• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Rooftops are now off limits. You get a warning pop up and so many seconds to leave that spot or it's mission failed.

They also added vehicle wreckages near certain defendible points to give the enemy AI more cover and muddy up your sight lines.

It makes zero sense. It is damn hard regardless of being on that roof or not. Choppers can still destroy you and getting plucked when you pop up to fire still happens. It is mind boggling why Rockstar did it.

Damn man. I've never used the rooftops in survivals, but good to know.

Boneyard is still very beatable with 2 people, with 3 people it can be a breeze, and 4 people you have to really try to fail it.

Best way to beat it with 2 is to have one person behind/in-cover the trailer on the north side of the map, and another guy inside one of the small dumpsters near that trailer (there are two dumpsters next to each other -- take the one further from the corner of the building).

These two spots can get almost every angle the enemy comes from.

There's three weaknesses:
- If enemies get to the back side of the trailer, they have good cover. This usually only happens if the dumpster bitch is dead.
- The guy in the dumpster can be hit by helicopters but it's rare.
- Trailer man has to be able to cover ground running from one side to the other to make sure he doesn't get surrounded. Don't let anybody in front of the trailer, makes them unpredictable and a liability.

Otherwise, these two positions have great access to weapons & ammo, thy are very well covered, and you can dispatch almost all of the enemies pretty easily. I've done with this just two twice, but with 3 it's easier. Throw a third person inside the other small blue bin on the backside of the building, or on the opposite side of the trailer and it's a breeze..

A summer breeze.

GavinGT

Banned
Is that a new feature? Ever since I started having to pay my own fees, I haven't noticed a penalty from destroying another player's car either.

Maybe I'm wrong. It's what some random person told me in a Twitch chat. I avoid blowing up other player's cars so I don't know.

But 20k is just the cash reward for completing the entire sequence. You need to take into account the extra RP you can make during the Job itself, from killing enemies (25 RP per pop), and also the fact that you can get some pretty good weapons and ammo from enemy drops. Free body armor too. This makes the final waves pretty valuable, especially when you can grab stuff like higher end rifles, grenades, and rocket launchers.
Ammo isn't that expensive and the free high weapons aren't worth crap because you lose them all when you log off. If RP is your concern, I find racing (legit) more fun and probably more profitably, time wise.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Maybe I'm wrong. It's what some random person told me in a Twitch chat. I avoid blowing up other player's cars so I don't know.

Not sure about how correct the amount you / they have to pay is, but you definitely have to pay for blowing up someone's personal vehicle.

Breakdown Robot

Neo Member
Ran into the Survival nerf last night with my crew and was just confused as all hell at first. Instead of a "return to the mission" notice or something, a yellow blip pops up on my GPS pointing way out to the edge of the map telling me to "go to the shootout." Failed twice before we realized what was up. So dumb.

I'd feel better about it if R* also did something about players who join survival and then go sit in a corner somewhere, only coming out to farm ammo between rounds but otherwise not doing shit to help the team. We've had this happen a couple of times now, finally had enough with one guy last night and gave him a rocket launcher to the face. Feels good, man, bad rep threats be damned.

Next patch : Jobs removed. Turned out to be a too effective way of making money.
I'm almost surprised you don't have to gas up your cars.

Next patch:

• Walking now burns through sneakers
• Cars must be filled up at gas station before driving
• Must pay for driver's license
• Must pay for gun license
• NPCs can sue for emotional distress from firefights in streets
• Families of enemies killed during missions can sue

E92 M3

I'm almost surprised you don't have to gas up your cars.

Next patch:

• Walking now burns through sneakers
• Cars must be filled up at gas station before driving
• Must pay for driver's license
• Must pay for gun license
• NPCs can sue for emotional distress from firefights in streets
• Families of enemies killed during missions can sue

Surprised they didn't have those two, lol.

E92 M3

Oh quit being so dramatic. Yeah, that's why Rockstar is giving everyone $250,000 at the end of the week.

In all honesty, the 500k their giving is nice - but it won't take you too far. Some of the prices are very exorbitant.

Also, side question: If I purchase a helmet, is that the same one that will be put on when driving a motorcycle?

Lima

Also, side question: If I purchase a helmet, is that the same one that will be put on when driving a motorcycle?

No.

You can set the one you want from your inventory. Hold Back/Select and go to Inventory, cycle through the helmets and press X/Square to set the one you want when driving a bike.

dosh

I'd feel better about it if R* also did something about players who join survival and then go sit in a corner somewhere, only coming out to farm ammo between rounds but otherwise not doing shit to help the team. We've had this happen a couple of times now, finally had enough with one guy last night and gave him a rocket launcher to the face. Feels good, man, bad rep threats be damned.

Can't players be kicked from a lobby? I think that happened to me once, when I replied to an invite before getting kicked out by the host because I was only level 15 and the mission was intended for level 40s.

duckroll

Ammo isn't that expensive and the free high weapons aren't worth crap because you lose them all when you log off. If RP is your concern, I find racing (legit) more fun and probably more profitably, time wise.

Free high level weapons which you can't buy yet is incredibly valuable to me though. It's not about how much it's "worth" in the game rather that how much it's worth to me in value because after doing a full round of Survival with friends, I have a ton more fun messing around in all over modes in the next couple of hours. It might be gone when I log off, but I still got to use something enjoyable in the time I spend playing the game.

I don't enjoy racing much in GTAO, mostly because I find the races way too restrictive in terms of what you can use, etc. If the Content Creator were out, I could have more fun with it. Not digging what's available right now.

Free high level weapons which you can't buy yet is incredibly valuable to me though. It's not about how much it's "worth" in the game rather that how much it's worth to me in value because after doing a full round of Survival with friends, I have a ton more fun messing around in all over modes in the next couple of hours. It might be gone when I log off, but I still got to use something enjoyable in the time I spend playing the game.

I don't enjoy racing much in GTAO, mostly because I find the races way too restrictive in terms of what you can use, etc. If the Content Creator were out, I could have more fun with it. Not digging what's available right now.
Well I won't argue with what people like and don't like. We have different modes for just this reason. I don't like what R*'s done, but them screwing survival affects me little.

JPodz

Banned
Oh quit being so dramatic. Yeah, that's why Rockstar is giving everyone $250,000 at the end of the week.

I recommend everyone sending there complaints and recommendations to GTAOnline@rockstargames.com

In all honesty, the 500k their giving is nice - but it won't take you too far. Some of the prices are very exorbitant.

That's almost enough to buy a cheap garage, a parachute color and an extended magazine for my SMG. Might even have enough left over to get a $11,000 torso tattoo.

$500k total is more than enough for people. I've basically been playing since day one, have put in 11 hours or so (I did lose a character early on like most people), and have been rolling without a garage and apartment all this time. I like to screw around in freeroam, and yes while the respawn amount of $5k when you die is a little high, I really fail to see why people are bitching so much. I've now banked $110k or so selling cars, and when you factor in buying ammo, armor, weapons, etc I'm doing pretty well. Would I like an apartment right now? Sure. I'll get one when I get my stimulus package.

I really dont get why people are complaining about the stimulus package in the first place (be glad you're getting something), and if you just play the game and level up like a normal person and just enjoy the online portion, money shouldnt be an issue. I screwed around in freemode last night for an hour or so and died a few times in quick succession. Was I pissed it cost some money, sure, but I was having fun. I can easily make that back in 30 minutes of races and a couple jobs.

GavinGT

Banned

I have millions of dollars from the LSC glitch and I'm having trouble finding anything worth buying. The expensive cars are flashy but ultimately not much better than something you can find on the street. I can get a helicopter any time by killing the Meriwether pilot. Buying a plane is sort of pointless, since you have to go to the LS airport to get it and there's probably another plane waiting for you there anyways. Buying a tank or a combat helicopter is a recipe for an instant dunce hat. Car upgrades and an apartment might be the only worthwhile purchases.

E92 M3

No.

You can set the one you want from your inventory. Hold Back/Select and go to Inventory, cycle through the helmets and press X/Square to set the one you want when driving a bike.

Thank you, gentlemen.

$500k total is more than enough for people. I've basically been playing since day one, have put in 11 hours or so (I did lose a character early on like most people), and have been rolling without a garage and apartment all this time. I like to screw around in freeroam, and yes while the respawn amount of $5k when you die is a little high, I really fail to see why people are bitching so much. I've now banked $110k or so selling cars, and when you factor in buying ammo, armor, weapons, etc I'm doing pretty well. Would I like an apartment right now? Sure. I'll get one when I get my stimulus package.

I really dont get why people are complaining about the stimulus package in the first place (be glad you're getting something), and if you just play the game and level up like a normal person and just enjoy the online portion, money shouldnt be an issue. I screwed around in freemode last night for an hour or so and died a few times in quick succession. Was I pissed it cost some money, sure, but I was having fun. I can easily make that back in 30 minutes of races and a couple jobs.

I have never complained about the stimulus package, but in the grand scheme of things 500k isn't that much. It's nice, but not Earth shattering.

In terms of "leveling up like a normal person" that takes too long, especially when I can only get some solid time in during the weekend. They made this game a HUGE grind and anything that affects that grind gets nerfed. GTAOnline has a very FTP mentality around it right now. I understand R* wants us to play this till we retire, but there are better ways to do it. Personally, the aforementioned reasons is why I never played FTPs (except Gunbound lol) or MMOs - I just don't like the grinding.

I won't give up on Online yet -- lets see how it goes.

I have millions of dollars from the LSC glitch and I'm having trouble finding anything worth buying. The expensive cars are flashy but ultimately not much better than something you can find on the street. I can get a helicopter any time by killing the Meriwether pilot. Buying a plane is sort of pointless, since you have to go to the LS airport to get it and there's probably another plane waiting for you there anyways. Buying a tank or a combat helicopter is a recipe for an instant dunce hat. Car upgrades and an apartment might be the only worthwhile purchases.

Few questions: How long did it take for you to receive the call that air strikes are available? I'm 52 and only have the ammo drop. Isn't the airport closed?

JPodz

Banned
I'm level 20, have 110k and i havent grinded. I'd love better weapons, but screw it, i'm having fun. More people should care less about grinding and just enjoy the game for what it is.

You can spend a large chunk of that 500,000 just maxing out the upgrade for one high-end car. Everyone will have a high-end apartment by the end of the week.

Of course eventually Rockstar will probably release the super-duper high-end homes.

I have millions of dollars from the LSC glitch and I'm having trouble finding anything worth buying. The expensive cars are flashy but ultimately not much better than something you can find on the street. I can get a helicopter any time by killing the Meriwether pilot. Buying a plane is sort of pointless, since you have to go to the LS airport to get it and there's probably another plane waiting for you there anyways. Buying a tank or a combat helicopter is a recipe for an instant dunce hat. Car upgrades might be the only thing that's worth spending my money on.

I'm saving up to buy a buzzard. I think it will really come in handy on a lot of the jobs.

I'm level 20, have 110k and i havent grinded. I'd love better weapons, but screw it, i'm having fun. More people should care less about grinding and just enjoy the game for what it is.
I feel mostly the same way. I the missions I can solo, sell cars, grab crates, rob security vans, but I really need to cheat for those car upgrades – my Buffalo has no balls and drives like crap. After using Franklin I want a suped up Buffalo that I can use to carry a crew around.

You can spend a large chunk of that 500,000 just maxing out the upgrade for one high-end car. Everyone will have a high-end apartment by the end of the week.

Of course eventually Rockstar will probably release the super-duper high-end homes.
It'd be pretty cool if you could live in some of the individual homes up in Vinewood Hills.

Is it just me or is raising the Stamina and Driving stat like pretty hard? I'm only level 13, but I feel like with all the running and driving around I've done I should at least have 3 bars in each.

Also, do you have to go through the entire tutorial again when you start a new character?

duckroll

I really hope they not only release high end homes, but also different types of homes and customization options. There's so much lacking right now. Once they finally introduce Heists, they'll probably also have to consider adding tons of high value optional content too, since it wouldn't be a proper Heist unless everyone involved comes out of it with hundreds of thousands, if not millions. :p

Is it just me or is raising the Stamina and Driving stat like pretty hard? I'm only level 13, but I feel like with all the running and driving around I've done I should at least have 3 bars in each.

Also, do you have to go through the entire tutorial again when you start a new character?
I regret trying to preserve my driving stat in character creation. That is the easiest stat to level because its all yu do (unless you ride with a homie, I suppose).

To accelerate my stamina gain, I biked cross-country.

I also have my sneak up to 80/100 because I use it quite a bit walking into enemy territory, waiting for cars to arrive, walking into stores, etc.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I thought that was just for any helicopter location. It was a toss up what kind of helicopter you would actually find. Can you later call him specifically for a buzzard?

No, but he's only sent me to buzzards while on a job. I first started doing that around level 50, though.

I'm sure that'll be available - and all of that LSC cash floating around will fund it lol.
The hitch I see is that either they have to design unique interiors or you're gonna see interior layout that don't mesh with the exterior.

Also, I guess they'd have to let you own separate garages, unless you want to mysteriously store 10 cars in a two car garage. Honestly, I want the ability to own multiple garages; with all the cars in this game I could see wanting to customize multiple cars from multiple classes.

Arcteryx

A grind?

Sorry, but I'll grind/glitch to get the sideskirt unlocks that I want. Stuff like that shouldn't be hidden behind high levels; only weapons and (some) missions should.

Some ammo is inexpensive. Some is ridiculous. I spent 25k to partially refill my sniper rifle ammo after a night of missions.

E92 M3

The hitch I see is that either they have to design unique interiors or you're gonna see interior layout that don't mesh with the exterior.

Also, I guess they'd have to let you own separate garages, unless you want to mysteriously store 10 cars in a two car garage. Honestly, I want the ability to own multiple garages; with all the cars in this game I could see wanting to customize multiple cars from multiple classes.

Can't they use the interior from, say, Franklin's Vinewood hills house?
- early game spoiler

Is there a race that runs the perimeter of the map?

As soon as that content creator comes out there will be.

Question:

Are there multi-vehicle races?
Ie, you start in a boat, crash into shore, nab an ATV, go up a mountain, jump off with a parachute, get a sports car, drive through the finish?

If not, I want to make that.

If they don't let me make that one day, I will be disappoint.

Arcteryx

Question:

Ie, you start in a boat, crash into shore, nab an ATV, go up a mountain, jump off with a parachute, get a sports car, drive through the finish?

Not currently no.

Same goes for racing bikes vs cars(at least I haven't seen it yet). Seems like it's one vehicle type only :(

Tawpgun

Question:

I don't think there are any foot/swim races. Those would be kinda boring though.

There should be a cannonball run though.

Top Bottom