• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

jediyoshi

aOrBNfY.png

Dammit, let me be first at something

those aren't the missions you're looking for (even though they're called missions)

do the stuff people email you

Yeah, referring to the deathmatch jobs as "missions" was a crazy oversight.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Did it lower your opinion of people in general?
Or is it the constant taxation of pretty much everything you do?
Or the bugs & glitches?
Or the connection errors and session/job joining issues?
Or the focus of R* on nerfing missions to encourage the purchase of in-game dollars?
Or the character loss fiasco?

I'm having a lot of fun playing missions with friends but the griefers are horrible. We get a bit of satisfaction out of making them regret killing us but I don't really enjoy being shot in the back during moments of complete vulnerability like buyings items at Ammunation or using your phone to deposit money, etc.

Re: NGAF (PS3 GTAO crew)
I'm still in the crew but no one from GAF ever responds to my invites (the exception of WhatRobEats) so I play with another crew that backs each other up, hangs out and generally has a lot of fun.

It's a combination of those factors and others. End of the day it just doesn't appeal to me. Which is fine, I can see how others might get a bunch of enjoyment out of it. Just pushes all the wrong buttons for me.

Tawpgun

Lol yea. I don't know his GAF name but his PSN was cod something.

Yea I was thinking the same thing at the time. Now I just think it's kinda funny still fucked up though. Maybe we should implement a three strikes rule for the crew?

We should. GAF St, NeoGANG, GAF Bay all those gaf crews should roll together as allies.

Besides, the crews need to be trimmed. In a month or so you should cut people who are inactive. Lurkers as well.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
To those complaining about griefers or getting killed idling, why not play in an invite only session or jump between invite only and public?

redhot_

To those complaining about griefers or getting killed idling, why not play in an invite only session or jump between invite only and public?

I envy the people who can put up with the randoms in free mode. 58 levels in and I joined 6 or so public free modes to hear children chewing on their mics or e-thugs yelling at each other.

Tawpgun

I envy the people who can put up with the randoms in free mode. 58 levels in and I joined 6 or so public free modes to hear children chewing on their mics or e-thugs yelling at each other.

Best part.

Love raggin on people.

"You a pussy bitch"

"FIGHT ME"

GQman2121

Banned
Made a new character last night and reached level 8 within a few hours. Ran into only one person who was looking to beef with my woefully under armed character, but there was a really nice group on people with mics in the room and they came to my rescue. There are good people out there if you're able to communicate with them.

Still hoping my lvl 20 will reappear at some point. Her stats are now combined with my new girl on the social site which is just weird.

Eh, it's far more fun with randoms. That's where the truly unique experiences come from. Sure, the death penalty sucks, but it's worth it.

That's because you're not playing the missions given to you by your contacts.

To be fair, 90% of the missions given to you by your contacts are terrible, from Ranks 0 - 15. Once you get to 16, there is some variety. But, even at 20, I haven't done a good multiplayer mission yet, some that just suck less than others.

The majority are drive here, shoot gang members, take item, drive back.

It's like the GTA IV of online modes.

Is it possible to start Crew-only sessions? I'd love to play with only other GAF members who have mics and aren't 11.

Yep, while in single player, pause the game. Go to Online -> Play GTA Online (the last choice in the menu). It gives you a few options there and you can decide how you want to play.. friends only, party, crew, crew + other crews, etc.

RdN

Alright, after a week of losing my character, I just created a new one.

Let's face it, guys.. We're not getting our old ones back.

Tawpgun

Why play crew only sessions?

Just join any sessions, get a few crew members together and roll around helping each other and capping griefers.

If other voices annoy you set chat to crew+friends

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Yep, while in single player, pause the game. Go to Online -> Play GTA Online (the last choice in the menu). It gives you a few options there and you can decide how you want to play.. friends only, party, crew, crew + other crews, etc.

For crew only how does it work? Will it invite members of your crew that are online to the session or will it jump you into a crew only session that is available?

kris.

Banned
Why play crew only sessions?

Just join any sessions, get a few crew members together and roll around helping each other and capping griefers.

If other voices annoy you set chat to crew+friends

Because I don't trust randoms whatsoever. And I feel like an asshole when I run into one and my first instinct is to riddle him with bullets. I find my crew members to be much nicer people.

I had just learned about, and starting doing, the Base Invaders mission grind when the patch went up at 5am.

Damn it! Still a good haul though, got myself the best apartment and a nice new Grotti to play with.

Gnub

For crew only how does it work? Will it invite members of your crew that are online to the session or will it jump you into a crew only session that is available?

I just starts me in a session that crew can join. I haven't had anyone else in my games so far. I thought it was broken.

Tawpgun

Because I don't trust randoms whatsoever. And I feel like an asshole when I run into one and my first instinct is to riddle him with bullets. I find my crew members to be much nicer people.

Well not sure if its just me but I only get a max of like 3 other crew members ever being in one session.

redhot_

Eh, it's far more fun with randoms. That's where the truly unique experiences come from. Sure, the death penalty sucks, but it's worth it.

Ya, Iv been running through all the missions with my crew seeing where they go. I should probably try to drag them into a public room to cause some shit.

Also, fun moment I had today involved me getting my brand new Grotti blown up with sticky explosives. I doubled back to where the offender was after about 5 minutes of calling insurance and collecting my car. The griefer was getting his little junker tuned up at the mod shop, so I laid down 3 stickies by the exit and waited for him to pull out. He did, and I detonated my trap, seeing his car explode into pieces. To my dismay, he was alive due to a period of invincibility leaving the shop, but I quickly pulled out my AR and went to town.

Those are some of the best aspects to the free roam elements in this game, how revenge and aggression all come together in some of these interactions.

-Deimos

The other day I went into a mod shop with a bounty on my head knowing I'd have people outside waiting for me. I could hear two or three guys talking about "getting the guy with a $9000 bounty" so after I was done pimping out my bike, I prepared to get gangbanged by them. Instead I found them organizing some elaborate ambush involving fire trucks while rambling with each other over their mics. I made a run for it and made it back to my safehouse before one of them realized I had left.

todahawk

we've been running some crew only sessions and having fun but we usually end the evening with an open session that always turns into 3-4 of our crew retaliating against griefers.

i don't like the paranoia or the death tax of playing with randoms but it can be a bit cathartic to chase one of those fuckers down and make him miserable enough that he leaves the session and hopefully regrets shooting me in the back while buying ammo and weapons at Ammu*Nation.

also love when lower level griefers don't realize I have sticky bombs and a sniper rifle. long distance tap on the shoulder.

Yikes; that sucks man. I don't even want to install it due to me not finishing SP yet.

The only thing I can think of is that I had a quick save as michael that conflicted with the update in some way. Just make sure you have a "hard save" having one of the characters sleep at their homes. That is at least my theory.

kris.

Banned
we've been running some crew only sessions and having fun but we usually end the evening with an open session that always turns into 3-4 of our crew retaliating against griefers.

i don't like the paranoia or the death tax of playing with randoms but it can be a bit cathartic to chase one of those fuckers down and make him miserable enough that he leaves the session and hopefully regrets shooting me in the back while buying ammo and weapons at Ammu*Nation.

also love when lower level griefers don't realize I have sticky bombs and a sniper rifle. long distance tap on the shoulder.

can we be friends pls

Most I've gotten from Criminal Records is 825 I think but it's only 30 seconds long or less. If there's another short race that offers more XP I'd like to know. I should test to see if vehicle class changes it, how fast you complete it seems to.

Try Downtown Underground. You can finish in under 1:20 with bikes or Supers. I get 1150 RP per race with Supers and you can earn additional RP in the middle of the race by doing a stunt jump off the bridge. It's the fastest way to earn RP that I've found.

todahawk

can we be friends pls

Are you in PS3 GAF's GTAO crew? Your PSN id looks familiar... either way I'll send ya an FR when I get home.

edit:
I also love the confusion that differences in elevation create. Had some ass chasing me and chasing me (I was on foot, he was in his car) and I ducked down this alley and hopped over a wall and hit R1 to use it as cover. The dude coudn't find me and couldn't see the change in elevation (i guess it was too dark) and walked right up to the wall and stood there looking around. I hit R1 to release cover, turned around, aimed my sawed off shotty up and started slowly backing up until I saw his head. BOOM. He didn't follow me any more.

Top Bottom