• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Easiest way is to use your 2nd character, choose it as the intro race car, and then transfer it with the help of someone to your other character.

Will have to do that at this rate, having no luck getting this race spawn thing to work for the vehicle.

I have gotten only 2 to spawn in my game. Keep checking Royal majestic's movie studio's blue car park and the golf course.

I keep checking there every so often, but have had no luck.

is it a bug or are weapons you get from crates only temporary?

I found a crate with 5k rp and $ and a minigun with 9999 ammo yesterday. After the next death it was gone.
I was looking for those crates, primarily for the weapons, but only found weapons I allready had (3 times Sniper). First weapon I hadnt have was the minigun, but its gone now :/
So crates only seem worth it for the admittedly high RP bonus as you can get the weapons way easier through survival missions if theyre only temp.

Aye... I think it's temporary to that session, which stinks, similar to if you get one in survival missions. I wish that you got them until you used the ammo up... So they persisted over servers/sessions/deaths, but just until you ran out of that drop of ammo.

I've never seen a drop from a crate yet. Also, disappointed by the dearth of rewards in the gang wars... It's like one crate, usually with a small amount of cash, and a sub machine gun haha.

That's always when I have the most fun. I feel they should have focused more on free roam activities, rather than instanced missions. Maybe next gen we can have 36 players per lobby; that'll be great.

Agreed. I think a lot of it is server limitations... but I wish there were more activities in the free roam. Until you get to level ~20 or so, there's basically nothing in the free roam at all. And then in the 20s you unlock crate drops, gang hideouts, armored trucks.. Although I still haven't seen a crate drop or an armored truck yet.

In the previews, you know they staged a lot of the activities too... They mentioned how you can be racing, and somebody else can be in the free roam and you can see them interact, etc... ANd that's only true if you do a "Quick Race" or whatever, which in 20 hours of play, I've never seen or done any of them. I did a quick death match only once, as well. From the previews, the world was seemingly described as a lot more seamless than it is. It sounded like your missions happened seamlessly in the free roam world, but in reality, you're removed from the sandbox and put into a "mission" instance of the world, where you do your job, and then head back to the sandbox instance of the world... A different one than you were in.

In some ways, that's an improvement -- for instance, it would suck if you could only do missions with other people in your instance of the free roam. But, in most ways, it's not truly what I think most expected from this game.

I've never seen a drop from a crate yet. Also, disappointed by the dearth of rewards in the gang wars... It's like one crate, usually with a small amount of cash, and a sub machine gun haha.

Yeah I quite like that gang wars to start are almost everywhere, but once you hit the later levels the rewards are just too weak. The crates should be bonus. Clearing a hideout should give an a payout to everyone involved.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So last night I was playing and through some scenario I don't fully remember the cops impounded my customized f620 I ended up getting booted out of online shortly thereafter.

I log on today and go to my garage the f620 is not there. Go to the Impound lot, not there. Is it recycled metal by now?

paolo11

I will start playing online tomorrow PST and if you want some boosting or coop, feel free to add me. PSN mchiefing.

I just need to get the solid gold trophy then I am done with single player. First GTA game that I completed 100%.

Amneisac

I'm more and more convinced that Rockstar don't really know how to make a good game. They have created this amazing sandbox, and they have no idea what to do with it. So many missions with stupid time limits, they are actively discouraging people having fun in free roam with wasted fees and having to pay insurance on some jackoffs car who was trying to kill you, huge delays between the action if you don't want to just do deathmatch and races constantly, etc.

I think they have created a technically excellent game (I know the hardware is holding it back, but I mean as far as how things function), but they have no idea how to design fun content for it. This extends to the single player as well. It's just so disappointing.

Symphonia

Banned
So work on my Gauntlet is slow but steady. No engine mods just yet, all the changes are purely cosmetic so far. I will be spending a fair bit of time and money on it, though, to make it a beast of a car. I would've gone for a super car like an Adder or Entity XF but, honestly, so many people are buying into them and they're the cars that always get trashed by other players. I prefer the look and overall feel of a muscle car.

E92 M3

Agreed. I think a lot of it is server limitations... but I wish there were more activities in the free roam. Until you get to level ~20 or so, there's basically nothing in the free roam at all. And then in the 20s you unlock crate drops, gang hideouts, armored trucks.. Although I still haven't seen a crate drop or an armored truck yet.

In the previews, you know they staged a lot of the activities too... They mentioned how you can be racing, and somebody else can be in the free roam and you can see them interact, etc... ANd that's only true if you do a "Quick Race" or whatever, which in 20 hours of play, I've never seen or done any of them. I did a quick death match only once, as well. From the previews, the world was seemingly described as a lot more seamless than it is. It sounded like your missions happened seamlessly in the free roam world, but in reality, you're removed from the sandbox and put into a "mission" instance of the world, where you do your job, and then head back to the sandbox instance of the world... A different one than you were in.

In some ways, that's an improvement -- for instance, it would suck if you could only do missions with other people in your instance of the free roam. But, in most ways, it's not truly what I think most expected from this game.

I was thinking it will be closer (not exactly) to SAMP - the San Andreas mulitplayer mod. That was played for many hours by me. There were no instanced missions, but there were nearly 200 players per server and depending on where you were playing, one could do a variety of things. Personally, I loved to rob people for hundreds of thousands of dollars and then transfer everything to my friend. So, by the time they get to me (if they do) I would have nothing. And trust me - people were pissed lol.

Lisker

So last night I was playing and through some scenario I don't fully remember the cops impounded my customized f620 I ended up getting booted out of online shortly thereafter.

I log on today and go to my garage the f620 is not there. Go to the Impound lot, not there. Is it recycled metal by now?

If you don't pick it up after a while, or take another vehicle out of your garage it is destroyed and you have to call Mors mutual to get it replaced.

Tawpgun

I hate how you have no control over what helicopters spawn for you.

Maverick early on was solid.
Then I get the cargobob which is cool but slow and big as hell.
Then the Frogger which is really good
Now I only have Annihilators spawning which suck in this game.

And I get killed/get bounties stolen from me from someone in a buzzard...

I really really hate this modern game design "Rich get richer" trope. I hate how all the good shit is behind unlocks. There should be ways to get any vehicle/weapon in the game, but later levels would allow you to access them better.

ie. There would be places on the map where certain weapons spawn. They'd truly be out of the way and rare. Maybe 1 spawn for each weapon. Things like a hunting sniper rifle out in the woods at some camp site, or an Uzi in gang territory, a rocket launcher and minigun in or around the military base etc.

But if you're a high enough level you can buy it at gun stores and buy ammo for it.

I managed to get into a lobby with an 8 year old last night. How do I know this?

At first all I hear is "Rick James." He just constantly says this into his mic, which is 2x louder than any other mic int he lobby. "Rick James. Rick James. Rick James." All I hear for 5 minutes. (BTW, R* thanks for giving me no indication who the hell is talking, let alone a mute feature).

After a while this evolves to "Rick James, invite me" then to "Someone invite me to a mission."

Finally, his mother, who was nearby is all "Nobody wants to play with an 8 year-old" and "That games' not for you." At which point someone in the lobby starts laughing at the kid and he gets upset.

That's some good parenting right there.

Ted

I was away this weekend with family and my Mrs said something funny and OT on the way. We were following the sat-nav and it gave the usual "at the next exit..." instruction. It then displays but does not speak the following instruction so I asked "so what do we do /after/ we turn off here". Her response was priceless....

"We pull over, kill all the baddies, steal the meth and get back to Trevor's place QUICK".

I genuinely LOL'd.

On a different note, some constructive criticism:

1) R* please fix your meaning of "Closed" in the matchmaking options and boosters/grinders, even though this isn't working 100% please at least /attempt/ to set your sessions to closed matchmaking.

I am tired of random people joining missions before I have had a time to send invites to friends and crew /but/ I am also tired of getting kicked or having to exit from annoying Criminal Records [or the like] boosting sessions when I have used Quick Join to find a *race*.

[FULL DISCLAIMER: I did this once (in a closed session) for about five races/laps but quickly realised it wasn't for me.]

2) R* please increase the number of missions available to all levels of players, even if for now they are more filler missions with no great complexity. Just some drug pick-up missions at new, interesting, locations would be a start.

Some more co-op missions with multiple elements would be great too, the one involving hacking the laptop is cool for example. I know heists are coming but there is plenty of scope even in the current missions to add some complexity.

There is one mission where you have to get to the top of the building site, kill a load of enemies and then steal a briefcase. Getting successfully to the top of the building site is pretty hard and can be done in a whole variety of ways but once you are done with this one element (get the package) the rest of the mission feels anti-climatic. I want to take that briefcase somewhere to get the bomb inside primed, then have to sneak it into a particular location whilst a team-mate distracts some guards, or something like that. Anything other than just getting rid of a couple of chase vehicles and then simply deliver whatever package we have been tasked with collecting this time.

3) R* please increase the sophistication/granularity of the "Quick Join" tool even if it means a new "Custom Join" option. It would be great to be able to select the type of race to search for, the length, the class and even ideally include/exclude particular races (e.g. Criminal Records). It would also be great to be able to choose PvP or PvE when quick joining "Missions". I like doing jobs with friends and crew but sometimes it's fun to meet new folk by doing co-op stuff through the quick join menu.

4) R*, I'm a country boy, I don't want to live in the city... can I have a ten car garage and a Winnebago to plan heists from... please? : )

Oh well, back to having fun and taking snaps...

Found a couple of BGAF members on a roof-top acting all suspicious like:
0_0.jpg

As a hobbyist RC heli pilot I know, rightly, that this IS the correct way up to land a plank:
0_0.jpg

: )

Tawpgun

I managed to get into a lobby with an 8 year old last night. How do I know this?

At first all I hear is "Rick James." He just constantly says this into his mic, which is 2x louder than any other mic int he lobby. "Rick James. Rick James. Rick James." All I hear for 5 minutes. (BTW, R* thanks for giving me no indication who the hell is talking, let alone a mute feature).

After a while this evolves to "Rick James, invite me" then to "Someone invite me to a mission."

Finally, his mother, who was nearby is all "Nobody wants to play with an 8 year-old" and "That games' not for you." At which point someone in the lobby starts laughing at the kid and he gets upset.

That's some good parenting right there.

The best was when there was this super whiny 10 year old playing in one of my lobbies, and he kept screaming almost on the verge of tears about how his car was impounded and he couldn't get it out because cops kept lighting him up. He was being super annoying and begging people to help.

So being the good GTA players that we all were... half the lobby descended upon him and kept killing him.

At which point he was just begging for someone to blow his car up so he could get it back from insurance. TOO BAD THATS PUNISHED BY THE GAME! GET SHIT ON KID!

He was getting so upset i have no idea why he didn't quit the lobby. He only left once his dad came in the room and was yelling at him to stop screaming and get off the game.

Also had a great time fighting off attackers with a bounty on my head. I hid on top of the construction building. I killed 2 guys that tried parachuting in. Killed another 2 twice when they insisted on landing a chopper. Must have killed an opposing player trying to snipe me from the maze bank building...

I only died because of a lapse in focus/judgement. I blew up 2 guys chopper that was landing and forgot there was a guy on the maze bank building and he picked me off.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I was away this weekend with family and my Mrs said something funny and OT on the way. We were following the sat-nav and it gave the usual "at the next exit..." instruction. It then displays but does not speak the following instruction so I asked "so what do we do /after/ we turn off here". Her response was priceless....

"We pull over, kill all the baddies, steal the meth and get back to Trevor's place QUICK".

I genuinely LOL'd.

On a different note, some constructive criticism:

1) R* please fix your meaning of "Closed" in the matchmaking options and boosters/grinders, even though this isn't working 100% please at least /attempt/ to set your sessions to closed matchmaking.

I am tired of random people joining missions before I have had a time to send invites to friends and crew /but/ I am also tired of getting kicked or having to exit from annoying Criminal Records [or the like] boosting sessions when I have used Quick Join to find a *race*.

[FULL DISCLAIMER: I did this once (in a closed session) for about five races/laps but quickly realised it wasn't for me.]

2) R* please increase the number of missions available to all levels of players, even if for now they are more filler missions with no great complexity. Just some drug pick-up missions at new, interesting, locations would be a start.

Some more co-op missions with multiple elements would be great too, the one involving hacking the laptop is cool for example. I know heists are coming but there is plenty of scope even in the current missions to add some complexity.

There is one mission where you have to get to the top of the building site, kill a load of enemies and then steal a briefcase. Getting successfully to the top of the building site is pretty hard and can be done in a whole variety of ways but once you are done with this one element (get the package) the rest of the mission feels anti-climatic. I want to take that briefcase somewhere to get the bomb inside primed, then have to sneak it into a particular location whilst a team-mate distracts some guards, or something like that. Anything other than just getting rid of a couple of chase vehicles and then simply deliver whatever package we have been tasked with collecting this time.

3) R* please increase the sophistication/granularity of the "Quick Join" tool even if it means a new "Custom Join" option. It would be great to be able to select the type of race to search for, the length, the class and even ideally include/exclude particular races (e.g. Criminal Records). It would also be great to be able to choose PvP or PvE when quick joining "Missions". I like doing jobs with friends and crew but sometimes it's fun to meet new folk by doing co-op stuff through the quick join menu.

4) R*, I'm a country boy, I don't want to live in the city... can I have a ten car garage and a Winnebago to plan heists from... please? : )

Send it to them. They may actually do something about it: gtaonline@rockstargames.com

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I have done, just in a slightly different format.

Sorting that mailbox must be some poor buggers job, I feel sorry for that person. He/She must have seen some fruity language in his/her time recently...

I had that same thought when I sent my suggestions, so I crossed out a few c*********s and added a couple more f***s to be on the safe side. ;P

Tawpgun

Threw a number of sticky bombs on the steps outside an Ammunation waiting for a bounty to come out.

Not going to lie, I laughed hard at that one.

That reminds me, There was this dude in this one lobby where he was going off killing everyone. He already had a bounty placed on him when I joined and he hid in his apartment. Coincidentally the same one I have.

He survived that one, and then proceeded to go on a killing spree. Another player put a bounty on him and I saw that he was running back toward his apartment. So I planted stickies at the entrance and garage. and waited.

Dude thinks he's home free and then

"Tawpgun has claimed the bounty"

The best was when there was this super whiny 10 year old playing in one of my lobbies, and he kept screaming almost on the verge of tears about how his car was impounded and he couldn't get it out because cops kept lighting him up. He was being super annoying and begging people to help.

So being the good GTA players that we all were... half the lobby descended upon him and kept killing him.
That's the other reason I was pissed it doesn't show who's talking. At least I could take some satisfaction in making him hate the game he shouldn't be playing.

Tawpgun

That's the other reason I was pissed it doesn't show who's talking. At least I could take some satisfaction in making him hate the game he shouldn't be playing.

Start Menu, Online, Players.

It shouldn't take that long and that many menu's, but you can see who's talking and mute from there. It's better than GTAIV at least where you had to go around to everyones blip and see if they were talking.

has the game been saving correctly for ppl on xbox? i haven't played in a couple days bc of people reporting that it wasn't saving their shit anyway

Tawpgun

Heists need to come soon, some of these mission payouts are brutal. Seems like racing is by far the best way to get money while still having fun, ie. not grinding.

I spent like 2 hours doing various races, deathmatches with a decent lobby and got like 50k.

Spent literally all of it on car mods :( Got turbo on my sultan though!

Start Menu, Online, Players.

It shouldn't take that long and that many menu's, but you can see who's talking and mute from there. It's better than GTAIV at least where you had to go around to everyones blip and see if they were talking.

I'll try to remember this, thanks.

---

So I was thinking, but the import/export missions for Simeon make no sense. It used to be about exotic cars and big payoffs but I'm getting generic cheap-ass cars for him and getting paid less than the 9k I'll make every 48 min at LSC.

It's not surprising that no one really makes an effort to deliver the vehicles online considering the hassle, investment, and payoff. I really think if they changed it to comets and GTs, etc. people would get a lot more interested.

No one really cares about crate drops, either. (Not to mention sometimes they glitch where they never drop)

Also, I saw security cars fairly regularly in solo online but only once in multiplayer online. I chased the damn thing and disappeared right in front of me. Is it really too much to ask that it travels from Point A to Point B before leaving off screen?

E92 M3

Heists need to come soon, some of these mission payouts are brutal. Seems like racing is by far the best way to get money while still having fun, ie. not grinding.

I spent like 2 hours doing various races, deathmatches with a decent lobby and got like 50k.

Spent literally all of it on car mods :( Got turbo on my sultan though!

This is the only GTA game where I enjoy the races tremendously - especially on motorcycles.

woolley

I tried to get into the online but I don't get it. I join and people just kill me and I have no idea what's going on. Do you just take jobs off your phone all the time?

Shadownet

Banned

I genuinely LOL'd.

You sir, have an awesome wife! *thumbs up*

Lisker

I hate how you have no control over what helicopters spawn for you.

Maverick early on was solid.
Then I get the cargobob which is cool but slow and big as hell.
Then the Frogger which is really good
Now I only have Annihilators spawning which suck in this game.

The think is, where an annihilator spawns, there is usually a frogger and maverick there too, if you are talking about the helicopter platform nead the beach.

And I get killed/get bounties stolen from me from someone in a buzzard...

That actually requires quite some skill as planes/helicopters do NOT lock on to players or their vehicles. They only lock on to the police for me.

I really really hate this modern game design "Rich get richer" trope. I hate how all the good shit is behind unlocks. There should be ways to get any vehicle/weapon in the game, but later levels would allow you to access them better.

ie. There would be places on the map where certain weapons spawn. They'd truly be out of the way and rare. Maybe 1 spawn for each weapon. Things like a hunting sniper rifle out in the woods at some camp site, or an Uzi in gang territory, a rocket launcher and minigun in or around the military base etc.

But if you're a high enough level you can buy it at gun stores and buy ammo for it.

This discussion is as old as MMO's. There are valid points on each side but in the end it's part of their stratigy to do it like this. On one side there is the people who are rank 100+ who worked for their ranks and who deserve the perks, but on the other hand there is people who don't have the same amount of time to play the game who still want to have to perks to stand a chance in the open world.

I think they explained part of this design choice by stating they made everything unlockable because of the cash cards. This way the people who have money to throw away can spend all the money in the world but they still have to do the same shit as the rest of us to unlock it. They just don't have to grind the money for it. Yes it can be unfair in a fight, but that is just the way it is. All you can do is avoid them and level up to unlock the stuff.

I for one don't mind, if you have the rank you deserve the perks. And there is no overpowered supergun in the game, and ammo doesn't alway come cheap. What bothers me more is the glitchers and cheaters. I can't wait for that cheater pool to be full of people, permanently, and not just for a month.

I got a dumb question: How does stealth work in freemode? Will it hide my blip at all or am I wasting my time trying?

I snuck of on a pedestrian last night to beat them for being fat and they turned around before they got there. I have 100/100 stealth.

Far as I can tell its entirely pointless.

Tawpgun

The think is, where an annihilator spawns, there is usually a frogger and maverick there too, if you are talking about the helicopter platform nead the beach.

That actually requires quite some skill as planes/helicopters do NOT lock on to players or their vehicles. They only lock on to the police for me.

This discussion is as old as MMO's. There are valid points on each side but in the end it's part of their stratigy to do it like this. On one side there is the people who are rank 100+ who worked for their ranks and who deserve the perks, but on the other hand there is people who don't have the same amount of time to play the game who still want to have to perks to stand a chance in the open world.

I think they explained part of this design choice by stating they made everything unlockable because of the cash cards. This way the people who have money to throw away can spend all the money in the world but they still have to do the same shit as the rest of us to unlock it. They just don't have to grind the money for it. Yes it can be unfair in a fight, but that is just the way it is. All you can do is avoid them and level up to unlock the stuff.

I for one don't mind, if you have the rank you deserve the perks. And there is no overpowered supergun in the game, and ammo doesn't alway come cheap. What bothers me more is the glitchers and cheaters. I can't wait for that cheater pool to be full of people, permanently, and not just for a month.

Yeah the helipad does the trick most of the time. But its a pain out north.

Buzzards are eazy mode. There isn't much skill to getting kills with them.

Yeah it sucks... and there are super guns in the game... I was getting LIT UP but the auto shotgun and some asshole spewing grenade launcher rounds in deathmatch the other day. It sucks matchmaking can't pair you with similar level players.

Ploid 3.0

I love when I get attention in my car -- quickest way to start a rumble (my favorite part of the game are people trying to get revenge for their death, when they started shit).

I was in my entity one day and passed a guy. He asked me what car that was and wanted me to drive to him so he can see it. I figured why not, it has a lot of shielding and bullet proof tires. I wanted to see what he would try to do. Turns out he was actually interested in looking at it. "Wow you have it customized and everything" He walked over to get in, I was surprised my settings wasn't on Crew+friends. I got his wanted level and I drove him around. At the end I left him with the car, not worried about him blowing it up or anything. He seemed to enjoy it, too bad he couldn't save it in his garage like it sounded like he wanted to do.

That day that they gimped Violent Duct, I didn't log off and was unaffected by the update, so I was still able to net the same RP and cash and must've played it at least 200 times. That got me through about 20 levels. I boosted through about 5 more levels worth of Criminal Records, but I could never find someone to do it with that wasn't a complete ass. I spent an absurd amount of time playing this game, yeah, because when it works, it's fucking awesome. Does that mean I deserved to lose my progress, Sniv?

I remember telling gaf members here that I was taking advantage of easy to get money before Rockstar made it a chore to collect. Some people got on my case about the taking advantage part. Now that it seem to be post total nerf I think I did the right thing for me. I'm not talking about Los Santos Customs, but just mission replay, and VD, No Hay Bronco, Out of Court Settlement being full reward each time. I made quite a good amount of money doing those, and all solo.

Speaking of cars, I finally buckled down and stopped spending money and got my Grotti Carbon last night. (I wasted 70k o Elegy upgrades and then realized I don't really like the damn thing). Man that thing has an awesome sounding engine and great stick pick-up. Looking forward to tricking it out once I get some cash.

I also happened into a rally race last night and was lucky that a friend was in the lobby. We cruised to a very easy win. There's a nice nail-biting aspect to it since you don't know where the fuck you're going.

J4g3r

I'm a bad sport for defending myself apparently.

*Sigh*

0_0.jpg

Just before this happened, I got a $1000 reward for being a good sport too!

Rage Kage

Neo Member
How do people make so much money in this game?

Granted, I am a level 12, but I only have 30k to my name. I don't die a lot, and I do a decent number of missions whenever I log on. Do the higher levels yield more $$ per mission? I can't see myself making 400k to buy an apartment. At this rate, I would need to be a level 147.

kmg90

I snuck of on a pedestrian last night to beat them for being fat and they turned around before they got there. I have 100/100 stealth.

Far as I can tell its entirely pointless.

The stealth stat determines how much noise your character makes in stealth mode, I'm guessing it's useful in deathmatch-like modes where your blip is displayed when you create noise in range of another player...

Imm0rt4l

I'm a bad sport for defending myself apparently.

*Sigh*

0_0.jpg

Just before this happened, I got a $1000 reward for being a good sport too!

Sorry, I'm a bit incredulous. I've blown up a few cars here and there and haven't been labeled a bad sport, usually when defending myself. How many cars did you blow up? 2 nights ago, I blew up a guys car and an hour and half later got a 1000k reward for being a good sport. Not saying the system is perfect, but I'm just incredulous whenever someone says I blew up a car and got transported to the bad sport servers.

Maybe someone can chime in on how much bad sport behavior they had to do in order to be labeled as such.

Omni

Mah baby. Ultra Blue is the best blue.
j1tk.jpg

Coincidentally, my character is also broke with about $25 left. When are we getting our cash stimuli?

J4g3r

Sorry, I'm a bit incredulous. I've blown up a few cars here and there and haven't been labeled a bad sport, usually when defending myself. How many cars did you blow up? 2 nights ago, I blew up a guys car and an hour and half got a 1000k reward for being a good sport. Not saying the system is perfect, but I'm just incredulous whenever someone says I blew up a car and got transported to the bad sport servers.

Maybe someone can chime in on how much bad sport behavior they had to do in order to be labeled as such.

I never blow up someone's car without a good reason to. I'm not one of those people who just attacks people on sight. If they attack me is a different story though.

I've defended myself from players quite a lot.

Top Bottom