• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
come on guys, tell me what you did in free roam. i need inspiration.
dont tell me everything you did so far was grinding VD, races and glitching Los Santos Customs.

Not possible, it seems that's all most people are doing right now. Because they are boring people.

I'm having a blast between playing missions (love Survival so much, and getting into DM) and playful griefing in free roam. My new favourite thing is to get a cargobob and harass players by dropping cars on them. It's spectacularly amusing. I had one guy over by that weird museum/college place who was running around under bridges and mezzanines trying to escape, and I dropped a car from really high up that managed to explode right on top of him, it was so satisfying. Also, picking players up and dropping them off on top of a mountain is very fun too.

Really am bored of everyone talking about boosting in here though, I wish we had another thread just for it. It's lowering the tone of conversation in here and makes the community feel shallow and distasteful. This thread was exciting for me, but it seems the (valid) connection bitching has given way to boosting talk and it's fucking dull. Just play the game as it's designed.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Not possible, it seems that's all most people are doing right now. Because they are boring people.

I'm having a blast between playing missions (love Survival so much, and getting into DM) and playful griefing in free roam. My new favourite thing is to get a cargobob and harass players by dropping cars on them. It's spectacularly amusing. I had one guy over by that weird museum/college place who was running around under bridges and mezzanines trying to escape, and I dropped a car from really high up that managed to explode right on top of him, it was so satisfying. Also, picking players up and dropping them off on top of a mountain is very fun too.

Really am bored of everyone talking about boosting in here though, I wish we had another thread just for it. It's lowering the tone of conversation in here and makes the community feel shallow and distasteful. This thread was exciting for me, but it seems the (valid) connection bitching has given way to boosting talk and it's fucking dull. Just play the game as it's designed.

I assume the Cargobob is in the military base? Is it easy to get? I want in on this.

nbraun80

So I get into a lobby and someone has a fancy IGN tag. So like any good citizen I instantly put a bounty on him. After watching thay from the tv and some messing around of my own, it eventually ends up just being 3 of us in the lobby. It then informs me that the ign guy as a high priority vehicle. So instead of trying to steal it I heli down to Simeon's and nicely plant to sticky charges on either side of the garage. I then fly to a bridge a little ways away so I don't look suspicious and climb to the top and watch through my sniper scope. Garage door starts to open, he's counting his money, and boom. Haha. It was hilarious. I then get a message saying someone has voted to kick me, ha wonder who thay could be?

kind of a dick move but oh well.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
But it is boring if you play it the way it is designed.

Then... why play it? The game is: driving, shooting, escaping police. That is the core gameplay loop of GTA, and that's what online has in spades. If that doesn't interest you then why are you even playing?

dosh

come on guys, tell me what you did in free roam. i need inspiration.
dont tell me everything you did so far was grinding VD, races and glitching Los Santos Customs.

One of my favorite: steal money from shops while my mate waits for me in the car outside. Complete with killing the shopkeeper to automatically get a three stars wanted level. And then run for it.

so yesterday was teh first day i could consistently play, and i spend a large portion of the day playing around and got to about 12-13. Missions is easily my favorite stuff (besides the 1 life tdm game modes) and wish there was an easier way to redo some.

Biggest disappointment is that, well missions don't really get interesting until later when i randomly match with one.

Also not a fan of it always seem to be i join a mission or start one thats 5 miles away >.<

Is there any way to fast travel? Taxis don't have that option.

am thinking a bit of what to do with the half mil freebie this week. Whats the diff of having a expensive vs cheap apartment besides garage size?

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
I assume the Cargobob is in the military base? Is it easy to get? I want in on this.
it randomly spawns on airfields. on the airport in LS and on both airfields in the deserts

Got the high value car for Simeon and parked it outside L s customs when people came to collect it I ambushed them took their money got it sprayed and cruised to the lock up for my reward.

we blocked the entrance to simeons with two firetrucks and I carpeted the street infront of it with sticky bombs and we waited for another player.
But he smelled the rat and could avoid death and tried to shoot us (we were on the roof). I sniped him and there was allready another player who stole the car. Carnage ensued and soon we had a shootout with 6 people and police.
needless to say we all went to the shitter in the end..

My new favourite thing is to get a cargobob and harass players by dropping cars on them. It's spectacularly amusing. I had one guy over by that weird museum/college place who was running around under bridges and mezzanines trying to escape, and I dropped a car from really high up that managed to explode right on top of him, it was so satisfying. Also, picking players up and dropping them off on top of a mountain is very fun too..

This is something i also want to do. Especialy the car dropping. Allready thopught about that this morning.

Lima

Then... why play it? The game is: driving, shooting, escaping police. That is the core gameplay loop of GTA, and that's what online has in spades. If that doesn't interest you then why are you even playing?

Because you unlock all the cool stuff once you are a high level? I don't want to do shoot people with shitty weapons and I don't want to drive around in slow and boring vehicles.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

This might work: Go to the map. Press X on a mission in the area you wish to get to. Accept the mission. Quit out of the lobby and cancel the mission. You should be in the area of the mission (I think). It'll cost you the entry fee.

EDIT: Thanks for the Cargobob info, guys & gals!

Tankshell

Is this worth trying yet on PS3?

I tried for the first time at the weekend but instantly got disconnected after the first race. My internet connection is normally very solid so must still be a Rockstar server issue...

Dabanton

so yesterday was teh first day i could consistently play, and i spend a large portion of the day playing around and got to about 12-13. Missions is easily my favorite stuff (besides the 1 life tdm game modes) and wish there was an easier way to redo some.

Biggest disappointment is that, well missions don't really get interesting until later when i randomly match with one.

Also not a fan of it always seem to be i join a mission or start one thats 5 miles away >.<

am thinking a bit of what to do with the half mil freebie this week. Whats the diff of having a expensive vs cheap apartment besides garage size?

I sort of like the travel to places gives a good team time to plan an approach.

If you could fast travel everywhere it would ruin the flow of the game for me. The nice thing though if you fuck up and all die when you restart you get put back near the objective.

Reule

I bought that crazy 25K musical horn for my car, love it. Base Invaders goes by so quick, even solo. I recently just found out that you apparently fit four people in Ron's plane. That would've been helpful to know since last time I drove there and had to hope the fence in my car.

Steiner84

Yeah it spawned on the server i was in yesterday at that airfield that and a small plane in the hangar.

it seems to depend on the level players have, but I found several air vehicle all spawn on the the airfields.
including buzzard, the other armed heli, normal heli, cargo heli, small plane, jet plane (private, not military one) and even the big 4 engine cargo plane from the military.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
it seems to depend on the level players have, but I found several air vehicle all spawn on the the airfields.
including buzzard, the other armed heli, normal heli, cargo heli, small plane, jet plane (private, not military one) and even the big 4 engine cargo plane from the military.

I'm level 26. Would it spawn for me, do you think...?

Steiner84

I'm level 26. Would it spawn for me, do you think...?

I honestly dont know.
Didnt check the airfields until i allready was lvl 35..
so, no idea when certain vehicles start to appear. Friends told me that more and other vehicles start to appear the farther your leveled up.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Because you unlock all the cool stuff once you are a high level? I don't want to do shoot people with shitty weapons and I don't want to drive around in slow and boring vehicles.

I've got an SMG and a Fusilade, what else do you need? You will get to high level naturally if you just play the game. You will find some suprisingly good cars that you can have if you just play the game. You might actually have fun if you just play the game.

Instead, boringly re-running the same missions over and over again like some OCD lunatic is a good idea? And most of this thread being devoted to people bleating out trying to get more people to do it? It's dull and I'm sick of it.

I think this is partly my own issue. For some reason players engaging in unhealthily repetitive, compulsive behaviour really annoys me and I can't figure out why.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It was appearing for me in the early 20s, so I should think so. Try sandy shores first and then maybe head north. I wonder if it's tied somehow to flight skill? What's yours like?

As low as you can get. Oh, you mean my flying skills... ahahaha-huuurgh. Ahem. Nope. They are very low.

GTA Forums says it may appear at the southern most helipad in LS, too... hang on... here. I'll give it whirl tonight. Picking up other players seems like a marvellous waste of time. :)

Can passengers shoot from helicopters and with what weapons? My friends keep saying they can't

You're friends are...

lex-luthor-wrong1.jpg

Steiner84

you can if you sit in the back and hang outside.

I don't know if every weapon works but I normally use an assault rifle

you can only shoot to the side your sitting, unlike in cars.
and i found you unfortunately cant use a sniper in the heli :(

zma1013

I have a rather important question. How can me and my friend stay in the same Free Roam instance after doing a mission? Every single time we quit out or vote back to Free Roam, we get dumped out to separate Free Roam instances and we have to repeat the ridiculous process of loading into one another's game. This can't be how it's intended right? How can I stay together while playing with friends?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Everything keeps timing out for me (PS3) all I'm trying to do is get in a solo session.

Come on R* it's 9 in the fuckin morning on a Monday. Fix this shit.

Tawpgun

Are certain snacks/drinks more filling than others? And it seems like smoking has no positive right? I always see a sliver of health taken out.

Haines

Banned
Hi neogaf

Im jumping on the PS3 GTAO.

Add me: mommas_boy and lets play. I'd love to play some missions or whatever really!

I have a mic, of course.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Are people really still having connection issues?

I am. Been trying to get into a Solo Session for about 20 minutes now. Keeps timing out. I'm done trying for now. I'll give it another try when I have some free time this evening.

Top Bottom