• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

So I finally leveled up to 17 & finally got the mission Violent Ducts & got a lousy $3,000.

It took FOREVER to level up, how the hell did people level up so quickly before Rockstar nerfed the mission?

So what is the fastest/easiest way to Rank Up.

Money is 2nd important now, as I am slowly grinding for it, but can't buy jack because all the weapons are locked until level 25, level 50, level 120.
Might be years before I can use the mini chaingun.

fastest way to level is races and survival.. you're very close to survival. Races give you a ton of XP during the race, every point you go through gives you 10 I think

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
So apparently setting the race time to Personal instead of World Record gives tons of RP, and winning races with Super cars can unlock mods for all classes, so right now I'm just doing 1 lap races on Criminal Record to level up and to unlock upgrades.

louiedog

The vote to kick from freeroam really sucks. Flying around with 4 friends robbing convience stores, and someone votes ot kick me (the pilot) out of the game. Very lame.. All my friends crash. It's funny once or twice, but totally ridiculous. Can't imagine why Rockstar would ever let a minority of people vote someone out of a free lobby ...

I've been kicked a couple of times without having done anything that might anger even one person in the session. It's annoying that it sends you out to single player rather than a new session because the loads are fairly long. What's worse is both times after coming back in I was warned that I'd previous left a job early and would be labeled a bad sport if it continued. I wasn't in a job in either instance where I'd been kicked and to the best of my knowledge have never left a job early. The voting system could use a tweak.

Gaz_RB

The vote to kick from freeroam really sucks. Flying around with 4 friends robbing convience stores, and someone votes ot kick me (the pilot) out of the game. Very lame.. All my friends crash. It's funny once or twice, but totally ridiculous. Can't imagine why Rockstar would ever let a minority of people vote someone out of a free lobby ...

And now I cant get back into my friends' game... Who the hell ever thought up this ridiculously stupid kick system.

Same genius who thought the bad sport system was a great idea.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Shot in the dark but I've emailed Rockstar PR and Community managers for an exemption to the crew limit for NeoGAF on GTAO.

We'll see if they get back with me. If so hopefully we can accommodate all requests to join the Official GAF crew and alleviate some of the frustrations of myself and everyone else that would like to join.

Imm0rt4l

So I did some griefing last night, to my credit, this guy killed me twice for no reason as I was trying to handle my business. I just returned the favor 8 times over in a very short time. It was out in Blaine county, he'd spawn in the middle of nowhere and I was always there ready to pounce. I enjoyed it, forgive me gaf.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
1049.gif

Haha it does the job! Your guy looked pretty professional. Give him a mustache and slicked back hair and he might look like your avatar if he didn't look so much like Niko
I need to add you!

Lez do eet!

Same genius who thought the bad sport system was a great idea.

Yes, it's probably the worst two ideas of any online game ever made. That guy voting me out ended up making me lose about $10k too because it took 5 mins to get back into my friends' game... And in that time, some random guy decided ot kill me 3 times while I had the pause menu open ...

Good grief, GTA online some ideas are just so fucking stupid.

oneils

I just realised that I can't hear anyone's voice chat through my PS3 headset (not the pulse elite, but the one released before it).

I have audio extension turned on in the system settings. I have chat set to "everyone" in the the quick menu.

In the pause menu, what settings should I have on? Should I set output to headphones and "Voice through speakers" to "off?"

Gaz_RB

So I did some griefing last night, to my credit, this guy killed me twice for no reason as I was trying to handle my business. I just returned the favor 8 times over in a very short time. It was out in Blaine county, he'd spawn in the middle of nowhere and I was always there ready to pounce. I enjoyed it, forgive me gaf.

If it's for revenge, I wholeheartedly say do it. I have haha. People need to learn their lesson somehow.

I was posted up on this bridge messing around on top of my car sniping npcs out of their cars on the freeway, just for the hell of it, and I see this white dot heading towards me. I wasn't going to shoot him on sight or aim at him, (I never do unless it's a bounty), and he stopped and ran up to my car, looking what I was doing. I continued sniping and ignored him, but deep down I knew he was going to shoot me.
He did.
So for the next ten minutes I just chased him down and killed him. After I felt he was done, I went back to my apartment and sent him a text that said "I hope you learned your lesson"

He just sent me a text back that said "my bad". He was only like level 14 so I hope that I sent him forward into the rest of his GTA career as someone who doesn't just kill indiscriminately or because it's easy.

Revenge is so damn sweet in this game though.

So apparently setting the race time to Personal instead of World Record gives tons of RP, and winning races with Super cars can unlock mods for all classes, so right now I'm just doing 1 lap races on Criminal Record to level up and to unlock upgrades.

How do you set the race time to personal?
I thought you could only view those stats, not set them for a race???

Ding-Ding

I think I may have gone a bit over the top.

Server was full when I joined. After 3 cheapshots I started to get my own back. The server became a free for all and by the time it finished, the server only had 3 of us left (just let the other 2 be as they showed no hostility).

I cant speak French but I heard my name mentioned countless times. I doubt they were saying anything nice because their medical bills must be eye watering.

So one up for Brit Gaf laying the pain to the arch enemy the French

Imm0rt4l

If it's for revenge, I wholeheartedly say do it. I have haha. People need to learn their lesson somehow.

I was posted up on this bridge messing around on top of my car sniping npcs out of their cars on the freeway, just for the hell of it, and I see this white dot heading towards me. I wasn't going to shoot him on sight or aim at him, (I never do unless it's a bounty), and he stopped and ran up to my car, looking what I was doing. I continued sniping and ignored him, but deep down I knew he was going to shoot me.
He did.
So for the next ten minutes I just chased him down and killed him. After I felt he was done, I went back to my apartment and sent him a text that said "I hope you learned your lesson"

He just sent me a text back that said "my bad". He was only like level 14 so I hope that I sent him forward into the rest of his GTA career as someone who doesn't just kill indiscriminately or because it's easy.

Revenge is so damn sweet in this game though.
Yea, it's a great way to teach respect. And by that I mean a healthy fear of other players. 9 times out of 10 when I cross another player we're basically sizing eachother up and trying to get on our way.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
i opened a ticket with R* to allow us to have more than 300 members.

it sucks that a site as big as gaf is limited to 300. we could have a monster crew if they let us. that said i have the space to add you. PM me if you want in.

I have no idea how their support system works but if anyone can see this and upvote it, like, comment or whatever, please do.

http://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/requests/1199563

Tried to go to it, says solved or deleted.

Plasmid

What's the best way to get guns without paying? I know survival gives weapons but yesterday i had a lot more than what my level was and they disappeared besides the ones that were at my level.

So should i only be paying for weapon MODS?

Gaz_RB

Yea, it's a great way to teach respect. And by that I mean a healthy fear of other players. 9 times out of 10 when I cross another player we're basically sizing eachother up and trying to get on our way.

Exactly. Keep an eye on them and don't raise the gun.

So far, when you're in your car, it seems like the universal sign for "I'm not here to kill you" tends to be driving up and honking a lot. That's actually how I've made a few friends. Me and this random guy were both minding our own business in this clothes shop, just buying clothes like gangsters, and this guy bursts in and kills my clothes shop homie. I turn around in time to pop the guy in the head but I felt bad for the homie so I drove right towards where he spawned and started honking my horn, swinging the car around so the passenger side door was right next to him. He raised his gun for a second and then ended up hopping in. We chased down his killer a few more times, and then I brought him back to my apartment.

We ended up having a few drinks and watching tv. The guy that we killed a couple times was camped outside my apartment with a grenade launcher so I put a 9k bounty and sent some mercenaries after him, with me and clothes shop homie watching it all on tv. It was awesome. Eventually the guy just goes down and sleeps in my bed for like 15 minutes haha. It was the weirdest thing, especially because he had no mic.

But that feeling when you think they're cool and then they end up shooting you in the back is infuriating. I always have to kill them back a few times.

What's the best way to get guns without paying? I know survival gives weapons but yesterday i had a lot more than what my level was and they disappeared besides the ones that were at my level.

So should i only be paying for weapon MODS?

Yes, unless you have a lot of money to spare. Weapons you get from completed survival matches stay with you. You get to keep them after death/quitting the game if you're of the proper level.
Exactly. Keep an eye on them and don't raise the gun.

So far, when you're in your car, it seems like the universal sign for "I'm not here to kill you" tends to be driving up and honking a lot.

This is really unreliable though. Last night, another GAFer (different clan than me) blew me up because he had a bounty and was hiding in the driveway to my garage. We had completed a couple missions together earlier and I know had my mic on. I'd even killed a guy who was chasing after him earlier.

I was in my car, driving toward him slowly, saying that I was a fellow GAFer and he still blew me up after all that. There needs to be 1) a better way of identifying one's crew and 2) no friendly fire among clans or between other specified clans or 3) a serious reduction in hospital bill costs, or even getting rid of them altogether. This shouldn't be like Day Z where you're constantly paranoid about who's friend or foe because it's not that kind of game.

I'm going to host a Criminal Records race, hopefully for 9k RP.

Also can I get a invite to Gaming Age Family crew. Heard then thinned out a bit and have a few open spots.

Gaz_RB

This is really unreliable though. Last night, another GAFer (different clan than me) blew me up because he had a bounty and was hiding in the driveway to my garage. We had completed a couple missions together earlier and I know had my mic on. I'd even killed a guy who was chasing after him earlier.

I was in my car, driving toward him slowly, saying that I was a fellow GAFer and he still blew me up after all that. There needs to be 1) a better way of identifying one's crew and 2) no friendly fire among clans or between other specified clans or 3) a serious reduction in hospital bill costs, or even getting rid of them altogether. This shouldn't be like Day Z where you're constantly paranoid about who's friend or foe because it's not that kind of game.

Wow that guy sounds like a jerk.

I agree that it's pretty unreliable. But in my longing to have some honor among thieves and not kill everyone I meet, I take what I can get haha. There are a few things I think could help with this.

I agree that there should be no friendly fire among clans (although this leads to the problem of "what if we just want to screw around", which is made even worse by hospital bills and a lack of no true "mess around" free roam mode), as that would solve the problem I keep having of pistol whipping homies in the back of the head while we rob liquor stores together. And also, like you said, just like there are crew rivalries, there should be crew allies that also fall under the no friendly fire rules.

I also think they should put in a flag system where you can put yourself under friendly or hostile depending on how you want to play. There should be penalties for not following your flag or violating someone else's friendly flag. Maybe that could be what they put the awful bad sport system into use for.

I've also been having this idea that they should also have the killer pay the hospital bills instead of the victim, a lot like how the personal car insurance system works. And make the amount you pay vary depending on the difference in levels between you and someone else.

Of course, all these ideas have flaws, and maybe Rockstar just decided not to mess with it. Ultimately though, I'm having a lot of fun with free roam as it is, the murderous players make nice objectives for me and whoever I'm rolling with at the time. And they tend to bring a lot of spontaneity into free roam gameplay, as there really isn't all that much to do. I'd like a lot more random events like crate drops and trucks and Simeon cars so people have an actual objective to fight over instead of random killing.

It's funny that you compare it to Day-Z, because I've made that comparison a lot. Side note: a separate mode added by DLC that functions like Day-Z would be awesome. Turn off the minimap, having to eat and drink, more enterable buildings, tense encounters with players. Could be cool.

So frustrating, just sold my first vehicle to Simeon, I saw there was someone nearby, so I used passive mode to don't have any problems, I sold the car, and right when I exit he ran over me killing me, then he killed me again once I respawn. I hid from him, I was so frustrated that I quite my passive mode to call Lester and put 10k to his head... then after 10 seconds I was kicked from the game. I lost around 25k in less than 2 minutes.

I just began playing (again, after my character was deleted) yesterday, so I lost half the money I had in the bank.

=/

DogMeat77

So frustrating, just sold my first vehicle to Simeon, I saw there was someone nearby, so I used passive mode to don't have any problems, I sold the car, and right when I exit he ran over me killing me, then he killed me again once I respawn, and hide from him, I was so frustrated that I exit passive mode call Lester and put 10k to his head... then after 10 seconds I was kicked from the game. I lost around 25k in less than 2 minutes.

I just began playing (again, after my character was deleted) yesterday, so I lost half the money I had in the bank.

=/

Yeah passive mode is just paying $100 to not use any weapons. Pretty much pointless unless you like the challenge of not being able to shoot back.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Anyone want to trade races on the 360? Criminal Records, 1 lap, Super cars, and Personal times so we get RP, too. I need to win 28 more races to unlock the last Engine.

Wow that guy sounds like a jerk.

I sent him a message saying who I was afterward and he apologized, offering to let me get his bounty. He was so focused on killing anyone who came to him (the other guy who was going after him was down the street). If he didn't recognize my name, there was no way to tell I was friendly. My blip is white, just like everyone else's. He may have had no headset or chat turned off; you can't tell who's in what clan without checking the map or looking at the player list. Also, the NGTT clan tag is hard to recognize as being related to "NeoGAF", partly why I want to get into the original PS3 clan.

If you don't want to risk getting killed by others, you'll probably kill potential friends because of how fast you have to react. There needs to be other means of identification at least. There should be friendly-fire options for all modes.

Lima

I have already spent 12 million. Shit is expensive in this game. Made 10 mil from Rooftop Rumble. Looks funny under stats on the social club though.

AReed

Who here isn't exploiting the game or farming missions besides me?

I feel like I'm the only one who is actually playing the game lol. I have like 40k on lvl 12 and still only have my Sabre with no garage.

Life of a hustler. Though I can't wait to get that stimulus package so I can get a luxury apartment and a few car mods.

Jomtos

Neo Member

I feel like I'm the only one who is actually playing the game lol. I have like 40k on lvl 12 and still only have my Sabre with no garage.

Life of a hustler. Though I can't wait to get that stimulus package so I can get a luxury apartment and a few car mods.

Same here, but already have apartment.

Romez

Haven't farmed, just playing missions as they're given, saved 150k thus far and level 18. Kind of slowed down though as i'm not being given missions anymore and i can't request them.

oneils

Haven't farmed, just playing missions as they're given, saved 150k thus far and level 18. Kind of slowed down though as i'm not being given missions anymore and i can't request them.

I think you can call Lester, Gerald, or Lamar from your contact list and they will give you another mission.

Also, in your phone, you can go to quick jobs and join a mission from there.

edit: unless you mean that does not work for you?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

Haven't exploited anything here, partially because I don't want to, but also because I missed the Violent Duct thing, lol. But otherwise it has been just missions and car selling, my overall income on my level 33 character has been 899,850 across nearly 3 days playtime on her.

If rockstar banned for this that'd blow, its seriously no different than doing mission replaying.

There's a pretty big difference between replaying a mission that might be broken because Rockstar screwed up what lets it finish, and just outright glitching vehicles out of a garage that are supposed to be sold. I'm honestly fine with them banning for doing it to be honest, if someone was doing this in an mmo they would likely be banned, and if Rockstar ever want GTA to have an online component that ever becomes something more than just deathmatch in an open world with some basic missions then they need to stop things like this from happening.

torontoml

So at the start of races is there a special trick to getting a jump start like some people seem to do? Like their tires get traction right away.

Is there any place you can see pictures of all the properties and garages?

If rockstar banned for this that'd blow, its seriously no different than doing mission replaying.

It's very different. You're getting the money for selling a bike without actually selling it. It's an obvious exploit.

Top Bottom