• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

NinjaJesus

0_0.jpg

Would anyone be down for some commission work? (Serious...) I need help with my crew emblem.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know of a way to give away my money? I have about 2 mil I want to dump before I delete the character.

The way I did it recently was to finish a job (maybe only works with actual missions) with someone you want to trade with, then give them a % of your reward (iirc it's another option in the quick menu). Granted it's limited (and you have to have the cash on you at the time), but it might be a workaround until they enable straight wiring funds again.

So we're entering the fourth week of GTA Online now. Still no content creator. Still no heists. Still no new content. The stuff they promised would be coming "shortly" are nowhere in sight. The servers are still iffy. They're still "investigating" complaints about RP and cash not saving after each play session. The bonus money they first promised would be coming last week is still nowhere to be seen.

Good job on making GTA Online feel like a service with a bright future, Rockstar. I'm sure you've instilled great confidence in this mode. Lolz.

I know you responded thoughtfully to positive folks like me a number of pages back, but literally all I keep seeing from you is complaining. It almost comes across as trolling. You seem to just dive into the current discussion with your woes, looking for people to latch on to your pessimism. Is that how you moderate a forum/thread?

Okay, so R* haven't yet delivered on several promises, and this opening month has been shaky. We all know this. However this "mode" is pegged, thinking of it as a "service" is one of the most depressing things I can think of (as a player), and I generally dislike the term used in regard to games anyway. There are plenty of people in here having fun and enjoying GTA Online for what it is now, or at least trying to without Debbie Downers like yourself funking up the place. So please, maybe you could consider taking your "Lolz" elsewhere?

duckroll

I know you responded thoughtfully to positive folks like me a number of pages back, but literally all I keep seeing from you is complaining. It almost comes across as trolling. You seem to just dive into the current discussion with your woes, looking for people to latch on to your pessimism. Is that how you moderate a forum/thread?

Okay, so R* haven't yet delivered on several promises, and this opening month has been shaky. We all know this. However this "mode" is pegged, thinking of it as a "service" is one of the most depressing things I can think of (as a player), and I generally dislike the term used in regard to games anyway. There are plenty of people in here having fun and enjoying GTA Online for what it is now, or at least trying to without Debbie Downers like yourself funking up the place. So please, maybe you could consider taking your "Lolz" elsewhere?

Excuse me, but what the fuck is your problem? If you don't like someone complaining or expressing disappointment, you are free to ignore them. Trying to frame it as trolling and basically telling me to get the fuck out is rude and obnoxious. What does me being a mod have anything to do with this? You seem to take complaints and negativity against the game pretty personally. Maybe you should take your crap elsewhere instead?

Garland7G

You can't fault him for talking shit, the game is buggy as hell. I haven't played in the last week because of them. Each patch also seems to bring more nerfs than actual fixes.

Omni

So we're entering the fourth week of GTA Online now. Still no content creator. Still no heists. Still no new content. The stuff they promised would be coming "shortly" are nowhere in sight. The servers are still iffy. They're still "investigating" complaints about RP and cash not saving after each play session. The bonus money they first promised would be coming last week is still nowhere to be seen.

Good job on making GTA Online feel like a service with a bright future, Rockstar. I'm sure you've instilled great confidence in this mode. Lolz.

You know what, I agree 100%. And the worst part about it all, is that Online has huge potential... it's just tainted by issues that should have been worked out weeks ago.

duckroll

You know what, I agree 100%. And the worst part about it all, is that Online has huge potential... it's just tainted by issues that should have been worked out weeks ago.

There's definitely a huge potential. The worst thing about the problems is the instability of the cloud (or whatever the actual problem is) which results in lost progress. Transiting from just normal multiplayer into a full persistent character system where the data is saved on Rockstar servers was a big move, and it really seems they weren't ready for it at all.

If people can't feel safe playing the game and knowing that everything will be saved properly without weird stuff happening, it's going to result in a lot of people simply dropping the game. The sooner they fix this stupid problem, the better.

Ploid 3.0

I believe there is no way this game won't be made for next gen. Use this gen to work out the bugs, add content maybe, iron things out and next gen as launch, figure out how to make things more pleasant, swallow pride and do some 180s, etc. Sort of like the Diablo 3 PC situation, console launch is better, PC version will be updated to console standard some time in the future, maybe when the expansion is out. $60-$100 beta test. Right now we can't do much but talk about the state of this game. People are better off not playing as they can still lose their characters.

The way I did it recently was to finish a job (maybe only works with actual missions) with someone you want to trade with, then give them a % of your reward (iirc it's another option in the quick menu). Granted it's limited (and you have to have the cash on you at the time), but it might be a workaround until they enable straight wiring funds again.

Wow, that's pretty fucking funny. You sound like you didn't lose 91 levels and 260 hours of your time. Because I did and still I love this game because of the potential it has and the epic moments I've had in it, but it's developer has gnawing flaws. Rockstar really fucking sucks when it comes to treating their customers well. They're not honest, saying patches that nerf features are accidental glitches. I can't stand blind fans that just ignore a game's faults. Grow up. Go home and be a family man.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Excuse me, but what the fuck is your problem? If you don't like someone complaining or expressing disappointment, you are free to ignore them. Trying to frame it as trolling and basically telling me to get the fuck out is rude and obnoxious. What does me being a mod have anything to do with this? You seem to take complaints and negativity against the game pretty personally. Maybe you should take your crap elsewhere instead?

Sorry for coming across as rude. The fact that you're a mod has nothing to do with it (I would have confronted anyone the same way). I'm just surprised to see the same things being said again and again, and am hesitant to hit the ignore button. I have no reason to take complaints against the game personally, but it's a shame to see an OT filled with so much negativity. If you want me to take my crap (trying to encourage positivity/a good time?) elsewhere, I guess I'll take it back to the game.

Right now we can't do much but talk about the state of this game. People are better off not playing as they can still lose their characters.

Sure we can. People have been doing a pretty good job of it so far. If you have a problem with the game, e-mail Rockstar (like they asked us all to) or post on their support site. If you feel you're better off not playing the game, then maybe keep an eye on the news and come back when you think things have improved (the cash injection should be a good start).

Edit:
Wow, that's pretty fucking funny. You sound like you didn't lose 91 levels and 260 hours of your time. Because I did and still I love this game because of the potential it has and the epic moments I've had in it, but it's developer has gnawing flaws. Rockstar really fucking sucks when it comes to treating their customers well. They're not honest, saying patches that nerf features are accidental glitches. I can't stand blind fans that just ignore a game's faults. Grow up. Go home and be a family man.

You're right, I haven't lost any progress, but I'm not ignoring anything - I've acknowledged the game's faults. At the end of the day, I can only imagine that the developer is doing everything in both their customers' and their own interests to improve the overall quality of play. That's where I stop thinking about it. I wouldn't get bogged down in talk of lies and deceipt, as that instead seems childish to me.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, good sirs! The bolded gave me a chuckle. I'll try my best to simply ignore posts I don't like in future.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The longer this thread goes on, the more it becomes apparent that there are two groups of players - those playing the game as intended and having a lot of fun with it, and those who are not enjoying the game or are affected by bugs and need to repeatedly state this fact. Every day.

You lost a character? Really sorry but it's not coming back. Either start again or move on to another game, knowing that 260 hours is the very definition of getting your money's worth. Dumb design decisions? You're obviously not enjoying the game, say your piece a few times and then move the hell on.

These two sides are mutually antagonistic. It's annoying for fans to keep reading the same criticisms aimed at R*'s eye in the sky, and the unhappy campers are easily riled by defenders and those of us that have no sympathy for their plights.

I wish we could have two threads.

Sure we can. People have been doing a pretty good job of it so far. If you have a problem with the game, e-mail Rockstar (like they asked us all to) or post on their support site.

lol, yeah. Their replies only say to subscribe to newsfeed and don't actually help. I filed a claim on the site and their twitter and they've not replied at all. It's just too much for them to handle.

The longer this thread goes on, the more it becomes apparent that there are two groups of players - those playing the game as intended and having a lot of fun with it, and those who are not enjoying the game or are affected by bugs and need to repeatedly state this fact. Every day.

You lost a character? Really sorry but it's not coming back. Either start again or move on to another game, knowing that 260 hours is the very definition of getting your money's worth. Dumb design decisions? You're obviously not enjoying the game, say your piece a few times and then move the hell on.

These two sides are mutually antagonistic. It's annoying for fans to keep reading the same criticisms aimed at R*'s eye in the sky, and the unhappy campers are easily riled by defenders and those of us that have no sympathy for their plights.
Because one-sided discussions are what a forum's about. The game has loads of problems, but it's also done a lot right. I enjoy the fuck out of this game and think that in a few months time, it'll be smooth and great. Right now, though, it's hard to be so goddamned ignorant and blase about their hiccups when you lose two characters weeks apart. Or that progress isn't saving. These are not a minor issues.

Have you got the stinger? not sure which classic to get tbh.

I had both Stingers, definitely go with the Stinger GT. Handles better.

duckroll

This is not how NeoGAF works. Threads are not meant to be safe havens or circle jerks for people who are having a good time to pat each other on the back and only talk about positive things which they like. They are also not meant to be places to lock away complaints people have so no one else has to see them, or so they don't "disrupt" people having a good time.

If seeing other people post negative things about something you are enjoying affects your enjoyment, that's a personal problem and you should probably think about how silly it is. I'm glad that there are people who are enjoying the game and have awesome stories to tell. That's part of the reason why I read this thread. I want to love the game, but the fact that I can't even play it without the fear that I might put in 2-3 hours and lose the progress is a total put off. Meanwhile there are other things to play, but that's not going to stop me from being disappointed at how hard Rockstar dropped the ball.

I don't see why people have to be antagonistic about it in the first place. How does people being upset at the game not working right affect your enjoyment of the game? If you're not running into any bugs, and you're actually happy about the content that's out there right now, that's great. It only gets antagonistic when people are told to go elsewhere because of their "negativity" or whatever. What a bunch of bullshit.

Acorn

Have you got the stinger? not sure which classic to get tbh.
Nah, I've heard good things though. I might get a z type when I have a spare garage place and some more money.

Sports classics and muscle are probably my favourite classes at the moment. Quite like sedans too.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
This is not how NeoGAF works. Threads are not meant to be safe havens or circle jerks for people who are having a good time to pat each other on the back and only talk about positive things which they like. They are also not meant to be places to lock away complaints people have so no one else has to see them, or so they don't "disrupt" people having a good time.

If seeing other people post negative things about something you are enjoying affects your enjoyment, that's a personal problem and you should probably think about how silly it is. I'm glad that there are people who are enjoying the game and have awesome stories to tell. That's part of the reason why I read this thread. I want to love the game, but the fact that I can't even play it without the fear that I might put in 2-3 hours and lose the progress is a total put off. Meanwhile there are other things to play, but that's not going to stop me from being disappointed at how hard Rockstar dropped the ball.

I don't see why people have to be antagonistic about it in the first place. How does people being upset at the game not working right affect your enjoyment of the game? If you're not running into any bugs, and you're actually happy about the content that's out there right now, that's great. It only gets antagonistic when people are told to go elsewhere because of their "negativity" or whatever. What a bunch of bullshit.

i wouldn't go as far as saying that the negative posting 'upsets me', I have no personal stake in this after all. The reason I come to this thread is primarily for news and to hear about the fun stuff people are doing. But right now it feels like the conversation is dominated by a minority of posters with legitimate issues (that in most cases will not be resolved, or are fundamental design decisions that they disagree with). I understand their anger and bitterness, but frankly it's very dull to read about every day. And more than that, it creates a culture of negativity in the thread and around the game.

And so what will happen is that happy posters will leave the thread, leaving only the bitter and dejected to have a different kind of circle jerk (crywanking, we call it over in BritGAF :p). This happened to HaloGAF and I would hate to see it happen here as well.

Ploid 3.0

Do they drive differently than the SP versions? That's what I did at least. In SP you can load after you test a car if you buy it from the website also. If you play a lot of GTA O you should have 300m+ cooking in SP stock profits.

it creates a culture of negativity in the thread and around the game.

Well well deserved.

The game needs work. It's best to not be silent on these things, we are talking about it because it's on our minds, maybe word will trickle to Rockstar if they don't have their ears covered. Things like the match making, how empty the world can get (last night I had to stop playing because I just wanted to get on and mess around with other people, but it kept putting me in empty rooms), and a huge list of bad design that they may need to get on top of and start tweaking.

They aren't masters in this field, and this seem like a big experiment. A job search with preferred settings would be nice. Change how kicking work to teach people to make friends/crew/invite only lobbies for the world, and jobs. Do something different with the bad behavior triggers, a lot of innocent people get sent there, that passive mode is horrible too. A lot needs tightening up, and that character loss thing, to which they just say there's nothing they can do when asked.

https://twitter.com/RockstarSupport/status/388882679032074240

Acorn

Do they drive differently than the SP versions? That's what I did at least. In SP you can load after you test a car if you buy it from the website also. If you play a lot of GTA O you should have 300m+ cooking in SP stock profits.
Never even thought of that! God I feel dumb. I think they are the exact same as those in mp.

KAP151

I lost another few levels/cash today. It was all so random. Made sure I did the whole 'go to the rockstar store page to force a cloud save'.

The bugs are annoying sure, but the fact that there is no rhyme or reason to any of it pisses me off more than anything. One second its fine, the next... nothing is saved.

There is no indication that is might happen or any reason for it either.

I really love the game and am a huge GTA fanboy, but my patience is waring pretty thin. They have to sort this shit out now.

Kajiba

Actually now that I do the maths, that's an average of almost 12 hours a day. Jesus christ. The human logistics of this blow my mind.

Lol. Social Club said i put over 4 days last time checked. I was playing GTAO way to much those first two weeks. Game is definitely fun though.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Lol. Social Club said i put over 4 days last time checked. I was playing GTAO way to much those first two weeks. Game is definitely fun though.

I've done about 2 days I think and I thought I played a lot! Played enough to make my wife hate it at least lol

Had 2 hard locks while playing yesterday.

Other than that, got to 5 stars twice by driving around in my Adder blowin shit up with a friend in the passenger. Most fun I've had with the game so far.

JerC

Actually now that I do the maths, that's an average of almost 12 hours a day. Jesus christ. The human logistics of this blow my mind.

I wouldn't worry about it. I have almost 6 days worth of play time. I usually only get about 50 hours to play in the first month but I'm still recovering from an operation, so who knows why people play as much as they do.

zma1013

Why do I pay the mechanic? 50% of the time he refuses to bring me my vehicles and on the chance he does, he drives in hitting stuff and steps out only to say to me, "He he, yeah, that scratch was already there right?" What a dick. Like they actually programmed this guy to be a dick.

Tawpgun

Oh, and I lost a full levels worth of XP and maybe around 15k because my game froze and didn't exit me properly :(

Why do I pay the mechanic? 50% of the time he refuses to bring me my vehicles and on the chance he does, he drives in hitting stuff and steps out only to say to me, "He he, yeah, that scratch was already there right?" What a dick. Like they actually programmed this guy to be a dick.

It'd be interesting if they let you hire from a pool of people. Like a mechanic that you pay pennies to and all he does is repair your cars... to a certain extent. Or he takes long to do it. And would either refuse to bring you your car if far away or scratch it up on the way.

Or you pay a mechanic a little more and he will clean and repair vehicles and deliver them anywhere.
---------------------------------------

Also, when you buy a plane or helicopter do you always have access to it? How?

Derrick01

Banned
This is not how NeoGAF works. Threads are not meant to be safe havens or circle jerks for people who are having a good time to pat each other on the back and only talk about positive things which they like.

This needs to be said in seemingly every OT. Because that's what they eventually turn into from my experience.

This is why I knock his ass out whenever he delivers a vehicle. Haha

Try it, you'll feel 10 times better.

So I gave in and glitched some money last night. Wasn't planning to do it but after leaving a racing lobby it informed me I had been kicked by other players and that I would be punished, on top of that the game kicked me back into sp and upon reloading mp, surprise surprise my nights work up until that point wasn't saved. Now I don't know if you should play on, hoping that both of my nights progression would merge into one or if I should leave it until the next day hoping my progress is restored. This would mean that every time I get kicked I wouldn't be able to play again until the cloud catches up. I don't have much spare time, so fuck it, I'm glitching some money and seeing it as compensation for time wasted.

Ominym

Banned
I was loading up the game to play some online just now and noticed that Rockstar must've patched in the 2Spooky4U patch. Because a ghost carrying shopping bags keeps entering Michael's house.

0_0.jpg

I know, Amanda, it's very shocking.

There's definitely a huge potential. The worst thing about the problems is the instability of the cloud (or whatever the actual problem is) which results in lost progress. Transiting from just normal multiplayer into a full persistent character system where the data is saved on Rockstar servers was a big move, and it really seems they weren't ready for it at all.

If people can't feel safe playing the game and knowing that everything will be saved properly without weird stuff happening, it's going to result in a lot of people simply dropping the game. The sooner they fix this stupid problem, the better.

Beyond the server problems (which honestly and luckily haven't effected me much -- I lost a character early on in the first week, but not since), I think the game does need some considerable retooling.

Last night I played the "Crooked Cop" mission with 12 people. It was basically Cops vs. Crooks from GTAIV, the best online feature from GTAIV... And this here, 3 full weeks into GTAV, was the first time that I had played it with any normal amount of people. I'd wager that most people don't even know that these types of "missions" are in the game, because whenever you do a random "mission" you usually get assigned to a Last Team Standing which isn't a mission at all... It's a CS-style death match with blips turned on (WHY is the radar different for LTS I don't know)... I suspect that there are a great number of Crooked Cop-like player vs. player vs. AI missions, but you never get to play them. This is indicative of a bigger problem, perhaps one that is more of a problem than the server issues (which I trust they will figure out).

That you basically can't play most modes with any sizeable group is a huge problem. If I do a random death match from a quick job, it can usually get 10 - 16 players, but then that group dissolves after the match and you're looking at 4 or 5 players in a room. They might play a race together, and then that group leaves and nobody is left... and the only people left are voting for "replay" of the last race.

Also, in hosting maybe... 30 games or so I've only had one full game, a race, which again dissolved as soon as it was over.

Needless to say, there is a major problem with matchmaking in this game. The problem is... it either doesn't exist or it doesn't work.

Eleuin

The voting system is counter intuitive. It is hard enough to fill a free aim lobby but the lack of choice after a game often breaks up the room. If you aren't going to let us party up and tackle specific missions (that should be organized accordingly) at least let us keep refreshing until we find something we like.

Top Bottom