• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I don't think it's the nerf that get's people, it's the resons why and how they implement the change. Making people bad sports for sitting in their usual hiding spot is a really retarded solution to a problem they created by not testing the damn game before release or putting the "beta" sign behind the online part.

They are making their problem our problem, and that is not how the world works.

No, I agree that the changes to Survival are daft (it's an open world game and enemies spawn in from all sides, everywhere in that area should be fair game). But it's the tone of "waahhh they changed something, fuck this game!" that's lame. Quit the game and move on with your life, or carry on playing and suck it up. IMO the amazing outweighs the dumb still in this game.

I haven't had that experience. I've made it to a whopping level 7 and about 20k in the bank after 3 hours of play and in free roam i've killed one guy and been killed once. I sort of avoid the white dots, run if needed and after every job, bank cash via the app on the phone.
YMMV.

Sometimes it's calm and peaceful, other times it's calm and peaceful and then a guy drives up and shoots you. There's always a risk. If you don't mind that then that's fine.

Finalizer

Doing boost races with Finalizer and I'm getting more and more like a drunk driver. Hit his car at the start, and ran into a parked car before that.

Edit: haha this time he hit the parked car.

There is only so much Criminal Records one can take before the mind goes numb...

Managed to fly off the road on that one turn a few times, somehow never hitting those posts on the side though. Made up for that by hitting the aforementioned parked car I suppose.

Lisker

No, I agree that the changes to Survival are daft (it's an open world game and enemies spawn in from all sides, everywhere in that area should be fair game). But it's the tone of "waahhh they changed something, fuck this game!" that's lame. Quit the game and move on with your life, or carry on playing and suck it up. IMO the amazing outweighs the dumb still in this game.

In a way I agree with you, but I also think it's good not to just take shit like that lying down. Rockstar is just out there to make money, they aren't here to give us the best experience ever! I think it's fine to disagree with changes and voicing your opinions, sadly that comes with a lot of "waah waaaah" too =P.

Setting out to create a second character to use as a proper bank...I'd forgotten that the tutorial is so god damn bad. They know it's my second character, why are they doing this to me again?

If you want to make sure to avoid conflict in public freeroam, you need to stand on top of a moderately high thing, preferably under a low roof of some sort, turn on passive mode, and not move. Fun for the whole family. It's actually good for when you need to check properties on your phone or whatever.

I've come to accept that public freeroam for all intents and purposes is the freeroam deathmatch people were asking for earlier. If you enter you gonna get ganked, not necessarily constantly, but at least suddenly, it's only a matter of time.

If you're low level and/or want to save up some money for a thing, stay in your garage/apartment/invite only session, start missions and spend money from there. Only enter the world if you don't have any money, or don't care about losing it, or progress for the random plans you'll make up.

I have mixed feelings. I like the penalty on death because it actually feels like you can hit players where it hurts when they annoy you and it gives you a sense of accomplishment. But on the other hand it creates a duality in the community, one side are the shy/scared people who just run from every white blip on the map, and hurry into a mission when they heat is on to them. And then there is the asshole who is just out there to grief people. It takes a bit of the "fun" out of the whole freeroam aspect. I get what they were trying to do it just feels rushed on a lot of fronts.

duckroll

wow i just tried Sandy Shores survival, they put a broken down van litterally right in the spot where you could shoot guys if you hid behind the tattoo shop, lol also instead of a wooden fence theres a slightly higher pile of cinderblocks or something where the AI can now blind fire over it and its almost impossible to hit them unless you manually aim.

i was waiting for the helicopter to start hovering in the line of sight too, but they didnt change that, it still hovers behind the building, im sure that will change soon tho

they've spent more time getting TU's out the door trying to change and alter the replay system for JUST those 2-3 NPC missions people were farming and now the one few spots in all survivals that was a good hide spot along with various other things, other than actually releasing the Heist and other content or the griefing issues and other stuff

but thanks for your 2 payments of 250k, ill really notice among my 30 some-odd million and garage full of adders.

i garuntee they're only giving everyone 500k because word came out that you needed a certain apartment to do heists and they want the good PR so nobody can complain about not being able to do the 1 hyped feature since before GTA 5 itself even came out.

In the Boneyard survival mission, that one roof that you can use for cover is now considered out of bounds and you'll fail the mission if you stay there. As I understand it, they've also nerfed other survival missions by blocking off popular cover locations.

What the fuck is wrong with Rockstar? It's really starting to feel like every day they get their designers to look at how people are playing GTA Online, and anyone who has found a way to actually get some enjoyment out of the boring as shit content available right now, is deemed to be playing it "wrong" and that has to be fixed immediately.

Instead of you know, just making good content and releasing it so people have something fun to play instead of having to think of creative ways to enjoy this piece of crap. :p

Acorn

What the fuck is wrong with Rockstar? It's really starting to feel like every day they get their designers to look at how people are playing GTA Online, and anyone who has found a way to actually get some enjoyment out of the boring as shit content available right now, is deemed to be playing it "wrong" and that has to be fixed immediately.

Instead of you know, just making good content and releasing it so people have something fun to play instead of having to think of creative ways to enjoy this piece of crap. :p
Call me a cynic, but this is all for cash cards. Survival paid well, they didn't like that.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
In a way I agree with you, but I also think it's good not to just take shit like that lying down. Rockstar is just out there to make money, they aren't here to give us the best experience ever! I think it's fine to disagree with changes and voicing your opinions, sadly that comes with a lot of "waah waaaah" too =P.

Oh yeah totally, still worth bitching about the changes for those of us that are still playing. Changing survival like that is super dumb. They made the geometry, they placed the survival in that location, they should allow the players to use everything and anything they can. Getting on top of the roof is clever, and less lame than hiding behind the hut in Boneyard for sure.

Call me a cynic, but this is all for cash cards. Survival paid well, they didn't like that.

I really don't agree with this, cash cards are for the same kind of market that grinds payment glitches - players who just want to be rich but don't necessarily want to play the game. Those of us that play survival win or lose, we're not the kinds of people who will buy cash. We take our lumps and move on with our game.

Survival will still pay well whether they nerf it or not.

0_0.jpg

My car is mating with a pink one O_O.

Gold Member
i'll have to look for that on boneyard....i'll occasionally play with randoms and they just run around and die quickly. the roof of that one building is fine except for choppers. it can get dicey if they have good angles on you.

yeah, i saw someone in that open rail car... he was last man standing and finished clearing the level from there.

i definitely need to find some spots on the other maps, haven't spent much time on them. industrial (iirc) didn't have much in the way of defendible spots but i only tried it a few times. a couple of my crew is 70+ so we've been doing higher level missions as of late.

if you're on PSN shoot me a FR, my id is todahawk
Ahh I'm on XBL unfortunately mate :(

Happy hunting though!

dosh

I agree that the changes in survival are stupid and disappointing, but not all content is boring. The missions you get at level 25 and upward require some creativity on the players' part (dat rooftop access in High Priority Case) and you're free to tackle them any way you want.

bLaiSe

So has anyone from here got put in a cheater lobby because of the LSC car glitch yet? I made 2 million with it and am a little worried...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I agree that the changes in survival are stupid and disappointing, but not all content is boring. The missions you get at level 25 and upward require some creativity on the players' part (dat rooftop access in High Priority Case) and you're free to tackle them any way you want.

Yeah sorry for bailing on that last night, mrs was making me stop :( that skydive was one of my top ten GTA moments ever though! Even though it was an utter failure.

Shadownet

Banned
There is only so much Criminal Records one can take before the mind goes numb...

Managed to fly off the road on that one turn a few times, somehow never hitting those posts on the side though. Made up for that by hitting the aforementioned parked car I suppose.

I lost count of how many time I did Criminal Records.

But it raised me from 26 to 75.. Yeah it's dead to me now.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
What's this about nerfing survival, they've blocked off all the normal hiding spots? That's really kind of lame, especially because I haven't gotten round to doing my 10 wave trophy yet, lol.

Acorn

Oh yeah totally, still worth bitching about the changes for those of us that are still playing. Changing survival like that is super dumb. They made the geometry, they placed the survival in that location, they should allow the players to use everything and anything they can. Getting on top of the roof is clever, and less lame than hiding behind the hut in Boneyard for sure.

I really don't agree with this, cash cards are for the same kind of market that grinds payment glitches - players who just want to be rich but don't necessarily want to play the game. Those of us that play survival win or lose, we're not the kinds of people who will buy cash. We take our lumps and move on with our game.

Survival will still pay well whether they nerf it or not.
Its more difficult to get a payout is my point.

dosh

Yeah sorry for bailing on that last night, mrs was making me stop :( that skydive was one of my top ten GTA moments ever though! Even though it was an utter failure.
Your voice was a bit muffled so I didn't immediatly understand what you were saying. At first I thought "Nah, they probably want to land on that roof, not skydive toward it. Wait. Why is he going so damn high in the sky?" And then I received Ted's text. You crazy bastards.

We did finish the mission after a few more tries (and a huge fuck-up on my part involving total panic, fumbling on the weapons wheel and an accidental sticky bomb). Sniping from the rooftop of a nearby building proved to be the way to go.

duckroll

To get to those content to begin with, it requires players grinding a significant amount of boring content. By making it harder for players to get to good content in a fun way, it makes the experience more of a drag. Furthermore, by restricting actual missions from being replayed at will, and by not having a proper menu system for launching missions you have completed automatically so you can replay the ones you like with friends, it makes the process of getting good missions, even at higher levels, a bit of a random thing rather a case of players simply picking what they find is fun and playing it with friends whenever they like.

I find that most of the design in GTA Online is backwards in this way, and it hurts the entire experience.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Its more difficult to get a payout is my point.

Only if you suck lololol

It is perhaps a little harder. But it's only harder if you knew about those choice spots to begin with. I never knew about them and somehow managed to claw my way to completing a few survivals. Being able to complete them every time would be bad and would defeat the rick/reward balance for the mode, the payout for them is massive but only if your team has skills.

I still think nerfing a roof placement is dumb though, if you can legit get there then you should be able to camp out there.

Come the R* payout soon every player will have an apartment and a decent car, I really don't think cash cards will be a big deal going forward.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

While the shaky start and their manner of dealing with things has been far from perfect, it seems like you're ready to jump on them at every turn and simply do not want to love the game at all.

As others have said, there are plenty of ways to be creative and get a lot of enjoyment both from freemode and other missions. If all you're concerned with is money money money then I can see why this would be an issue for you. But why even keep playing the game if you don't find it fun? It's almost like some people are playing GTAV (both on and offline) like it's some twisted second life, and they get bothered when living conditions/pay rise/promotion don't work out.

I often sit back and it hits me that I'm playing GTA together with friends who are thousands of miles away (something I dreamed about since San Andreas). I wanted to love the game from day one and it's paying off in this sense, not in terms of the space bux.

Sectus

I'm not getting the nerfs to survival mode. If they're gonna change survival mode, they should change how enemies can literally spawn right next to you. That's the primary reason I started finding hiding spots, so that wouldn't happen anymore.

It may be because I'm playing with a really small group of friends instead of full games (full of the type of online gamers that I hate in other games) but every time we play it feels like we're going through the motions, trying to unlock all of the things for free roam that Rockstar locked away from us.

I can't believe I'm saying this but we all agreed tonight we had way more fun with GTA 4's free roam despite that game having almost nothing to do in the free roam. Maybe it's because it was the first of its kind and now, 5 years later, it's not impressive anymore. I still think it's because Rockstar F2P'd all of the design decisions in this game and it drastically hurts the fun.

Everything feels like it was purposely designed to make sure you're not having fun. Got a fast car? Can't keep it, need to buy one for a ridiculous amount of money. Want to mod any car? Besides unlocking it all you need to pay like $10k+ to do it. Got a tank? It dies faster than most cars. Got a sweet jet or heli? Same as the tank, bounce it off the ground or a tree once and the heli will be smoking already. Want to do anything fun but semi-dangerous with your friends? Tough to do since you die almost immediately from anything in the game. I don't even know what body armor is for when you lose it in 2 bullets, even with the 75% armor which is what I have unlocked now (I'm level 31).

What really made us just lose hope in this game was Rockstar taking out the ability to launch almost anything with helicopter blades. I jumped from a roof on to my buddy's hovering heli and I just...died. In GTA 4 I would have been launched halfway across the map. That was like the disheartening straw that finally broke my back after experiencing all this other stuff.

GTA4 definitely worked better for just generally messing around. You can still do it in GTA5, but good vehicles and weapons are harder to find (and can be locked away until you rank up), and the stupidest thing is that you lose money every time you die. I can have fun and mess around with my friends, and then the realization afterwards I had lost 10k due to random deaths is a bit frustrating.

I think the entire persistence and progression system was a huge mistake. Just give me access to everything and all the missions from the get go and that would have been ideal. As it is right now, I doubt I'll see everything there is to do because I'm getting tired of repeating missions to rank up, and I don't like that the game punishes me for doing fun stuff in free roam with friends.

I also really dislike the fact I have to manually drive places in order to start up many events. I'm already tired of driving from A to B in the story mode, I don't wanna be forced to do that in the online too.

Acorn

Only if you suck lololol

It is perhaps a little harder. But it's only harder if you knew about those choice spots to begin with. I never knew about them and somehow managed to claw my way to completing a few survivals. Being able to complete them every time would be bad and would defeat the rick/reward balance for the mode, the payout for them is massive but only if your team has skills.

I still think nerfing a roof placement is dumb though, if you can legit get there then you should be able to camp out there.

Come the R* payout soon every player will have an apartment and a decent car, I really don't think cash cards will be a big deal going forward.
They are taking away defensible positions in a horde mode. It isn't a matter of "you suck lulz", it's circumventing the entire design of such a mode.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
To get to those content to begin with, it requires players grinding a significant amount of boring content. By making it harder for players to get to good content in a fun way, it makes the experience more of a drag. Furthermore, by restricting actual missions from being replayed at will, and by not having a proper menu system for launching missions you have completed automatically so you can replay the ones you like with friends, it makes the process of getting good missions, even at higher levels, a bit of a random thing rather a case of players simply picking what they find is fun and playing it with friends whenever they like.

I find that most of the design in GTA Online is backwards in this way, and it hurts the entire experience.

I'm approaching level 25 and have not "ground" once. Nothing even close to what I consider a grind. I also have my favourite missions/races bookmarked so I can host and play them with my friends whenever I want.

It's getting harder to understand what you're complaining about =/

Sectus

I'm approaching level 25 and have not "ground" once. Nothing even close to what I consider a grind. I also have my favourite missions/races bookmarked so I can host and play them with my friends whenever I want.

How does the bookmark system work? I noticed it makes certain missions stand out on the map, does it do anything else? Make it easier to vote for them or make it easier to start them?

Rrm

Neo Member
Only if you suck lololol

How would one NOT know about those spots? If you play a survival game mode you want to survive and will look for the best spots to do so. "Only if you suck lololol" kinda ironic now is it.

dosh

On all that, I agree. I almost added "of course you have to get to level 25 first", which can be tiresome. Although most missions at the beginning are not that boring. They're just too basic: drive to point A, kill everyone, retrieve stuff, drive to point B. Nothing stops you from trying crazier stuff though, but the game doesn't encourage you to do so either.

Also yeah, a way to simply replay cool missions with friends is pretty much what the game needs. The whole randomness of it all can be frustating.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
How would one NOT know about those spots? If you play a survival game mode you want to survive and will look for the best spots to do so. "Only if you suck lololol" kinda ironic now is it.

I don't know, just in the games that I've played neither me other players I was with went to those spots on those maps. And yet we still won the survival mode. Did it last night on Boneyard in fact, managed to hold the barn in the centre with good teamwork.

I totally agree that nerfing the roofs is super dumb, but the levels are still possible without them.

Acorn

On all that, I agree. I almost added "of course you have to get to level 25 first", which can be tiresome. Although most missions at the beginning are not that boring. They're just too basic: drive to point A, kill everyone, retrieve stuff, drive to point B. Nothing stops you from trying crazier stuff though, but the game doesn't encourage you to do so either.

Also yeah, a way to simply replay cool missions with friends is pretty much what the game needs. The whole randomness of it all can be frustating.
I wish I could replay the Los Santos Connection. I never get it anymore, I love the multi stage missions :(

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
That's one of the missions I was thinking about. Landing Strip is cool too, even though it's a classic from-A-to-B mission.

Is that the one where you have to land the little plane and kill the baddie's at Trevor's strip? Loved that one, I parachuted out and took out the dudes while my pilot circled around, such teamwork.

dosh

Is that the one where you have to land the little plane and kill the baddie's at Trevor's strip? Loved that one, I parachuted out and took out the dudes while my pilot circled around, such teamwork.

That's the one. And that's what we did with Ted: he jumped, I flew, waiting for the all clear. And then I promptly rammed the plane into a telephone pole while landing.

Dabanton

I did the same thing yesterday was awesome when steal the plane and you get the text. I was like I'll see you on the ground and jumped out the plane. Landed and flanked those gits on the airfield while my pilot came into land.

GavinGT

Banned
Love my car now lol

0_0.jpg

Everyone else will love it too, and it'll cost you like $10,000 every time you need to make an insurance claim on it. It's gotten to the point where I won't even take mine out any more.

Although it is funny when somebody jacks it and I switch my vehicle access to "Crew", thus instantaneously ejecting them from my car.

duckroll

I'm lvl20, I've played it for over 20 hours, and I have a regular crew from AnimeGAF I play with. I don't grind either. But I'm not having a ton of fun with the missions I have access to right now either. I don't really have any favorite missions or races which are available on the menu. There were some decent co-op missions, but you can't bookmark those, which is another issue with the way the game is designed.

The most fun I've had was just free roaming with friends, playing golf, and completing 10 waves of Survival. Other than Survival, the activities generally give jack all in terms of RP and money. Thus far, GTA Online is a completely underwhelming experience, and I was replying to the claim that the missions get much better "after you hit lvl 25". If after 20 hours of playing normally, I haven't hit that bar yet, it's obvious that it would actually require conscious grinding to get there in a quick way. That's not good design.

Alpende

Everyone else will love it too, and it'll cost you like $10,000 every time you need to make an insurance claim on it. It's gotten to the point where I won't even take mine out any more.

Although it is funny when somebody jacks it and I switch my vehicle access to "Crew", thus instantaneously ejecting them from my car.

Can't he just restrict anyone from entering the vehicle but him? If other players destroy your personal vehicle they have to pay the fee right?

Haines

Banned
I dont understand the survival complaints tbh.

It was incredibly easy to beat with zero creativity and or level/skill.

You guys are kind of being whiny.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
YMMV.

Sometimes it's calm and peaceful, other times it's calm and peaceful and then a guy drives up and shoots you. There's always a risk. If you don't mind that then that's fine.

I actually like that, but I want to do missions in the overworld as well, to throw that completely random element in there. have them be higher reward.

duckroll

Hmm they leave certain missions out of the that? Interesting.

The only missions you can join/host from the Jobs menu are the "generic" ones available on the map. Deathmatches, team versus missions, races, survival, parachute jumps, etc. The true GTA style co-op missions are given by story characters via text messages randomly, with mission availability based on your character level. It's pretty dumb.

I actually like that, but I want to do missions in the overworld as well, to throw that completely random element in there. have them be higher reward.

I think for what they are, the freeroam missions are pretty high reward. Early in the game delivering a car for Simeon nets a few thousand bucks instantly, which is a lot at low levels. Later on the stuff like the armored trucks and the crate drops are also pretty decent rewards considering the biggest challenge is really just other players coming at you for them too.

So Many Bullets

Neo Member
Hardly anyone accepts job invites with all the glitching going on, so I have been grinding out Gerald missions solo. I can complete Deal Breaker, Violent Duct, Pier Pressure, No Hay Bronca and Flood in the LS River on hard.

The key to beating these jobs solo, is staying put after you pick up the package. Get some cover and shoot up the reinforcements when they arrive, then you can take all the time you want to pick up cash and ammo. However, on No Hoy Bronca a van with four enemies shows up as soon as you enter the yellow circle. So on that job, I get on the roof directly opposite the deal, shoot up the guys there. Trigger the first van and get in cover, kill those guys. Right after that four more vans show up, deal with those guys then deliver the package. Then you have to go destroy some gang vehicles. This is the hardest part. I found the best way to beat it is to get on the roofs and fight it out from there. Use the slopes of the roofs as cover. There is no real place to cling to a wall so you have to keep moving, you will get shot at from lots of directions. After you destroy the first vehicle a group of enemies will spawn, I remember about 6 I think, and they come running so they may fan out between the buildings instead of coming wrapped in a nice neat package like a big van. After blowing up all the vehicles you have to chase down one last dude. Here I never caught the guy, but I got a mission passed any how. I was struggling to find a car after he spawned and he got a ton of distance on me. I don't know if he died in traffic or the game had mercy on me. I'll be ready with a car nearby next time.

On Flood in the LS river, I find sniping everyone from the hillside before driving down in the river way is easiest, but you could shoot it out down in the river. Before I unlocked the sniper rifle, I used the long orange barrier on the bank opposite the deal as my cover. Then I crossed the river after I killed enough enemies. Pick up the package and grab some cover. You get three vans arriving here and one may or may not drive up behind you, be ready for that. Kill 'em all, then a nice easy drive out.

Pier Pressure, Violent Duct and Deal Breaker are the easiest. Don't rush in. Get cover and kill everyone. Get the package and wait for the van to show up, kill them. Drive home, and in Pier Pressure there are no reinforcements, just shoot everyone then deliver the package

I haven't tried Meth'd Up solo yet, it just hasn't been offered. I'm level 24, I forget when it is unlocked, pretty sure I have it available though. But, Meth'd Up looks to be fairly difficult because I think enemies keep spawning until you reach a certain distance from the drop off zone with the RV. Shooting while driving is horrendous so I don't look forward to cracking that one.

Have any of you guys solo'd Meth'd Up or any of the other jobs where you fight AI? I don't really care to try Simeon's jobs because it usually involves dodging a wanted level while driving a car whose value will drop if you bang it up. And it always seems to rain in game when I get his jobs, making the drive that much more difficult. But I'll give it a go if it's worth the effort.

E92 M3

Man R* nerfing the survival (even though I don't play it) is really telling me that FTP is the model they ultimately seek with this game. I'll probably glitch a few mil with LSC, and not feel guilty at this point. FTP games aren't my thing.

Top Bottom