• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

5% of your total cash with a cap on $2,000. Same with if you bank your money. You will also lose a higher percentage of your cash on hand if you are carrying cash. Dunno what that is though, I bank money as soon as I get the chance.

It's really damaging between the $30,000 - $80,000 level, because $2,000 is often the hihest reward you get for doing a job and you can lose it all in a matter of seconds.

Best way to minimize your death tax is to buy property... It actually gives you something tangible and you can sell it later (admittedly, for like half the value), but it still prevents you from needlessly losing cash for no reason in free roam.

How do you sell property?

Yeah, the pesky ability to replay missions to quickly earn money sure gets in the way of microtransactions. No wonder they disabled the replay function.
Well apparently you need "GTA Cash" to call a mugger on someone which is required by one of the achievements so you still need to front some money I guess.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Man, reading through this thread is kinda... Gross now. It's turned from constant (rightful) connection bitching to post after post about farming or money. Y'all are doing a very good job of sounding like GTA progagonists these days. We need more stories about emergent chaos and less about "well I spent 4 hours farming this one fucking mission and now I have an apartment, yay" or "violent ducts pls".

I like the bounty system.

I also think a hitman system would be cool as well I pay a guy 10k to take you out (you don't know this) but I can also specify the way I want you taken out, sniper, shotgun to the head, ran over etc when the hitman completes the contract he gets paid.

At higher levels you can call and pay merryweather mercs to go after a player character. Pretty awesome. I had them called on me. 2 - 3 waves of them show up in military jeeps. I was able to take them all out and steal the jeep and put it in my garage.

btw, if they aren't able to kill a player, you don't end up losing money.

GQman2121

Banned
I don't understand how anyone can honestly be playing this right now. It's such a gamble. I only lost a level 20 character and feel gutted. That took 20 hours of my life. I enjoyed those hours, and want to jump back in, but I just don't see the point with things being so uncertain.

If I we're in that 30-50 rank range and had my character deleted, there's no way I'd consider coming back. I'd just wait until Rockstar had one of their triple XP weekends or something.

Yeah, the pesky ability to replay missions to quickly earn money sure gets in the way of microtransactions. No wonder they disabled the replay function.

The replay function is still there, you just have to press RT right after a mission instead of hitting continue that will take you back to the gametype select screen. Replay is ONLY disabled for certain missions on the gametype select screen.

DodgerSan

Man, reading through this thread is kinda... Gross now. It's turned from constant (rightful) connection bitching to post after post about farming or money. Y'all are doing a very good job of sounding like GTA progagonists these days. We need more stories about emergent chaos and less about "well I spent 4 hours farming this one fucking mission and now I have an apartment, yay" or "violent ducts pls".

We may not always see eye to eye sir, but I 100% agree with you on this.

Ryhian

Screw it, I'm making a new character. Its been over 3 days now and no luck.

Its been 3 days for me as well. I told myself yesterday that I would wait one more day, which would be today, and just create a new character. My issue isnt the levels I lost, but I enjoyed the look of my lost character. Hoping I can recall most of the settings to make one very similar.

Alienous

I don't understand how anyone can honestly be playing this right now. It's such a gamble. I only lost a level 20 character and feel gutted. That took 20 hours of my life. I enjoyed those hours, and want to jump back in, but I just don't see the point with things being so uncertain.

If I we're in that 30-50 rank range and had my character deleted, there's no way I'd consider coming back. I'd just wait until Rockstar had one of their triple XP weekends or something.

Still waiting.

I hope that Rockstar says something definitive.

I had a fucking world record.

I'd just wait until Rockstar had one of their triple XP weekends or something.

This just made me think, we'll likely get triple XP weekends, but that's just gonna be for RP points, isn't it? They ain't giving us triple cash weekends, not when they're trying to sell us on those cash cards. That sucks.

xBladeM6x

I was 27 and mine was deleted, with the best apartment, and every vehicle I wanted (non-sports cars) in the garage with custom paint jobs and all. I really want to play again because it is unbelievably fun, but I don't want to risk my character getting shit on again.

I had a fucking world record.
Sunday I think I was one of the first back in the game once the cloud came back... because I did the opening race, and crashed a few times... still won, but got the "World Record" award for my time, despite it being awful. Rockstar Social Club still shows the World Record.

Alienous

I was 27 and mine was deleted, with the best apartment, and every vehicle I wanted (non-sports cars) in the garage with custom paint jobs and all. I really want to play again because it is unbelievably fun, but I don't want to risk my character getting shit on again.

Its been 3 days for me as well. I told myself yesterday that I would wait one more day, which would be today, and just create a new character. My issue isnt the levels I lost, but I enjoyed the look of my lost character. Hoping I can recall most of the settings to make one very similar.

Brothers for life, Lost
hopefully not
forever.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Well apparently you need "GTA Cash" to call a mugger on someone which is required by one of the achievements so you still need to front some money I guess.

That isn't true, and isn't GTA Cash just in-game money? You just need someone to be level 50 and call Lester to get a mugger on you, then you kill the mugger, that will get you the trophy/achievement.

Thank you.

Seems like nobody wants to really play the game or try it for what it is. Just some get rich quick bullshit.

Tawpgun

Oh and what ever happened to Races and other activities happening on the same server.

I remember reading about a race that was interupted by another players cop chase. That sounded awesome.

Alienous

It has already been done.

And now the experience is changed forever.

Drama

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Oh and what ever happened to Races and other activities happening on the same server.

I remember reading about a race that was interupted by another players cop chase. That sounded awesome.

You can start "impromptu races" with other players in free roam.

Here is a story for you. A friend and I were playing together and going after bounties. We got kind of bored of just attacking bounties straight up. So I grabbed the cargobob heli and my friend got in his tricked out sports car. I picked him up with the wench and we would then wait for a bounty to pop up and then fly after them and track them down. This one person with a bounty took to the highway to try and get away from us. I chased him down until I was able to get right above him. I snapped by friend lose and he landed on the highway perfectly in his car and took chase. He shot out the guys tires causing him to spin out where then my friend delivered the final blow by detonating a sticky bomb he placed on his car while he was slowly trying to escape with no tires. It was amazing watching all this unfold as I was hovering above in the helicopter. We then split the bounty 50/50.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Here is a story for you. A friend and I were playing together and going after bounties. We got kind of bored of just attacking bounties straight up. So I grabbed the cargobob heli and my friend got in his tricked out sports car. I picked him up with the wench and we would then wait for a bounty to pop up and then fly after them and track them down. This one person with a bounty took to the highway to try and get away from us. I chased him down until I was able to get right above him. I snapped by friend lose and he landed on the highway perfectly in his car and took chase. He shot out the guys tires causing him to spin out where then my friend delivered the final blow by detonating a sticky bomb he placed on his car while he was slowly trying to escape with no tires. It was amazing watching all this unfold as I was hovering above in the helicopter. We then split the bounty 50/50.

10/10

Also, where is the Cargobob located?

That isn't true, and isn't GTA Cash just in-game money? You just need someone to be level 50 and call Lester to get a mugger on you, then you kill the mugger, that will get you the trophy/achievement.
Nope. I am a level 74. I call Lamar to mug someone and it says I need GTA Cash. I have over 3 million in in-game money. I go to the MS store to buy some but the cards are not available.

Qwell

Thank you.

Seems like nobody wants to really play the game or try it for what it is. Just some get rich quick bullshit.

Its not that people ONLY want a get rich quick thing. People want to play the game, and I think they want to freeroam and do all kinds of crazy stuff. The problem is you are so limited in what you can do at the outset. I've been playing for over 25 hours now and I can't even use any explosive devices yet like a rocket launcher or grenade launcher. Hell I just barely unlocked the assault shotgun.

Not to mention I can't even buy any engine upgrades for my cars because everything is locked behind not just a money gate, but a rank gate as well. I'm reminded of the WoW South Park episode where they farm spiders or whatever until they are max level and then they can "play the game". This is the issue you see in a lot of persistent MMO type games and GTA online is kind of following that formula.

You have people that were playing the story mode and had access to everything, and then they get to the online portion and you get to play with a pistol and a knife for the first 8 hours or whatever... yahoo i guess...

Gnub

It seems to take a really long time for people to join when i send out the crew only invites to missions. whats the common best practice wait time?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Just had some idiot in a race at the airport going backwards and just trying to hit people. Moron didn't even manage to hit me once.

does anyone know of any missions that pay more than $25k? I'm rank 37 now, and a fellow NGTT crew member was saying there is a $100k mission available at rank 35 but wasn't sure the name. I've been trying to find a mission list on the web, but I guess my google skills are failing me. The one I found only has about 6 missions and again the best one paying $25k.

I found this, but you need a organized crew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P72vQdVU2NA

Cerilli

Neo Member
Wouldn't it be cool if they had some kind of world events on the server which would motivate everybody to go to the same area for a bit? It would be utter chaos, but also really cool to have everybody around to make it feel crowded. Maybe spawn some massive boss enemy...

Everybody is always so spread out and doing their own thing, it's been rare for me to see more than one or two people at a time.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Just had some idiot in a race at the airport going backwards and just trying to hit people. Moron didn't even manage to hit me once.

That does not make him an idiot. It makes him somebody making his own fun. I have no idea why people have such a problem with this kind of thing. It's GTA. GTA is about messing around. Doing that in a race is the definition of messing around. I did similar things myself in IV.

8byte

Banned
I'm done with jobs in public lobbies. 3 times in a row last night I waited for someone to help me rob a convenience store. 3 times I was shot in the head BY THE PERSON IT TOLD ME TO WAIT FOR.

Stupid.

Ugh, my worst fear for this game is this. People running around that play the game non stop with a personal security detail, bulletproof everything.
Well that's what it should be!

Those options are awesome and it's hard when only some people have it. Trust me, when we escalate this war, you'll still find ways to kill people.

It has done that for me too. The opening job where you have to rob the store, it once told me to wait for someone.

The person never showed up of course, and the doors were locked on the store so I could not go and do it myself.

I restarted and it said wait again, but once I hit the store that turned off and it allowed me to finish alone.

Tawpgun

I'm done with jobs in public lobbies. 3 times in a row last night I waited for someone to help me rob a convenience store. 3 times I was shot in the head BY THE PERSON IT TOLD ME TO WAIT FOR.

Stupid.

Stop being so baaaaad.

Robbing is a one person job. You keep all the money that way since the payoff is a meager 1000

And don't turn your head on the clerk until you're outside. They can shoot you occasionally but wont if still threatened.

Future

Stupid.

Haha. Happened to me as well. I wish there was a way to declare "truce" or something and form temp alliances with friendly fire off. Cuz you never know, and have caused me to be ruthless on the line

By the time you realize someone is going to be aggressive towards you, you are dead. In that scenario, I'd have gun drawn with truce option enabled. If he accepts, would drop my gun. If player wants to break it, 10 second warning before it happens so I can prepare

8byte

Banned
What? It told you to wait for someone?

Yes. The game said "You will need 2 people to grab the loot". It then said "wait for (username) to rob the store". When he arrived, he first tried to run over me (missed) and then we got in the store, and he shot me in the face.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
I really really enjoy racing in this game. I try not to take it too seriously, it's inevitable that you're going to get knocked out of some races by a maniac, but it's honestly pretty hilarious and makes everything very tense. I love trying to just stay in third until the race is almost done so I can swoop by and win without being murdered by all the psychos.

My only real issue with the rank system is that you need to win races in specific car types to unlock upgrades for those cars. Super annoying, as it can be hard to find a race in the first place, much less a race for the specific class you're looking for.

8byte

Banned
Stop being so baaaaad.

Robbing is a one person job. You keep all the money that way since the payoff is a meager 1000

And don't turn your head on the clerk until you're outside. They can shoot you occasionally but wont if still threatened.

This has nothing to do with being bad. The 3rd "job" in the online game shouldn't be one where they don't warn you that people will shoot you in the face. It also shouldn't give you instructions to wait for people if you can just do it solo. This is not a case of me being bad, it is bad design, or the bad delivery of information with regards to a mission.

Played with someone in GAF Street on 360 yesterday. Their name was King Tut or King Turk (sorry if I messed up your name). Had fun robbing stores and trying to get away. Got to hang out in their apartment too. Wish I had enough money to get one. I've only been able to amass $21K so far.

Also, on the same server, these two guys got a helicopter and decided to chase me around the city. Unfortunately for them, I stole a sports car so I was zipping around. As soon as they got close, I reversed direction and sped away. I'd even hide under overpasses and when they'd get close, drive away in the opposite direction. They eventually lost interest. It was fun.

Tawpgun

I really really enjoy racing in this game. I try not to take it too seriously, it's inevitable that you're going to get knocked out of some races by a maniac, but it's honestly pretty hilarious and makes everything very tense. I love trying to just stay in third until the race is almost done so I can swoop by and win without being murdered by all the psychos.

My only real issue with the rank system is that you need to win races in specific car types to unlock upgrades for those cars. Super annoying, as it can be hard to find a race in the first place, much less a race for the specific class you're looking for.

I wish there was a way to do GTA Race with those powerups but with personal weapons disabled.

bs000

I think there's a glitch with Simeon's car delivery mission. I think how it's supposed to work is you get an automatic 2 stars when you get a vehicle he wants. I put a Patriot in my garage to save for when he gave the mission again. I tried using it but it said Simeon doesn't take personal vehicles. That's fine, but every time I take my Patriot out of the garage I get an automatic 2 stars anyway.

Top Bottom