• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

duckroll

I have an apartment (I think I bought the 230k one) but don't really have much money for buying cars yet. I have about 70k in the bank now I think. Just waiting for the 500k to drop so I can buy a Voltic and start customizing it.

I wish there were better things to spend money on though. Everything feels so incremental in Online. You spend a bunch of money on minor car upgrades or cosmetic clothing, and there don't seem to be larger end goals after getting a nice apartment. :/

Ted

Still, enjoyed the session with fellow Brit Gaffers later after that bitch fight.

This man is a... machine.

I was covering his back on Base Invaders, two planes destroyed one to go, then I got shot and die. Five seconds later I'm re-spawning and running back into the base and suddenly see a Cargobob piloted by a wild Dinger going full chat straight over my head heading for the delivery. Awesome stuff. Easiest 25k I ever earned. : )

Generally I've been having some great co-op play with the BritGAF crew. I think I've managed to play with most of the active GTAV crew apart from one or two who I get connection issues with or am simply too late to accept the mission and it is full.

Good going lads (and lasses?).

Ok so something you should know about Ted_wears_a_hat : if you're on a boat and a copter is chasing you, Ted will climb into another copter and ram it into the bad guys' helo. That was intense.

Hahaha. That was great fun. Those bastards weren't going to kill us again, no matter what it took. Considering they were AI we had quite a battle heli on heli, I thought I was done for when smoke starting spewing from the engine but somehow she just kept on chugging along.

My Mrs was watching and laughing at the outrageousness of the whole idea but you should have heard the cheer when "dosh has delivered the boat" pinged up on screen! Emergent game-play and all that jazz.

My favourite bit of that mission though I think was the way we took different spots on the hill to take down the enemy on the beach, I'm sniping folk and then suddenly BOOM the whole place is lit up by grenade explosions and you're legging it down the hill guns blazing. I couldn't help but chuckle.

Also, killing lawyers with style.

Dead lawyer... check.
Police after us... check.
Got a fast car...check.
Roof down....*whirr, buzz, clunk*...check.

Oh yeah, that's how we roll.

zma1013

What are the your guys thoughts on this glitch -- is it fair or bullshit?

Of course it's not fair. It's circumventing all the games systems. Honestly, I don't know how people get any enjoyment out of that sort of stuff. If I had everything given to me immediately in a game, I would get bored within 5 minutes of playing. Part of the enjoyment for me is the grind up the economical ladder. Perhaps there should be some higher rewards for some missions, but the situation is being overblown. In the early part, you should be more concerned with ranking up anyways. The more you rank up, the better missions you have access to that will grant you much better pay.

Plus, we're all going to get a bunch of money from Rockstar soon anyways. We'll all have enough to buy the most expensive house in the game I believe.

Finally got the mercenary jeep! Was a good fire fight to get it, outside some gun store after I sent the mercenaries after someone in retaliation for a bounty.

I also got a bounty using the fire hose on a fire truck.

1383737_10151939350905791_1229487647_n.jpg

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Awesome stuff.

See, us BritGAF dudes have got it right. No grinding, just doing missions and being awesome with each other. It's a damn pleasure.

Meant to join you last night after I got an invite (I think probably for thatBase Invaders mission) but was delivering a car to Simeon and so missed the fun. And then I got drawn into crazy police chases with a random guy, was so much damn fun. Sometimes the randoms in the game surprise you with how much of a good sport they are. There is very much a playground vibe in GTAO, and just like in real playgrounds there are great kids as well as the total dicks.

But none are as awesome as BritGAF. Except for Smalley or whatever his name. Still holding a grudge after he collected a bounty on me just as I was about to deliver a car. No loyalty. If you see that guy online fuck him up for me, your Crew Leader demands it!

Tawpgun

Later today, can a GAF st member call Mercs on me? I want me one of them jeeps.

If not im just gonna go after some high level players in hopes they get mad lol

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
See, us BritGAF dudes have got it right. No grinding, just doing missions and being awesome with each other. It's a damn pleasure.

I can never find BritGAF-fers on 360, that play late and on Free Aim. Still, I get to have fun with the GAF Street bunch.

Found the Cargobob last night. Kept nicking people's personal cars and leaving them on inaccessible rooftops. Marvellous.

I fall into the category of people who the glitch has ruined the game for them.

When I got the game last week my friends and I were grinding survivals and races for 5 hours a night and making good money and killing a bunch of fools.

Now, we all just sit seperately doing this stupid glitch and go buy whatever we want. We haven't done a mission in days.

Sucks. I'm 100% fine with them taking all my glitched cars/money away as long as they do it to everyone else who has done the same.

Foffy

Banned
Start>Online>Jobs, all that are unlocked are listed there and you can see which ones you've done or not.

I have done a number of them and they have no check marks. This includes winning. I don't get it. I won in Top Fun, but no check. I lost another mission and I have one.

well, they already allow for this in Single Player with rampage missions, so I don't see why not in multiplayer? A specific free roam tagged as a 'rampage' where you get to do the harm you want to do without fear of being made a dunce or getting a hugely restrictive death penalty.

Although I still think that the death penalty should be reduced. It's prohibitive to doing so much in the game ... I'm weary of riding motorcycles, climbing up ladders, and other things, only because... Damn, just lost a mission with an accidental death.

I fall into the category of people who the glitch has ruined the game for them.

When I got the game last week my friends and I were grinding survivals and races for 5 hours a night and making good money and killing a bunch of fools.

Now, we all just sit seperately doing this stupid glitch and go buy whatever we want. We haven't done a mission in days.

Sucks. I'm 100% fine with them taking all my glitched cars/money away as long as they do it to everyone else who has done the same.

the glitch doesn't affect your level at all so you guys not doing missions is dumb, you can't buy all the stuff until like level 100

you guys sound boring with tons of money running around freeroam being a hoodrat becomes fun as hell, especially with some friends to team up with and wreak everyone or find random stuff to do. well it's fun as hell if you're broke too but then you don't have to cry every time you lose a few Gs

I'm a member of Brit Gaf, but haven't played any matches with you lot yet. I did bump into one of you that told me to go easy on his nephew but then proceeded to smack me in the mouth.

I pretty much only do races though. So invite me if you're up for some clean races.

the glitch doesn't affect your level at all so you guys not doing missions is dumb, you can't buy all the stuff until like level 100

you guys sound boring with tons of money running around freeroam being a hoodrat becomes fun as hell. well it's fun as hell if you're broke too but then you don't have to cry every time you lose a few Gs

Well the tank is at level 70 and we are no wheres near that.

So now that we have all this money, we just have to run races over and over again for the next 4 nights so we can get our levels up?

It sucks. Shame on us for ruining the game for ourselves.

why do so many people enjoy clean races in this game?

no offense but if you enjoy clean races you have access to a system that can play gran turismo or forza horizon. if i wanted to race clean races i'd much rather boot one of those up. the controls and such in this game lean heavily towards mayhem over racing lines.

So now that we have all this money, we just have to run races over and over again for the next 4 nights so we can get our levels up?

or u could just do random missions. it opens the game up, as you don't have to go 'baww geralds missions never give good $$$, so we're going to play base invaders over and over and over again'

you can do an actual variety of missions and gametypes picking up RP along the way, not being handcuffed by the low payout of some.

tanks gonna take forever this way, i'm at like level 47 and it feels like ages to level up now. which is good. it's gonna take a lot of missions to get to that tank for me, and i'm fine with that. most addicting game i've played in ages.

dosh

My Mrs was watching and laughing at the outrageousness of the whole idea but you should have heard the cheer when "dosh has delivered the boat" pinged up on screen! Emergent game-play and all that jazz.
Haha, fantastic. When I heard the sound of the copter you had called for, I thought "okay, this is going to be interesting". It was.

My favourite bit of that mission though I think was the way we took different spots on the hill to take down the enemy on the beach, I'm sniping folk and then suddenly BOOM the whole place is lit up by grenade explosions and you're legging it down the hill guns blazing. I couldn't help but chuckle.
Yeah the gunfight on the beach was really cool. I didn't have access to the sniper rifle at the time and I hate feeling totally useless on a mission so I thought "yeah well, I've got grenades." It was really fun: speeding on the beach, braking, hiding behind the car, killing bad guys.
Fortunately the boat was far from the cars: chain explosions tend to destroy everything on their path.

Dead lawyer... check.
Police after us... check.
Got a fast car...check.
Roof down....*whirr, buzz, clunk*...check.

Oh yeah, that's how we roll.
My gf asked me why I was laughing so hard. When I explained, she decided to stay and watched the following mission. While you were ramming that other helo, she kept saying "are you sure your mate is ok up there?"

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

You could just... y'know, stop doing it.

#problemsolver

Grieves

Is BritGAF full? Is it by invite only?

I keep meaning to join but get easily sidetracked.

PSN: Grieves1 (in case I need to be invited).

tehPete

Banned
Given that money can be earned freely in the game world, all the LSC glitch is doing is allowing people to save time. I've got a week off've work this week so have more time to put into games, but between work and caring for family I generally don't get much time - certainly not enough to spend wasting half an hour or so bouncing between lobbies of an evening to get into a low-paying mission that you may not even reach the end of. The glitch has allowed me to quickly get to a point where I can play the game the way I want to with my mates, on the rare occasions that we're online at the same time - working around the various flaws and imbalances in the game itself, of which there are undeniably many.

It's a sandbox; by its nature, the gameplay is open-ended and allows for various different play styles - mine is served best by simply having a good setup. I've stopped boosting and glitching now that I've got the foundation's set, so that I've still got some stuff to unlock later on. I'm a pacifist for the best part, and prefer to spend my time giving lifts and helping people in trouble - it's not like I'm using my position to grief others :)

If R* were to punish anyone using the glitch, I'd prefer a creative angle; randomly stick a 9k bounty on people that took advantage for a few days, for example :) Have a laugh with it - it's just a game, after all!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I can never find BritGAF-fers on 360, that play late and on Free Aim. Still, I get to have fun with the GAF Street bunch.

Found the Cargobob last night. Kept nicking people's personal cars and leaving them on inaccessible rooftops. Marvellous.

lmao that is some master level trolling, I love it.

I hate to say it man, but you might be onto a loser with that free aim, I don't think many people use it at all. even I succumbed after the first day. It makes DM better sure, but it makes missions and shit so damn hard. When enemies can kill you pretty much with one good shot, soft lock is a must.

Although, I did notice that the free roam players in free aim were better people. I shudder to think of the shitshow that the "traditional GTA" lobby is like. All the people too dumb to change their settings to the superior softlock, together in a room. Uh oh

If it's on of the missions you have to queue up and go to a lobby, it doesn't take money away when you die. If it's in the free roam overworld then it will take money away.

What I meant is if you die an accidental death in free roam ... say you jump a bannister and it's a longer fall than you though, and you die, you lose $2k (assuming you have more than $40k). From levels 0 - 15 or so, $2k is about as much as you get for your average PvE mission. So that single accidental death just undid however much time you spent shooting ballas at the wall for Gerald.

It ends up making you extremely cautious. My classic example was when I started, i climbed Mt. Chilliad, got a parachute, and went to jump off... Only to miss my jump because of the "ease down" animation, and I fell to my death. It was hilarious. But then, spawning on the side of the mountain with no chute, I fell again with 1 step. Died again. Still funny. I then fell a third time nearer to the bottom and died a third time... So, I was like, oh that was all funny, then I realized I lost $6000 for one silly mistake, which at that point was an entire night's worth of play.

It went from being a funny moment of RAGE engine hilarity to well ... "shit... there goes my night. better not climb Mt. Chiliad again."

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
lmao that is some master level trolling, I love it.

I learnt from the master :)

I hate to say it man, but you might be onto a loser with that free aim, I don't think many people use it at all. even I succumbed after the first day. It makes DM better sure, but it makes missions and shit so damn hard. When enemies can kill you pretty much with one good shot, soft lock is a must.

Although, I did notice that the free roam players in free aim were better people. I shudder to think of the shitshow that the "traditional GTA" lobby is like. All the people too dumb to change their settings to the superior softlock, together in a room. Uh oh

Sure, I remember FA lobbies in Max Payne 3 becoming ridiculously sparse in a matter of weeks. You could always get a DM, but nothing else.

I have no problems playing missions with FA on, personally. It's a shit-ton harder but I really like the challenge... the guy who has to the call the helicopter in for the 90th time on High Priority Case, however, has a different story...

Are there any BritGAF-fers who play 360 and FA?

That would require them stopping their OCD bullshit and actually playing the game. Nahhhh, too much like work.

Haha! Performing mindless, soul-crushing routines over and OVER AND OVER... I get paid for that shit in RL.

i find free aim absolutely essential in freeroam and DM otherwise being in a vehicle is an instant death sentence in freeroam and DM is just, lol. but for missions i'm fine with auto aim, sometimes the screen just gets crazy full of guys. shame it's such a ridiculous process to switch between the two.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
i find free aim absolutely essential in freeroam and DM otherwise being in a vehicle is an instant death sentence in freeroam and DM is just, lol. but for missions i'm fine with auto aim, sometimes the screen just gets crazy full of guys. shame it's such a ridiculous process to switch between the two.

I have no idea why they don't impliment a similar procedure as they have for changing Crew. If you change aim mode online, it should boot you out of Free Roam and into a new more appropriate lobby.

#problemsolver

Dabanton

why do so many people enjoy clean races in this game?

no offense but if you enjoy clean races you have access to a system that can play gran turismo or forza horizon. if i wanted to race clean races i'd much rather boot one of those up. the controls and such in this game lean heavily towards mayhem over racing lines.

I sort of have to agree with this.

The chaos is part of the fun I was having a motorbike race yesterday 14 players on the server absolute pandemonium as we started. Managed to get into the top 5 me and the 4th position guy were battling, weaving through traffic coming straight at us. He tries to barge me off a bridge and instead mistimes and goes flying off. Cue me laughing as I take 3rd place.

todahawk

Wow, had a shit load of fun last night but my god are some of the missions glitching out bad and failing for no reason...

We had weird shit happen on 'Diamonds are for Trevor' and failed a few times and then it dumped my 3 buds out and left me as the host (level 40, 70 required)... fuck it, not quitting out and after 1 fail beat that goddamn mission by myself.

i find free aim absolutely essential in freeroam and DM otherwise being in a vehicle is an instant death sentence in freeroam and DM is just, lol.

I was thinking about this, and I'm guessing the difference between auto-aim and free aim is why some people think GTA Online is just full of griefers. The griefers that exist in free aim have a much harder time killing you, whereas auto-aimers have no problems at all. In free aim free roam, it isn't hard to just get away from a griefer, so they don't cause as many problems.

I almost think we nee a separate GAF crew for just free aim players. I hardly see anyone online, I'm guessing everyone is playing auto-aim.

NeoGiff

The funniest but greatest thing just happened.

I walked up to some random guy's apartment and buzzed him. He let me in and we had a few drinks, after which he took to bed.

UM4pa.jpg

I then left and waited for him outside in my car. I drove him a few blocks away, then booted him from my car. As he was jacking an NPC's car, I sneakily stuck a sticky bomb on the passenger side door. My plan was to make him feel safe and then blow him up completely out of the blue. Lo and behold, soon after, the NPC he jacked put a $1,000 bounty on him. The bounty notification was still on the screen as he was blown sky high. Quickest bounty collection ever? I think so.

I love this game (when it works).

louiedog

I was messing around in single player last night and in the back of my mind I kept telling myself not to do this or that because of the penalty before quickly realizing that I was allowed to do anything that I wanted because it wasn't GTA Online. I really wish I could bring my character into a 16 player anything goes sandbox. They don't have to give me money or RP. Just let me have fun.

E92 M3

Exactly.

I think they should make a chaos free roam that you can launch and enter like any game mode... Packed with weapons + sports cars. Just general shenanigans.

Yes, I've been wanting that since Online launched. It would be so much fun to just have crazy mayhem every now and then.

Of course it's not fair. It's circumventing all the games systems. Honestly, I don't know how people get any enjoyment out of that sort of stuff. If I had everything given to me immediately in a game, I would get bored within 5 minutes of playing. Part of the enjoyment for me is the grind up the economical ladder. Perhaps there should be some higher rewards for some missions, but the situation is being overblown. In the early part, you should be more concerned with ranking up anyways. The more you rank up, the better missions you have access to that will grant you much better pay.

Plus, we're all going to get a bunch of money from Rockstar soon anyways. We'll all have enough to buy the most expensive house in the game I believe.

In most cases, money is the limiting factor to just having some stupid fun and I assume when people glitch the game, they feel liberated to play however they want.

I was thinking about this, and I'm guessing the difference between auto-aim and free aim is why some people think GTA Online is just full of griefers. The griefers that exist in free aim have a much harder time killing you, whereas auto-aimers have no problems at all. In free aim free roam, it isn't hard to just get away from a griefer, so they don't cause as many problems.

I almost think we nee a separate GAF crew for just free aim players. I hardly see anyone online, I'm guessing everyone is playing auto-aim.

i for one would absolutely join a free aim crew. that's a pretty good idea.

totally agree about the griefing thing. having a bounty on you in aim assist, you kind of feel like you're just in a 'hit the right trigger faster' draw mode until someone beats you. but in freeaim, if you've got teh skills, you can take down all comers, or get away from them. the aiming at people in moving cars in particular is just absurd with lockon

with freeaim i can hop on my akuma and actually leave you in my dust without knowing bullets are going to stop me immediately from even having a chance at hopping ON my bike

Tawpgun

Free Aim makes everything better even missions*

*Except Survival. Shit is SO hard without auto aim. Can only make it to Wave 5-6.

dosh

I'm pretty sure most people don't even know about free aim. They're sticking to the default setting, the one they used while playing story mode.

Anyway, I'm on auto-aim too because GTAO missions take up 99% of my time online and they're next to impossible with free aim.

Is it possible to launch a death match w/o free aim? Do you have to change your single player setting, launch multiplayer, and then search for a DM game?

Top Bottom