• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

zma1013

Please no. We don't need a reason for people to roll around looking for people standing at ATMs who can't defend themselves.

This game doesn't need more monetary penalties. I got sniped last night while out in the desert seconds after spawning into free roam because I was in my phone menu depositing my winnings from a race I'd just completed. $2,000 gone. That's not a lot in the grand scheme, but half of what I'd taken in that race.

That's fine and I understand why people don't want to lose their money. They might as well just remove them from the game. They serve no purpose other than to trick people who don't know any better that that's the only way to deposit cash. If there's no incentive to use them over the obviously better option, then there's no point in having them.

That being said, your situation wouldn't have turned out any different either way, as you said you were sniped in a desert trying to deposit your winnings.

Because it's fun? If you're going to worry about losing a few thousand dollars to the extent that you won't actually play one of the best aspects on the free roam, I don't know what to tell you.

Oh I've done it. I've gone after guys with low bounties before. I have no problem doing it. But at some point, if the bounty target keeps slipping away, or keeps capping your ass, you've really got to reevaluate whether continuing the course is the smart move or not.

Last night one of my friends accidentally ran a guy over as he was getting out of his car and the guy flipped out and kept putting $9,000 bounties on my friend's head. Soooo I spent most of the night shooting him in the face and splitting the money.

true homies would help their buddy evade being killed at all. i love having a bounty on me. come at me bros, all of you, i freaking dare you!

either i will kill you or you will never catch me on my maxed out akuma

louiedog

That being said, your situation wouldn't have turned out any different either way, as you said you were sniped in a desert trying to deposit your winnings.

I was just trying to illustrate my point that I think the game has enough monetary penalties as it is, not trying to tie my situation to that of ATMs.

I do agree that ATMs are pointless. The game tips seem to go out of their way to mention them over and over and then only occasionally throw in, "oh yeah, or just use your phone." It makes me wonder if the online banking via phone was a late addition because someone realized the ATMs could end up being not so much fun.

come on guys, tell me what you did in free roam. i need inspiration.
dont tell me everything you did so far was grinding VD, races and glitching Los Santos Customs.

I hooned and honked fancy tunes out of my Silver Diamond, attracting the attention of a Ford GT, which followed me to the heli pads, where he jumped into a helicopter, and I tried to get the other one but the pilot was about to take off, so I shot him and the helicopter dropped and exploded on top of my head. Respawned and jumped in Ford guy's heli. Flew to right outside the fort, I jumped out and slickly parachuted right next to a jet, which I borrowed for a couple of seconds until some sort of SAM locked onto me right by the fence and blew me out of the sky. I ejected and just barely managed to pull my chute before gravity had its way and landed safely to the sound of a firey explosion.

After that climax things immediately turned superboring (stop reading) as there's no cars downside the base with the stupid swamp, nor will cabs or your mechanic go there. Tried killing myself, was more pointless than painless (just now found out you can apparently change your spawn location). I accidentally discovered a way to get transport though. Called in Merryweather heli support, hoping he'd maybe land. He didn't, so I tried shooting him since that turned out so well last time. But alas, he was immune to bullets to the face. My shooting attracted the attention of the military again though. Heli backup took care of them and I took care of their jeep. Then I drove all night to get to my garage to discover I couldn't store that thing. Now I feel like listening to Roy Orbison. The end.

I accidentally discovered a way to get transport though. Called in Merryweather heli support, hoping he'd maybe land. He didn't, so I tried shooting him since that turned out so well last time. But alas, he was immune to bullets to the face. My shooting attracted the attention of the military again though. Heli backup took care of them and I took care of their jeep. Then I drove all night to get to my garage to discover I couldn't store that thing. Now I feel like listening to Roy Orbison. The end.

you can always call 911 or call a taxi and jack it if you need transportation

railGUN

Banned
Death penalty is fine, 2k is nothing. Making money in this game is ridiculously easy (even if you don't exploit easy missions etc.)

What I really want is a hardcore mode, no aim assist, permadeath etc. with leaderboards.

Played some more missions with 4 randoms.
Of course, nobody had mic's so I pretty much might as well have played SP.

Sigh.

gotta join a big crew bro

i can never get accepted into the GAF crew so i just joined another site's that i frequent, with 300 ppl in the crew there's always somebody online looking to play. and since it's another mostly heavy gamer site, p much everyone has a mic

Haines

Banned
gotta join a big crew bro

i can never get accepted into the GAF crew so i just joined another site's that i frequent, with 300 ppl in the crew there's always somebody online looking to play. and since it's another mostly heavy gamer site, p much everyone has a mic

So the secret is joining a big crew? Is the one you use full? What is the crew limit and how do I join one after signing up to social club?

Carcetti

Played some more missions with 4 randoms.
Of course, nobody had mic's so I pretty much might as well have played SP.

Sigh.

A lot of times when I play missions with randoms I wish I was playing single player. So far I've had these

- A loud Spanish/Mexican family with a sort of domestic hazard situation going on in the background. I think the teenage girl was having a fight with the mom but my Spanish skill is like 5% in rpg terms.
- Lots of 10-12 year olds singing radio hits in their whiny little voices.
- Racists that somehow thought I was a mexican by my gamertag (no idea why) who told me I have to go back where I belong. I'm actually from a N. European country.
- Super-misogynistic stereotypical Xbox Live gamer 20somethings. I guess they don't appreciate the chance to make a female criminal in the game since in one survival match they shouted abuse from waves 1-10 about bitch this bitch that nonstop while exploiting a geometry flaw in a survival level to make themselves invulnerable.

In short, it's probably the worst Xbox Live community I've seen so far. I refuse to turn the chat off, since it's just too entertaining.

So the secret is joining a big crew? Is the one you use full? What is the crew limit and how do I join one after signing up to social club?

limit is 300, mine is full so i can't help there. u join on the website. i would suggest joining a GAF crew but obv i've had no luck being accepted to either of the 360 ones. if you have no other place to look gtaforums probably has tons of crews recruiting. if people are in a big crew they're more likely to be hardcore gamers and to have a mic, in my experience anyway. no one in my crew has ever randomly killed me either if we roll up to each other we team up and do whatever its good bc you have people in freeroam that are friendly and won't mess with you

Haines

Banned
limit is 300, mine is full so i can't help there. u join on the website. i would suggest joining a GAF crew but obv i've had no luck being accepted to either of the 360 ones. if you have no other place to look gtaforums probably has tons of crews recruiting. if people are in a big crew they're more likely to be hardcore gamers and to have a mic, in my experience anyway. no one in my crew has ever randomly killed me either if we roll up to each other we team up and do whatever its good bc you have people in freeroam that are friendly and won't mess with you

I found this sub reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gtaonlinecrews

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Just joined a top fun. It was 4 on my team (runners) to 3 (hunters) these people seriously switched to where it was 2 runners to 5 hunters. Seriously?

Does anyone know definitively what car armor does? Does it help the car take more damage overall, more damage from bullets, or does it help protect the occupants from bullets?

A lot of times when I play missions with randoms I wish I was playing single player. So far I've had these

- A loud Spanish/Mexican family with a sort of domestic hazard situation going on in the background. I think the teenage girl was having a fight with the mom but my Spanish skill is like 5% in rpg terms.
- Lots of 10-12 year olds singing radio hits in their whiny little voices.
- Racists that somehow thought I was a mexican by my gamertag (no idea why) who told me I have to go back where I belong. I'm actually from a N. European country.
- Super-misogynistic stereotypical Xbox Live gamer 20somethings. I guess they don't appreciate the chance to make a female criminal in the game since in one survival match they shouted abuse from waves 1-10 about bitch this bitch that nonstop while exploiting a geometry flaw in a survival level to make themselves invulnerable.

In short, it's probably the worst Xbox Live community I've seen so far. I refuse to turn the chat off, since it's just too entertaining.

You can turn the chat off in the pause menu? I ask because I tried GTA Online for the first time yesterday and felt like murdering everyone with a mic. (No, I don't play a lot of multiplayer games w/ voice chat and certainly not on Xbox Live.) I sort of wish I had your patience/perverse glee at listening to awful people but I don't.

XAL

Anyone figure out how to level flying better?

Also, will be playing boneyard and criminal records today if anyone is interested, shoot me a fr. req.

Haines

Banned
You can turn the chat off in the pause menu? I ask because I tried GTA Online for the first time yesterday and felt like murdering everyone with a mic. (No, I don't play a lot of multiplayer games w/ voice chat and certainly not on Xbox Live.) I sort of wish I had your patience/perverse glee at listening to awful people but I don't.

Go to GTA ONLINE, players. Mute whoever is annoying.

DRE Fei

Does anyone know definitively what car armor does? Does it help the car take more damage overall, more damage from bullets, or does it help protect the occupants from bullets?

I'm not sure what all of the effects are, but at 100% armor my car is able to survive very intense collisions with very little damage. You can still be shot through windows, but the body of the car is much more durable and can be driven for a much longer time during an intense police chase or something.

KoyukiNL

Neo Member
How come I NEVER hear anyone talk in this game, while at the same time I see a lot of people complaining here? Is it because I join games without my headset connected to the controller?

How come I NEVER hear anyone talk in this game, while at the same time I see a lot of people complaining here? Is it because I join games without my headset connected to the controller?

That'll do it. If your headset isn't plugged in their voices wont come through the TV.

Its only that way with Xbox Live Party/Private chat.

So I had to quit out on a tutorial mission since I had to wait on someone who was idle and now I can't do it again so my progress is locked. Is there any way to get around this?

Started playing today and hopped online - kind of disappointing character creator, it seemed difficult to get any real difference between face/body type other than skin tone.

My first race, I got two little kids saying to each other "this dickheads got a pink car. must be a poof..... or a girl", in a tone that made it sound like being female was an even worse crime to them than being homosexual. Soooooo I hope there's an option for mic off, otherwise it's offline all the way for me, I haven't played a game with shouty 12 year olds since the bad old days of Gears Of War on 360, and I haven't missed it one bit!

At least I beat one of them in the race :)

Eidan

I'm playing survival, and after the game ends, I get stuck in "sky mode" for 10 minutes. I exit back to the Xbox dashboard, and when I return to the game I'm reprimanded for leaving a game early. Fuck you too.

I'm not sure what all of the effects are, but at 100% armor my car is able to survive very intense collisions with very little damage. You can still be shot through windows, but the body of the car is much more durable and can be driven for a much longer time during an intense police chase or something.
Sounds pretty damn useful then.

I really wish the cargobob didn't stop spawning after a certain level.
I feel the same way about the Maverick.

---

I just read that your health is tied to your Rank. This might be the dumbest design decision I've read yet.

Anyone figure out how to level flying better?

Also, will be playing boneyard and criminal records today if anyone is interested, shoot me a fr. req.

land planes on landing strips gains flying skill i think. i got a lot from just doing plane races. really good money there too.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Ok, just did a rally race. My partner and I were the only ones to follow the right track and hit every checkpoint, yet somehow we finished 4th. Wat?

Sounds pretty damn useful then.

I feel the same way about the Maverick.

---

I just read that your health is tied to your Rank. This might be the dumbest design decision I've read yet.

Pretty sure it goes up every 20 levels. Between 20 and 40, I'd usually get a stat popup when levelling up saying that it was at 20/100. Then at 40, it changed to 40/100.

Carcetti

Has anyone looked into what car is hardest to shoot into? Sandking because the windows are pretty high? Or is there some little-windowed car you can turn into a fort?

Has anyone looked into what car is hardest to shoot into? Sandking because the windows are pretty high? Or is there some little-windowed car you can turn into a fort?

the hot rod u get with the collectors edition is by far the best. rear windows are microscopic.

i roll with my sabre turbo bc the engine can have a scoop which blocks some shots from the front

Top Bottom