• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Tc91

Omfg are you kidding me? I've been labelled as a bad sport because I accidentally blew up my buddies car during a mission and now the massive group of friends that got together to have a night of GTA are now off limits to me...

Alright sure I've blown up a lot of peoples cars but jeeeeeez, I've free roamed for hours, you get into car chases, you blow each other up, why should I not be able to play the game how I want?

Does this last 2 in game days or 2 actual days? -.-

Same with me man, the whole bad sport thing is just fucking dumb. In a game like GTA for doing stuff which you do in GTA being cut off from friends is so so stupid.

Why couldn't they of just gone with a vote kick system or something?

Derrick01

Banned
Same with me man, the whole bad sport thing is just fucking dumb. In a game like GTA for doing stuff which you do in GTA being cut off from friends is so so stupid.

Why couldn't they of just gone with a vote kick system or something?

Yeah I've been warned a bunch of times that I did a bad sport behavior and could end up being branded one. The problem is every time I've been warned it's because I either had to unplug my ps3 thanks to a lock up during Online or some Rockstar server issue booted me and my friends and when I came back it said I left early. It's beyond incompetent that's for sure.

-Deimos

Omfg are you kidding me? I've been labelled as a bad sport because I accidentally blew up my buddies car during a mission and now the massive group of friends that got together to have a night of GTA are now off limits to me...

Alright sure I've blown up a lot of peoples cars but jeeeeeez, I've free roamed for hours, you get into car chases, you blow each other up, why should I not be able to play the game how I want?

Does this last 2 in game days or 2 actual days? -.-

There should be some sort of forgiveness option for the person who's car got blow up. Why didn't Rockstar think of this in the first place?

Dug

Banned
Does 1.03 fix losing your character?
Update: No it didn't. Character is gone but bank money is still there.

If you have previously created a character but see an empty character selection screen when entering GTA Online, please back out to GTAV Story Mode and try re-entering GTA Online through the pause menu (repeat or wait until Rockstar cloud servers are back up). Do not create a new character in the empty slot where your character should be.

Sooooo I shouldn't make a new character?

There should be some sort of forgiveness option for the person who's car got blow up. Why didn't Rockstar think of this in the first place?

There shouldn't even be a need for that. Its GTA what do people expect? Charge people a fee for blowing up a car and that should be the end of it.

BraXzy

Awesome.. it lasts 2 full real days. So I definately can't play with my friends who only ever get together all at once like this every few weeks. Thanks Rockstar!

minx

Is there a concensus best 4 door car or SUV I should find and get insurance on? I ahem the 2 door Chrysler Crossfire lookomg cat now. Sucks for missions with 3 or more people.

Two part question:

1. Is there any way to change your crew tag (the 4 letter plate) after the crew has been created?

2. If R* deems said tag offensive then do they just delete the crew or just make you change it?

edit: looks like they flat out delete it

Marleyman

Banned
I'm only 23 and I'm constantly getting that "now what" feeling. This game is shockingly boring mostly thanks to Rockstar's decisions to fill this with F2P bullshit. I was trying to grind seemingly forever for my first apartment, finally was able to get it (for "only" 130k) when I found out you could exploit that Martin $9000 mission over and over (the normal way I'm always restocking grenades and sticky bombs, which cost $250 each and $600 each respectively. It was hard to make decent money like that), then I noticed it was just a shitty apartment that was smaller than the one I actually lived in when I was growing up. I worked for hours to get that only to say "....that's it? Now what?".

I think the whole playing with friends and the experiences during missions/races/deathmatches/etc is getting lost amidst the complaints. The complaints are valid, for the most part. I just think that the experiences with a good group of fans, those moments that happen are what this online mode is going to be remembered for.

Derrick01 said:
There's just no point in doing anything in this game. They've made everything feel like a chore to do and with each nerf of something good the players discovered it kills morale even more. It's like they're sweatshop owners and they're whipping us to get back to grinding for 17 hours a day to make next to nothing. If I'm lucky after a day I could afford to spend $20,000 on a fucking different colored parachute.

Yeah, I hope..as Rockstar has said, that they will be responsive to the community's concern with the game and update accordingly.

ZenVolta

So I managed to save up enough money to buy an apartment, and my friend and I were messing around the stuff inside. We ended up finding the shower, and absolute hilarity ensued. From what I have read, this was definitely a glitch. I loaded up my capture card and snapped a few screens.

Im disturbed and intrigued by the singing bar at the bottom lolz

Tawpgun

Bad Sport system seems like it truly is REALLY dumb.

Is there a concensus best 4 door car or SUV I should find and get insurance on? I ahem the 2 door Chrysler Crossfire lookomg cat now. Sucks for missions with 3 or more people.

I have a Sultan and love it.

Marleyman

Banned
I just looked at Rockstar's GTA Online trailer again. It made me think of the Real Movie Trailer channel on youtube where a guy makes a honest trailer on different movies. I would love to see a honest GTA Online trailer, if one is made, when the "or you can cruse around to show off" part comes up there has to be someone shooting the dudes that are riding and have voice chat saying, "Hey man we had passive on, what the fuc.." (cut to next scene).

Haha; that would be great. I just got done watching it again; makes it seem so cool, everyone getting along, etc.

Marleyman

Banned
So I managed to save up enough money to buy an apartment, and my friend and I were messing around the stuff inside. We ended up finding the shower, and absolute hilarity ensued. From what I have read, this was definitely a glitch. I loaded up my capture card and snapped a few screens.

brazzers

eival

bZJGPU8.jpg

that's 75% of Black Ops 2 total sales in 1 week

i mistakenly used Black Ops 2 thinking every COD title just increases each year but its sales are actually lower than Modern Warfare 3 which is the best selling game to date on both platforms (excluding Kinectimals)

Grand Theft Auto 5: 20,491,097
Modern Warfare 3: 15,115,091

first 2 weeks

Batigol

Banned
You really should get money for killing people in free roam. I mean you lose 2k when you kill them/they kill you so you should at least get something

Actually felt bad killing someone today :(

Stopped after the 10th time as he had no weapons

So uh yeah, the insurance company number is no longer in my phone. What do I do?

From my experience, whatever car you had before the number disappeared is gone for good. Had it happen to a car I put 100k into, I wept. Also, if you purchase a paint job for a car, it does not stay unlocked. You have to repay if you ever want to try a different color.

Wow....

I really wish they would tell you that buying one property will replace another of the same type...
Just lost the garage I got for free with the social club by buying one with the exact same capacity. I wanted to double up and have more cars but instead I'm in the exact same situation and without a penny.

GTAO is fun, but there's just so much wrong with it right now.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if you didn't earn absolute pittance from just about everything and lose so much for dying. Guess I should invest some real cash and buy some GTA$, right? Fuck that.

ZenVolta

For People missing the Mors contact. Get a cheap car. Put full coverage on it. After that the Mors number will reappear.

Yay im being helpful =)

Marleyman

Banned
Wow....

I really wish they would tell you that buying one property will replace another of the same type...
Just lost the garage I got for free with the social club by buying one with the exact same capacity. I wanted to double up and have more cars but instead I'm in the exact same situation and without a penny.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if you didn't earn absolute pittance from just about everything and lose so much for dying. Guess I should invest some real cash and buy some GTA$, right? Fuck that.

Which is the free garage w/ Social Club? I have a free one however I thought it was for buying the Collectors Edition...

Palocca

I agree that some missions need to be worth more, but i have no problem with Vile Duct mission being lowered to 3K. It's also really easy to make money by just doing the races/parachute jumps with a group of friends. I made $75K just messing around with my friends a couple nights ago.

Yeah, I honestly didn't have a problem with VD being lowered. I even understand why Rockstar patched out the R2/RT restart (although I do think they could've handled the exploits without removing that function).

My biggest problem with online is the fact that so much is locked behind the RP system. I get that the "carrot-on-a-stick" progression system is common amongst all online games, but come on. Some of the weapons should be unlocked WAY earlier than they are presently. Add to the fact that you have to buy ammo constantly, the game just feels like there are two paywalls of sorts.

Then again, I might just be playing wrong. It seems like you're really benefiting from playing with friends. I've mostly been playing with randoms, so it hasn't been easy for me to level and/or get cash.

BraXzy

So it is irl time and not in game hours.

That sucks.

Yup! I wouldn't mind the idea as such if it didn't exclude you from your friends. Ok sure exclude me from random people because I am "reckless" or whatever, but if a friend invites you, or you invite a friend, they are clearly accepting any bad sportsmanship you may have because they don't care. Why should I not be able to join a lobby, that is PRIVATE when I am invited? So dumb!

Derrick01

Banned
I think the whole playing with friends and the experiences during missions/races/deathmatches/etc is getting lost amidst the complaints. The complaints are valid, for the most part. I just think that the experiences with a good group of fans, those moments that happen are what this online mode is going to be remembered for.

Yeah my friends are mostly telling me they just want to free roam but because Rockstar locked so much behind the level system, and because we get penalized so hard for dying, it's really stopping us from just running around and doing whatever like in GTA 4. We're not being creative and exploring because we're too busy doing GTA 4-like missions to level up to unlock things that should already be available (like why did we have to get to ~6 just to unlock tennis/golf?).

I feel like they let the allure of the constant F2P money stream and features get in the way of typical GTA fun. They don't even let us do missions how we want because it might be too easy and thus not keep us occupied enough, meaning we'd make money too fast. For example on a tough mission where we had to collect drugs I had finally leveled enough to buy grenades so I told my friends "don't worry it'll be easy now"....except you can't blow up the vehicles by the drugs because it blows up with them. So we were stuck doing it the slow, difficult way again.

You really should get money for killing people in free roam. I mean you lose 2k when you kill them/they kill you so you should at least get something

Actually felt bad killing someone today :(

Stopped after the 10th time as he had no weapons
This is why I play freeroam only in private sessions.

Pretty sure that is a glitch... I bought an apt, my friend was showering, and it said "Someone is in the bathroom" and didn't let me in. That's awesome tho.

Does 1.03 fix losing your character?

Some have reported their lost characters restored. Nobody has reported additional lost characters since 1.03.

Although, for most, since the network issues have been (mostly) resolved, the character loss issue hasn't been happening.

Gaz_RB

Glad to see people here are getting to be higher levels and seeing how flawed the bad sport system really is.

I mean, not glad that they can't play with their friends for two days, of course. But glad that some attention is being called to the awful system. It seriously needs a revamp. Blowing up cars should not lead to locking you out of features.

aro52

Bought 0504 S. Mo. Milton Dr. for $141K last night. Decent mid-sized apartment (6 car garage), but sadly the windows are covered in drapes. :( Wish the listings had interior views. At least it comes stocked with whiskey, beer, and a giant TV!

For anyone who's gotten further in the "main" missions, does it ever expand beyond "shoot group of dudes, take car/drugs"? Bring on the real heists!

Defyler

It seems like a waste of time to play free roam if you're trying to save for an apartment.

When you spawn into free roam with people after a mission and they kill you (especially with a car as you're trying to bank your cash) the respawn is so close that they can usually kill you 2-3 times consecutively.

Guess I'll be sticking to private and inv only free roams.

Tawpgun

Wow....

Wait, so if I have a 10 car garage apartment, can I buy a standalone garage?

The dark blue waves actually complete the logo.

Eh, I'd make it more obvious

GQman2121

Banned
I still think that the death penalty is just too high, even if payouts were higher or not, a single random death in free roam should never negate the total earnings from a mission... Especially because most low end missions (Ranks 0 - 14) are all pretty boring.

Most of the PvE missions are boring, stupid missions so far. Go to point A, kill guys, drive to point B. The only reason you would play them is to get money and RP. No sane person would ever play these missions for the fun of it because they are the lowest on the low of open world mission types.

But, when a single death results in a penalty that negates those very tedious missions, it makes the game tedious. The result is that nobody wants to have fun in the world or test the limits of the world. In GTAIV, in Free Roam, if someone drove by and shot me with a rocket launcher and it blew me and my vehicle into the air, I'd think to myself "oh man what a jerk!" and laugh about it, chasing the guy down to get my revenge. In GTAOnline, if someone does that to me, I am legitimately pissed because it just undid the time of doing boring PvE missions that you need in order to make the free roam enjoyable.

My reaction to getting randomly killed, now, is to get into a car and drive away as fast as possible from my other players... and to avoid every other player in the game.

The death tax is enormously high for an open world, sandbox game. And, on top of that, the activities that you do (missions) for making up for the death tax are largely really boring, dull activities.

I was very surrpised when I started the game and found out that you can't "hide" your blip like in RDR by crouching or not firing. I think those are all good ideas, except I also think the death penalty needs to be removed or there has to be a chaos-free-roam mode or something that allows you to enjoy yourself without the fear that 5 deaths in 10 seconds just undid 4 hours of gameplay.

If you remove the blips, or even set them to appear when you're outside a miles radius, the death trolls will plummet immediately. You're only dying so much because you're so exposed. Take away that crutch and everyone will be more cautious.

Top Bottom