• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Mononoke

Banned
Can't you just launch into a quick mission if someone approaches you to kill you? Like use your phone and click QUICK job - random (or pick Mission, Race, Deathmatch) - the game auto pulls you out of your spot and takes you to the new location.

Wouldn't that work?

And whats the point of stealth? I'm almost certain even when I'm sneaking my blip is on the map.

In deathmatch, anyway.

Anyone?

Can't you just launch into a quick mission if someone approaches you to kill you? Like use your phone and click QUICK job - random (or pick Mission, Race, Deathmatch) - the game auto pulls you out of your spot and takes you to the new location.

Wouldn't that work?

With how fast you die? No chance. That's why I just avoid everyone the best I can, which makes online pretty useless. You can't find out if someone is hostile until it's too late. It's why I wished they colored the blips. If you kill someone you turn red for a couple of minutes. That way you know whose got their finger on the trigger.

Arcteryx

I still wish there was a hardcore mode where blips were invisible unless someone called a bounty on you. It would REALLY up the stakes and make you constantly on the lookout for people following you. In that mode it would also keep the hospital bills and remove ANY amount of cash on your person(none of this $5000+ crap).

Also: day 2 of not being able to find an Obey Tailgater. I'm starting to consider deleting my lvl 25 so I can get it from the intro race...

And whats the point of stealth? I'm almost certain even when I'm sneaking my blip is on the map.

In deathmatch, anyway.

I actually do think that this works. If you are quiet in death match I am *pretty sure* your blip does not appear. Once you fire or run, your blip appears. I'll try to test it tonight with friends.

Why don't you have passive mode on...

Wouldn't that kinda fix it?

You can still be shot while you're driving and you can also be run over if you're in Passive. If people are habitual player killers, they're well aware of how to kill you even when you have Passive on.

Tawpgun

Is there any reason to scrape up the extra cash for the $400,000 apartment over the $373,000, $382,000 or $391,000?

The view and/or the location.

EDIT: If you're talking about the ones in the same building, I think some are higher up and MAY be looking in a different direction

Pompadour

I actually do think that this works. If you are quiet in death match I am *pretty sure* your blip does not appear. Once you fire or run, your blip appears. I'll try to test it tonight with friends.

Yes, entering stealth turns your icon grey in team deathmatch. I don't know if stealth has any effect in regular deathmatch, however.

I thought so too, but I think it depends on the mode. Last man standing works for stealth, but I was playing a standard FFA and they always knew where I was. Either way, the game is doing a bad job communicating if I'm hidden or not. And the lack of stealth has made deathmatches into a two button click to see who has the better internet connection.

Can't wait until I get survival modes and see what other missions there are. I'm so tired of grinding PvP missions.

The view is real time (can see other players) and each apartment does indeed have different views. The 201 and 205K Apartments for example are in a much shorter building and have parts of the views blocked by neighboring buildings. Everything else is the same though.

I've completely stopped playing the online portion of GTA:O because of the jackasses online who have nothing better to do than kill every other player they come across. I'm sticking to Solo, Crew, and Friend modes only and am now only playing with friends. As others have mentioned, grinding for money is tedious in this game and death penalties are too high when you're not earning too much for missions.

I mean sure, you can find ways around the money issues by just grinding the same mission over and over but the real money doesn't come unless you're optimizing everything you're doing (selling a 9k car every 48 minutes, playing with others to increase RP and money gain from a handful of missions, etc.). If you're swimming in money, the deaths wouldn't matter all that much. For the rest of us who don't have 6 hours a day to grind the same mission with the same 3 friends over and over, losing half of the money on average you earn for a mission sucks. Playing online with a group of random strangers is not something I've enjoyed so far with the rules currently in place.

I just chased someone for their bounty. They managed to jack an armored car, something I'd never seen before. You can imagine my surprise when I emptied entire clips into his window and detonated a sticky bomb to no effect. The issue was resolved with about a dozen more sticky bombs, and once he perished I could hear him bitching in a British accent. I normally play with Chat set to only Crew+Friends, but I switched it to Everyone so I could hear him. Good thing too because he and two of his pals on the server were going to come after me for revenge. Killed all of them repeatedly until they gave up hahaha. They didn't manage to kill me a single time, although the cops did once.

Passive does jack shit. I run everyone over who has it on because they think it's some magical kill prevention

Some people try to use passive to play possum/plan ambushes. I just driveby those people. Honestly I murder anyone who isn't crew/friend who comes within a 50 foot radius or tails me for a block or two. You need to learn to respect my personal space mkay

0_0.jpg

Looks decent in game, for some reason I can't use it on denim jackets yet...

Tawpgun

I've completely stopped playing the online portion of GTA:O because of the jackasses online who have nothing better to do than kill every other player they come across. I'm sticking to Solo, Crew, and Friend modes only and am now only playing with friends. As others have mentioned, grinding for money is tedious in this game and death penalties are too high when you're not earning too much for missions.

I mean sure, you can find ways around the money issues by just grinding the same mission over and over but the real money doesn't come unless you're optimizing everything you're doing (selling a 9k car every 48 minutes, playing with others to increase RP and money gain from a handful of missions, etc.). If you're swimming in money, the deaths wouldn't matter all that much. For the rest of us who don't have 6 hours a day to grind the same mission with the same 3 friends over and over, losing half of the money on average you earn for a mission sucks. Playing online with a group of random strangers is not something I've enjoyed so far with the rules currently in place.
I find the danger of free mode part of the appeal personally.

GTA Online isn't a hugs and friendship mode!

I'm pretty much sticking with invite only/friend sessions until I'm a high enough level with enough money that I don't care if I die. Fuck that being run over or blown up right when I spawn bullshit lol.

Public rooms are the absolute worst in this game.

My reaction to getting randomly killed, now, is to get into a car and drive away as fast as possible from my other players... and to avoid every other player in the game.

I learned this very quickly & started playing online solo only.

Of course, when tried entering a random game & it booted everyone instead of starting up. They caused me to start back in freemode with people, people who ALL spawned in the blue circle where the mission failed to load. It took about 2 seconds for everybody to realize this & start randomly shooting everyone without hesitation.

I couldn't take 2 steps before being shot in the back with a shotgun. Fuck Rockstar.

Ploid 3.0

Don't all your characters share the same money?

I suppose you can transfer all the money to the main character's wallet while in a apartment before using the "I don't care if I die" character.

I play solo, and the above post sounds crazy, it's the reason I play solo also. No time to lose the money I have. Especially after they nerfed legit ways to make money. Replaying a mission isn't a exploit, the sticky bomb Violent Duct trick was an exploit.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I suppose you can transfer all the money to the main character's wallet while in a apartment before using the "I don't care if I die" character.

Nope, even if you aren't holding a dollar 5% or 2k will be deducted from your bank account if you die.

Hale-XF11

Survived a whole day with a $9000 bounty on my head (and got the achievement for it) by getting into a chopper, climbing up as high as possible and just hovering in the air the whole time.

ZenVolta

If anyone is looking for a quick and easy way to rank up. Just run a race solo. You dont get any money but you get +1k RP for completing it. So just pick a short one.

Batigol

Banned
Why does TDM keep coming up when I click quick missions in my phone book? There's already a TDM option. If I wanted to play that I'd pick it. Gotten it three times in a row now.

Then I got kicked from a game because I didn't want to play some 3 v 1 game

Stupid

If anyone is looking for a quick and easy way to rank up. Just run a race solo. You dont get any money but you get +1k RP for completing it. So just pick a short one.

Criminal Records race with supercars. At least that's that I saw a YouTube video suggest.

Sucks that you don't get any money, but it's probably worth doing this to gain some levels, especially for new people starting out. Getting to Level 5 to unlock the Micro SMG is a pretty big step towards being able to defend yourself in free roam.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
But will it deduct it from another character's wallet? I assumed only the bank money was shared, that's what he was getting at.

Any money that you bank is shared between players. If you load up another player with zero cash in the wallet once you die it will take money out of your bank. There is no getting around the death penalty.

Criminal Records race with supercars. At least that's that I saw a YouTube video suggest.

Sucks that you don't get any money, but it's probably worth doing this to gain some levels, especially for new people starting out. Getting to Level 5 to unlock the Micro SMG is a pretty big step towards being able to defend yourself in free roam.

Hmm.. I didn't realize that you still got 1000 xp for races by yourself. Interesting. So XP as a metric is completely useless.

Acorn

Why does TDM keep coming up when I click quick missions in my phone book? There's already a TDM option. If I wanted to play that I'd pick it. Gotten it three times in a row now.

Then I got kicked from a game because I didn't want to play some 3 v 1 game

Stupid
Those are the fake Missions that are the stars on the map. Some of them are fun (top fun) most are shit.

To he a bit more clear, you can not give money from one of your characters on hand to the other. You can only give money to players who are online, in the same lobby, and relatively close to you. You're also limited to 5k in player to player trade per day.

Sectus

Has anyone lost a character in the last 1-2 days? I'm curious if that's still a major problem or if it's under control.

I still think that the death penalty is just too high, even if payouts were higher or not, a single random death in free roam should never negate the total earnings from a mission... Especially because most low end missions (Ranks 0 - 14) are all pretty boring.

Most of the PvE missions are boring, stupid missions so far. Go to point A, kill guys, drive to point B. The only reason you would play them is to get money and RP. No sane person would ever play these missions for the fun of it because they are the lowest on the low of open world mission types.

But, when a single death results in a penalty that negates those very tedious missions, it makes the game tedious. The result is that nobody wants to have fun in the world or test the limits of the world. In GTAIV, in Free Roam, if someone drove by and shot me with a rocket launcher and it blew me and my vehicle into the air, I'd think to myself "oh man what a jerk!" and laugh about it, chasing the guy down to get my revenge. In GTAOnline, if someone does that to me, I am legitimately pissed because it just undid the time of doing boring PvE missions that you need in order to make the free roam enjoyable.

My reaction to getting randomly killed, now, is to get into a car and drive away as fast as possible from my other players... and to avoid every other player in the game.

The death tax is enormously high for an open world, sandbox game. And, on top of that, the activities that you do (missions) for making up for the death tax are largely really boring, dull activities.

I was very surrpised when I started the game and found out that you can't "hide" your blip like in RDR by crouching or not firing. I think those are all good ideas, except I also think the death penalty needs to be removed or there has to be a chaos-free-roam mode or something that allows you to enjoy yourself without the fear that 5 deaths in 10 seconds just undid 4 hours of gameplay.

I agree with you 100%
The death tax discourages fun and player interaction, but we all know its not going anywhere because R* want to sell as much virtual cash as they can. GTA online feels very much like a FTP game to me. EVERYTHING costs money. And money can be difficult or montomous to attain.
I avoid white dots like the plague, when Im in free roam, because almost all of them will try to kill me. That doesnt create a good social experience.
Tonight when I play, I am going to set up a private free roam game and just try to get public groups of people together for missions. I hope it will work.

jediyoshi

Any money that you bank is shared between players. If you load up another player with zero cash in the wallet once you die it will take money out of your bank. There is no getting around the death penalty.

Still think you're missing the distinction here. You have $10,000 in the bank. You transfer the bank funds to Character 1's wallet.

You play as Character 2 and die. Does money come out of Character 1's wallet or is the entirety of your account's money always pooled together?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
My honest opinion... is that this MP is very poorly designed and (mechanically) a huge failure.

Top Bottom