• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

zma1013

Hey Gaffers,

This question has probably been asked before, so I apologize if thats the case.

I¨m having a hard time making money, and I don't really know how to accumulate more money in less time. I do occasional races, but I still prefer doing missions. I sell cars, but they usually only gives me about 5-9K.

I have about 45K now, but thats because i'm trying not to spend any of it.

So, any tips or tricks on how to gain money in a not-so-time-consuming-way?

Find and play with higher level people who have access to the $20,000 missions.

educator

Races are probably the easiest way to make legit quick money atm. If you have someone to trade wins with it's even easier.

Thanks, I guess I'll just have to get used to it. I feel slightly handicapped (for lack of a better word) not having money. It would be nice having an apartment, but it feels like such a long time until I get there.

WhatRobEats

Thanks, I¨ll have to remind myself! Thats pretty good money if I keep doing it.

zma1013

I did, thankfully, get into a lobby with a guy who was level 43. That mission gave me 25K which felt awesome. None of my friends are that level though, so I guess it comes down to luck.

Another way is to grab the "Baller" SUV and sell them to Los Santos customs it pays 9k every 45 minutes or so.

48 minutes, to be exact. 24 hour day cycle, with 1 minute in game equalling 2 seconds in real life.

I even have an app on my Android tablet called Precision Timer. Every time I sell a vehicle to LSC, I reset the timer for another 48 minutes. It helps to remind me when the opportunity to sell arises again. Although I suppose I should be setting it for something like 45 minutes, given the travel time necessary to grab a Baller from my garage and get to LSC.

Dabanton

In sp there are naked cultists in the mountains. As punishment for glitching they should just replace the mp character bodies with the naked old man body. Ban them from clothes for a week or two. As well as take their money and whatever cars they have maxed out with mods. Races are seriously unbalanced now because the host has bought the most expensive super car and modded it fully with glitched cash.

This is also an annoyance I was wondering how the fuck I was driving skillfully and watching as other drivers fucked up and yet as I came to the finish line I would be passed by cars going at silly speeds.

Ploid 3.0

Trading cash for me has been greyed out for a while but I figured it was implemented by R* to stop the "laundering" of illicit glitch money.

I can't find anything online, is it a bug or was it implemented? Can anyone here give money to other players outside of sharing a job?

http://support.rockstargames.com/hc...says-unable-to-give-money-yet-I-have-so-much-

GCSLy0x.png

So uh, I've just been exploded in my personal vehicle after a brief chase trying to get home, and I have to pay for the insurance - so I am assuming my attacker didn't get a 'bad sport' message. This is new to me.

You both have to pay. Your attacker pays a small fine for blowing you up, and you also have to pay whatever the insurance cost is.

It takes more than the occasional instance of blowing someone's car up though. Otherwise I'd be a bad sport, but I've gotten the 'good sport' reward multiple times. Be honest, you've done more than that haven't you? :p

Yes, and everytime has been the result of some cunt trying (and failing) to grief me.

Ploid 3.0

When i'm slipstreaming it feels way too fast. Sometimes the speed messes me up and I bump into the guy or it gives me too much speed for a corner I'm approaching. It also creates a back and forth in which the two fighting for first place end up changing places, making it a better idea to just spin the slip streamer out to prevent the circle.

Because it makes you magically faster than the car in front of you

When people turn off slipstream in game I get so frustrated because it is basically a cheat that custom cars will win automatically because of their speed. Slipstream being on gives everyone a decent chance at winning and is quite fun to race people with. I feel like when it is turned off it leads to more people wrecking others on purpose because they will never catch them if they get ahead.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
When people turn off slipstream in game I get so frustrated because it is basically a cheat that custom cars will win automatically because of their speed. Slipstream being on gives everyone a decent chance at winning and is quite fun to race people with. I feel like when it is turned off it leads to more people wrecking others on purpose because they will never catch them if they get ahead.

Slipstream =/= catch up. And catch up = shit. You can run a perfect race and be caught by someone that you shouldn't have been.

Ploid 3.0

You mean "Catch Up" rubberbanding, slipstream can't be turned off. Also you can slip stream at odd distances and angles. It just seems wonky.

I assumed it was because I've been in races where slipstream didn't work and thought it was catch up. What does catch up do then?

Slow cars ahead down so people can catch up to them. Speed cars behind up.

Hey Gaffers,

I¨m having a hard time making money, and I don't really know how to accumulate more money in less time. I do occasional races, but I still prefer doing missions. I sell cars, but they usually only gives me about 5-9K.

- Selling cars once every 48 minutes. Set timer on your phone so you know when you can sell again

- Play Boneyard Survival.

- When you sign on rob a couple stores.

Should make about 40-50K an hour or so doing that.

You mean "Catch Up" rubberbanding, slipstream can't be turned off. Also you can slip stream at odd distances and angles. It just seems wonky.

Slow cars ahead down so people can catch up to them. Speed cars behind up.

Catch up makes you faster if you're not in the lead. You don't need to be drafting behind someone.

Alright catch up does suck then. I assumed they were mutually exclusive, but will definitely turn it off from now on.

Ploid 3.0

Last night during my 20+ win of criminal records. The key to winning for me was to make sure I nailed boost, trick people into blowing their horns at the start, and if I'm started way in the back wait until everyone knock each other out and stay back from the chaos to steal the win easily. Catch up was off. I had maybe one mod (alt character, with no "win race to unlock" race unlocks, was level 8 ended in level 21).

Also if you're in front stay in front by getting the person to hit the back of your car while you are going straight. Gives you a boost and slows them down. When turning it can make you turn a bit wide which can cause you to hit a parked car :(

Nailing boost:

Think of the thump that the count down makes as the beginning of a heart beat. It thumps and you make another thump right after. Imagine hitting your gas on your thump. When the Go thump is made by the game hit the gas and hold on your thump. Works every time for me.

I never get the Good Sport reward. I always see the message pop up saying that from time to time you'll get a reward for being a good sport but I've never actually gotten it.

And I'm pretty much the anti-griefer. The only time I kill anyone in free roam is when they have a bounty on them and the worst I do to other people's cars is shoot out their tires when they're in a store.

I have gotten Bad Sport points though because I got disconnected from a match and it said I quit a mission early when I loaded it back up. Lame.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Hey Gaffers,

Keep levelling and doing missions. I'm at 30 now and am regularly getting 9k missions, occasionally get a 25k beast of a job. Plus survival can net 20k if you win. Sell a car, go rob a store, jump into a race (and win lol), get back into free roam, do a mission, go do a race or a deathmatch or a survival or whatever, rinse repeat. I played for 2 hours last night and made at least 80k without feeling like I was grinding it. I was just playing.

Ideally, if you're low level, you will be raising one or two levels each play session. This way you'll also be unlocking better paying jobs and you'll get there.

IMO it's best to think of this game as a long term prospect. I don't WANT to be level 80 with a mil in the bank yet. I'll get there, but I'll enjoy the journey too.

E92 M3

Last night during my 20+ win of criminal records. The key to winning for me was to make sure I nailed boost, trick people into blowing their horns at the start, and if I'm started way in the back wait until everyone knock each other out and stay back from the chaos to steal the win easily. Catch up was off. I had maybe one mod (alt character, with no "win race to unlock" race unlocks, was level 8 ended in level 21).

Also if you're in front stay in front by getting the person to hit the back of your car while you are going straight. Gives you a boost and slows them down. When turning it can make you turn a bit wide which can cause you to hit a parked car :(

Nailing boost:

Think of the thump that the count down makes as the beginning of a heart beat. It thumps and you make another thump right after. Imagine hitting your gas on your thump. When the Go thump is made by the game hit the gas and hold on your thump. Works every time for me.

Thanks for the tip -- I was sucking with those.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
48 minutes, to be exact. 24 hour day cycle, with 1 minute in game equalling 2 seconds in real life.

I even have an app on my Android tablet called Precision Timer. Every time I sell a vehicle to LSC, I reset the timer for another 48 minutes. It helps to remind me when the opportunity to sell arises again. Although I suppose I should be setting it for something like 45 minutes, given the travel time necessary to grab a Baller from my garage and get to LSC.

Ah, good idea. I'm going to have to set a timer up in the same way.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I was in free roam last night and stole a car from an NPC. I almost immediately got a text message basically telling me that I done goofed and that someone was after me. Was that another online player putting a bounty on my head, or something happening from within the game? There was not a username referenced in the message.

Bossking

Banned
I REALLY love the bounty hunting system in this game. It might make me a dick, but I love hunting these people down, beating other people to the bounty, getting past whatever ambush this bounty guy may have set for me or just chasing his ass down. It's so awesome.

For the first time, I got a bounty put on my own head. I sold my car for a black and purple motorcycle (my character is a cool biker chick constantly rocking a helmet) and led four players on an off-road chase across Blaine County.

Highlight for me was going down a cliff, landing perfectly on a small mountain road and just stopping, only to see a guy in his yellow sports car fly off the cliff, right over me, only to explode on the interstate below.

E92 M3

I was in free roam last night and stole a car from an NPC. I almost immediately got a text message basically telling me that I done goofed and that someone was after me. Was that another online player putting a bounty on my head, or something happening from within the game? There was not a username referenced in the message.

NPCs can place bounties :)

I REALLY love the bounty hunting system in this game. It might make me a dick, but I love hunting these people down, beating other people to the bounty, getting past whatever ambush this bounty guy may have set for me or just chasing his ass down. It's so awesome.

For the first time, I got a bounty put on my own head. I sold my car for a black and purple motorcycle (my character is a cool biker chick constantly rocking a helmet) and led four players on an off-road chase across Blaine County.

Highlight for me was going down a cliff, landing perfectly on a small mountain road and just stopping, only to see a guy in his yellow sports car fly off the cliff, right over me, only to explode on the interstate below.

Sounds awesome - I've been addicted to my bike lately.

Also, guys: How do I go about removing the body armor from outfit? Seems like it's glitched on even after death. And whenever I level up, my health upgrade always says 40/100 and hasn't gone up for a while...what is that all about?

Bossking

Banned
NPCs can place bounties :)

Sounds awesome - I've been addicted to my bike lately.

Also, guys: How do I go about removing the body armor from outfit? Seems like it's glitched on even after death.

Select button, go to inventory. You can cycle through permanently wearing armor/helmets/hats etc.

snacknuts

we all knew her
How often do you guys use passive mode in free roam? Everyone is (justifiably) always complaining about getting killed for no reason, but I just use passive mode and it's not a problem.

Batigol

Banned
How often do you guys use passive mode in free roam? Everyone is (justifiably) always complaining about getting killed for no reason, but I just use passive mode and it's not a problem.

Never.

I usually run people over and kill them if they're passive though

Bossking

Banned
I can never get upset enough to go passive mode.

I CAN get upset enough to track down whoever killed me, kill them, take their car, and either ditch it somewhere after shooting out all the tires, or sell it to Simeon if I get lucky.

Yesterday, I was minding my own business in a public room. I don't bother anyone, I just like to drive around and fiddle with my cars and see what other people are up to.

I get a message that someone has a put a $1000 bounty on me, I never did anything wrong to that person! Wasn't even an NPC that I stole a car from.

So I'm in LSCustoms fiddling with my dope whip and I pull out, spin the camera a few times while im in the parking lot checking out my new rims... BAMM. Someone Lee Harvey Oswald'd me right through the windshield. The fuuuuuuuck.

So I spawn around the corner and get myself set up a cross the street with my sniper behind a bush. He drew some cop attention so there was some ruccas going on in the area, so I'm waiting for him to turn the corner so I can blast him one in the chest. Turns corner... POP. Dead. Fuck... it was a cop. Shit just got weird.

Now I'm running for my life because of this douche bag. Such fun.

bLaiSe

Again:
Am I not seeing the crate drops because I wasn't doing Ron's mission when they were first available? I'm lvl 55 now and they still don't send the message when a crate is coming no matter how many missions I do for him...

I have the opposite problem. I wish more players would put bounties on me because running for my life IS fun as hell for me. But that might just be because I have an awesome bike.

I meant "Such Fun" in a good way. I knew the risks of my actions. I was willing to run away from a 3 star chase. That don't scare me.

My new favorite thing to do is pull up to random people and see what they are up to. 99% of the time they just shoot and kill me. In which case I set up with my sniper from where I spawn and just pick them off.

Also yesterday, Some guys crashed a car into a store way up north, I pulled up to see what was going on and they killed me. I spawned a block away and I see them, through my sniper scope, standing on top of my newly chromed bugatti and are bashing it in with a bat.

6774750_std.jpg

Their death was sweet.

Top Bottom