• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Bounty doesn't disappear until it's completed I believe.
I know. I was playing on solo, somehow got a bounty placed on me. I obviously didn't get killed ( because solo), so it ran out and I got the money. I leave the game, join a new game today (random online) and instantly get the 'a bounty has been placed on your head' text again. I get a helicopter, let it run out, get the money, do some random stuff and leave. I go have dinner, come back, join another online game, and again I get a bounty on my head instantly. I get killed, I leave. Join another game, get another bounty on my head instantly. I left immediately.

That doesn't seem normal.

Nakazato

IW can do anything the want, But wont innovate cause they got complacent and know as long as it has COD on the box ppl will buy it.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
how are people affording apartments? I am level 10 with 60grand.

Knowing how to get money, selling certain cars every in-game day will net you 9k, replaying missions will get you a couple grand at a time, some go past 10k a time, then theres just generally playing with other people that makes you money.

todahawk

please tell me how to do this.
Hold down select to bring up the quick tool thingy in the upper left (the tool you use to set quick waypoints to Ammu-nation, ATM, etc.)

Scroll down and I think it's the second to the last option... for chat it's set to "everyone" by default. Hit left or right to scroll through your options.

There ya go!

Added you mate, max payne avatar yeah?

Its funny some dude today attacked me with an smg twice not thinking I had recent weapons. First time I sniped his head, second time I stickied his car, he left the session.
LOL, so ironic that the bastards can't take what they dish out.
I had one guy that was harassing our whole crew and he caught me by surprise with a melee attack... when I respawned he ran straight at me... I waited until the last second and put my sawed off shotty in his chest. he immediately quit.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It is inevitably going to occur once this thing is smoothed out. The people, like myself, who don't have hours daily to dump into this world are going to be easy pickings for those that somehow haven't been affected, farm missions over and over and put in tons of work.

I don't think you'd have a chance against those folks even if we all started at the exact same time. Farmers like those you fear are a breed apart, nothing normal gamers can do is going to match that effort, single minded dedication and masses of free time. So don't try to compete, just play your way. Racing and missions and such aren't affected by the PvP stuff, which to me is the least satisfying element of the game. Shooting at people is just not very fun online here. But everything else is brilliant.

Marleyman

Banned
I don't think you'd have a chance against those folks even if we all started at the exact same time. Farmers like those you fear are a breed apart, nothing normal gamers can do is going to match that effort, single minded dedication and masses of free time. So don't try to compete, just play your way. Racing and missions and such aren't affected by the PvP stuff, which to me is the least satisfying element of the game. Shooting at people is just not very fun online here. But everything else is brilliant.

Yeah, very true.

Mononoke

Banned

A lot of people are farming. At level 15 there is a mission called Violent Duct. It gives you $9,000. If you play with 2-3 people, you can beat it in 3 min. After its over, everyone LIKES the mission, then hits the R2 button (for PS3), and automatically restarts the missions over again. Rinse and repeat, you get $9k ever 3 min. Doing out the math, it's roughly $180k an hour. The best apartment in the game I believe, is $400k. So doing this for 2 and a half hours would get you the best apartment.

Taker34

Banned
How far has complaining about it gotten you? I did the same thing, they're working on it. I'm doing nothing but wasting my own time if I'm just bitching about it while they're trying to fix it

I'm not bitching, I'm trying to educate Rockstar about some bugs and glitches in their game. This is very helpful behaviour where I come from.

todahawk

There's an apartment with a two car garage for $80k somewhere... I just hit level 12 and lost some $ getting spawn camped but I'm just $5k short of being able to afford it.

Try to find someone to do Survival missions with, easy money & RP. They unlock at around 15 iirc.

BTW Everyone relax, R* announced connection issues have been resolved!!! /sarcasm
http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/6/4809270/gta-online-connection-issues-resolved-lost-items-still-being

Alienous

Please let me play Devil's Advocate for a second: one week. If R* reset the player levels tomorrow, we'd have lost one week of play. For me, that represents about 12 hours, other likely more and likely less. BUT, this is in the face of a game that some of us might play for hundreds of hours.

Yes, the server issues they've been having have been terrible, and they've done a 'bad' job of fixing it this far (although from my POV it's been getting better), but it's a mere blip in the actual life cycle of the game. A week! That's almost nothing when you think the game will probably be popular for at least another year, and maybe well into the next gen if they re-release.

I think that we as always-on, slightly obsessive gamers need to take a deep breath, a step back and gain some perspective. Skipping a massive and very promising multiplayer game due to having to repeat 10-20 hours seems like such an overreaction to me.

Btw, are the servers up today? :p I fancy playing soon.

Hmm, I disagree.

The time is one thing. The investment is something else entirely.

There is not a shortage of games, or even things to do outside of gaming. All it takes is for a game to give me an excuse not to play, and I'll stop.

Skipping a massive multiplayer game in lieu of playing something else that you can rely on isn't strange, I don't think.

xJavonta

Banned
I'm not bitching, I'm trying to educate Rockstar about some bugs and glitches in their game. This is very helpful behaviour where I come from.
True. Actual bug reports are helpful but "this is bullshit, lost my character after 40 hours wtf Rockstar fix this shit" (the stuff I see often) isn't

I'm not really sure what to buy now. I don't really need a bigger house with a bigger garage (I only have two). I bought I boat but I guess I don't have a place to put it and I can't buy a dock yet. I've maxed all the weapons I need too.

Marleyman

Banned
I'm not really sure what to buy now. I don't really need a bigger house with a bigger garage (I only have two). I bought I boat but I guess I don't have a place to put it and I can't buy a dock yet. I've maxed all the weapons I need too.

Damn, you are putting in work.

J4g3r

N4G/GeekGamerz GTA Online level stats to be reset tomorrow:

Whaaaaat? This better not be true.

7cmbk9V.gif

EDIT: Update
Fake. It seems the image is fake.
Over on the Rockstar support forums Rockstar have confirmed there is no plans to reset character data

BraXzy

I wonder what the community would be like right now if it had launched without a hitch. Everyone would be online having fun, ranking up, doing crazy stuff.. at the minute it just isn't that cool spark of fun I was hoping it to be. It doesn't help that when I manage to get online my buddies are usually stuck finding their character or something.

We need to start having GAF lobbies where we do crazy stuff like you see in the trailer. I want to have a 16 player dirt bike race off a cliff and then all skydive onto boats.

Mononoke

Banned
As someone that actually legitimately played up to level 20, then started farming, I would be pissed if they reset levels. I would just stop playing tbh.

BigDug13

I honestly can't wait to do this on PC and hopefully there will be the option of having the controller plugged in while also being able to use the mouse/keyboard. I would love to use mouse/keyboard for shooting and controller for driving/flying.

Marleyman

Banned
As someone that actually legitimately played up to level 20, then started farming, I would be pissed if they reset levels. I would just stop playing tbh.

What is the appeal to farming? You get to a certain point quicker than others but then what do you keep coming back for?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
7cmbk9V.gif

EDIT: Update
Fake. It seems the image is fake.
Over on the Rockstar support forums Rockstar have confirmed there is no plans to reset character data

Yep, no plans. It just happens a lot by accident :lol

Tell you one thing, I am very glad I didn't 100% the sp yet, gives me something to do while I refresh the servers every half hour.

Alienous

What is the appeal to farming? You get to a certain point quicker than others but then what do you keep coming back for?

I think it's more of a "it's possible" thing.

One person farms, then his friends want to farm to that level. Multiple people just accelerate through the intended experience. Generally it'll, in the long run, ruin the experience for yourself (to different degrees).

But to each their own.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I remember you being super pissy at launch when it wasn't working. And now look at you man, you turned into a
farmer
. I am disappoint :p

I think farmer is going to be my new favourite derogatory term. Fuckin farmers man

Marleyman

Banned
I think it's more of a "it's possible" thing.

One person farms, then he's friends want to farm to that level. Multiple people just accelerate through the intended experience. Generally it'll, in the long run, ruin the experience for yourself (to different degrees).

But to each their own.

This is why I just felt like I was cheating myself out of a long term experience when doing it with guys the other night. Everyone is different; I just wanted to understand the mindset behind it, especially if you are considering on playing this for the long haul.

Defyler

Wow Rockstar has really done a shit job. Lvl 18 character still hasn't appeared back. Don't think I'll ever day one purchase another Rockstar game.

This was clearly half baked and rushed.

Mononoke

Banned

There is no appeal. If you see my post yesterday, I said that I found it boring and wouldn't be doing it again. I had a couple friends that wanted to make cash quick, they invited me. Since I had been really struggling to get cash (I only had $50k at level 20, due to paying medical bills, the game not saving $30k I put into a car, so I ended up spending that again on it) - I decided to farm with them. I made $300k, and I got burnt out really quick on the process.

But I would definitely stop playing this game if they reset my levels. For those that are bothered by farmers and cash, who cares. Rockstar is going to let people buy cash with micro transactions. Now, those that got 30 + levels farming - I can understand. But the focus on cash is silly. Outside of the stock market, our cash really doesn't pool together, so who cares. You can buy the same apartment I can buy. It's not like only ONE person can buy it, and it's whoever arrives to the cash first.

Gorillaz

The only fun I have with farming is survival since I love wave based game modes. That and races.

I don't really blame people doing it but unless its a fun mission its not for me

Mononoke

Banned
I remember you being super pissy at launch when it wasn't working. And now look at you man, you turned into a
farmer
. I am disappoint :p

I think farmer is going to be my new favourite derogatory term. Fuckin farmers man

I don't feel bad, I only farmed for cash, and didn't get many levels. To me, levels is what is important, not the money. Rockstar is going to allow people to buy money. And yes, I was bitching at launch. I lost a total of 5 players, including one that was level 10. Then restarted at 6th time, and got to level 20 by myself (only farmed to level 25 + $300k) before I decided that I wouldn't do it again.

I would be really mad if my levels got reset. Yes indeed.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I think racing is by far my favorite activity

Easy way to make money and smoke fools.

Use your damn brakes people!
Yeah, just had some guy claim I hit him in the back on the last turn. He hit the brakes wayyyy too late and slid through the corner, lol.

Alienous

I don't feel bad, I only farmed for cash, and didn't get many levels. To me, levels is what is important, not the money. Rockstar is going to allow people to buy money. And yes, I was bitching at launch. I lost a total of 5 players, including one that was level 10. Then restarted at 6th time, and got to level 20 by myself (only farmed to level 25 + $300k) before I decided that I wouldn't do it again.

I would be really mad if my levels got reset. Yes indeed.

Stahp.

breakfuss

I think they should just shut it down until they resolve the problems. I probably won't be back until then. Don't see the point. Need to finish the campaign, anyway.

Mononoke

Banned

Why do you care so much? I already admitted that I found farming to be boring, and that I wouldn't be doing it again, because it was basically burning me out on playing the game.

So I did stop. But I guess I'm just curious why you are so upset about farmers. There are level 37 players that are making 1 million an hour, by farming at their level. And Rockstar is going to allow people to buy large amounts of cash.

The only thing I really see people being upset about (and rightfully so) - is getting RP for farming. Because levels mean you get access to better weapons, and better skills. And that will largely effect gameplay if they are playing against these levels. SO yeah, I do stand by my statement. Cash = who cares. RP = mob and pitchforks.

Top Bottom