• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Lima

Next title should be "Need 1 more for Criminal Records pls"

159d5s82.gif

zma1013

What is the name of the Neogaf crew? I search it on social club and it comes up with there only being 1 member. I'm guessing it has a different name?

come on guys, tell me what you did in free roam. i need inspiration.
dont tell me everything you did so far was grinding VD, races and glitching Los Santos Customs.

In truth, I haven't been exploring free roam as much as I should because of the death penalty. I really like playing good coop missions and doing coop with friends, and I don't grind, so I have a very low tolerance for losing all of the reward from a coop mission with 1 death.

The stuff I've been doing in free roam has been pretty pedestrian: looking for the unique jumps, doing the gang hideouts, robbing armored cars when I see them, picking up cars for Simeon. Free roam *is* getting better the more I play thankfully. To be honest, the whole game is getting better and better the more I play. It sucks that almost all of the good things in the online are locked behind leveling.

In truth, I haven't been exploring free roam as much as I should because of the death penalty. I really like playing good coop missions and doing coop with friends, and I don't grind, so I have a very low tolerance for losing all of the reward from a coop mission with 1 death.
Yup. R* managing to hamstring the urge to just fuck around is mindboggling.

I tried driving down a mountain last night and fucked up, took quite a few rolls and then landed on my roof (causing an explosion?) and I thought, "That was awesome!" followed by "Well that was expensive, I'll have to be more careful n the future."

I can't wait til I but an apartment. I'm just going to spend money on anything so I can eff around without worrying about the monetary consequences.

Was hoping thread title would not be applicable for OT2 at this rate not too sure.

Can honestly say I haven't had a single connection issue in ... 10 days. Friday Oct 4th was the last day I had a connection issue on XBL.

Not to say there haven't been annoyances... getting vote kicked in free roam while flying a helicopter with my buds and having them crash only to not get into their game because it was full.

Yup. R* managing to hamstring the urge to just fuck around is mindboggling.

I tried driving down a mountain last night and fucked up, took quite a few rolls and then landed on my roof (causing an explosion?) and I thought, "That was awesome!" followed by "Well that was expensive, I'll have to be more careful n the future."

I can't wait til I but an apartment. I'm just going to spend money on anything so I can eff around without worrying about the monetary consequences.

Yep, this is my experience too.

When I had like ~$45,000 early on, saving up for an apt, I was messing around and decided to ride up Mt. Chiliad and then free jump off of it with a parachute. Rode up to the top. Ran and jumped off the edge but my guy went into a "easy does it" animation easing himself off of the edge of a cliff. I fell to a horrific death, which was hilarious. I spawned on the side of the mountain in a bad location and with one step I fell again and died another horrible death. Finally, while easing myself down, I died yet again. These were all hilarious.

Till I realized that it cost me $6,000, which at that rate, was about an hour+ of boring, shitty, early "steal the car/crack" simeon/lamar missions.

Thankfully, now, I'm like a ~26 or so and the missions are actually fun to play and I've gotten most of what I'd *like* early in the game... an Apt, 2 decent cars, and decent firepower, so that burdensome death penalty isn't AS bad. But it still sucks and is too high.

People have been banned for doing that glitch. That is a true exploit compared to just re-doing the same mission over and over.

Do not do that glitch!

lol R* never bans people who find glitches in their games

i only 'worried' about money when i was saving 200k for my apartment. ever since then, it's fuck around whenever i want to, i buy whatever i'm saving for immediately when i get the money and stuff like engines only costs maybe a dozen or so K, turbo is expensive at like 30k, but almost every gun upgrade and whatnot only costs around 10k so dying penalty isn't really an issue once you've bought an apartment IMO as you should be spending your money when you reach your goals which should mostly be little after dropping change on an apartment

torontoml

It may be working for other people but I only get like 300 RP for completing laps in Criminal records, not the 4000 the description says. The only benefit is that it's a short race where I get about 2000-2500 RP if I win.

Given that there's no difference between how the game treats your cash and banked money 99% of the time, the qualifier almost seems pointless. Also, in what feels like a dick move, if I have 2k on me and buy mods or clothes, it seems to withdraw from my bank account first.

The idea was kind of cool when you had to deposit in ATMs, but with the ability to deposit on your phone, they've removed most of the risk and all of the tedium.

Given that there's no difference between how the game treats your cash and banked money 99% of the time, the qualifier almost seems pointless. Also, in what feels like a dick move, if I have 2k on me and buy mods or clothes, it seems to withdraw from my bank account first.

The idea was kind of cool when you had to deposit in ATMs, but with the ability to deposit on your phone, they've removed most of the risk and all of the tedium.

i feel like they originally didn't have the option but it was probably way too easy to camp the ATMs and grief people like crazy.

zma1013

If they want the ATMs to be legitimized or useful, they should add a fee to using the online banking to deposit or withdrawal. Then there might be some point to the ATMs existence if one could pick between the fee or no fee.

Marleyman

Banned
Each day I grow to enjoy online more and more. Yeah, I will never be one of those that can put in 5-6 hours a day, doing missions just for the money but I have FUN. In the end, that is all that matters to me.

No. And you can deposit cash with your mobile.

motherfucker.
>:O

Also, kinda wish i rolled a dude, girl outfits all kinda look like shit. I'm guessing you can't 'reshape' your toon through exercising or eating a bunch of snacks or what not eh?

Where is my plastic surgery joint? that's the main punch line for all GTA games >.>"

I wanna fill up my toons butt and boobs and work at the strip club while i'm at work irl.

louiedog

If they want the ATMs to be legitimized or useful, they should add a fee to using the online banking to deposit or withdrawal. Then there might be some point to the ATMs existence if one could pick between the fee or no fee.

Please no. We don't need a reason for people to roll around looking for people standing at ATMs who can't defend themselves.

This game doesn't need more monetary penalties. I got sniped last night while out in the desert seconds after spawning into free roam because I was in my phone menu depositing my winnings from a race I'd just completed. $2,000 gone. That's not a lot in the grand scheme, but half of what I'd taken in that race.

True, most risk is gone. But I suppose if you do a big money job, then spawn back in free roam with the people you played with, there's a chance the people you played with will gun you down for the amount of cash you have on you in excess of $5k. It would be a dick move, but in GTA that's often the norm.

Is there ever a reason not to store all cash in atm? Outside of making it rain at the strip club, i don't see any need for cash.

Only reason for cash is betting in matches. The betting mechanic is great, but only as a side diversion and totally unnecessary. 90% of the time ti will work against you haha... but it's also pretty hilarious.

Please no. We don't need a reason for people to roll around looking for people standing at ATMs who can't defend themselves.

This game doesn't need more monetary penalties. I got sniped last night while out in the desert seconds after spawning into free roam because I was in my phone menu depositing my winnings from a race I'd just completed. $2,000 gone. That's not a lot in the grand scheme, but half of what I'd taken in that race.

so basically you didn't think to take 1 second to check the map and make sure the area wasn't hot before using your phone -_-

that's a fine penalty for someone not paying attention in an online game centered around killing people tbqh

louiedog

so basically you didn't think to take 1 second to check the map and make sure the area wasn't hot before using your phone -_-

that's a fine penalty for someone not paying attention in an online game centered around killing people tbqh

I did check the map. The guy didn't show up. But thanks for assuming and then scolding me based on your assumption.

Only reason for cash is betting in matches. The betting mechanic is great, but only as a side diversion and totally unnecessary. 90% of the time ti will work against you haha... but it's also pretty hilarious.

i love fixing races in gta mode...my record is pretty good in races so i get really shitty odds, so if i get put into a gta race with someone who's +600 i like to bet the farm on them and just take the entire race making sure everyone else doesn't cross the finish line first lol

I did check the map. The guy didn't show up. But thanks for assuming and then scolding me based on your assumption.

oh so he used the hidden lester thing. that's actually really smart. you should've hit up lester and done the same thing. if you're high enough level. would have only lost $500 instead of 2k

i love fixing races in gta mode...my record is pretty good in races so i get really shitty odds, so if i get put into a gta race with someone who's +600 i like to bet the farm on them and just take the entire race making sure everyone else doesn't cross the finish line first lol

Hahahaha... that's so great. This is one of the best parts of GTA IMO.

I hate when somebody takes me out in a race, but 4/5 times it screws that persn up more and it's always worth it. On the point to point morning commute race, racing as super cars, somebody tried to take me out of 1st place right on that last bridge, and he ended up missing, hitting the side rail, and flying off the bridge... going from 2nd place to 13th in a 16 player race. I had a little skid but that was it, had he not tried to take me out, he would have finished 2nd, gotten a ~$7000 reward or so and a ton of XP. Ended up with like $400.

Eh, something similar happened to me.

I was doing a Simeon delivery mission, bringing the Patriot to the import/export zone which is isolated but VERY open with no cover. I delivered it, it goes into the cut scene, and then it spawns you outside the door and as soon as I spawned, a guy sniped me.

-- which begs the question:

What level do you have to be to make merryweather hits on guys? I can call Merryweather but can't do antyhing with them yet I dont think.

i hate supercar races bc no one can drive lol! it just ends up being a clusterfuck the whole time! i prefer cycles or sports for fast races. or for GTA race, i like to set up teams and use SUVs.

multilap race around the prison with teams with gta and cops on = the most hell you will ever see on this planet

tehPete

Banned
To try and counter the negativity being caused by all the boosting requests, I thought I'd share my first experience having a bounty on me that happened last night :)

It started with stealing a random car, and resulted in a $3k bounty being put on me. I get to the airport, into a Cargobob, and find myself quickly being charged at by two guys in a Frogger. They hit me, resulting in major damage for them so they decide to bail and switch to a Cargobob themselves at the airport. I dart up to the helipads by the marina and switch to a Frogger; shortly afterwards the two guys in their Cargobob turn up, and after a short 'chase' between the skyscrapers they give up due to the speed difference. Over voice comms, one of them suggests going to the airbase and stealing a jet each to get me that way; I'm not standing for this, so make a b-line straight for the base myself - flying a few feet directly underneath them on my way past for good measure :D

I get to Fort first, into a Jet, and just as I'm taking off they're landing. I start flying away, but they quickly get a lock-on and shoot me down. I bail in the nick of time, and parachute to ground landing at the furthest end of the bridge immediately south of the base. While parachuting, one of them tries to ram me with a jet and crashes. Once down I steal what turned out to be one of the slowest cars in the game, and have an incredibly slow chase down the highway and beach back to the city with two guys right behind me. I'm taking shortcuts left and right, jumping fences and climbing hills; just as I reach the city, some dude turns up in an Buzzard and starts trying to take me out with rockets.

So I'm darting through the city, rockets coming down left and right; over voicecomms I hear that those following me on the ground are having to back off a bit because of the rockets - this gives me enough breathing room to make a dash for the airport. I nip into the multi-story car park first to change to a less battered car while covered from the attentions of the Buzzard waiting outside; from there I made a break into the airport proper to try and get an air vehicle, but don't have the time. I end up circling a building, using it as cover from the - now two - attack helis overhead; eventually one of them makes a mistake and crashes his heli while trying to follow me. I use the opportunity to steal a plane; as I'm taking off, I see the guy who crashed running towards a cargobob, and then his mate starts firing rockets at me again. I dodge the first two, and head straight towards the Cargobob; just as I'm reaching it I hear another rocket being loosed, and just before it hits I manage to nip around the cargobob, putting it directly between me and the missile, resulting in the destruction of the cargobob and a cry of sheer glee from me. Sadly the next missile hits me ending what was a brilliant first bounty chase; 15 minutes on the run, and managed to cause three suicides / deaths in the process, all for a $3k bounty.

I made them earn that money :)

Tawpgun

I wish you were able To take more cash from people when they die.

Maybe they'll revamp the system for heists but right now you could rob a store with a person and they can keep all the money and you have no way of getting it if you feel someone is holding out on you.

if i put the explosive ignition in my car it will explode when an enemy gets in it and then i can get it with insurance right? it doesn't just go away permanently? can anyone confirm?

altho i'll admit it's quite fun jacking a 8k bounty on anyone who takes my ride, sitting in my apartment, and laughing my ass off

Astery

I wish you were able To take more cash from people when they die.

Maybe they'll revamp the system for heists but right now you could rob a store with a person and they can keep all the money and you have no way of getting it if you feel someone is holding out on you.

I never actually walk near to dead player bodies to pick up the filthy cash as they respawn just very close by and almost immediate, you'll just risk yourself for trying to go get them. :p

Last night one of my friends accidentally ran a guy over as he was getting out of his car and the guy flipped out and kept putting $9,000 bounties on my friend's head. Soooo I spent most of the night shooting him in the face and splitting the money.

The bounty system is hilarious but I'm getting tired of getting bounties from random NPCs who somehow get my phone number just to tell me I shouldn't have stolen their car.

mack999

Banned
Getting kicked from lobbies is getting a bit boring now. Why not set matchmaking to closed if you don't want randoms in? Having to join 5 different race lobbies to get a race when you pick a quick job on the phone can only piss people off.

Maybe change it to the way it works in the F1 game where a certain amount of people have to kick before you are dumped out.

Yeah, that was far too much effort for a $3k bounty.

it's the thrill of the chase and knowing you beat not only the guy with the bounty, but the whole lobby half of which was probably heading for the bounty as well. it's one of the most fun things to do in the game, and money has absolutely nothing to do with why

Astery

Getting kicked from lobbies is getting a bit boring now. Why not set matchmaking to closed if you don't want randoms in? Having to join 5 different race lobbies to get a race when you pick a quick job on the phone can only piss people off.

Maybe change it to the way it works in the F1 game where a certain amount of people have to kick before you are dumped out.

Yea, but the room settings is defaulted to match making ON every time iirc, it doesn't seem to remember what you have set the last time so I guess it's kind of rock star's fault to make it annoying.

it's the thrill of the chase and knowing you beat not only the guy with the bounty, but the whole lobby half of which was probably heading for the bounty as well. it's one of the most fun things to do in the game, and money has absolutely nothing to do with why

But the bottom line is that, when you're going after a $3k bounty, if you die once, assuming you've got enough money banked to lose the max $2k, it's already down to only a $1k profit. If you die twice, then you've actually lost $1k, and that's assuming you actually killed the bounty player.

I guess it makes sense for the people with only $2k banked or whatever, but if you've got anything approaching $40k in the bank, it just doesn't seem worth a long, prolonged effort that risks your own life to make such a small profit.

But the bottom line is that, when you're going after a $3k bounty, if you die once, assuming you've got enough money banked to lose the max $2k, it's already down to only a $1k profit. If you die twice, then you've actually lost $1k, and that's assuming you actually killed the bounty player.

I guess it makes sense for the people with only $2k banked or whatever, but if you've got anything approaching $40k in the bank, it just doesn't seem worth a long, prolonged effort that risks your own life to make such a small profit.

word if you think in terms of in game cash.

i just think in terms of fun. if i want to go after somebody the last thing i think about is my money in a videogame, i just hop on my motorcycle and go on a rad ass chase. what good's the money if you're not having fun anyway. hunting down a guy the whole lobby is after is hilarious and a thrill knowing that that dude is doing everything he can to get away. that's worth a lot more than 15k in my book. i'll gladly sacrifice my bankroll at any time if it means great times are had

Mastadon

Banned

Because it's fun? If you're going to worry about losing a few thousand dollars to the extent that you won't actually play one of the best aspects on the free roam, I don't know what to tell you.

True, most risk is gone. But I suppose if you do a big money job, then spawn back in free roam with the people you played with, there's a chance the people you played with will gun you down for the amount of cash you have on you in excess of $5k. It would be a dick move, but in GTA that's often the norm.

Friends only lobby. Not gonna play with randoms in freeroam because I'm not suicidal.

Top Bottom