienous

Forget a house, spend your first stash on gun and ammo.

As soon as I got the assault rifle, I was able to fight off people and a few helicopters that came to rob me or get a bounty. The guy in the copter never saw it coming. I killed the pilot right away and the other two guys bailed out to die.

Yep, that's the coolest thing I've heard all day.

Future

My experience has been pretty much identical.

I dropped 4 levels and about 30k between logins. Exited safely to the single-player before quitting to the cross-media bar. So who knows whats causing the loss of data?

So after working like a mad dog to recover my lost progress, next log-in and it had all gone! Great stuff.

For the ultimate troll, the thumbnail in the character wheel is wearing sunglasses, the ones I paid for. But when I switch to the character, he has no sunglasses nor the money I earned during that session. So maybe the game has a local cache that is correct, but the cloud server had an old version that overwrites it?

This has to be why they are afraid to turn on spending real money for rockstar dollars. No guarantee any money you make or things you buy will stick with you.

Even if it is a technical limitation on current gen platforms I think matchmaking could be much more streamlined. And while I understand certain missions also would work better instanced with a few amount of players it all could be handled more in the background as some people already just mentioned. Queuing up for missions should just be a little window, where you still can run around in free roam doing whatever you want while it gather players.
I think they should remove the ability for someone being a host, and let players vote on settings for the match upon entering it. It should work similar to how a dungeon finder works in many MMOs, there is noone being a host there and if you want to play with certain players you party up prior to queuing up for it.

In regards to the actual open world, as I have mentioned before I feel it's really lacking in terms of content. There is so much things that could be added to free roam that would make it far more interesting than just a lobby for matches. A few things on top of my head

-First of all, random missions similar to those found in SP. People looking for a ride, people robbing other NPCs you can hunt down and so on. It could be expanded upon, adding stuff like seeing NPC criminals robbing a bank you could stop where you have the option of either helping the police catching the crimials and their loot or take it yourself.

-More small activities or jobs you can undertake in the open world, even legal ones. For example doing things similar to what Trevor is doing in a mission in SP down at the harbor, stuff like moving cargo and so on. Why not being able to undertake a cleaning job, the animation is already there (lol). Taking on jobs to move cargo like the cars around the lumbermill areas moving trees. Perhaps help the firedepartment putting out fires. Just small things like this to do to add some variation for anyone who want to do it

-To further expand upon random events happening. You could have a certain player in on the server getting a call or text to assasinate a certain player(s). They would be notified someone is out for them, but perhaps don't know who.
Another thing could be some securityvan driving to drop off money somewhere which would be notified to all players who then would rush to get it ending up in some pretty fun shootouts and chaos.

-Why not being able to help the police catching other players? Take on missions for the police to catch people with stars, the more stars they have the better reward. And add an extra reward for capturing them alive with a stungun or something.

There is so much that they could do with the open world, but it seems like they have put all their focus on what I see as minigames that take you out of everything, It's fine to have stuff like that but I don't think it should be the main game when GTA always have been an open world sandbox game.

Just my ideas of how I kinda imagine a GTA Online game.

All very good ideas... and Agreed on the police thing. Kind of surprised there isn't a way to play as police, and you get an APB about another player in the world who just committed a crime, and you need to go out and catch him. Like a game-generated bounty on that player (wasn't that a part of RDR?), and while he's running from the cops you need to take him down in a cop car or police helicopter, etc.

You should email those to Rockstar. While I know they're not doing much but fixing the broken junk right now, they've said they're looking for feedback on gameplay modes and types. I sent in an email about tuning down the death penalty/cost in free roam.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
If you guys are on 360 add me (Ant26587), my mic is broken but I'll be getting a new one this week I need mission people lol yeah I'm disappointed how people seem to not like the missions when they are the best thing.

Always up for Coop, especially Free Aim. Gimmie a shout: Scheming Meat.

so can i create a character on slot 2 or that would definitely erase my lost character?

I wouldn't. Best to wait, buddy.

todahawk

Because they'd rather kill unsuspecting player and spawn camp. Hilarious that most times the second I return fire they run like bitches.
BTW, I'd add ya but I'm PS3

fucking twats are unbelievable.

yea, the percentage of ass hats playing this game online far out weighs the percentage of good players.
and god, listening to people on their headsets... stfu. the world (real world) is really going to shit..........
thank god someone explained how to switch chat to 'crew + friends only'. but i can't un-hear the punks and young kids squealing and trying to talk tough *shudders*.

Snow

Hey guys quick question about a persistent crashing bug I'm encountering, apologies if it has already been talked about in this thread, but a quick google search and reading some blog posts I couldn't find my exact problem.

When I host a game and it's waiting to invite or load in other players twice now the game seems to crash, where the visuals completely freeze but the music keeps playing. This is on a 360 (an elite, which is one of the older models). Not even the guide button responds: I can hear the sound but the menu doesn't actually pop up. Even shutting down the console with the power button is kind of weird, with it taking 10-15 seconds to actually shut off, where it usually only takes 2-3 secs. Is this is a known problem with the game?

Streaming in stuff has also been kind of weird, with most of the shots in the intro sequence of GTA Online initially starting out with the completely grey, low poly geometry, it then taking 3-5 secs for the low res textures to load in, and most of the time the high res texture barely loading in before the camera switches. Dunno if it is because it is slightly older 360, because the device is vertical (which usually doesn't matter since it has been years since I played a game straight from a disc rather than the HDD) or because it is one of the many issues with GTA Online.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
It's been working fine for me for a few days now, but somehow, every single time I join a game, I instantly get a $1000 bounty on my head, which forces me to run from other players and it's costing me lots of hospital bills. Even when I let it run out, when I join the next session, BAM; 'a bounty has been placed on your head.' Is this normal?

Marleyman

Banned
Streaming in stuff has also been kind of weird, with most of the shots in the intro sequence of GTA Online initially starting out with the completely grey, low poly geometry, it then taking 3-5 secs for the low res textures to load in, and most of the time the high res texture barely loading in before the camera switches. Dunno if it is because it is slightly older 360, because the device is vertical (which usually doesn't matter since it has been years since I played a game straight from a disc rather than the HDD) or because it is one of the many issues with GTA Online.

I have seen that damn sequence enough to know it isn't anything you are doing; it is GTA Online.

It's been working fine for me for a few days now, but somehow, every single time I join a game, I instantly get a $1000 bounty on my head, which forces me to run from other players and it's costing me lots of hospital bills. Even when I let it run out, when I join the next session, BAM; 'a bounty has been placed on your head.' Is this normal?
Bounty doesn't disappear until it's completed I believe.

Hmm, definitely abnormal. It should be completed once somebody kills you.

I don't really understand why texture/geometry loading would be affected by the server. It's all on the disc right?

I really only noticed a real problem on the first mission, that tour of los santos, everything loaded super slowly. Since then it's basically looked like the main game.

-- edit --

Question --

Is it possible to *sell* a property? So I have ~$50,000, but I really want to save up to buy an apartment. But that takes a lot longer if you play free roam because the death penalty is so high. If I buy a property, can I then sell it for the same value later on when I have, say, $50,000 more (hence a total of $50,000 in property and $50,000 in deposited cash)

Acorn

Always up for Coop, especially Free Aim. Gimmie a shout: Scheming Meat.

I wouldn't. Best to wait, buddy.
Added you mate, max payne avatar yeah?
Because they'd rather kill unsuspecting player and spawn camp. Hilarious that most times the second I return fire they run like bitches.
BTW, I'd add ya but I'm PS3

fucking twats are unbelievable.

thank god someone explained how to switch chat to 'crew + friends only'. but i can't un-hear the punks and young kids squealing and trying to talk tough *shudders*.
Its funny some dude today attacked me with an smg twice not thinking I had recent weapons. First time I sniped his head, second time I stickied his car, he left the session.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Exactly.

Well yeah, if Rockstar didn't try to sell GTA V on the premise of it coming with a working GTA Online, I wouldn't have a problem. Heck, if they said that GTA V came with a GTA Online Beta, and eventually GTA Online itself, I wouldn't have any complaints. But the bitching and moaning is justified. Perhaps you aren't looking at this from the perspective of someone who has lost a character, and is now behind their friends, or have friends behind them. Had their stats wiped away, and progression entirely stopped by the lack of a definitive statement from Rockstar?

Please let me play Devil's Advocate for a second: one week. If R* reset the player levels tomorrow, we'd have lost one week of play. For me, that represents about 12 hours, other likely more and likely less. BUT, this is in the face of a game that some of us might play for hundreds of hours.

Yes, the server issues they've been having have been terrible, and they've done a 'bad' job of fixing it this far (although from my POV it's been getting better), but it's a mere blip in the actual life cycle of the game. A week! That's almost nothing when you think the game will probably be popular for at least another year, and maybe well into the next gen if they re-release.

I think that we as always-on, slightly obsessive gamers need to take a deep breath, a step back and gain some perspective. Skipping a massive and very promising multiplayer game due to having to repeat 10-20 hours seems like such an overreaction to me.

Btw, are the servers up today? :p I fancy playing soon.

xJavonta

Banned
I've lost three characters with a decent amount of time out into them. Eventually I said fuck it, I'll just wait instead of investing so much into it and then complaining about it when the inevitable happens.

And accepting a broken multiplayer after almost a week won't help us either. We have every right to complain after paying an x amount of money and waiting for 3 weeks straight to play the multiplayer part which Rockstar promised us a long time ago.
How far has complaining about it gotten you? I did the same thing, they're working on it. I'm doing nothing but wasting my own time if I'm just bitching about it while they're trying to fix it

Top Bottom