• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but I distinctly remember not being able to fight against cops alongside other players in GTA4 freeroam. If the cops were chasing you other players couldn't the see them.

I only played GTA 4 for about a month, so again may I'm misremembering that.

Last I played it, they could. I don't doubt there were glitches like that at some point though.

Now the dominator I've just spent a load on replacing my wiped car has also vanished. Sort your shit out rockstar.

I'm sure there's probably a random car-vanishing glitch, but did you buy insurance and place a tracker on it? Did it get taken to the impound, and do you have a garage? I've found that getting a car sent to the impound and either not getting it or getting another sent there before saving the first one can wipe a car.

There is no solution necessary, this is exactly y the game is fun. If i see u online i will kill you. It is a freeroam game of chess. Its gta man. Spend your money, then roam around freeroam being a murderer. Save your money and agree to play in pussy mode. The game is fun bc when ur in murder mode you get to try and find the pussy players. Perhaps even team up w a random to go kill some. Its fantastic and is exactly what it should be. U should fear death. As such u should fear me.

If u had nothing to lose ud have no fear and being a killer would be much less fun
Good for you. Bad for everyone who don't currently subscribe to your idea of fun.

A no penalty freeroam/freeroam deathmatch would be nice. You'd only join that if you were up for a bunch of bullshit.

Taffer

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but I distinctly remember not being able to fight against cops alongside other players in GTA4 freeroam. If the cops were chasing you other players couldn't the see them.

I only played GTA 4 for about a month, so again may I'm misremembering that.

I remember joining a rolling siege at the ferry terminal by the Alderney tunnel, players were holding out by the terminal against cops coming across the car park from the road. If you died and went back you could watch people fighting the cops and join in by shooting at them yourself. Also fun was getting a chopper and descending into the police helicopter's rotors, sending it crashing into the ground without earning any wanted stars yourself.

Good for you. Bad for everyone who don't currently subscribe to your idea of fun.

A no penalty freeroam/freeroam deathmatch would be nice. You'd only join that if you were up for a bunch of bullshit.

again, a world where everyone saves up and has tanks next week is terrible. no penalty lobbies is a good idea, but tell that to rockstar who wants to make money. as an MMO, which is essentially what the game is, it's balanced. if fun for you is running scared from everyone to keep your money, good. save up for that tank. if you do not enjoy losing that money every time you die however, i suggest playing a different playstyle. the game can be plenty fun without a $1,000,000 vehicle.

if it isn't, stop playing. in that case, the people trying to kill you online have already won :)

Ghazi

So have they fixed the online server issues? I've had my unopened box just sitting here since September, because I knew there'd be server issues and I don't really care much for the campaign. I'd like to open it, but the time for returning it is running out in case I end up wanting to get it on sale during Black Friday next month.

psn

Is there something you are in the habit of doing a lot, like switching off the game in your garage or anything? Kind of want to know to see if there is something to avoid.

I got kicked for being inactive because the game hung up on the loading screen after a race...

was ur garage full? just wondering if full garages is what starts these 'lost cars' glitches?

I guess it was nearly full, 9 cars I think...

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
So have they fixed the online server issues? I've had my unopened box just sitting here since September, because I knew there'd be server issues and I don't really care much for the campaign. I'd like to open it, but the time for returning it is running out in case I end up wanting to get it on sale during Black Friday next month.

I haven't had server issues yet this week, so it should be fine. Some people are saying their cars are disappearing, though.

Acorn

Some of these dudes get off on killing people who have no desire to fight and rockstar is providing for them without implementing this.

Although I've guarded a few low levelers and seen others doing it but that isn't a solution.

That bad sport shit is retarded. When two players are chasing you in cars you shouldn't punish them for blowing up said cars, it's grand theft auto. Cmon

Some of these dudes get off on killing people who have no desire to fight and rockstar is providing for them without implementing this.

Although I've guarded a few low levelers and seen others doing it but that isn't a solution.

if you have no desire to fight you can play offline

this is seriously like people whining about losing in madden/cod/anyonlinegameever. the online game plays how it plays; it's not supposed to play how YOU want to play it. if you don't want to fight, use the tools at your disposal to evade people. there are TONS of ways. if you are bad at doing that, play offline, or use a new strategy. the game is well balanced in this respect. it's GTA, people are trying to kill you, and if you die you lose stuff. that's reeeeally unlikely to change man, that's like predesign type decisions you want them to change, it likely isn't going to happen

you don't think rockstar considered all these concerns before releasing the game? in every game you have to balance risk with reward. if you don't like how they did it, i'm sorry man, but you're not gonna enjoy playing online. not trying to sound like a douche just pointing out, that you should embrace it if you want to enjoy this game, if you just want to save up millions by doing missions then goooood luck having fun because you'll have a hell of a time doing it with the way the online is set up in this game.

Gaz_RB

That bad sport shit is retarded. When two players are chasing you in cars you shouldn't punish them for blowing up said cars, it's grand theft auto. Cmon

Yeah it's awful. Especially when you are locked in playing with assholes for two days and can't play with your friends. And you have an unchangeable dunce hat.

It's so weird that the bad sport system is supposed to separate the more violent players from the more passive ones (which would be fine if the system worked better) but once you're labeled a bad sport, Rockstar shames you with an unchangeable dunce hat (taking away customization, which is a big part of the game) and doesn't let you play in private matches with friends (taking away another huge part of the game, playing with friends). It's stupid in so many ways. This is seriously one of the biggest issues with the game, not the hospital bills.

I think that's what Rockstar wanted. There are blood thirsty high and low levels, and there are "good" high level and low level players. Some players go and punish the bloodthirsty ones. Everything tends to balance out in the games I play. I don't think it's something that needs a "solution"

Acorn

this is seriously like people whining about losing in madden/cod/anyonlinegameever. the online game plays how it plays; it's not supposed to play how YOU want to play it. if you don't want to fight, use the tools at your disposal to evade people. there are TONS of ways. if you are bad at doing that, play offline, or use a new strategy. the game is well balanced in this respect. it's GTA, people are trying to kill you, and if you die you lose stuff. that's reeeeally unlikely to change man, that's like predesign type decisions you want them to change, it likely isn't going to happen

you don't think rockstar considered all these concerns before releasing the game? in every game you have to balance risk with reward. if you don't like how they did it, i'm sorry man, but you're not gonna enjoy playing online. not trying to sound like a douche just pointing out, that you should embrace it if you want to enjoy this game, if you just want to save up millions by doing missions then goooood luck having fun because you'll have a hell of a time doing it with the way the online is set up in this game.
Hardly anyone bothers me because I'm over 50, what rubs me the wrong way is dudes at my level repeatedly killing sub level 10 players when they only have pistols.

Imm0rt4l

co-sign

Hardly anyone bothers me because I'm over 50, what rubs me the wrong way is dudes at my level repeatedly killing sub level 10 players when they only have pistols.

word that is bullshit, IMO the game should try to put you in freeroam with people +- 10 levels of you. with so many people online i doubt that would be an issue!

Gaz_RB

Isn't that kind of how it works though? When you're lower level, you get beat up and you learn how to play the game better. Then when you're level 50, hardly anyone bothers you. There are good players and bad players. Free roam would get boring if there wasn't people for me to hunt down and punish for being dicks, IMO

word that is bullshit, IMO the game should try to put you in freeroam with people +- 10 levels of you. with so many people online i doubt that would be an issue!

I agree, matchmaking needs to try to make sure low levels play with low levels. the problem with this is that higher level friends of lower levels can join and get around it. It's a hard system to do correctly.

GavinGT

Banned
Is there any way to ensure that I stay in the same room as my friend, short of starting an invite-only session? Every time we finish doing a job together, we each get dumped back into a separate room.

Gaz_RB

Is there any way to ensure that I stay in the same room as my friend, short of starting an invite-only session? Every time we finish doing a job, we each get dumped back into a separate room.

Do you vote for free mode after the job? If i do that, I usually end up in the same free mode as them.

So I want to set a bounty on a guy, but when I call Lester he's not in the list. He and the other 15 players show up fine in the player list, but when I call Lester only a seemingly random 5-7 of them are options.

I don't get it. How is this supposed to work?

NukeLaser

Can someone explain Passive Mode to me? I was under the impression that activating Passive Mode was supposed to make you invulnerable to gunfire at the cost of not using your weapon. Yet, everytime I activate it, some jerk off rolls up and shoots me in the head and kills me instantly, and I can't retaliate because my weapons are disabled!

Is there something I am missing here?

Some people might have the desire to fight but don't appreciate the notion of losing cash when dying. It's only slightly less stupid than losing money during deathmatches early on — that was patched out.

this is seriously like people whining about losing in madden/cod/anyonlinegameever.

Nope. "anyonlinegameever" doesn't subtract your XP/cash/whatever when you lose.

the online game plays how it plays

Until the bad aspects are patched by R*

it's not supposed to play how YOU want to play it. if you don't want to fight, use the tools at your disposal to evade people. there are TONS of ways. if you are bad at doing that, play offline, or use a new strategy. the game is well balanced in this respect. it's GTA, people are trying to kill you, and if you die you lose stuff. that's reeeeally unlikely to change man, that's like predesign type decisions you want them to change, it likely isn't going to happen

Is there a good reason why everyone can't be accommodated? Do people who just want to drive around, going on killing sprees need penalties for dying in order to do that? The only people who would get screwed over by removing the hospital bills are the people who just want to hurt others' progression. That in no way benefits anyone as far as game mechanics go. It can be patched, it is not necessary to have GTA Online be what R* advertised.

you don't think rockstar considered all these concerns before releasing the game?
There are a bunch of dubious design choices in single and multiplayer. Their teams had a lot to deal with, I'm sure, and they couldn't anticipate how every design choice would turn out in the game. That's why they patch and update it after release.

in every game you have to balance risk with reward. if you don't like how they did it, i'm sorry man, but you're not gonna enjoy playing online.

If you subtract the death cost taken from banked cash, you're still left with risk/reward for having pocket money. There's still risk/reward for going after supply drops, impromptu races, missions, deathmatches, etc. Again, if you can help me understand how hospital bills are crucial to the overall game, please explain. nothing you've said so far has gone beyond "I love griefing bro, I'm cool with it, y'all should be too".

not trying to sound like a douche

heh

that you should embrace it if you want to enjoy this game, if you just want to save up millions by doing missions then goooood luck having fun because you'll have a hell of a time doing it with the way the online is set up in this game.

And the online can be changed to accommodate everyone by getting rid of the penalty for dying. People who want to kill at random could still do that without the penalty; there'd probably be more killing since people wouldn't avoid one another like the plague. No one misses out by removing the penalty. By having it, people how don't want to lose money suffer from it. Overall, it would would be beneficial to get rid of it.

This is what I have a problem with. Low-level people getting screwed over. You say it's bullshit, but you admit to killing any and everyone?! You're part of the problem.

Getting rid of the penalty would keep low-levels from getting turned off the game. Wouldn't throw anything else out of whack.

Gaz_RB

Getting rid of the penalty would keep low-levels from getting turned off the game. Wouldn't throw anything else out of whack.

I don't think he was talking about the penalty, more about bad players and killing low level players.

edit: or maybe he was.

My take: they can take out the hospital bills, but I hope they don't punish bad players more than they already do with the shoddy bad sport system.

Come up with a little money making idea. Bought myself a 10 car garage, aside from my 3 personal vehicles (Obey 9F Cabrio, Bati 801RR, Vapid Dominator) the rest is filled the Gallivanter Ballers which are worth $9000 a pop. Saves having to find a decent vehicle to sell when you need some quick cash. The garage almost pays for itself after selling on two full loads of Ballers. It's not the fastest thing but it's some decen't extra cash on the side. Plus I wanted a big garage anyway so when I'm done selling them on I can fill it up with personal vehicles.

0_0.jpg

Imm0rt4l

Come up with a little money making idea. Bought myself a 10 car garage, aside from my 3 personal vehicles (Obey 9F Cabrio, Bati 801RR, Vapid Dominator) the rest is filled the Gallivanter Ballers which are worth $9000 a pop. Saves having to find a decent vehicle to sell when you need some quick cash. The garage almost pays for itself after selling on two full loads of Ballers. It's not the fastest thing but it's some decen't extra cash on the side. Plus I wanted a big garage anyway so when I'm done selling them on I can fill it up with personal vehicles.

0_0.jpg

I can't consistently find ballers, I look around rockford hills but only find SUV's. Wear do you find them?

I don't think he was talking about the penalty, more about bad players and killing low level players.

Without the penalty, killing low-level players would do anything beyond bruise their ego. How people feel is less important than the "physical" effect of losing in-game cash. I'm assuming anyone who has a problem with people getting killed have come to that conclusion because of poor players losing cash. If dying were like it was in IV, it wouldn't matter unless you just had a grudge against someone or wanted revenge.

dosh

People who want to kill at random could still do that without the penalty; there'd probably be more killing since people wouldn't avoid one another like the plague.
That's the main problem right now. People usually tend to avoid each other since there are so many potential jerks. Which nullifies all the goofing-around potential of the freemode.
And it's way too easy to kill someone, wait for him to respawn and go on a rampage again.

You also can't really do stupid/possibly fatal stunts with friends because doing it over and over takes away huge chunks of cash.

So I'm level 17, but I'm still getting shitty drug bust or car jack missions from Gerald/Simeon. When will I start getting good stuff?
At level 20 or so, missions start getting better. But I'd recommend hanging with higher level crew members: thanks to Dinger, Punisher and Ted, I got to play some 30 or 40+ level missions and they were all a blast.

Dabanton

So I'm level 17, but I'm still getting shitty drug bust or car jack missions from Gerald/Simeon. When will I start getting good stuff?

I would suggest looking out for the odd higher mission that pops up while playing or go on your phone and select join random most of the time I did that I would get into higher rated and better paying missions.

You'll probably start getting calls from Martin soon he offers some nice paying missons.

Gaz_RB

Without the penalty, killing low-level players would do anything beyond bruise their ego. How people feel is less important than the "physical" effect of losing in-game cash. I'm assuming anyone who has a problem with people getting killed have come to that conclusion because of poor players losing cash. If dying were like it was in IV, it wouldn't matter unless you just had a grudge against someone or wanted revenge.

Yeah, but I don't think that all people getting upset about dying in free roam are exclusively upset because of the money penalty. I really don't care about the hospital bills. I just hope they don't change anything about players that kill people. I just think it should be easier to tell who is more aggressive and who is more passive.

I just think it should be easier to tell who is more aggressive and who is more passive.

how do you do that though? any idea can be broken. if it's marking people who kill people, who's to say the people they killed didn't threaten them. they didn't solve the problem bc any solution has an exploit that people would whine about, just like the 'bad player' thing.

there is already the ultimate solution for finding friendlies in game.

use your mics. 'hey xxx you friendly?'. if they answer yes let your guard down. if they don't answer, assume hostile.

if you don't want to do that, it's all on you. i see tons of people complaining about hostiles here in the game and coincidentially i see just as many people ask 'how do i change my mic settings to only hear friends'; gee, imagine what consequence that might come with :/

well, I just had a weird experience while taking a shower. Skin tone between the head and chest didn't match. It looked like my black head was attached to a white body

dosh

if you don't want to do that, it's all on you. i see tons of people complaining about hostiles here in the game

Nobody complains about hostiles. It's their behaviour and the penalty that comes with it that are problematic. If someone decides to kill the same person over and over, ruining his fun and wasting his time, how is that on the guy who gets killed?

Edit: Hungry Ghost also has a point. A few days ago, I was level 10 and being chased by two guys in a car. After several deaths, I finally get to mow them down and decide to blow up their car in reprisal. What does the game do? Makes me pay for it. Fantastic.

I can't consistently find ballers, I look around rockford hills but only find SUV's. Wear do you find them?

They seem to be absolutely everywhere when I drive around in the Dominator, which is a pretty common car. There's a lot of them around the Rockford Hills area. I picked up all of those on the stretch of road between the garage and the spot where michaels garage is. Might be worth finding a Dominator and using that to spawn the Baller, that's what I've done.

I know the Felon GT is the highest selling car, topping the Baller by $500 but I've found the Baller to be so much more common it's just quicker and easier. Also worth remembering that there's two models of the Baller, one looks like the Range Rover Evoque and one looks like a more conventional Range Rover, with two vents towards the front sides of the car. They seem to be a lot more common as well.

Gaz_RB

how do you do that though? any idea can be broken. if it's marking people who kill people, who's to say the people they killed didn't threaten them. they didn't solve the problem bc any solution has an exploit that people would whine about, just like the 'bad player' thing.

use your mics. 'hey xxx you friendly?'. if they answer yes let your guard down. if they don't answer, assume hostile.

if you don't want to do that, it's all on you. i see tons of people complaining about hostiles here in the game and coincidentially i see just as many people ask 'how do i change my mic settings to only hear friends'; gee, imagine what consequence that might come with :/

I really don't have that big of a problem with how any of it works now. What I want is a solution that will make sure the core of how the free roam works right now stays somewhat the same, while making the people who are having trouble with it not be so upset. And I think taking the death penalty out will probably silence most of them.

That's the main problem right now. People usually tend to avoid each other since there are so many potential jerks. Which nullifies all the goofing-around potential of the freemode.
And it's way too easy to kill someone, wait for him to respawn and go on a rampage again.

Not even gonna lie...I terroized some guy last night for no reason at all other than it was that easy.

Gargantua01 on PSN...if you're watching....
git gud mayne

Gaz_RB

Also I think it would help of they didn't spawn you so damn close to whoever killed you. That combined with the death penalty is making player killing way worse than it should be for some people.

There are always ways to bypass any system, but they can always be improved. Kane and Lynch 2's flawed but interesting heist multiplayer integrated betrayals into the metagame. you could kill teammates and steal their share after getting the cash. If you hurt someone (who isn't attacking you) slightly, a blinking yellow flag would appear next to your name; the person you hurt could kill you without penalty during that time. Hurt them further, or kill them,and the flag turns solid, indicating you're a traitor.

Something similar could be done for GTA; shoot someone/their car and you have a buffer period where accidents aren't immediately punished. Hurt or kill someone and you're marked if that person doesn't forgive you in the death screen.

I've done this and it's not ultimate. I already mentioned the GAFer who killed me after I did some missions with him and killed other players going after his bounty. There was no quick way to tell my white blip was friend/foe.

If that sounds like a lot of work to implement, it probably is. I don't see how improving the game further isn't worth it though.

Also I think it would help of they didn't spawn you so damn close to whoever killed you. That combined with the death penalty is making player killing way worse than it should be for some people.

I haven't checked or been in any free roam fights in a long time, but I've heard there's a spawn option in the start menu.

Top Bottom