• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

I really really enjoy racing in this game. I try not to take it too seriously, it's inevitable that you're going to get knocked out of some races by a maniac, but it's honestly pretty hilarious and makes everything very tense. I love trying to just stay in third until the race is almost done so I can swoop by and win without being murdered by all the psychos.

My only real issue with the rank system is that you need to win races in specific car types to unlock upgrades for those cars. Super annoying, as it can be hard to find a race in the first place, much less a race for the specific class you're looking for.

Hell yeah races are damn fun. I never really find getting hit frustrating unless someone is being a real asshole. It can be hard to completely avoid others since there's usually a lot of shit getting in your way so I expect to get little hits and having others rub against your vehicle.

CzarTim invited me into a race last night and we were the only 2 GAF crew members with a bunch of randoms doing 16 player races and it was a blast. Everyone was trying to race clean, even though it's pretty much impossible to with 16 muscle cars or SUVs. Definitely need to get some big GAF races going.

Alpende

Haha, I just won a race because my opponents had to wait for a train to pass that I just passed. Gave me a 6 second lead or something.

DoktorZaius

Neo Member
By the time you realize someone is going to be aggressive towards you, you are dead. In that scenario, I'd have gun drawn with truce option enabled. If he accepts, would drop my gun. If player wants to break it, 10 second warning before it happens so I can prepare
Yeah, my k/d is a bit rough for this reason. I'm okay with people that roll up on my shooting -- I can tell they are hostile, and I have a good chance of killing them. But people that walk up, seem chill, and then shoot me in the face when I pull up my phone and am in the pause menu -- that's just frustrating. Sadly, it really is in your best interests to just kill everyone who isn't crew/friends on sight.

Haha. Happened to me as well. I wish there was a way to declare "truce" or something and form temp alliances with friendly fire off. Cuz you never know, and have caused me to be ruthless on the line

By the time you realize someone is going to be aggressive towards you, you are dead. In that scenario, I'd have gun drawn with truce option enabled. If he accepts, would drop my gun. If player wants to break it, 10 second warning before it happens so I can prepare

That's a good idea. I was robbing stores with someone and, unfortunately, we got too close to each other. On two separate occasions, we pistol whipped each other, haha.

BraXzy

Wouldn't it be cool if they had some kind of world events on the server which would motivate everybody to go to the same area for a bit? It would be utter chaos, but also really cool to have everybody around to make it feel crowded. Maybe spawn some massive boss enemy...

Everybody is always so spread out and doing their own thing, it's been rare for me to see more than one or two people at a time.

I agree there aren't ever enough people nearby, pretty much everyone is hostile and overall unless you find a party you may as well be in solo. I was really hoping for a Test Drive style system where it loads people in and out in your local area depending on where you are.

I think my game was glitching out.

My LB button wouldnt do anything and there wasnt a cursor when trying to shoot

That happened to me for a short while... it's almost like Passive Mode got turned off. Oddly, it happened after I bought an apartment. A friend also said that he could not shoot me.

But after dying (accidentally suicided off of my apartment building roof), it ws bad to normal.

AndyVillan

Neo Member
This. Game.

Just did a lowly fetch and deliver mission for Gerald with two other players.
Got the package, killed some dudes all hopped in a car and sped off. A couple of enemy cars spawned as we were going back to G's and managed to pop one of our tyres before we nailed 'em.
Our Driver was obviously not paying attention to the road as we skidded through a barrier and got absolutely crushed by an oncoming freight train...AllDead.gif
I was pissing myself, love shit like this happening, you couldn't write it...

0_0.jpg

red731

swift731 loading into game. I have a mic. Am down for some trouble, missions or just offroad nitro circus stuff.

PS3 Gaming Age Family

ed: corrected myself. ty tawp

Tawpgun

swift731 loading into game. I have a mic. Am down for some trouble, missions or just offroad nitro circus stuff.

PS3 street

Wait, are there PS3 players in GAF street? I thought it was a 360 crew?

Also, I remembered them saying you need a high end house (10 car garage) in order to gain access to the Heists. Is this true? Its the only thing preventing me from buying an apartment. Im saving up for the 10 car one.

-Deimos

How many PS3 crews do we have? I'm in NeoGaf The Third but it seems only ~15-20 people are online at a time out of 100.

Oh, and I was under the impression that we could take high-end cars to our personal garage and keep them. I was sorely mistaken and am now short 400k. At least I have a fancy apartment now.

Hmmm, I've only played for about an hour but I can't really get into it like the single player. There seems to be a lot of waiting around in lobbies or for things to load. Also from the sounds of it, to progress at a reasonable pace you need to do the same Duct thingy mission over and over which doesn't sound like fun...

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Also, I remembered them saying you need a high end house (10 car garage) in order to gain access to the Heists. Is this true? Its the only thing preventing me from buying an apartment. Im saving up for the 10 car one.

Heists aren't in the game yet, regardless of what type of apartment you own.

jediyoshi

Wouldn't it be cool if they had some kind of world events on the server which would motivate everybody to go to the same area for a bit? It would be utter chaos, but also really cool to have everybody around to make it feel crowded. Maybe spawn some massive boss enemy...

Everybody is always so spread out and doing their own thing, it's been rare for me to see more than one or two people at a time.

I agree. Aside from bounties, I can only think of Simeon's highly valued car showing up on everyone's map. There are the gang attacks, but they're so rank locked for now and I believe only the people who have the ability to see them can start them.

Something like military convoys in sandy shores or armored bank cars around the city that are marked for everyone would be nice.

GQman2121

Banned
I agree. Aside from bounties, I can only think of Simeon's highly valued car showing up on everyone's map. There are the gang attacks, but they're so rank locked for now and I believe only the people who have the ability to see them can start them.

Something like military convoys in sandy shores or armored bank cars around the city that are marked for everyone would be nice.

That would be nice.

Also, the gang attacks are initiated by higher ranked players, but anyone within the red circle no matter their rank will benefit once it's complete. And don't forget to sweep the area for $500 bills and special creates.

Imm0rt4l

How many PS3 crews do we have? I'm in NeoGaf The Third but it seems only ~15-20 people are online at a time out of 100.

Oh, and I was under the impression that we could take high-end cars to our personal garage and keep them. I was sorely mistaken and am now short 400k. At least I have a fancy apartment now.
You put it in your garage and it just dissappeared? Did yoy insure it?

That scares me since I want to get tbe Aston Martin.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm, I've only played for about an hour but I can't really get into it like the single player. There seems to be a lot of waiting around in lobbies or for things to load. Also from the sounds of it, to progress at a reasonable pace you need to do the same Duct thingy mission over and over which doesn't sound like fun...

That last part isn't true. I've put 20 hours in of doing all sorts of stuff and I've got the 223K apartment, five cars etc.

So long as you do stuff, you'll make plenty of money.

Get into one of the crews. Makes the game way better IMO.

You also definitely don't need to do the Duct mission to make reasonable progress. Well, I guess that depends on what you think reasonable progress is. I just hit level 15 last night after playing for 13 hours and I have enough now to buy the 80k apartment. I could have bought it even earlier if I didn't spend so much on clothes, guns and ammo. To me that seems like pretty decent progress and I've just been playing games with the GAF crew. Not really seeing a reason to have the best apartment or cars just yet.

shield

That last part isn't true. I've put 20 hours in of doing all sorts of stuff and I've got the 223K apartment, five cars etc.

Thing is, with the hefty hospital bills I feel encouraged to spend all my money before I lose it again so I fail to save up for anything worthwhile.

I really hate the spawns, I have no ammo and I keep getting gunned down.

At least it's fun though. Just killing time until the conference call.

Get into one of the crews. Makes the game way better IMO.

You also definitely don't need to do the Duct mission to make reasonable progress. Well, I guess that depends on what you think reasonable progress is. I just hit level 15 last night after playing for 13 hours and I have enough now to buy the 80k apartment. I could have bought it even earlier if I didn't spend so much on clothes, guns and ammo. To me that seems like pretty decent progress and I've just been playing games with the GAF crew. Not really seeing a reason to have the best apartment or cars just yet.

Ah okay cheers guys, I guess I've been reading too much GAF where people are trying to get the best stuff as quickly as possible. From what you're saying it seems like progression is fine, just need to get online to work now!

I agree, I haven't made a ton of money but I've made enough to keep me interested in buying shit. I haven't grinded any missions up to this point, but honestly wouldn't be against it.

breakfuss

Man, reading through this thread is kinda... Gross now. It's turned from constant (rightful) connection bitching to post after post about farming or money. Y'all are doing a very good job of sounding like GTA progagonists these days. We need more stories about emergent chaos and less about "well I spent 4 hours farming this one fucking mission and now I have an apartment, yay" or "violent ducts pls".

To be fair, Rockstar started it. Lame excuse, but true. I've had 2 characters deleted - somewhere upward of 15 hours...gone. So, yeah, on my third I said fuck it and farmed the hell out of violent duct. Consequently, I have more RP, cash and possessions than the prior two combined. Don't get me wrong, when it works properly it's lots of fun, but...it hardly works properly. I believe someone in the thread appropriately coined this experience as Darwinism. To you, I simply say, don't hate the player, hate the game. Adapt or perish.

bitoriginal

I really wanted to enjoy the online, but after a week of playing I think I'm done. Can't be arsed with the ridiculous load times and how frequent they are, and the constant striving to get cash whilst affording hospital bills, ammunition and armour is just painful. I may give it a go in a month or so but I'm already bored, it just feels like grinding at this point.

Tawpgun

I really wanted to enjoy the online, but after a week of playing I think I'm done. Can't be arsed with the ridiculous load times and how frequent they are, and the constant striving to get cash whilst affording hospital bills, ammunition and armour is just painful. I may give it a go in a month or so but I'm already bored, it just feels like grinding at this point.

dat instant gratification culture

Alienous

A lot of us really need to message Rockstar and see if they can make a premium Neogaf crew that doesn't have a 300 member cap. Similar to crews like IGN and Destructoid.

Yeah, I'll start that campaign now.

Hey, Rockstar, we need an official NeoGAF crew. I know you're reading. We have a lot of members.

Thank you.

Top Bottom