• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

E92 M3

I think the problem is that they tried making things too big and too real in Online. If people had access to everything right off the bat (or at least what they'd gotten to in the story mode) it'd be a lot more interesting and I doubt there'd be as much incentive to grief / cheat / whatever.

Is anyone else really worried there's going to be heists where you get screwed over in terms of a payout like how there were in GTAV?

I'm honestly expecting heists to give 75k max, at this point.

To be fair, the community kept asking to reduce the death tax, so I think the last pay cut was justified.

Death penalty was bullshit to begin with. Sorry to be abrasive, but the best part of Online is the free roam.

The in game economy is in the toilet and R* should of fixed it ASAP.

Money means absolutely nothing anymore. Level 10's with 400K Apartments and a array of fully modded Super/Sports vehicles. You can grind 7k RP in about 90 seconds, so you can go from being fresh off the plane to fully loaded in an afternoon.

Duped cars are everywhere and now the whole glitch with people keeping (and therefore insuring) tanks, buzzards and jets is already spreading quickly.

Exactly. At this point R* needs to rethink their strategy and save this sinking ship. They can start by being more transparent with us and working with the community.

Rockstar can't afford to give some tiny site like NeoGAF the same special treatment as big gaming communities like IGN, Destructoid, G4, a hip hop radio station, and 15 cities with Gamestops in them.

Heh, Rockstar apparently hates us. I was tempted to join the DTOID group the first day I was able to log in but I love this site more.

If anyone knows someone from Rockstar, they should send them a friendly message so we can have just one crew for 360 and PS3.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
While I wish the content creator and heists were here already, I'm having a lot of fun with the game as is still. I just hit level 50 at around 60 hours play, have a couple of cars that I've upgraded nicely and just saved up enough to buy a 10-car apartment. I've gotten there with a good mix of coop missions, survival, lots of races and dicking around in free roam getting cars and doing bounties. That's what the game is, and you either like it or you don't. Or more specifically, it's possible to have had enough. I don't think the community is dying so much as it's just natural attrition as the less super hardcore players drop out.

metzger203

I think it's kind of shitty that you don't have a choice between purchasing a Banshee with a hard top or no top. You just have to roll the dice and hope you get the one you want. They should at least add the option as a mod at LSC.

border

I think the problem is that they tried making things too big and too real in Online. If people had access to everything right off the bat (or at least what they'd gotten to in the story mode) it'd be a lot more interesting and I doubt there'd be as much incentive to grief / cheat / whatever.

They should have given access to every toy in the box immediately. Having to go through a tedious leveling-up process just to get some of the weapons I liked in the Story Mode is fucktarded. I hate that every developer now wants to do this Call of Duty bullshit where you have to grind the multiplayer for hours just to get some cool stuff.

Finalizer

Where can you find the dune buggies in online btw?

Outside of offroad races, the only place I can say for sure is the Chopper Trail (I think that's the name of the mission) mission, a Trevor mission you get at level 70. You chase down a chopper across the desert in a Dune Buggy, then bring some van back to Trevor's place. Apparently, if you're in a dune buggy when the mission ends, there's a chance you'll still be in it when you go back to free roam. AFAIK you can't mod it at all, but apparently there's some way to insure all types of vehicles so that may not matter anyway.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
The in game economy is in the toilet and R* should of fixed it ASAP.

Money means absolutely nothing anymore. Level 10's with 400K Apartments and a array of fully modded Super/Sports vehicles. You can grind 7k RP in about 90 seconds, so you can go from being fresh off the plane to fully loaded in an afternoon.

Duped cars are everywhere and now the whole glitch with people keeping (and therefore insuring) tanks, buzzards and jets is already spreading quickly.

Crime is everywhere just like the game!

Reule

What's the best way to get the Bagger? I swear I never see it in free roam. I know I can find it on the streets during Out of Court Settlement but I want one in the wild.

Also, are Fufu, Chastity, and Nikki the only girls in the strip club? Trying to collect all the numbers.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Injection sucks at offroad it just slides everywhere. If you want mountain climbing ability its all about the Sultan.

A buddy and I nicked some super car off the street and took it for a spin in the countryside. We were taking it in turns to launch off stuff and do crazy stunts, which was fun enough. But by the end the car was squished into this really strange, pointy shape, which seemed to make it more aerodynamic. Plus the wheels were contorted in such a way that it actually had better acceleration than before. As far as mountain climbing goes, it was unsurpassed. I've never seen anything like it. We were laughing our arses off at this stupid crushed tin can absolutely bombing it up the slopes and flying into the air.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I wish they gave us more mini game stuff to do in free roam that we saw in most gta games like taxi and vigilante or whatever.

Even if it had a low payout it'd at least be something.

Or the drug drop off thing they have in the story mode.

Imm0rt4l

I'm honestly expecting heists to give 75k max, at this point.

Death penalty was bullshit to begin with. Sorry to be abrasive, but the best part of Online is the free roam.

Exactly. At this point R* needs to rethink their strategy and save this sinking ship. They can start by being more transparent with us and working with the community.

I disagree to it being bullshit. It's fine enjoying free roam, but having some sort of incentive to stay alive is apart of the game. It's in the single player, I'm not sure why having some actual weight to dying is bs. I think it makes free roam that much more fun because if you're saving up for that supercar and you get into a skurmish in freeroam then the stakes are higher. I feel like there isn't enough stuff to spend money on as it is.

Grimsen

Looks like I was wrong about the app being useless.

The license plate thing is neat, but you can also add tinted windows to cars that can't get them usually. I added them to my Bullet and my hardtop Banshee.

Didn't work on the Injection though.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I figure Playing GTA Online... is quite a bit like making love to a beautiful woman.

You work your way slowly up from the bottom.
Even if you start off small, pretty soon you'll be on top.
You won't always get what you want, but it'll be worth it in the end.
If you spend real money to be harder and faster, it'll be over before you know it.
Grinding is acceptable, but it's not the way things were designed.
There's no need to rush and blow it all early.

And it's err... better... with your friends?

Jomtos

Neo Member
I figure Playing GTA Online... is quite a bit like making love to a beautiful woman.

You work your way slowly up from the bottom.
Even if you start off small, pretty soon you'll be on top.
You won't always get what you want, but it'll be worth it in the end.
If you spend real money to be harder and faster, it'll be over before you know it.
Grinding is acceptable, but it's not the way things were designed.
There's no need to rush and blow it all early.

And it's err... better... with your friends?

Hahahahahahha omg

Future

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HofYvHxduE0

GTA online in a nutshell

it's funny because it's true

Haha. Loved the part near the end when he spends 90% of the time trying to commute to the moving target.

Sums a lot of the crap design issues. Wish it included the crap matchmaking and load times. Tired of racing with this now skeleton of 1 other person out of 15 available where no one else joins? Well let's make you reload the free roam map before you can choose to join a different race with new people, just to load a different areas race, only to get kicked by a crew who is boosting and get sent back into free roam. Just to try again, and be put back into criminal records with 2 other people.

Tired of racing? Any of the team deathmatch games are almost always uneven since you can't get a full lobby before a match ever. Parachuting? Lets do it with guns making it so you can float for a long ass time only to get shot near the end and not make the landing, giving you no money and minimal xp. Survival? Due to crap sharp shooting AI, armor with the resilience of a wet paper bag and AI that materializes behind you, the only real strategy is to find the perfect camping spot and fire from safety.

It's the above that finally made me stop playing. Too much of a hassle, and free roam ain't that great unless you have friends to back you up. I'll check it out again when the stimulus comes and for the free dlc

Tawpgun

Who the hell is xGnr?

He sent me a message saying HaloGAF which is the subcommunity im active in here, so I thought he was an ally but then he killed me. There was a dude terrorizing everyone in a tank. I was trying to take him down but I guess he had friends... Its bullshit how some people can just buy a tank and there's no way to get rockets.

Like I said before, there should be a way to get rockets but not be able to buy ammo for them.

I've got everything I need now if I don't have friends online I'm not bothered about playing, I free roam I don't wanna do co-op missions I can't go into random free roams as everyone is a dick.

Plus every car I own is a magnetic for idiots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HofYvHxduE0

GTA online in a nutshell

it's funny because it's true

ibpKsy1nnEwjkE.gif

Some fucker was chasing me around in the tank, and after killing me once, apparently lost the will to live, as I managed to saunter up and throw him out, and then proceeded to return the favour, chasing him around and killing him around 10 times before he finally holed up somewhere like a little bitch.

Tawpgun

They really do need to start getting content out ASAP. And up the payments.

I also dont like how the community is fragmented across 3 aim modes.

Free roam should be free aim, as this helps decrease griefing and auto aim is dumb.

And all other game modes should be the hosts decision like in GTAIV.

duckroll

Free roam should be free aim, as this helps decrease griefing and auto aim is dumb.

And all other game modes should be the hosts decision like in GTAIV.

I actually like this idea. A lot. As a hub, the free roam mode should have as little separation of players as possible. For missions and activities, it should be up to the people who are playing to decide with the host what they want.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I don't know if I'm having fun playing this or I just want to rank up to where my friends are. I'm level 19 now. I had problems where my friends would select to go to free roam after every mission instead of doing another mission.

The whole matchmaking in this game is fucked up. If I want to play a different game mode, don't make me a fucking host, help me join a game in progress. You end up with several people trying to host a game with none of them joinable with each other.

At least now I have a shit load of ammo. I'm a beast on survival.

True enough although sometimes the cars just change for me. Some people in their haste wouldn't notice a bike on their way in and think "Sweet a motorcycle, they're rare!"
I should clear up, I like your idea, I just wanted to take the opportunity to bash the weird vehicle despawning when going into LSC.

lem0n

Some fucker was chasing me around in the tank, and after killing me once, apparently lost the will to live, as I managed to saunter up and throw him out, and then proceeded to return the favour, chasing him around and killing him around 10 times before he finally holed up somewhere like a little bitch.

Dick Justice
(Today, 03:53 AM)

Imm0rt4l

Is there a way to get the quickjoin to work for me properly? I'd like to join death matches, but it always makes me host. Do I have to do any port forwarding or something? ps3.

batbeg

What's a good mission to farm for money? I seem to do a lot of down the drain which pays out pretty decently but I'm pretty sure I haven't even done most missions

Haha. Loved the part near the end when he spends 90% of the time trying to commute to the moving target.

Sums a lot of the crap design issues. Wish it included the crap matchmaking and load times. Tired of racing with this now skeleton of 1 other person out of 15 available where no one else joins? Well let's make you reload the free roam map before you can choose to join a different race with new people, just to load a different areas race, only to get kicked by a crew who is boosting and get sent back into free roam. Just to try again, and be put back into criminal records with 2 other people.

Tired of racing? Any of the team deathmatch games are almost always uneven since you can't get a full lobby before a match ever. Parachuting? Lets do it with guns making it so you can float for a long ass time only to get shot near the end and not make the landing, giving you no money and minimal xp. Survival? Due to crap sharp shooting AI, armor with the resilience of a wet paper bag and AI that materializes behind you, the only real strategy is to find the perfect camping spot and fire from safety.

It's the above that finally made me stop playing. Too much of a hassle, and free roam ain't that great unless you have friends to back you up. I'll check it out again when the stimulus comes and for the free dlc

Pretty much with you.

The matchmaking is the biggest problem for me. Plus, the innablity to play in any mode with friends. To play in a "full" mission/mode/job with friends, you MUST join a random, then quickly invite your friend, and just hope he makes it in. If he doesn't, he gets kicked back to the open world or is forced to spectate. When the game ends, the odds of that room sticking together for 1 more full match are almost nill ... so again you have to quit back to free roam, you usually get separated, and do it all over again.

It's pretty crummy.

They wanted this menu-free experience, and in many ways it is, or they're hidden behind something "in world" (your phone)... but really... I would trade in this system for menus ANY day, if that meant avoiding the 45-second cloud-view loading screens for every successful/unsuccessful match join.

What's a good mission to farm for money? I seem to do a lot of down the drain which pays out pretty decently but I'm pretty sure I haven't even done most missions

Pause > Online > Jobs > Host Job > Rockstar Created > Coveted

Takes about five minutes to do (quicker if you have friends to do it with). Pays $12,000, can be repeated by pressing square at the score/rewards screen.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Some dude with a bounty jacked a green Simeon car before I could get to it. There were also 2 other dudes trying to get to the car that got there first.

Somehow I got past them and sticky bombed the target car. Blew it up, got 1k and spoiled everyone else's chance at turning in that car. If I couldn't get it, no one would!

And then I escaped by diving my car into the cracks between the freeway ramps by going over the barrier and somehow getting free to drive away. They tried to chase me but couldn't figure out how to follow.

Suckers!

Imm0rt4l

Some dude with a bounty jacked a green Simeon car before I could get to it. There were also 2 other dudes trying to get to the car that got there first.

Somehow I got past them and sticky bombed the target car. Blew it up, got 1k and spoiled everyone else's chance at turning in that car. If I couldn't get it, no one would!

And then I escaped by diving my car into the cracks between the freeway ramps by going over the barrier and somehow getting free to drive away. They tried to chase me but couldn't figure out how to follow.

Suckers!

I like your style

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
^^^ Haha

I had an amazing bounty hunt this morning, involving the target flying around in a Titan, pursued by a handful of eager beavers in choppers and smaller planes.

I rigged a random stunt plane with a sticky and tried to get close enough to detonate, but after about 5 minutes of hectic air maneuvering, I gave up and popped myself. Still so fun jostling with the other pilots and imagining what was going through the bounty's mind as he hefted through the skies.

It was truly the stuff GTAO is made of.

The funniest thing that happened to me was when I had a bounty set on me by a npc.

I sort half forgot about the bounty on my head and the server was half empty. I decided to get a chopper and just off the Maze building and parachute my way down. I see a blip coming near me and I think to myself, screw this guy he's all the way on the ground waiting for me to land.

I'm trying too look for him on the ground but I am way too far up to see anything. I let go of aim and let the camera return to normal so I can enjoy the view of the skyline

Suddenly I hear a chopper and before I can move my camera I'm scrambled by its rotor blades!

I'm dying with laughter as the damned chopper was going full tilt and half inverted.

I send the guy a text, "Well done sir, well done!"

He texts back, "Had to improvise = )"

Top Bottom