• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Tawpgun

Trying to choose between Tinsel Towers and Richard Majestic for the views and 4 Integrity Way for the location, but I can't find any pics or vids of Integrity Way

ckohler

I grinded for 2 hours last night until I made enough to by my new apartment. Weazel Plaza Apt 101! The view is insane.

Anybody know what happens when you buy an aircraft?

Rockstar dun goofed. This pick-six shit is SO horrible. Why can't we have playlists where you can pick a certain gametype and play only that? EVERY lobby I get falls apart within a few games and then no one ever joins. Every race lobby is bumper cars 2.0 and they just replay the same one over and over.

Missions (which seemingly no one ever wants to do) are just lame ass fetch quests. Every one is the exact same thing in different locations. I didn't expect this game to feel exactly like an MMO. So, I grinded Violent Duct, got my 400k house and Comet pimped out... what now? I certainly can't go blow my friends up repeatedly because I'll be deemed a "bad sport" (IN GTA WTF!) and be stuck with assholes AND lose all of my money. Not to mention the fucking cops who NEVER stop.

This games fun factor is rough right now... I'm sure later content will help but even then, the pick-six thing will be over-saturated with random content that everyone will just end up going back to freemode if they don't get their way. Heists will be rad, but okay... I'll have more money that I don't want and STILL won't be able to murder my friends without the bullshit that comes with. Why is this shit so serious?... it is GTA after all.

I played 900 games of Cops N' Crooks in GTAIV and laughed my ass off and had an amazing time, GTAO hasn't really done much for me.

Well team deathmatch does nothing for me. It seems like everybody spawns behind you and the maps are too small to really do anything. Luckily there's a shit ton of other things to do because I'll probably avoid these.

I mean I expected it to a large extent, but I thought I would run into a few cats who actually want to do missions and shit.

I guess I'll stick to single player and call it a day when I beat it.
I hang out in my apartment until randoms invite me to do missions. Afterwards I steal a car and sell it, or book it back to my crib.

I like teaming up but it's soo risky! I helped a guy bust into zacundo, but the whole time I'm thinking "at any moment this guy could turn on me and leave me stranded in a hillside"

The worst is when you do missions with people from your free roam. You all spawn back at the same place. It's hard to tell how people will react in situations like that...it's usually violent.

They need a signal to show that you mean no harm to someone. I mean we all know it'll be abused, but I for one would honor it. I'm willing to let you drive to pay n spray in peace if you're willing to let me leave in peace.

Oh, and I want to be able to call 911 on people lurking outside my apartment. Or just in general, I think it would be funny to call 911 while being chased. To call ambulance and what not.

Gaz_RB

At least when you're done being a bad sport it wipes the slate clean and I can be a Clean Player again.

Fine, I won't blow up any cars. You win.

They deserved it though

I'm bored of being poor. I'm boring of having a crap car. I'm bored of having none of the fun weapons.

I'm level 20 and I've been playing for hours and hours. They're still restricting too much.

The idea is good but they've done it wrong. GTA4 online was great because you just had the city and everything in it... not everything locked behind goddamn XP and money that takes too long to earn. I'm level 20 and STILL most of the missions give me only $2k.

At least when you're done being a bad sport it wipes the slate clean and I can be a Clean Player again.

Fine, I won't blow up any cars. You win.
So what happens. You blew up a car and it throws you out of that server automatically? When you're done does it automatically put you back in the decent upstanding gta citizens lobby?

Gorillaz

I'm bored of being poor. I'm boring of having a crap car. I'm bored of having none of the fun weapons.

I'm level 20 and I've been playing for hours and hours. They're still restricting too much.

The idea is good but they've done it wrong. GTA4 online was great because you just had the city and everything in it... not everything locked behind goddamn XP and money that takes too long to earn. I'm level 20 and STILL most of the missions give me only $2k.
Survival?.....?

Gaz_RB

So what happens. You blew up a car and it throws you out of that server automatically? When you're done does it automatically put you back in the decent upstanding gta citizens lobby?

Nah, you stay until you decide to leave. At the end of my bad sport tour, after the timer was up, I took a while to say goodbye to my bad sport friends and accepted an invite back into the world of the clean players.

Moral of the story: most bad sport players want to be there.

Survival?.....?

? Does that give more money/XP?

But the thing is, I don't want to spend a long time playing a crap horde mode. I want both better designed missions (at least somewhat close to the quality of the ones in the main game) and more emphasis on spending time in the city with other players.

By the time I've got all the fun stuff at this rate I'll be so bored of the game I won't want to play it anymore. What I'd give for an M4, jet and tank to roll around the city with right now...

? Does that give more money/XP?

But the thing is, I don't want to spend a long time playing a crap horde mode. I want both better designed missions (at least somewhat close to the quality of the ones in the main game) and more emphasis on spending time in the city with other players.

By the time I've got all the fun stuff at this rate I'll be so bored of the game I won't want to play it anymore. What I'd give for an M4, jet and tank to roll around the city with right now...
$60 real money?

Ploid 3.0

The people still messing about and having fun with this game for what it is (i.e. GTA Online, rather than GTAV Online, or GTA Sandbox Online) are perfectly happy, thank you. Everyone in it for instant gratification or getting bored of grinding (do you hear yourself when you say this?)... well, I don't know what to tell you.

Also re: people complaining about not being able to store "hot" cars. Of course you can't steal and claim high end cars off the street. Can you imagine how boring this would be if everyone from rank 1~100 was just zooming around in super cars the whole time? It would get old pretty fast. There are pretty nice muscle cars and sedans cruising around if you need them, which can be modded into beastly machines while you save up for that luxury sports car on the web.

This system and the entire game in general is meant to be a slow burn, ideally enjoyed while comparing with friends and approached in a communal, yet competetive way.

When I say I get bored of grinding it's the slow grind stuff that don't seem to help me progress much (example. Robbing stores at level 20 for cash to buy something I want). $1k - $2k rewards for long missions does little to motivate me to do more, but when they give me a good reward I actually have a reason to do them without it being a bit of a waste of time. Even when I was getting small amounts of credit, compared to Duct, I enjoyed doing the missions over and over to level up and get money. It was like a speed run each time (I'm speed running on the one I'm doing now, fun fun). Things cost a lot of money, money is everything in this game, so it's important in order to build the character up. It's not your standard GTA4 MP, you need to unlock weapons and buy cars. The whole map is unlocked but abilities, activities, and features are locked. You are encouraged to get them, and not die. Having a ton of money and dying is a bad idea.

Anyway there are other options now, I'm doing one that's faster and even more fun than duct. I'm glad No Hay Bronca was nerfed too because that is a mission I would have been forcing my way through in bordom for the 9k. The one I'm on now involves speeding around the hills after one assassination. I like it a lawt ^^ My car got so banged up after so many runs that I had to swap it out via house mechanic. These work horses are paying for their price.

This seem to be Rockstar's first attempt at this type of reward system. It's kinda bad but they will iron things out. I do know one thing though, in a game like this it's best to take advantage of the early opportunities to advance because it will surely get slower especially when they are selling money (I've experienced free to play examples).

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I tried driving a titan on the streets. I landed, didn't go so hot after I found out I couldn't go anywhere else because the wingspan was so big.

0_0.jpg

Even if you buy GTA$ using real money you still need to be level 70 for example for the tank. This unlock and progression system is just wrong and has no place in GTA.

Really? Damn, that's so stupid.

There were no limits in GTA 4 online and I played it for probably 200 hours. 20 hours in with GTA 5 online and already the cracks are showing and my patience is getting thinner.

Says a lot about how online should be for a GTA game, I think.

You haven't experienced a Tank spawn killing the shit out of you. I have grown to fear the sound of treads rolling down the street!

20 more minutes in this bad sport hellhole.
I've seen some shit

It's timed? Like you're labeled a bad sport for 3 hours (or whatever)?

I had no idea people could get tanks out of the base. How?

Really? Damn, that's so stupid.

There were no limits in GTA 4 online and I played it for probably 200 hours. 20 hours in with GTA 5 online and already the cracks are showing and my patience is getting thinner.

Says a lot about how online should be for a GTA game, I think.

If it were any easier to buy them, there'd be tanks everywhere. If you're okay with everyone being able to buy tanks after a few hours of play, then there'd have to be separate lobbies where people can use them, otherwise, you'd just have high level players preying on low levels. You can steal tanks, but in order to buy and own them, you have to level up a great deal which is fair. It might be too expensive or take too long, but the concept isn't stupid.

There should be a free mode separate from the normal online where every vehicle in the game spawns somewhere. Deaths wouldn't hemorrhage money and overworld missions (deathmatches, races, etc.) would still be available.

Gaz_RB

It's timed? Like you're labeled a bad sport for 3 hours (or whatever)?

I had no idea people could get tanks out of the base. How?

It's more like 2 days but yeah it's timed.

And they don't get them out of the army base, they buy them on the Internet!

Yeah, we in the same room. SpaceKajX.

I was in second until I crash and you took third.

Haha sweet! I'm having a blast.

Got kicked for some reason though

Bread

Banned
"Titan of a Job" is an easy way to get 10k. I'm in a lobby right now with 5 other people, and I'm just getting in the car, riding along to the plane, and letting them go in and do all the work.

pringles

Even if you buy GTA$ using real money you still need to be level 70 for example for the tank. This unlock and progression system is just wrong and has no place in GTA.
I disagree. I'm glad people don't have tanks day 1. In GTA IV I never played with anyone but friends, and that's what I'd do in V too if when I entered a server there were 15 people in tanks or attack helis or wielding miniguns while I have a handgun.

Doesn't take that long to level and imo the progression makes everything useful at one time or another instead of only the top level cars/weapons/vehicles being used like 90% of all other GTA gameplay.

The levelling/progression is one of the things I absolutely think they got right in this. Only thing I dislike is the race wins requires for car mods, probably won't unlock most of those.

"Titan of a Job" is an easy way to get 10k. I'm in a lobby right now with 5 other people, and I'm just getting in the car, riding along to the plane, and letting them go in and do all the work.
Keep quiet and carry on farming.

But yeah, I had a group yesterday doing that one in minutes for 7-8 times. Slower than Duct, but more fun atleast.

Astery

I heard that we can only have 1 property at a time which is fine, but I'm wondering if that applies to garages as well? ie. can i have 1 apartment and 1 or more garage which is not coming from the apartment at the same time?

breakfuss

I'm hoping heists ease some of the pain.

Codeblew

Survival Mode. 20k - 4k ammo.

So, bought my apartment and bought my car, the Voltic only for it to be the version with no roof and there's no option at LS Customs to add one... Goddammit.

Visiting/Having visitors to an apartment is pointless.

Also my character is now MIA.

Was grinding violent and got stuck in the clouds....

Codeblew

What's survival mode/how do I trigger it? Guess it's like a horde? Is this done alone?
\

Bring up your phone, hit left once and then you can select mission type. Survival mode is 10 rounds of killing enemies coming after 4 players. The first 3 rounds are easy. the 4th, 7th and 10th rounds have helecopters firing at you so it is best to find a spot to get cover and save killing helecopters until last. It also helps for you and your teamates to be close and cover all directions for enemies.

It will probably take you a few times to get adept at it but once you have some experience on the maps, you should hit the 10th round about 50% of the time or more.

Also, people that start survival mode up before 4 people join piss me off. Although I have completed 10 rounds with 3 ppl before.

The game really opens up once you're a higher level. Of course the problem is getting there. All you can really do is grind the short missions that give a lot of RP. And that can get monotonous at the low levels, because those missions are fucking boring. The higher level missions are a bit more fun, but still nothing mindblowing. What's really going to suck is when Rockstar finally gets around to completely removing mission replay. I got from level 48 to 53 in about an hour of playing of that cement truck mission, and that mission is actually kind of fun.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
When I say I get bored of grinding it's the slow grind stuff that don't seem to help me progress much (example. Robbing stores at level 20 for cash to buy something I want). $1k - $2k rewards for long missions does little to motivate me to do more, but when they give me a good reward I actually have a reason to do them without it being a bit of a waste of time. Even when I was getting small amounts of credit, compared to Duct, I enjoyed doing the missions over and over to level up and get money. It was like a speed run each time (I'm speed running on the one I'm doing now, fun fun). Things cost a lot of money, money is everything in this game, so it's important in order to build the character up. It's not your standard GTA4 MP, you need to unlock weapons and buy cars. The whole map is unlocked but abilities, activities, and features are locked. You are encouraged to get them, and not die. Having a ton of money and dying is a bad idea.

Anyway there are other options now, I'm doing one that's faster and even more fun than duct. I'm glad No Hay Bronca was nerfed too because that is a mission I would have been forcing my way through in bordom for the 9k. The one I'm on now involves speeding around the hills after one assassination. I like it a lawt ^^ My car got so banged up after so many runs that I had to swap it out via house mechanic. These work horses are paying for their price.

This seem to be Rockstar's first attempt at this type of reward system. It's kinda bad but they will iron things out. I do know one thing though, in a game like this it's best to take advantage of the early opportunities to advance because it will surely get slower especially when they are selling money (I've experienced free to play examples).

Fair enough. Glad you've found a mission that's fun to replay and still get a decent reward out of it. I just don't agree with the sentiment that it's best to take advantage of the system "while we still can". I'm just playing for the laughs, and am finding new ways to have fun each time I level up and use my limited time/money in different ways. I don't need to experience it all at once.

Poetaster

Banned
Visiting/Having visitors to an apartment is pointless.

Also my character is now MIA.

Was grinding violent and got stuck in the clouds....
Yeah, pressing right to interact with your beverages and bong wasn't very captivating. Rockstar managed to make apartments more boring than PlayStation home, they should have darts or pool for people to play.

Yeah, pressing right to interact with your beverages and bong wasn't very captivating. Rockstar managed to make apartments more boring than PlayStation home, they should have darts or pool for people to play.

The TV is all that matters. Call a mercenary group on a random player and watch the fallout. Unfortunately I don't think you can call airstrikes while in your apartment. That would have been great fun.

Gorillaz

Yea if you want to exploit the game cash/XP wise this is your time because once they iron out the cloud shit for everyone, they are going to clean sweep a lot of things. I feel it.

So my awesome moment for the night was helping a buddy take revenge on a guy who stole his import vehicle. I crashed my plane I was flying into the guy on high way. I couldn't help but to laugh I mean this guy was thinking he was in the clear only to hear my plane coming from behind him at full speed

Top Bottom