• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

GQman2121

Banned
Bounties do go away. It just takes a long time. I want say one full in game day cycle.

Had a $9,000 bounty'd player hiding with a car in the subway tunnels. We couldn't figure out how to get full sized vehicles down there, so we just let him rot. A notice eventually popped up that he had survived the bounty. Not sure if he profited off that though.

Arcteryx

Yeah, that makes sense. It almost would make more sense to just spend that money on a really nice sports car. Because at least that is something you use constantly. The lower tiet cars are just aight (like the Sabre Turbo and the Gauntlet are the nicest you can get at that level). But once you hit the sports tier, they are much much faster, and turn much smoother.

I'm thinking a car might be a better investment.

Didn't know there was a 330k apartment. Where is it located? I guess I'll just search for it on google. Compared to the 400k, is it close to size? Is the garage big?

All of the 10 car garage apartments look the same(aside from some minor interior decoration changes); the only MAJOR changes are the views/exteriors of the apartment. Whether that's worth an extra $200k+ is up to you.

Ploid 3.0

I do you play online in solo mode. I was searching through options yesterday and could not find it.

In Single Player mode:

1: Press Start
2: move over to Online
3: Play GTA Online (assuming the last character you played online is the one you want to play solo.)
4: Pick "Solo Session" (If you are on PS3 block the matchmaker port so to reduce cloud freezes like the tutorial mission).

Matchmaking is totally hosed right now...

If anyone is stuck on PS3 version trying to get passed the tutorial...

Block port UDP 3658 (both source and destination)

For reference and those who have tomato routers, my config
1TPK3JI.png

This is how I play usually. I'm not doing MP with other people much until the lost character thing stops. I did get a invisible character situation but I was playing with others, though the cloud was down a lot so it could have been anything. Not sure if being solo prevents missing character much, but I don't get lost in the clouds loading as often as match making does it.

BraXzy

I brought the 330k apartment as it had a better view and still enough left over to arm myself to the teeth. Once you have the apartment, money isnt really a concern anymore.

Can you post a screenshot of the view? I honestly care about the view haha. I want to know which one to buy.

What are people's views on the cars in the game? Specifically in the $150K range? I'm leaning towards the Audi R8 as my personal car.

Mononoke

Banned
All of the 10 car garage apartments look the same(aside from some minor interior decoration changes); the only MAJOR changes are the views/exteriors of the apartment. Whether that's worth an extra $200k+ is up to you.

Thanks. Good tip to know. Is there a way to see the view the property has before buying? Or do you just need to see videos on youtube.

jacobs34

I brought the 330k apartment as it had a better view and still enough left over to arm myself to the teeth. Once you have the apartment, money isnt really a concern anymore.

I think saving up for a car may be worth it. Driving to missions and having a really fast car for races is nice.

From the limited researching I've done, there's pretty much only 3 Apartment interiors and they're organized by Garage Size. All the 2 car garage apartments look the same, all the 6 car garage apartments look the same, and all the 10 car garage apartments look the same. Price difference is due to location and location also determines the view you'll have from the apartment itself.

Ding-Ding

Yeah, that makes sense. It almost would make more sense to just spend that money on a really nice sports car. Because at least that is something you use constantly. The lower tiet cars are just aight (like the Sabre Turbo and the Gauntlet are the nicest you can get at that level). But once you hit the sports tier, they are much much faster, and turn much smoother.

I'm thinking a car might be a better investment.

Didn't know there was a 330k apartment. Where is it located? I guess I'll just search for it on google. Compared to the 400k, is it close to size? Is the garage big?

EDIT: I forgot you can just look and buy on your phone. Problem solved.

All the high end ones are pretty much identical, differences are cosmetic only. Its a central location with the best view of downtown LS. Cant remember the name but I remember the apartment was 101

In Single Player mode:

1: Press Start
2: move over to Online
3: Play GTA Online (assuming the last character you played online is the one you want to play solo.)
4: Pick "Solo Session" (If you are on PS3 block the matchmaker port so to reduce cloud freezes like the tutorial mission).

Thank you

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Anyone have a bigger car as their personal? I'm about to start saving up for a nice car, but I'm starting to wonder if a big SUV type might be a better idea that a supercar. Some of the really expensive cars are so fast that I can hardly control them with the pedal down anyway (I'm pretty bad), so maybe something my crew can roll around in/that can deliver some ramming punishment might be more practical.

Any thoughts?

Ding-Ding

Can you post a screenshot of the view? I honestly care about the view haha. I want to know which one to buy.

What are people's views on the cars in the game? Specifically in the $150K range? I'm leaning towards the Audi R8 as my personal car.

I'll see if I can do it in a bit

Mononoke

Banned
All the high end ones are pretty much identical, differences are cosmetic only. Its a central location with the best view of downtown LS. Cant remember the name but I remember the apartment was 101

Yeah, not seeing a $330 apartment on mine. All the eclipse towers ones are 373k, 391k, 382k,400k (the lowest is 373k).

Apartments are:

Apt 9, 40, 5, 31.

At least for me. Maybe it's different for each player. I might just go for the 373k one, but I wish I could see the view it has before buying. Unfortunately, people only have the 400k one on youtube.

Is it possible to *sell* a property? So I have ~$50,000, but I really want to save up to buy an apartment. But that takes a lot longer if you play free roam because the death penalty is so high. If I buy a property, can I then sell it for the same value later on when I have, say, $50,000 more (hence a total of $50,000 in property and $50,000 in deposited cash)

(sorry for repost)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any feel good stories about characters reappearing after vanishing? I want to play again, but not without my level 20 character.

Yes. Lost character last night, didn't panic as I assumed upon the cloud working he'd be back. Wasn't disappointef this afternoon. Twice he's gone, twice he's been back.

Why is body armor so useless in this game?
I find the armor pretty useful in single player when it seems the AI almost always aims for your body... but yea, online, headshots totally negate armor.

Last night there was a high level dude picking on me. He had an assault rifle and kept killing my LVL 1 player... repeatedly... it was annoying. But at one point (maybe 4 deaths into his rampage against me) he was speeding towards me in an SUV and i shot one round into the windshield, hit him in the head instantly killing him, and the SUV violently swerved at the last moment, avoiding me, and crashed into a building, and his dead body came through the windshield... it was awesome... then he killed me another 4 or 5 times.. dick.

Chinner

Banned
wtf why am i getting kicked from games instantly? i was playing a game normally and i was kicked, whatever salty players, then i join another game and im kicked instnatly in the lobby. going to get bad sport shit at this rate for nothing

KAOz

Short bus special
Nope. Was still on there. I didn't make any other characters either, I just left it and played BF3 beta (that isn't a typo, btw ;P).

Not the same situation then as for alot of us others are in. :(

Characters have been gone, but shown up there. Though, if they are gone from SC, it seems they won't be coming back. Which is happening to alot of us.

Is it possible to *sell* a property? So I have ~$50,000, but I really want to save up to buy an apartment. But that takes a lot longer if you play free roam because the death penalty is so high. If I buy a property, can I then sell it for the same value later on when I have, say, $50,000 more (hence a total of $50,000 in property and $50,000 in deposited cash)

(sorry for repost)
I don't believe you can sell unless your buying a new apartment, then half of what you paid for the current goes to the new one iirc.

Mononoke

Banned
Yeah I agree about the body armor. It's useless online. Also, the AI is ridiculously spot on with hits. You will sometimes be around a corner, or really far away, and they manage to magically hit you every time. And your health always drains instantly. Whereas I'll have a high powered assault rifle, load into them (even aiming at the head), and it's ridiculous how sometimes they don't die right away. Also, when bad guys are behind cars, it's like the cars are complete magic. Nothing is getting through them. I've shot a dude in the face 10 times with a shot gun (right through the windshield, but because he was on the side of the van taking cover, it would not kill him.

And this is one easy mode!

So yeah, IMO AI is much tougher online. They are much better at hitting you. And the armor doesn't do much. Not that I'm complaining. At least it's a challenge. But lol sometimes it's mind baffling how they are able to get shots on you where you are standing.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Not the same situation then as for alot of us others are in. :(

Characters have been gone, but shown up there. Though, if they are gone from SC, it seems they won't be coming back. Which is happening to alot of us.

Hey, he wanted a feel good story, Buzz Killington! ;P

I assume it's down to either an attempt to make other characters or playing with a temp. Both times I simply exited and played something else till the servers were back up. If you stay in SP, just wait for one of the SC notifications, it's an easy way to know if they're back on.

Ploid 3.0

Release cash cards damn it I haven't got hours to farm.

You can't buy Reputation Points, that one of the main reasons to do the missions. Unlock useful stuff that cost money or make you money. I now only save sticky bombs for the armored trucks. 6-8k seem to be what they give.

Future

Will changing my setting to allow friends only to enter my vehicle prevent players from easily stealing them? I know it prevents passengers from getting in, but will it stop anyone from stealing it

During coop missions, you always spawn outside of your cars, and there is always a stupid mad dash to get to my car before some other jack ass steals it since it is faster. I could have sworn I had a friends only setting

What I want is to have my vehicle locked to myself for driving, but passengers can be anyone

You can't buy Reputation Points, that one of the main reasons to do the missions. Unlock useful stuff that cost money or make you money. I now only save sticky bombs for the armored trucks. 6-8k seem to be what they give.

That's true I just want a nice crib and cool cars.

I have no problems going through levels slowly, I'm level 9 driving in a 100k modded car lol!

With no house.

Falt

I unlocked armoured trucks a few levels back but haven't seen one yet. Am I missing something?

Mononoke

Banned
I don't understand why people farm to get their levels up. Cash I get. But why levels? You are basically missing out on a lot of the solo missions (Gerald/Simeon/Ron etc.). And while you can still play those old missions by calling them, I think leveling up along side those are much better. As you get to progress, and see the new missions as you get better.

Jumping 10 + levels doing the same mission over and over, and then having missed all those missions, just seems like a shame to me.

Arcteryx

Yeah, not seeing a $330 apartment on mine. All the eclipse towers ones are 373k, 391k, 382k,400k (the lowest is 373k).

Apartments are:

Apt 9, 40, 5, 31.

At least for me. Maybe it's different for each player. I might just go for the 373k one, but I wish I could see the view it has before buying. Unfortunately, people only have the 400k one on youtube.

This is #40: http://de.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftAutoV/comments/1nrsip/eclipse_tower_apt_40_391000_pictures/
and some of the various other high-end ones: http://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftAutoV/comments/1nquqp/apartment_thread/

Trigger

Yeah I agree about the body armor. It's useless online. Also, the AI is ridiculously spot on with hits. You will sometimes be around a corner, or really far away, and they manage to magically hit you every time. And your health always drains instantly. Whereas I'll have a high powered assault rifle, load into them (even aiming at the head), and it's ridiculous how sometimes they don't die right away. Also, when bad guys are behind cars, it's like the cars are complete magic. Nothing is getting through them. I've shot a dude in the face 10 times with a shot gun (right through the windshield, but because he was on the side of the van taking cover, it would not kill him.

And this is one easy mode!

So yeah, IMO AI is much tougher online. They are much better at hitting you. And the armor doesn't do much. Not that I'm complaining. At least it's a challenge. But lol sometimes it's mind baffling how they are able to get shots on you where you are standing.

Indeed, it got to the point where I just stopped buying body armor for missions. It usually takes seconds for me to be reduced to half health against enemies.

Mononoke

Banned

Thank you so much for posting. You've been very helpful. BTW, those that I promised to add on PSN, it will have to wait till Thursday. I'm going to be very busy at University this week, and won't be on. Just a heads up.

If anyone else wants to add me, just PM me your PSN and I'll check back the PMS on Thursday. Would love to play with you guys. I actually have no friends on PSN, because they were all on Xbox Live, and I ended up switching to PS3 4 years ago when PS3 started having better games (IMO of course). So also send me a PM if you feel pity for someone that is literally playing this game with no one. :)

EDIT: Seems like the 393k one has the best view. Apartment 40 it is.

Revven

Indeed, it got to the point where I just stopped buying body armor for missions. It usually takes seconds for me to be reduced to half health against enemies.

Buying snacks is more worth your money than body armor if you think you're going to get hit a lot.

Arcteryx

Buying snacks is more worth your money than body armor if you think you're going to get hit a lot.

Yep. They seem to be overlooked by many, but they are incredibly helpful at times(like when you know the enemy will be spawning cars to pursue you; nice to top off your HP to full).

Ploid 3.0

Thanks. Good tip to know. Is there a way to see the view the property has before buying? Or do you just need to see videos on youtube.

This is how my view is.

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

You can see the farriswheel light up. On the other side you can see the airport and a bit of the water if it's not foggy.
0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

It was 200k ish (lower than 250k for sure). 3 Alta St, Apt ??

Top Bottom