• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

E92 M3

Lol I get that they're fucking up on multiple fronts right now, but would you guys please stop freaking out about a comment from a random person on their site? He obviously has no idea what he's talking about, and everybody going crazy without any proof is how rumors spread.

Geez.

No one is going crazy, we're just frustrated with the direction R* is taking this game -- confirmed change or not.

Tawpgun

Perhaps GTA Online was a bit too ambitious of a project. They definitely seem to be struggling on how to balance certain things to make for an optimal experience. I think at its core they are focusing on the grind for higher levels a bit too much. I remember reading about how in GTA Online, Money was king. It was all about amassing money because that is what GTA has ALWAYS been about. But money takes a back seat to rank most of the time.

People are complaining about mission payouts getting cut when you replay a mission but that doesn't really bother me.

Some good news too -- they've announced they're working on adding PvE / Character-given jobs to the playlist screen for what's next. Very happy about that. I'm hoping they have 1 slot for a PvE job on there, and then the other 5 are random whatever missions. It stinks to do a PvE and then have to back out to the lobby and then get another mission and then invite people etc etc.

Acorn

People are complaining about mission payouts getting cut when you replay a mission but that doesn't really bother me.

Some good news too -- they've announced they're working on adding PvE / Character-given jobs to the playlist screen for what's next. Very happy about that. I'm hoping they have 1 slot for a PvE job on there, and then the other 5 are random whatever missions. It stinks to do a PvE and then have to back out to the lobby and then get another mission and then invite people etc etc.
It wouldn't be an issue if there were more missions or the characters stopped giving me the same damn missions everytime.

I looked over a list of missions before and there is a bunch that have unlocked that I've never been offered.

Most likely...GTA V is such an amazing game - and these shenanigans with Online are putting a sour taste in my mouth. It's like two completely different teams designed this game.

Maybe not two completely different teams but it is a different team from the team that made core GTA V.

I'm assuming this is a temporary screw up? As bad as Rockstar's been with this game this would be incredible. They're going full blown slave-driver now with the way they're treating the player base with this game.

I half expect them to come to our houses and actually whip us every time they hear us laughing over the mic while playing the game.

I'm pretty sure it's on purpose. They tried to call the replay going away a 'bug' lol

I understand that there are some things you are never going to figure out until you launch, but they had people test this and they set teh amount of money you should get. It's irritating as hell that all they have done is just reduce that over and over again.

edit: now I basically have no one to help run the lvl 65-70 mission I get, Thanks!

I'm glad I saved my money. If they add the extra I'll have enough to get something big. Otherwise I'd just have to grind with the new amounts.

Just had some random level 20somethings get auto invited and joined to my level 40 mission, so I dont think the "must be of appropriate level to join" stuff is true. Or at least, if something is keeping people from joining, it isn't as simple as a new level restriction.

It wouldn't be an issue if there were more missions or the characters stopped giving me the same damn missions everytime.

I looked over a list of missions before and there is a bunch that have unlocked that I've never been offered.

Yeah, you really ought to be able to trigger the missions you want to play. I don't really get the whole "phone call / text" mission system ... Every other mission in the game you can drive to a point and start playing it. *except* for the PvE missions, which you need to hope to get a phone call or a text at the right now ... it's .. weird.

Acorn

Yeah, you really ought to be able to trigger the missions you want to play. I don't really get the whole "phone call / text" mission system ... Every other mission in the game you can drive to a point and start playing it. *except* for the PvE missions, which you need to hope to get a phone call or a text at the right now ... it's .. weird.

They should just have it set up like single player. Go to the M (or l etc)icon and get the next mission, if you want to replay do it in the voting screen or pause menu. Some things are just so obtuse in this game.

Lol I get that they're fucking up on multiple fronts right now, but would you guys please stop freaking out about a comment from a random person on their site? He obviously has no idea what he's talking about, and everybody going crazy without any proof is how rumors spread.

Geez.

The sad part is that regardless of whether it's true or not, it's believable.

Shadownet

Banned
I don't know about you guys but is anyone bored with the missions in GTA 5 Online?

It's either steal this, kill that guy or destroy that.

I mean team deatchmatch is fun but the running mechanic is wonky at time, trying to turn a corner to hide is slow as heck. Racing is still fun.

But actual missions are repetitive.

They should just have it set up like single player. Go to the M (or l etc)icon and get the next mission, if you want to replay do it in the voting screen or pause menu. Some things are just so obtuse in this game.

Except then people hanging around there or people camping those spots. Being able to do them from anywhere is a good thing. You call someone, ask if they got any work and you get a mission to you can choose to do.

Arcteryx

I think that comment about missions being locked to certain levels is bs. I'm doing a lvl 55+ mission and have a 50, 34, and 44 with me.

So now the penalty for death is a meager $500? I think that's bullshit!

Why do devs always listen to the crybabies?

The death penalty at $2000 was ridiculous. For anybody who is level 1 - 20, that effectively negated any mission they played. At $2000, if you played any PvE mission, youd make like $3000, and given buying armor ($300) and ammo (let's say.. $100), you'd be getting about $2500. And... one death in free roam takes almost all of that away?

It was nerfing free roam and making exploration of the game world very prohibitive.

But, if you're the kind of person who glitches to get $5million or who grinds for 10 hours a day.. losing $2000 is nothing. You shouldn't have to grind or glitch to not have an exorbitant punishment. There is no compelling argument to having a steep death penalty in an open world game like GTA.

The death penalty at $2000 was ridiculous. For anybody who is level 1 - 20, that effectively negated any mission they played. At $2000, if you played any PvE mission, youd make like $3000, and given buying armor ($300) and ammo (let's say.. $100), you'd be getting about $2500. And... one death in free roam takes almost all of that away?

It was nerfing free roam and making exploration of the game world very prohibitive.

But, if you're the kind of person who glitches to get $5million or who grinds for 10 hours a day.. losing $2000 is nothing. You shouldn't have to grind or glitch to not have an exorbitant punishment. There is no compelling argument to having a steep death penalty in an open world game like GTA.

GTA is not a game where death is supposed to have meaningful consequences.

Arcteryx

hahaha oh wow, I just noticed that the post-mission selections have been trimmed from 6 to 4(still have 2 refreshes). Thanks Rockstar, even less stuff to choose from now...

hahaha oh wow, I just noticed that the post-mission selections have been trimmed from 6 to 4(still have 2 refreshes). Thanks Rockstar, even less stuff to choose from now...

.. The hell?

That's exactly why the "no-playing-with-friends-different-level" rumor was so believable. Because bizarre decisions like this are made. maybe it's related to this post:

http://support.rockstargames.com/hc.../200321016-Upcoming-Change-to-Job-Vote-Screen

This is an official Rockstar announcement concerning a change to the next job vote screen. Due to high demand from the community, we are adding jobs from contacts to the voting screen. This change will be coming soon, but there is not an exact ETA at this time.
Essentially, this means that jobs from Gerald, Simeon, etc will all be available on the voting screen along with races, parachute jumps, and other missions. This feature is being added directly based on feedback from you, our community, so please keep posting your ideas and thoughts on the game. If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below.

That said, if it's unrelated ... it just doesn't make sense, especially given how long it takes to get back into free roam, and the likelihood that you're broken up from your friends when you do go back to free roam.

Just learned about the "utility bill" that you have to pay when you own an apartment.

Might as well just go back to "real-life. :p

Haha, another thing that I just don't understand how it got approved or passed design review. "Charge gamers a fake utility bill in their fake videogame apartment." Somebody had that task to code this. And nobody asked (or someone did and it was shot down), "why are we spending time coding in a utility bill that will only serve to annoy people?"

Real question tho -- what happens if you do not have any money in your bank account when the bill comes? I thought about that w/ the mechanic fee ($50, it's weird, but I don't really care because it's so low)... What happens if you have $0.00 in your bank, like if you just bought a car or guns or something?

Falt

Based on what's happened lately with roofs now of limit in survival, mission payouts getting massively nerfed and halved on replay, quick replay or replay not being available in some cases how on earth do you expect us to react to something that fits into patterns of what they're already doing???

Quick pitchforks my ass, if they were R* pitchforks they'd be locked until level 100, cost $2 million and only be usable once every 45 minutes.

Personally, I don't share any of these gripes. GTA online bleeds money. And now with the reduced hospital bills your bank account is safe from the woes of free roam.

It's week 3 and everyone expects a high end apartment, a fleet of luxury cars and a buzzard to just fall into their laps. These balance issues were expected. Compare Base invaders (25k) to Los Santos Connection (16k). A mission with 2 objectives versus a mission with 4-5 objectives, a difference of 9k in payout for an arguably easier job. How that made it through testing baffles me.

It's not like Rockstar locked the core gameplay (the fun) behind a high end apartment (I know, I know. Heists but still). Forget about money and just play for fun. Since the connection issues have pretty much cleared up 100% for me I'm having a ball.

bobthefork said:
edit: now I basically have no one to help run the lvl 65-70 mission I get, Thanks!

That's not the case. As I said earlier, I've been playing a level 40 mission with a lower level friend today with no trouble. This whole debate spawned from a comment left on rockstar's patch notes post. About as credible as a youtube comment.

Just learned about the "utility bill" that you have to pay when you own an apartment.

Might as well just go back to "real-life. :p
It's not bad, but it is pointless. If it was $1000 a day, it'd be like WTF. At $100 its more like, "What's the point?"

Also, what happens if you're broke at the time? I'd hate to think the game would evict you and you'd lose all your cars.

Acorn

Except then people hanging around there or people camping those spots. Being able to do them from anywhere is a good thing. You call someone, ask if they got any work and you get a mission to you can choose to do.
Fair point but something needs to be done to allow you to rely on more than random chance to get a new mission - especially with the nerfs to replayed missions.

Arcteryx

Personally, I don't share any of these gripes. GTA online bleeds money. And now with the reduced hospital bills your bank account is safe from the woes of free roam.

It's week 3 and everyone expects a high end apartment, a fleet of luxury cars and a buzzard to just fall into their laps. These balance issues were expected. Compare Base invaders (25k) to Los Santos Connection (16k). A mission with 2 objectives versus a mission with 4-5 objectives, a difference of 9k in payout for an arguably easier job. How that made it through testing baffles me.

It's not like Rockstar locked the core gameplay (the fun) behind a high end apartment (I know, I know. Heists but still). Forget about money and just play for fun. Since the connection issues have pretty much cleared up 100% for me I'm having a ball.

That's not the case. As I said earlier, I've been playing a level 40 mission with a lower level friend today with no trouble. This whole debate spawned from a comment left on rockstar's patch notes post. About as credible as a youtube comment.

It's $12,500 vs $8,000 now. I agree that they need to tweak the two(LSC actually takes some effort/time with all the objectives), but still...$8,000 for a ~15 minute mission is silly. I can make that much in 2, 2 minute races.

Re: utilty bills

If you don't have cash the lights, radio, tv, shower, and mechanic don't work.

Just spent like 15 mins chasing a guy on his bike with my Maverick Helicopter. He must have been scared or something because he was driving very erratically lol. It ended with him finally getting off of his bike and me swooping down and landing on top of him, killing him instantly lol.

Foffy

Banned
wait... wait...
just read this comment on the Rockstar site:

Let me repost that:

Friends can NOT join if they are not at the rank of the mission/job

Is this for real?

This can't be for real.

If that's real, Rockstar just destroyed this online game

If this is true, I'll probably stop playing. I know for a fact that all of my friends will stop playing. When the only PvE missions available from rank 0 - 20 are "Ballas at the Wall" or "Help I've been Robbed!" from 2 NPCs... you just can't do that. I ranked up my guy (I'm like level 26) just so that my friends and I could play interesting jobs, and FINALLY we got the chance to play some interesting jobs once I got to level 25. But... if now none of my friends can join those, if none of them can play survival missions, if they can only do "Ballas at the Wall" and death match ad infinitum ... That's the end of the game, we're not playing anymore.

On some level, I can guess why for some missions. At certain ranks, players get specific things unlocked, and within my experience, people underneath those ranks are often underpowered for a lot of that stuff. Even stuff like a rank 25 deathmatch can be nothing but getting fucking bodied if a rank 5 dude joins, as he's missing every long range weapon between that rank and the rank that unlocks the mission. The other end of that is entirely based on what you're upset about, where it's less about being geared up for something and just being able to do it. In truth it could be a bit of a hard rope for Rockstar to walk when making a decision, but I do think what they have had in place was fine enough. The solution to a potential problem I raised could be solved by those either handling that handicap or doing it later. That's better than being barred until later.

E92 M3

It's not bad, but it is pointless. If it was $1000 a day, it'd be like WTF. At $100 its more like, "What's the point?"

Also, what happens if you're broke at the time? I'd hate to think the game would evict you and you'd lose all your cars.

You go to bankruptcy court with the honorable xxnoscopemlg432x residing.

Chump change. Less than $200 a day. I think its like 25 for something and 75 for something and maybe a 50 dollar charge for something else.

Yeah - that's nothing.

CaptNink

Real question tho -- what happens if you do not have any money in your bank account when the bill comes? I thought about that w/ the mechanic fee ($50, it's weird, but I don't really care because it's so low)... What happens if you have $0.00 in your bank, like if you just bought a car or guns or something?

That's what I want to know. Maybe the lights go out and you can't watch t.v. :D

Omni

I still can't believe how shitty helicopters are in this game. The ones with guns arguably have the biggest potential to be fun... But they're so ridiculous. I got into a Blackhawk-type thing with mini guns and I couldn't hit shit, let alone anyone who isn't standing still.

I honestly have to wonder if anyone at R* is able to use them effectively and as such are just oblivious to the problem.

Derrick01

Banned
So now the penalty for death is a meager $500? I think that's bullshit!

Why do devs always listen to the crybabies?

Yeah now people can actually play the game a bit and not worry about people killing them (especially when everything kills you so fast in this game) and losing all their money.

Tawpgun

I still can't believe how shitty helicopters are in this game. The ones with guns arguably have the biggest potential to be fun... But they're so ridiculous. I got into a Blackhawk-type thing with mini guns and I couldn't hit shit, let alone anyone who isn't standing still.

I honestly have to wonder if anyone at R* is able to use them effectively and as such are just oblivious to the problem.

GET GOOD SON.

So far I haven't seen anyone dominating in helicopters or jets yet.

But I remember some months down the line in GTAIV there were a select few people that god INSANELY good with the miniguns on the Blackhawk. And it didn't even have a reticle for aiming. It was much harder in GTAIV but people would wreck shit with those things.

I'm actually glad the helicopter's controls suck. You won't have people dominating the entire session with them.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
why does everyone bitch when the game is set to gta race? gta race is fun as hell. sure ammo is expensive but you get so much money from races it doesn't even matter.

team gta race with cops on is amazingly fun. an all out brawl and cop chase in one. it's hilarious.

My single experience with GTA Race was one on a bicycle. I was in second place, far behind the leader; when I approached the finish line, the leader was waiting for me and killed me. Being on a bike, it was extremely easy to do. So yeah.

RotBot

The nerfed Annihilator might as well not have weapons. In GTA IV, the minigun had explosive rounds with splash damage, and you could blow up cars with it. In GTA V, if you put one person in an open field with a pistol and another person in an Annihilator, the person with the pistol will likely snipe the pilot before the helicopter gets a single hit with the minigun. You can also keep the minigun locked on a car for 10 seconds, and it won't blow up.

The Lazer has rockets and explosive minigun rounds, but the draw distance means you can't see other players until you're close enough to be one second from crashing into the ground. If you're really good with it, you can start pinpointing the rockets after a few passes.

The only aerial weapon that poses a threat is the Buzzard's rockets, especially with a copilot manning the camera. It's almost too easy to get kills with it.

Ploid 3.0

You can't use electronics, water, etc in your house, and your mechanic will not be there to bring you cars. You cars probably won't repair themselves when you bring them in the garage too, I didn't see that though. I watched a stream of a guy that had a apartment and tried to get away with having fun in free mode dying a lot (for the streamers entertainment). He paid for his sins with not being able to pay his utility bills. The lights out and nothing working even the portable radio in the bedroom was a pathetic sight.

You can't use electronics, water, etc in your house, and your mechanic will not be there to bring you cars. You cars probably won't repair themselves when you bring them in the garage too, I didn't see that though. I watched a stream of a guy that had a apartment and tried to get away with having fun in free mode dying a lot (for the streamers entertainment). He paid for his sins with not being able to pay his utility bills. The lights out and nothing working even the portable radio in the bedroom was a pathetic sight.

Well, that's pretty awesome to be honest, hahaha

Top Bottom