• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Alienous

Why do you guys care so much? I already admitted that I found farming to be boring, and that I wouldn't be doing it again, because it was basically burning me out on playing the game.

So I did stop. But I guess I'm just curious why you guys are so upset about farmers. There are level 37 players that are making 1 million an hour, by farming at their level. And Rockstar is going to allow people to buy large amounts of cash.

The only thing I really see people being upset about (and rightfully so) - is getting RP for farming. Because levels mean you get access to better weapons, and better skills. And that will largely effect gameplay if they are playing against these levels.

I don't care. It's just people trying to justify it to themselves. If it didn't matter, you wouldn't be doing it.

The Shark Cash Cards are intended to accelerate the GTA Online experience, and you have done exactly that for yourself. It isn't a problem, but when people try so hard to justify it to themselves they know it wasn't the 'right way'.

So many people try to apply logic to it, when really it comes down to "I wanted to buy nicer shit, and I didn't want to work as hard to get it."

This is why I just felt like I was cheating myself out of a long term experience when doing it with guys the other night. Everyone is different; I just wanted to understand the mindset behind it, especially if you are considering on playing this for the long haul.

While I have the same feeling. It was hard to resist the other night while playing with a buddy.

Violent Duct. With only the two of us we had down to completing in 1:17. $9000 pretty much every minute and a half was hard to pass up. I turned my brain off for 30 minutes and got the money to buy the Vecca.

But yeah.....I'm not going to do that a lot. I don't want to get burnt out on this game anytime soon. (that maybe impossible for me personally. having such a good time playing SO MUCH shit to do).

RotBot

The military base seems to shoot more missles at you now when you steal a jet.

0_0.jpg

Favourite moment so far: Some guy repeatedly attempting to crush me with his Cargobob doesn't realise I have sticky bombs until I blow his sorry as out of the sky!

todahawk

While I have the same feeling. It was hard to resist the other night while playing with a buddy.

Violent Duct. With only the two of us we had down to completing in 1:17. $9000 pretty much every minute and a half was hard to pass up. I turned my brain off for 30 minutes and got the money to buy the Vecca.

But yeah.....I'm not going to do that a lot. I don't want to get burnt out on this game anytime soon. (that maybe impossible for me personally. having such a good time playing SO MUCH shit to do).

Hell yes, stripclubs just unlocked... I can't wait to get a bunch of PS3 GAF together in a club and tear up the place, bail and lead the cops on a cross country escape.

Has anyone else had a NPC put a bounty on them? I carjacked this dude and got threatening via in game texts and a $7k bounty right after. Joined a new session with my crew and a friend immediately killed me and then gave me half the bounty! He could've told me why but I still laughed!

jacobs34

Grinding the Teaser Trailer mission right now. Made about $60,000 so far.

Edit: And it just booted us out. Going back into Freemode until Violent Duct shows up again.

xBladeM6x

7cmbk9V.gif

EDIT: Update
Fake. It seems the image is fake.
Over on the Rockstar support forums Rockstar have confirmed there is no plans to reset character data

I'm actually half and half on this. I put in an unhealthy amount of time playing the game, and got to level 27. Seemingly lost my character now, but the stats and money are still there. Point being, if they did this, I would okay just because I could then roll with all my friends on the same playing field again, without them outranking me so much now that I feel like a tag-along. But at the same time it would be shitty for people who haven't had their characters deleted.

Evil Beaver

At around level 7 you get the option of tweaking your character in the character creator. I missed the chance to do this and I was wondering if you can change your character's appearance at any other time?

I can access my character but I can't play online, only solo.

There seems to be 2 different server chokepoints - the cloud servers for storing your character, and the matchmaking servers for bringing players together.

Unfortunately if the matchmaking server is down, you are prevented from doing missions even if you are in solo mode.

GQman2121

Banned
Are there any feel good stories about characters reappearing after vanishing? I want to play again, but not without my level 20 character.

Tawpgun

Going after bounties might be my favorite thing about free roam.

Wish more people had Mic's too.

Wish there were different options for free roam lobbies though. I'd love a no money lost on deaths one so you could truly just dick around.

breakfuss

Are there any feel good stories about characters reappearing after vanishing? I want to play again, but not without my level 20 character.

I wish R* would bring some clarity to this. Is my character coming back? I was under the impression it would when the "cloud" went back up. NOT the case.

So many people try to apply logic to it, when really it comes down to "I wanted to buy nicer shit, and I didn't want to work as hard to get it."

Personally, I haven't farmed any missions but it doesn't bother me that other people have.

It's not easier to farm. It's faster. One could just as easily play all the low level missions, races, DM modes, or whatever else that are much easier encounters than some of the encounters being farmed. It's just faster to farm the ones with a high cash payout. Farming highly rewarding encounters is apart of the RP genre and is especially highly used in the MMO field. It's not an exploit. It's not a moral wrong practice. It's a legitimate technique used by many players in many games. The game gives you repeats of the same missions anyways. The only thing Rockstar was trying to do with eliminating replays was slow the pace that missions could be repeated since that helps their bottom line (players playing longer + players resorting to buying in-game cash).

Kajiba

Wish there were different options for free roam lobbies though. I'd love a no money lost on deaths one so you could truly just dick around.

Having a bounty on you also fun. Higher the bounty on you, the more crazier it gets.

BraXzy

I stole an NPC's SUV to sell it to the Los Customs, it was the range rover lookalike. On my way, I got a text from an anonymous number telling me I was done for. I thought to myself oh shit what's this all about? Next thing I know I have a 7K bounty on my head and half of my server decides to hunt me down. There were two people in a car working together to try and take me out, one driving one shooting and another guy in a helicopter who took it upon himself to try and land on my car. I even passed a guy on a bicycle at one point but he was minding his own business, I hope he had a pleasant ride. Of course all of the gunfire brought the police's attention who decide they also have it in for me due to reckless speedy driving. After a lonnnggg chase I managed to find a spot worth holding up at, I quickly found a spot and waited for everyone to catch up and arrive. I saw the white dots nearby, maybe eight or nine, and then heard gunfire. Everyone was fighting each other to make sure they were the ones to claim my head. Before I knew it, all but one had died, I decided it would be a good idea to just keep running, maybe take out the guy thats left and continue the chase. So I come out of my hidy hole and get insta pwned by a cop with a shotgun that had been creeping over to me. Thanks Obama.

Mononoke

Banned
I don't care. It's just people trying to justify it to themselves. If it didn't matter, you wouldn't be doing it.

The Shark Cash Cards are intended to accelerate the GTA Online experience, and you have done exactly that for yourself. It isn't a problem, but when people try so hard to justify it to themselves they know it wasn't the 'right way'.

But I was pretty honest. I had a couple friends that invited me, I joined...saw what they were doing. And just did it. Wasn't a big deal to me. And I fully admitted that I thought it was boring as hell, and it actually burnt me out on the game. I made a post like 6 pages back, where I said I would need to take a week off from the game - because i did that farm session with my friends.

It was not fun. I agree 100% with those that criticize it. It's just stupid. It takes out the fun of the game, and for what? And for the record, I wasn't trying to justify why I did it. I was just trying to say why I don't really think it matters in the grand scheme of things (I was talking to those that are angry about farmers).

My post was being tied into another discussion about resetting levels.

Ding-Ding

My favorite thing, killing griefers. Now i'm back to where I was before my character was deleted, its pay back time to all the bastards who shot my tires out on my Sandking.

So funny watching them try to get into a position for a fast kill, only to succumb to sniper fire or a timed explosive. Especially when they are trying to shoot the tires of my king (bulletproof boys) only to get their head blown off.

Mononoke

Banned
So is anyone NOT going to buy the biggest apartment once they eventually reach the cash to do so? I mean, the big garage seems like the only perk. $400k is a lot of money to throw away, when it could literally get you buy for a month buying whatever you want (guns, car upgrades, clothes etc.). I dunno, seems like a waste to put it all in one basket.

Ploid 3.0

Personally, I haven't farmed any missions but it doesn't bother me that other people have.

It's not easier to farm. It's faster. One could just as easily play all the low level missions, races, DM modes, or whatever else that are much easier encounters than some of the encounters being farmed. It's just faster to farm the ones with a high cash payout. Farming highly rewarding encounters is apart of the RP genre and is especially highly used in the MMO field. It's not an exploit. It's not a moral wrong practice. It's a legitimate technique used by many players in many games. The game gives you repeats of the same missions anyways. The only thing Rockstar was trying to do with eliminating replays was slow the pace that missions could be repeated since that helps their bottom line (players playing longer + players resorting to buying in-game cash).

This.

I only recently had access to Violent Duct, but I only did it one time with a group. Before VD I farmed any other mission I had that gave me good enough money and Reputation Points. Being able to repeat makes things faster so my time isn't wasted setting the same mission up again, or getting stuck in the clouds. When I get bored I stop since I'm solo, I don't have to keep going for the group.

My first farm was robbing stores. I did it solo all the time. I noticed someone asking if anyone wanted to rob stores and I wondered how inefficient that must be. I doubt they get more money, but two people pointing guns and shooting bottles might speed up the clerk better than one. Also a guy at the door can be aimed at the clerk so the person grabbing the cash won't have to walk away with the gun pointed at the clerk.

Alienous

So is anyone NOT going to buy the biggest apartment once they eventually reach the cash to do so? I mean, the big garage seems like the only perk. $400k is a lot of money to throw away, when it could literally get you buy for a month buying whatever you want (guns, car upgrades, clothes etc.). I dunno, seems like a waste to put it all in one basket.

It's probably just a cash sinkhole for those who have an excess.

So, after you have all the essentials (weapons/cars) then you'd buy the most pimped out apartment you can afford.

Bollocks

So what's the best way to play the coop missions with a buddy?
If I just go for the mission icon, it gives me also missions against other human players.

Ding-Ding

I brought the 330k apartment as it had a better view and still enough left over to arm myself to the teeth. Once you have the apartment, money isnt really a concern anymore.

Mononoke

Banned
It's probably just a cash sinkhole for those who have an excess.

So, after you have all the essentials (weapons/cars) then you'd buy the most pimped out apartment you can afford.

Yeah, that makes sense. It almost would make more sense to just spend that money on a really nice sports car. Because at least that is something you use constantly. The lower tiet cars are just aight (like the Sabre Turbo and the Gauntlet are the nicest you can get at that level). But once you hit the sports tier, they are much much faster, and turn much smoother.

I'm thinking a car might be a better investment.

I brought the 330k apartment as it had a better view and still enough left over to arm myself to the teeth. Once you have the apartment, money isnt really a concern anymore.

Didn't know there was a 330k apartment. Where is it located? I guess I'll just search for it on google. Compared to the 400k, is it close to size? Is the garage big?

EDIT: I forgot you can just look and buy on your phone. Problem solved.

Top Bottom