• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Bought the top of Weazel Towers, had an alright view of the city out of one window and an alright view of the beach too. Is there any way to arrange the cars? or is it just drive in order?

Also robbed a security truck, got 5k and a ton of xp, so if you just see one around and don't mind a little run away from police they are good for a little diversion.

Shit just bought a 50k watch by accident.

Jesus, lol, are you a male character? There is only one watch for a female character that is like $800.

Enter the game, bought a house with 10 car garage and am now looking for all Karin's in the game.

Managed to repair, tag and bring home a Sultan after it almost being ripped apart after getting a 5000 bounty on my head whilst driving it.

Now to get enough dough and xp so i can tune this fucker!

My god, what a joke of a post. "Nerfing they payouts" was what they SHOULD have done due to people exploiting the fuck out of missions to get big money early on, which does what exactly? You get things real quick and go "Now what Rockstar?" "I have the best house and cars, give me more!" Fuck that shit; I work 9 hours a day, have a child, come home and get maybe 2 hours a night, if I am lucky, to play games. I enjoy the shit how it is and like the work I have to put in to even get a dingy garage. Nothing fires me up more than people who exploit things like this early on and then whine about it when Rockstar "cheats" them..fuck.

It wasn't exploiting until people did the 30 or less second glitch with a sticky bomb. Rockstar had the ability to replay a mission coded into the game, it's in the damn UI, so they wanted people to be able to replay a mission. If anything they should raise the payouts of the more difficult missions. I mean, a Lester mission where you are likely to die multiple times that only pays out 2000 is bull shit of the highest degree. And so what if you can only play two hours a day max? Why care how other people play the damn game? Does their play style lessen your enjoyment of the game? Does it effect you personally? No? Then stop complaining. Rockstar relesed a half-baked multiplayer two weeks late, and instead of fixing bugs, they remove features and alter gameplay to make it more tiresome for most people.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Just ran into some guy with a bounty. I could not kill him, and when I got close he'd teleport across the map, WTF?

Marleyman

Banned
It wasn't exploiting until people did the 30 or less second glitch with a sticky bomb. Rockstar had the ability to replay a mission coded into the game, it's in the damn UI, so they wanted people to be able to replay a mission. If anything they should raise the payouts of the more difficult missions. I mean, a Lester mission where you are likely to die multiple times that only pays out 2000 is bull shit of the highest degree.

You have a legit beef when you discuss the Lester mission and the weak payout; they should fix things like that.

Uncle0wnage said:
And so what if you can only play two hours a day max? Why care how other people play the damn game?

So what? I am trying to explain the reason I feel this way; that is your answer to that. As for why I care, it is causing people like myself who don't have the time, patience to grind a mission over and over again to get a ton of money to lose out on the chance to get paid on that mission, for instance.

Uncle0nage said:
Does their play style lessen your enjoyment of the game?

Yes.

Uncle0wnage said:
Does it effect you personally?

I gave my opinion previously; how can't you figure out the answer to this question?

Uncle0wnage said:
Then stop complaining. Rockstar relesed a half-baked multiplayer two weeks late, and instead of fixing bugs, they remove features and alter gameplay to make it more tiresome for most people.

You are the one who was complaining; I merely answered your weak ass whining with why they did it and some of my personal experiences with the game.

J4g3r

Anyone else having connection issues after today's patch? (PS3)

Can't seem to connect to anyone, always puts me in a game on my own.

I really don't like how Rockstar is handling the money in GTA Online. Reportedly the patch today was for fixing the exploit people were using to replay missions, which was also in the first patch but just not completely fixed. So instead of Rockstar rushing a patch to solve the deleted characters issue, they see money/xp exploit being a bigger concern. Why? I ask myself. Well maybe it's so people will stay broke like the game was mean't to be. From what I have seen, here are a few example of ways the game was designed to keep you from becoming rich too fast:

1. You can't steal an expensive car and keep it for yourself permanently.
2. You can't sell an expensive car to the car shop.
3. Players can only give other players $5000 per day.
4.You can only bet $2500 during matches.
5. You can no longer replay missions(Two patches in little over a week to fix this).
6. Most missions/activities/etc only reward you with a small amount of money.

Most missions only give you a few thousand at best. While the most expensive houses and cars can run up to $800,000. None of this would bother me if it wasn't for the fact that you can buy in-game money with real money(maybe not at the moment). With that it all just makes me feel like the entire online was designed to entice you to buy money instead of earning it. This type of model makes me sick.

Future

You have a legit beef when you discuss the Lester mission and the weak payout; they should fix things like that.

So what? I am trying to explain the reason I feel this way; that is your answer to that. As for why I care, it is causing people like myself who don't have the time, patience to grind a mission over and over again to get a ton of money to lose out on the chance to get paid on that mission, for instance.

Yes.

I gave my opinion previously; how can't you figure out the answer to this question?

You are the one who was complaining; I merely answered your weak ass whining with why they did it and some of my personal experiences with the game.

I gotta admit I abused the ducts just a bit. Nowhere to the level of 30 s clears, but I did restart a bunch of times for the guaranteed payout.

That had something to do with the fact I lost 100k into the ether somehow. The frustrating thing I think is that they are fixing the get rich quick gameplay, but letting slide the get poor quick side effect of shitty cloud servers. Other games sometimes compensate you for losses like mine. Not gta, so I understand some of the complaints

Also, when I farmed ducts with normal solo play, taking about 10 min or so, that was the most nonstop gameplay I experienced since this launched. If only other missions could start with decent payout with similar quickness 1 after the other without forcing loads into free roam or shitty slow matchmaking

Lima

I really don't like how Rockstar is handling the money in GTA Online. Reportedly the patch today was for fixing the exploit people were using to replay missions, which was also in the first patch but just not completely fixed. So instead of Rockstar rushing a patch to solve the deleted characters issue, they see money/xp exploit being a bigger concern. Why? I ask myself. Well maybe it's so people will stay broke like the game was mean't to be. From what I have seen, here are a few example of ways the game was designed to keep you from becoming rich too fast:

5. You can no longer replay missions(Two patches in little over a week to fix this).

Most missions only give you a few thousand at best. While the most expensive houses and cars can run up to $800,000. None of this would bother me if it wasn't for the fact that you can buy in-game money with real money(maybe not at the moment). With that it all just makes me feel like the entire online was designed to entice you to buy money instead of earning it. This type of model makes me sick.

But it is so balanced.

At least that is what Rockstar tried to told me before release. What a load of bullshit.

Future

You forgot losing thousands on death. Id be more ok with the slow grind if it wasn't reversed so easily through death. This is the only xp/money system I've ever seen where you actually LOSE progress with normal play through (not betting or voluntarily taking chances)

Marleyman

Banned

I think they are looking at this as a long term thing. I haven't once felt the urge to buy GTA money with real life dough; I enjoy the time it is taking to work my way up. I guess I am different in that I am not looking to get to the top so quick after release.

Plasmid

Pretty frustrating we don't even have an ETA for when the cloud server bullshit will be fixed yet they're patching everything else.

Marleyman

Banned
You forgot losing thousands on death. Id be more ok with the slow grind if it wasn't reversed so easily through death. This is the only xp/money system I've ever seen where you actually LOSE progress with normal play through (not betting or voluntarily taking chances)

Losing that much for dying is one of the worst decisions they made with this online structure; it makes no sense.

I think they are looking at this as a long term thing. I haven't once felt the urge to buy GTA money with real life dough; I enjoy the time it is taking to work my way up. I guess I am different in that I am not looking to get to the top so quick after release.

Don't get me wrong. I'm never buying GTA money. I just don't like how the game seems to be built around it. I wonder how they are going to limit the stock market once that releases. Only buy 10 shares per stock?

Evil Beaver

Survival is damn fun as well. 3 of us got to the last level and we were crushing it. We get to the last level and my 2 buddies died early on doing ridiculous things; one was trying to throw a grenade and blew himself up early; the other died as he became overwhelmed. I can't remember the name of the survival map, but I was on the roof putting it BIG work. 3 heli's swarm me and I am taking big damage. I pull out the mini gun, take 2 of the heli's out however the third finished me off. So damn good plus I believe the payout was $19,000.

OMG this sounds exactly like the experience I had on a survival match last night. I wonder if I was the overwhelmed party member, lol.

iFootball

Guys... guys... I just don't get what you want from the game.

How long you want the Online component to last???... you all want to be Level 90+ and have $10MM in the bank, with the best apartment, all weapons, etc. in the span of one week... REALLY?

Yes Rockstar is monetizing this component, and yes they are likely modding the game so it pushes us towards that.... but it is our fault if we're as greedy that we want it all in a short time

While you have no problem grinding the same mission over and over and over to get to that super-start status in the shortest time possible, many of you have a problem with the actual grinding that Rockstar intended for the game in the first place (real-cash or not)

...I'm sorry, many of you you come by as very whiny, are not enjoying the game at all by following that nonsense race-to-the-top to become the "only" player

TLDR: long rant...

Marleyman

Banned

How long you want the Online component to last???... you all want to be Level 90+ and have $10MM in the bank, with the best apartment, all weapons, etc. in the span of one week... REALLY?

Yes Rockstar is monetizing this component, and yes they are likely modding the game so it pushes us towards that.... but it is our fault if we're as greedy that we want it all in a short time

While you have no problem grinding the same mission over and over and over to get to that super-start status in the shortest time possible, many of you have a problem with the actual grinding that Rockstar intended for the game in the first place (real-cash or not)

...I'm sorry, many of you you come by as very whiny, are not enjoying the game at all by following that nonsense race-to-the-top to become the "only" player

Exactly what I have been saying; what is the rush?

Lima

Not long?

I want to be done with it soon. There are a lot of new games coming up plus the two new systems.

Ain't got time to do these lame ass fetch quests. Sure the heists sound cool on paper but so did the 500 unique missions and look how that turned out.

I have zero faith that R* will turn this into something so much fun that I still want to play this once Watch Dogs hits.

If Rockstar are nerfing the payouts then certain other measures need to be taken. Hospital bills need to be dropped down. It's incredibly frustrating to be put in a game where a group of friends are rolling around together just being absolute cunts. There's passive mode sure, but then I can't really do anything. It wouldn't be such a problem if it wasn't so expensive to die and it takes so long to build up cash.

I don't mind that it's long. Most AAA online games are very long to get to the top rank. The only thing I don't like is the fact that you can pay to make it faster, and the game is built to entice you to do so.

EDIT: Looking through the x360a forums, apparently the patch just lowered the money you get for missions. Guess they don't care if you get to the top rank fast as long as you don't have any money when you get there.

Marleyman

Banned
Not long?

I want to be done with it soon. There are a lot of new games coming up plus the two new systems.

Ain't got time to do these lame ass fetch quests. Sure the heists sound cool on paper but so did the 500 unique missions and look how that turned out.

I have zero faith that R* will turn this into something so much fun that I still want to play this once Watch Dogs hits.

lol go play Watch Dogs

Tawpgun

Agreed; it happens in stock car racing.

Me and my friend have shaked and baked to victory in a few races.

But yes, the money situation in this game needs to be fixed. Some of the missions aren't scaled right for the amount of effort and time and difficulty you put in, and the death penalty is brutal. I challenged someone to a one on one deathmatch and it won't give you any money for winning. Just lose money for dieing.

I want to do one of those sweet hold outs against the police, but fuck that. GTA Forums is gonna start their 16 vs SAPD games soon and I do not want to participate if it means losing money.

Makes me wary to trust people too. In GTAIV even with friendly fire on I would still interact with others. But here I fear for my bank account and kill anyone that gets too close.

Exactly what I have been saying; what is the rush?

It's not about a rush. It's about the ease with which you lose the money you gain. Dying in Free Roam can cost you as much as most missions <level 20 earn you. And with the ease that people can gank/kill you, it can amount to a very serious loss of monetary progression.

Take into account that you can't own more than one car until you buy a Garage (cheapest of which is $25K) and you're severely limited.

I can tell you right now that if there weren't missions that made >$3k, people would be doing nothing but Non-lethal Races and avoiding Free Roam to prevent loss of progress. There are many ways they could have fixed this though.

1. Make Hospital Bills come out of the cash you carry on-hand and limit deposits to physical ATMs. This way, if you can make it to an ATM to deposit, the money deposited is safe. I'm willing to bet people would rather go into a cash-on-hand debt from death rather than losing deposited money.

2. Balance mission payouts by difficulty. Short, easy drug deal raids should be low amounts and long arduous high-chance-of-death missions should pay considerably more. People are much less likely to farm high risk missions that take 10+ minutes per run with a full 4 man squad. Risk vs. Reward would still make them valuable however.

3. Allow players to have a Starter Apartment/Motel Room with 1 parking space, allowing for a single vehicle to be safely stored and 1 vehicle to be driven in the world simultaneously. The two biggest reasons at this point to own a home is for vehicle storage and safe havens. Giving players a really basic starting point for that would help alleviate the desire of players to farm missions.

None of those would trivialize the time it would need to take to level or gain money and that's just off the top of my head.

Marleyman

Banned
It's not about a rush. It's about the ease with which you lose the money you gain. Dying in Free Roam can cost you as much as most missions <level 20 earn you. And with the ease that people can gank/kill you, it can amount to a very serious loss of monetary progression.

What he was referencing and what I was as well was the rush to exploit things to get a ton of money and then what? I agree with you about dying in free roam, which is why I watch myself during it and avoid conflict.

Qwell

For me its not even the money, its the rank that annoys me. Everything is locked behind a gate, and one of the reasons people are complaining is because of the "unfair" advantage a high rank has. Which is a balance problem on Rockstars part. Go ahead and lock the high priced apartments and sports cars behind a rank gate. Lock certain weapon mods and perhaps the amount of ammo you can carry behind a rank gate. However not unlocking the rocket launcher until lvl 100 is absurd. No casual will be able to unlock that for months.

No matter what, people will play the crap out of this game and get lots of money and high ranks to be able to get those weapons. Whether it is an exploit, or simply grinding more than the next guy. But allow everyone to have an even chance. Most people are still running around with a knife and a pistol after playing for like 8 hours. So of course they are going to be at a disadvantage because of that. How about unlock more weapons early on, but just don't unlock the mods or additional ammo capacity.

People just got done playing single player where after about 20 hours they were basically gods, had everything under the sun to do. Now they are playing online and after 20 hours you will be lucky to have an assault rifle.

Take into account that you can't own more than one car until you buy a Garage (cheapest of which is $25K) and you're severely limited.

I can tell you right now that if there weren't missions that made >$3k, people would be doing nothing but Non-lethal Races and avoiding Free Roam to prevent loss of progress. There are many ways they could have fixed this though.

1. Make Hospital Bills come out of the cash you carry on-hand and limit deposits to physical ATMs. This way, if you can make it to an ATM to deposit, the money deposited is safe. I'm willing to bet people would rather go into a cash-on-hand debt from death rather than losing deposited money.

2. Balance mission payouts by difficulty. Short, easy drug deal raids should be low amounts and long arduous high-chance-of-death missions should pay considerably more. People are much less likely to farm high risk missions that take 10+ minutes per run with a full 4 man squad. Risk vs. Reward would still make them valuable however.

3. Allow players to have a Starter Apartment/Motel Room with 1 parking space, allowing for a single vehicle to be safely stored and 1 vehicle to be driven in the world simultaneously. The two biggest reasons at this point to own a home is for vehicle storage and safe havens. Giving players a really basic starting point for that would help alleviate the desire of players to farm missions.

None of those would trivialize the time it would need to take to level or gain money and that's just off the top of my head.

Very good post. I agree that there should of been a starter apt and garage for players.

I think this result was inevitable when Rockstar decided to place draconian death penalties in the game. People raced for the cash as quick as possible, because they knew Rockstar would be closing the loopholes and they'd be left with a bigger grind plus the existing death penalties.

Not long?

Online games don't ever end. Also I'm looking forward to Watch Dogs but how long do you think that game will last, really? R* will still be adding new modes and (maybe) new locations in the future. So you're trying to rush to lvl 100 by exploiting the game is pointless. Just stop playing now.

What he was referencing and what I was as well was the rush to exploit things to get a ton of money and then what? I agree with you about dying in free roam, which is why I watch myself during it and avoid conflict.

You're attributing a rush to "exploit" (farming is not exploiting, though exploiting did eventually happen apparently with the 30 second runs) to all people who farmed. I'm telling you that most people who farmed did so because of how easily you lose money, how in-proportionate the mission rewards are, and because you can't so much as have two cars without dropping $25k (at least) on a garage.

If those issues were fixed the amount of people who farmed would be considerably less and there would've been no reason to eliminate the replay function.

Edit: It's also not that easy to avoid being ganked. People can/do camp LS Customs, stores (Ammunations/Clothing/Tattoo/etc.), Apartment buildings, and even the mission exit points. Passive only prevents you from being shot when not in a car. You can still be run over. Literally the only safe place to be in a non Private/Solo room is in an Apartment, which further provides desire to own one.

Its like they are patching out ways for people to earn money. I am fine if they limited the amount of replays you can do per mission a day or if they make a cooldown on how often an expensive mission shows up but it feels like the guys playing with friends trying to earn enough for an Apt are the ones getting punished. 3k is a paltry sum for getting your friends to join, and completing a mission.

Honestly feel they are nerfing the payout to punish the farmers but its effecting the casuals that have maybe 2 hours a day and making their "pay for ingame cash" seem scummier.

Gaz_RB

For me its not even the money, its the rank that annoys me. Everything is locked behind a gate, and one of the reasons people are complaining is because of the "unfair" advantage a high rank has. Which is a balance problem on Rockstars part. Go ahead and lock the high priced apartments and sports cars behind a rank gate. Lock certain weapon mods and perhaps the amount of ammo you can carry behind a rank gate. However not unlocking the rocket launcher until lvl 100 is absurd. No casual will be able to unlock that for months.

No matter what, people will play the crap out of this game and get lots of money and high ranks to be able to get those weapons. Whether it is an exploit, or simply grinding more than the next guy. But allow everyone to have an even chance. Most people are still running around with a knife and a pistol after playing for like 8 hours. So of course they are going to be at a disadvantage because of that. How about unlock more weapons early on, but just don't unlock the mods or additional ammo capacity.

People just got done playing single player where after about 20 hours they were basically gods, had everything under the sun to do. Now they are playing online and after 20 hours you will be lucky to have an assault rifle.

I don't think RPGs and higher level weapons are as important as you think they are. If you use them against players, odds are you'll end up in bad sport land with the rest of the higher level players.

Top Bottom